Applets / Resources section on site

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Right now many of the useful tools to help battlers are located in two threads: The D/P info / Resource thread in Stark and Caelum's Best of C&C. Neither of these are very visible to anyone who wants to find a specific tool quickly, and does not know Smogon very well. I propose that a section on the main site (possibly under the "learn" heading on the main page) be created. It would have a list of calculators, applets and other useful programs each with a short description and links to a page dedicated to that program with more in depth information and a download link/link to the site where it is hosted.

This would help make the tools more accessible and maybe cut down the need for stickyes.

I did suggest this before in the Best of C&C thread, Tangerine said this:
I can't see why we can't have a calculator/applet section on the site
But nothing else was done.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, I happen to agree with this one - and I don't really see it being too difficult to implement. I'll look into it.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think the reason that chaos is slightly adverse to the idea of incorporating java applets in the site is that the html code to load java applets doesn't work correctly for all computers, and he doesn't like stuff in his site that doesn't work correctly for everyone. In fact, a long time ago he suggested to me to convert my applets to javascript, but unfortunately I don't know any javascript and so I couldn't do that. I don't know if this still holds though.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, putting applets on the main site is not something chaos wants to do.

As for the Damage Calculator -- I have been working on it over the past year (it's a very big project). I've been working with chaos on it, off and on. It's very full-featured already, and some badgeholders have even given it a test drive during some occasional impromptu "testing sessions" I have requested on IRC. It's still not ready for prime time, but it's getting close.

The Damage Calculator WILL be part of the Smogon main site, and chaos already has hooks for it built into the site already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)