Can someone explain the life orb tyranitar set to me?

By explain, I mean tell me exactly what the EVs in each stat are for. Like, what it's trying to ko or outrun.

Where I'm going with this is: Will I miss out on any key 1 or 2hkos by using expert belt instead of life orb? I'd rather avoid the extra passive damage if possible.

Brave
252 Atk / 24 Spe / 232 SpA
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Crunch

Basically you want to kill all walls

Skarmory
Gliscor
Bronzong
Blissey
Celebi
Jirachi
Dusclops
Forretress
Cresselia

ect. Thats the main purpose. And nothing really switches in safe.

cant get past Haryama, Machamp and Hitmontop too =P
but yeah, Crunch is better than Stone Edge/Earthquake, so Cresselia doesnt wall you

and imo Expert Belt is a lot better too, Life Orb takes the surprise factor away.

Do I really need all those SAtk EVs? According to my calcs 100 is enough to seal a 2hko on Hippowdon. (And therefore, Donphan.)

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And what would you do with more EVs elsewhere? Hippowdon can (and I think, should, on several teams) run Special Defense.

I prefer using Crunch and Stone Edge, which is I believe what is reccomended in the analysis. Most things you would want to use Earthquake on get hit hard enough already by either Fire Blast or Ice Beam, so you aren't really missing out on much essential coverage, but you get that extra punch of power from Stone Edge which you sometimes need to take out bulky Fliers like Zapdos and Togekiss reliably. I also wouldn't use Brave, as then you are being outsped by alot of the walls you would instead be nabbing surprise kills on.

Whether to go lonely or naughty is a hard choice IMO, as with neutral sp def you can afford to take a surf or two from things like vaporeon, but with neutral def you can usually take an Earthquake from Swamperts and Hippowdons, which is useful if you can only 3HKO them

The damage boosts offered by Life Orb and Expert Belt are identical for SE attacks.
Life Orb is around to offer the bonus damage to swtiches.

edit: Danyul, with few EVs in speed, it would seem Life Orb Tyrannitar is being outsped by just about everything in the first place. Losing a few points of speed in exchange for keeping your physical/special defense is a solid play.

The damage boosts offered by Life Orb and Expert Belt are identical for SE attacks.
Life Orb is around to offer the bonus damage to swtiches.

edit: Danyul, with few EVs in speed, it would seem Life Orb Tyrannitar is being outsped by just about everything in the first place. Losing a few points of speed in exchange for keeping your physical/special defense is a solid play.
Umm... no.. Expert Belt is x1.2 to SE hits, Life Orb is x1.3 to ALL hits...

I'm not saying he's a liar, I just want to know where he found the information so I can use the site myself :p

Life Orb
Holder's damage is boosted by 30%. The holder takes damage equal to 10% of its max HP each turn it uses an attack move. Rock Head does not block the damage caused to the holder. Life Orb does not damage the holder if the attack hits a Substitute. Life Orb damages the holder even if it uses Dragon Rage, Night Shade, and Seismic Toss, but does not boost their damage.
Expert Belt
When the holder uses an attack that is super effective on the target, the damage is increased by 20%.
Posted to clear things up. Got it from the Newer still DP Reseach Thread

Also the spread 252 Atk / 232 SpA / 24 Spe helps maximize it's attacking capabilities but the speed IVs are there to let you outspeed 31 IV/0 Speed EVs Blissey.

Life Orb does take off 10% and can hurt you in the long run, but remember that Tyranitar with Brave nature is slow and will most likely get hit so Life Orb sounds good.

Expert Belt on the otherhand boosts super effective attacks and the standard Crunch/Earthquake/Fire Blast/Ice Beam set can hit a mojority of things super effective.

If you have 29 HP IVs on the other hand, and you use Life Orb you can deal 11 hits instead of 10 because the Life Orb recoil is rounded down.

Erm... I noticed recently that the Life Orb set was remade recently, before Tyranitar was Adamant with the EV spread 88 SpA / 196 Spe / 226 Atk IIRC with the 88 SpA to do 53%+ on Hippowdon with 252HP/0SpD. What advantages / disadvantages does the newer one have over the older one, why change?

If you have 29 HP IVs on the other hand, and you use Life Orb you can deal 11 hits instead of 10 because the Life Orb recoil is rounded down.
Although that is definitely true, I would still rather have the 31 IVs to squeeze out the last bit of HP. It's pretty much impossible to make 11 attacks without ever getting hit/taking damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)