Diplomacy - The Art of Treachery SIGNUPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Shiv

Diplomacy -
The art and practice of conducting international relations by negotiating alliances, treaties, agreements etc.
That is until one can freely strike..

About The Game

From Wikipedia:

"Diplomacy is a strategic board game created by Allan B. Calhamer in 1954. Its main distinctions from most board wargames are its negotiation phases (players spend much of their time forming and betraying alliances with other players) and complete absence of luck. Set in Europe just before the beginning of World War I , Diplomacy is played by seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European power. Each player aims to move his or her units - and defeat those of others - to win possession of a majority of strategic cities and provinces marked as "supply centers" on the map; these supply centers allow players who control them to produce more units."

A player is eliminated from the game when they no longer control any supply centers. Alternatively, a player can choose to forfeit. This will leave his/her pieces on the board where they will hold or idle during every turn. Victory is achieved by a single player controlling 18 of the 34 supply centers OR if all of the remaining players agree to a tie. Diplomacy has 3 phases. Since this is online, you can talk to other nations any time you wish. The game begins in Spring of the year 1901 where you issue your first orders. After that turn is Fall 1901 and you issue your second round of orders. And finally the year ends in Winter 1901 where you either add or subtract to your total number of supply centers and in turn your army depending on how many you captured or lossed in Fall. Then the year begins anew with Spring 1902.

Even though this is a game of Diplomacy, you are never required to honor any promises you made to any nation. You are always out for yourself.

Rules (these are not all the rules please check the rulebook for further reading):
  • All units have the same strength
  • No two units may occupy the same space at the same time
  • An Army can be ordered to move into an adjacent inland or
    coastal province
  • A Fleet can be ordered to move to an adjacent water province
    or coastal province
  • Winter is a very short phase where players may only build or disband
  • You can only build in your Home Supply Centers

This is the map we will be using for this game.

Here are some standard orders showing the 4 different orders of the game, Move, Support, Convoy, and Hold:
France Spring 1901 - A Par-Bur, A Pic S A Par-Bur, A Lon-Bre, F Eng C A Lon-Bre, F NTH Holds
In this example move, an Army in Par moves to Bur, the Army in Pic supports the movement from Par to Bur, the Army in Lon moves to Bre, the Fleet in Eng convoys the Army in Lon to Bre, and the Fleet in NTH holds.

Helpful Links:

Diplomacy - a Five Minute Guide
The Diplomacy Rulebook
Diplomacy Archive - an archive of Strategy and Tactics articles
Clearer Version of the Map with the abbreviations listed in full
Online Diplomacy Playing Site, previous games can be viewed here if you want to get a feel for the game

Questions and Answers:
If you have any questions I will answer them here.

This is a Signups thread. Please post here indicating that you wish to play if you want to play. If you want you can tell me why you think you should be playing, otherwise you can just post 'in' or whatever. I will be selective as I am looking for active players that I think will be good at the game. Anybody can attempt to sign up though!

1. Outlaw
2. LonelyNess
3. Serenity
4. Bass
5. billymills
6. moot
7. darkie

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)