Sunday, bloody Sunday (OU Sunny Day RMT)

Team Sunday

By End Fashion

---

Preface:

Every time I log into this forum I see an OU Rain Dance team of some sort - 90% of which consist of the same Pokemon or are slight variants of one another. Hail and Sandstorm stall teams are almost as common, not to mention standard teams (then there are the Trick Room teams, Baton Passers etc). However, one team type that I rarely see in OU is Sunny Day - the reasons for which I can understand.

Firstly, I have no clue as to what their niche is. Rain Dance is such a potent and complimentary move - it not only powers up speed for sweeping, but powers up STAB as well (what's more, Swift Swimmers tend to have better typing and more effective movepools). On the other hand, Sunny Day gives speed to poorly equipped Pokemon, whilst powering up rivals' STAB moves. What good is that? Sunny Day also falls short of being a stall team, as the Pokemon typically lack defensive bulk, have typing issues, and the weather support does not offer any residual damage.

This brings me to my ultimate question: What is the point of Sunny Day? Honestly, I can't say I've worked it out, but I've given a shot at a team anyway. To this point I've decided it is a midway point between Rain Dance and stall - it can work patiently to inflict status onto teams, and work to set up sweeps and pummel them.

One drawback of the setup is the reliability of some of the moves - moves such as Sleep Powder and Stun Spore are great (particularly Stun Spore's ability to hit all types, unlike Thunder Wave), but when they miss it can spell disaster. It can really be a knife-edge situation. However, when it all works to plan, the results can be magnificent. Rain Dance teams are very popular at the moment, and rightfully so. Their ability to crush teams at will is very inviting, and usually quite reliable. However without weather support, they can be quite frail and rather docile. I have found myself taking on RD teams with much more ease than with most other teams, which is nice :)

Anyway, on to the team...
---

Lineup:

---

Building:
This has been a long and arduous process, to say the least. Unlike most weather teams where you simply pick from a list of weather-friendly Pokemon, a Sunny Day team needs more general support and, in fact, I found myself neglecting all but two sun- or fire-enhanced Pokemon. Early models of the team included the usual suspects such as Shiftry and Exeggutor, as well as the likes of Rapidash and Arcanine who like to come in on fire attacks. The problem was a lack of synergy, the trouble it took to get the frail sweepers in, and their lack of performance once in. All too often with Exeggutor and Shiftry I would find myself falling short and wondering why I wasted a slot on my team for nothing. If Exeggutor had Earth Power in its arsenal, then it would be a real force. Unfortunately, it doesn't, meaning (as far as I'm concerned) I have to choose between HP [Ground] (steel, fire, electric types), or HP [Ice] (dragon, flying, grass) or HP [Fire] (steel, grass, bug) and not being able to have coverage of ground and ice - basically the STABs on offer are insufficient as far as I'm concerned and the HP selection fails to cover enough bases. Shiftry just lacks the power I want in a sweeper.

1. Lead

This was not a simple decision. I needed something fast and reliable, and I didn't really want a throw away item. My initial thought was Crobat, who works wonders for my Rain Dance team. I think he could have worked here, but I wanted something a bit different. I also tested Yanmega, Ambipom, Infenape, Smeargle, Uxie, Azelf and Arcanine, all of which had decent results. The premise was to use thier ability to sleep an opener (bar Infernape and Ambipom, who simply started inflicting damage and setting up rocks) and start to criple teams early. The problem was that this brought on sleep clause, and I wasn't too sure if the opener was worth wasting that clause on for most teams. I'd probably much prefer to either take it out, worry about my own setup, or just work around it with counters, paralysis etc. and keep the sleep for when I really need it. After lots of testing, I went to Jolteon. He is quick, takes out Crobat and usually Aerodactyl (unless they EQ, which most don't) and can baton pass out of counters to scout. He also fares well against ghosts, which Rotom does too but takes more damage from incoming Shadow Balls. Overall I am happy with him, as he also works as a good counter against Rain Dance, and his good synergy with Gyarados.

2. Sunny Day user

Well, it is a Sunny Day team, so I figured I'd better include something that can use it to their advantage. Jumpluff sticks out for it's immense speed and ability to inflict status. More detail is given later on, but just to give an example of how annoying he can be, this Jumpluff set (with Encore) can take out a Curselax (that said, anything it can outpace is going to have trouble as long as Sleep Powder hits).

3. Bringing the fire

Sunny Day boosts fire attacks, so a fire type would be expected. Trouble was, I don't particularly like using fire types with the prevalence of EQ and other nasties that resist it. A number of Pokemon were in this role, namely Heatran, Rapidash and Arcanine. In a UU team, Rapidash would be great, and it even performed well in this team thanks to Wide Lens and Megahorn, but again it fell short sometimes and got tired from repeated switch-ins if hazards were out. Flash Fire struck me as a cool move since I was going to be using a cohort of grass-type Pokes, and in the sun this would make Heatran a massive force. In fact, I will likely revisit Heatran in the future now that I am more comfortable with the tram as a whole, but for now I have chosen Rotom, who seems completely left-field given the above rationale. Basically, Sunny Day makes Overblaze act as if it were STAB, and he offers good fighting and explosion resistance. Furthermore, he brings Thunder Wave to slow stuff down, and can bring out the sun to hamper other weathers. Basically, a Rotom forme finds its way onto nearly any team I make anyway.

4. Defending

Up to this point I had no real defense. Thick Fat immediately came to mind, so I went down that path. I saw opposing Heatrans as a real threat to my own team, and found that Snorlax can come into him with relative ease. Heatran is most likely to hit my team with a Fire Blast or something, which Snorlax takes like a champ and counters with EQ. However, I saw this (along with any specailly-based opponent) as a great opportunity to set up with Curses and push offensively. Without going into too much more detail, Snorlax has become one of the most impressive Pokemon on the team, if not the real workhorse.

5. Status update

Tangrowth had been in my team since the early conceptions basially because it possessed a sun-enhanced ability. His role has changed a lot over the course of the team - from sweeper to status enducer to go-to guy. Now he basically acts to come into the big physical threats and topple them with status and/or attack.

6. Filling the gap

I honestly had no idea what to do here. Do I go for more status? Do I cover defensive holes? Support? Rapid Spin? I'd had so many different pokemon on this team that I was getting headaches just thinking about it. I figured I needed something Intimidating (literally) and a physical threat. Too often I was walled by Blissey, especially if Snorlax had fallen. I thought of Scizor and Lucario, but I'm a little iffy having so much fire weakness in my team with little to cover it. I figured Salamence would be good here as he can use the fire for his attacks, take some hits, Intimidate, and sweep from a broad spectrum. So, with that said, I went with Gyarados, since I despise Samence on principle.

7. Amending

If you read the following posts, you will see a lot of support for the Heatran switch. However, I really like Rotom on this team, and he was who I was going to switch out. It was suggested that Jumpluff should go, and after some soul searching, I decided that it was the best option. Heatran comes in to take Jumpluff's position. I lose status and annoyance (as well as a friend), but gain a poweful new tool.

Finally It was suggested that I should use a sturdier Sunny Day user, and get Stealth Rock onto my team. I tried Aerodactyl for this early on in the team building process, but he basically became a suicide lead and hurt the synergy of the team. Uxie is sturdy and its weaknesses can be covered by others in the team. I also get the sleeping option back, which I lost when I changed Jumpluff out of the team.

---

Team Analysis:
Uxie (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk) / Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Sunny Day
- U-Turn / Psychic
- Yawn

Replacement lead for Jolteon. Uxie sacrifices any likelihood of avoiding Taunt and hence is not ensured a successful setup. However I think I have enough options in the team now to work around this, and to be threatening even without the sun gleaming down on my team. What I do get is another status inducer (Yawn is wonderful) and a sturdy Sunny Day user.

Top 10 OU Leads, June 2009:
  • Metagross: Metagross can't 3HKO with Meteor Mash unless it gets an attack boost. Use this to set up rocks, Yawn, and go to Rotom. I'd predict Metagross to either Explode through the Yawn, switch out, or take it. I'll switch in Rotom and try a Thunder Wave against the incoming Pokemon, or take any hit that Metagross throws which will not hurt the Ghost much, if at all.
  • Azelf: Stealth Rock, Yawn, Rotom.
  • Jirachi: Try to Yawn it out. Rotom takes Iron Head and U-Turn easily, and threatens with Overheat. However, I'd be inclined to Thunder Wave either the switch in or Jirachi if it stays in to flinch hax.
  • Swampert: Switch to Tangrowth. Stun the counter or mudfish.
  • Aerodactyl: Set up and switch.
  • Infernape: Won't last too long against Uxie. Psychic it, and set up.
  • Hippowdon: Annoying since I have to get Sunny Day up for preservation sake. Stealth Rock, then to Tangrowth. Throw out a Stun Spore to the counter or Hippowdon.
  • Bronzong: Set up and switch to Rotom.
  • Ninjask: Switch to Gyarados and Taunt. Ninjask will either Protect or Sub on the first move. Baton Passing an Intimidate isn't too great either.
  • Tyranitar: Same as Hippowdon, but a little more threatening. Gyarados is my safest bet to cut its attack, and he'll likely switch into a Crunch, which is the biggest threat. Tangrowth can come it, and Fire Punch (the most threatening move against him) will only do about 24.26% on average, assuming the standard set.
Threats:

- Heatran, Rotom, Gyarados
- Heatran
- Snorlax

---

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Solarbeam
- Fire Blast

Heatran adds some more firepower to the team, receiving massive boosts to his STAB Fire Blast through Sunny Day and Flash Fire. He pairs up incredibly well with Tangrowth, where the walking weed invites fire moves to enhance my steel volcano. Solarbeam has no charge time in the sun, and with water attacks cut down to neutral damage, Heatran can take on those opposing water types also. Finally, he fills some defensive holes on both sides of the spectrum.

Threats:

- Tangrowth, Gyarados
- Tangrowth, Gyarados
- Rotom, Gyarados, Tangrowth

---

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Sunny Day

As explained above, Rotom is my fire user, paralysis inducer, fighting absorber and all around cool dude (well, not really). Rotom hurts the likes of Scizor and Metagross, along with Lucario provided he isn't able to Crunch.

Threats:

- Snorlax, Jolteon
- Heatran

---

Snorlax
(M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 168 HP/120 Def/220 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rest
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Body Slam

Snorlax is coming in on Blissey every time. Blissey used to wall this team to death, but if Snorlax is active I fare much better. Come in and take a Flamethrower or status, and try a Curse or Rest it off. Same goes for any special user or non-attacker. Fire and Ice moves are obviously ideal, and I won't doubt for one second that powerful special moves can greatly harm Snorlax, but for the most part he can take them well and start to build on his defense. Most physical threats can be delegated to either Tangrowth, Rotom or Gyarados.

Threats:

- Rotom, Gyarados, Tangrowth

---

Tangrowth
(M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP/228 Def/28 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stun Spore
- Sunny Day
- Power Whip
- Knock Off / HP [Ice] / HP [Fire]

As mentioned above, Tangrowth has filled multiple roles in the team to date. He was initially intended to be a mixed sweeper, but holes in his movepool, and mediocre attack stats (by OU standards) coupled with a lack of weather-aided STAB made him far less effective than intended. He then became a double-powder user, but I didn't like this too much either. You can only have one opponent asleep at a time, so this basically made one of the move slots useless should someone be asleep. Jumpluff relies on sleep far more than Tangrowth, so I figured I could use that slot for something else. Tangrowth's defensive capabilities are phenomenal, and the major threats (ie. special fire and ice moves) are absorbed by Snorlax and Heatran.

I'm considering changing Chlorophyll to Leaf Guard to allow for more status absorption in the sun, improving my chances against stall teams.

Threats:

- Heatran, Rotom, Gyarados
- Heatran, Snorlax, Gyarados
- Rotom, Jolteon, Heatran
- Snorlax, Heatran, Gyarados
- Heatran, Snorlax, Rotom

---

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/108 Atk/100 Def/144 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang / Stone Edge
- Waterfall

I have always underestimated Gyarados in the wake of the new generation dragons (namely Salamence and Kingdra). However, he fills such an excellent niche in this team both defensively and offensivey. Intimidate is an ability that I never fully appreciated, until I started looking at how much damage it saved. I don't really have much to say about him other than I am very impressed by his abilities and I am glad that I have found a suitable spot for him on one of my teams.
Threats:

- Tangrowth
- Rotom, Snorlax

---

This is a very well built team, with no glaring weaknesses. However a Choice Band Weavile can completely ruin your team. It can:

Outspeed and 2HKO Tangrowth with Ice Punch while surviving an HP Fire in sunlight.

Outspeed and OHKO Jumpluff with Ice Shard.

Outspeed and OHKO Rotom-H with Night Slash.

2HKO Snorlax with Brick Break (while using Rest is a prime oportunity for this), and 3HKO with one Curse (gets you the turn you wake up). Earthquake also only scores a 3HKO on him, though.

Basically since Jolteon, being a lead will be out of the picture early on, Gyarados would be your only hope. And did I mention that he is 8% of the time paired with Abomasnow, another guy that can fuck you up? (Abomasnow comes at number 17 in Weavile's teammates, 31 places up from last month).

Do what you will with this information (Scizor is a prime Weavile killer, and a Fire attack already kills him with or without sunlight).

Thanks for that. It reminds me why I relied on Weavile so much in my first ever team... I can't believe I forget him so much now. I completely underestimated his special defense... I thought he was far more frail than that.

That said, Gyarados does stand a chance, but is really up against it if he runs into Stealth Rocks. Stone Edge can take Weavile out, or at least damage him a bit. The thing is, I can probably predict the move being used depending on who is in and make a decision accordingly: if Tangrowth is in, I expect an ice attack, in which case Gyarados can come in. If it is Rotom, he is basically screwed with Pursuit or Night Slash, but at least Tangrowth can come into that and try to do something with Stun Spore or Sunny Day. For Jumpluff, I expect an Ice Shard - again something Gyarados can take. Snorlax will cop a Brick Break which Gyarados can handle. Jolteon would keep me guessing, so I'd probably expect an ice move since they are more useful in terms of using a choice item.

I've gone ahead and finished the main post. I will hopefully compile a threat list soon.

Weavile is an extremely frail Pokemon, it's just that 4 of your Pokemon have no offensive EVs or boosting natures. That's why I really recommend you switch Rotom-H for Heatran as you were saying in your post. Something like:

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 224 Spd/252 SAtk/32 SDef
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Dragon Pulse

Much the revenge killer, with the given EVs Heatran still outspeeds Kingdra (usually found in Rain Dance teams) after a Dragon Dance and can explode on it for a OHKO (even with 180 HP EVs). While it does not outspeed opposing Scarf Max Speed Heatran, you can switch in Gyara on the Earth Power and set up while he switches. This provides some much needed force to the team. Whether you run HP Ice or Dragon Pulse is up to you (you already have Grass coverage so I guess that's out). Also benefits from switching into fire attacks, an enourmous plus. Oh and the 32 SpD EVs somewhat cover the -SpD nature.

Also always remember that in sun, Gyarados' Waterfall does half damage.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Problems:

Lack of SR
Blissey / Rotom core

How to fix:

I will say that this is original but I don't think your using it to its max potential with the lack of sweepers abusing the Sun Shine. I have little experience with Sunny Day, but I think Uxie would be better as a whole, proving good bulk, SR, and sun.

Uxie
@ Heat Rock
Bold Nature (Def+ / Atk-)
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD

- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

I think this would benefit the team more, proving good bulk and having a reliable Sunny Day summoner, where Jolteon is iffy because its weak from the physical side. Uxie can come back and keep setting up. Stealth Rock is a given, helping guys like Curselax and Gyarados sweep. U-turn is a god given move, allowing you to scout next switch ins and bring in an appropriate counter for the opponent's Pokemon. Yawn forces switch-outs, but you could try Psychic in that place. With that being said, its safe to say this team needs some fire power. I will say that Heatran makes an excellent Sunny Day abuser, and I highly recommend using it in-place of Jumpluff, which is pretty poor imo to do any good damage.

Heatran
@ Life Orb
Naive Nature (Spe+ / SpD-)
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

- Fire Blast
- Solarbeam
- Explosion
- Earth Power

This guy is no joke, deserves its own set imo. Attracting Heatran is a given, absorbing Fire-type moves. Flash Fire + Sunny Day + Life Orb + Fire Blast = absolute havock. 0 HP / 252 SpD (above standard) Blissey suffers 51.15% - 60.37% from all those boosts. Solar Beam gives good coverage having a solid damage to bulky waters. Explosion is a finishing move. Earth Power covers opposing Naive Heatrans. Overall this would be a good addition. gl.

However a Choice Band Weavile can completely ruin your team.
Bulky Gyarados is a solid check to it, it's pretty easy to predict Brick Bream from Snorlax, allowing Gyarados free up one DD. Gyarados is a check, but I would say its a semi-threat.

wouldn't the sunny day weaken gyarados' stab waterfall? not sure if that's the best idea for this team, if you are still looking for a sweeper with intimidate you could try arcanine since he fits in with the sunny day theme. he scares away weavile and has access to extremespeed, stab fire attacks that are boosted in the sun and can also use solarbeam to take on the water type threats that would get in his way.

On paper, it appears that you have a dark weakness, but I am certain that, with the pokemon you already have, you can overcome this. Firstly, a look at the most used dark moves, as of June 2009:

Crunch (under Ice Punch, over Outrage)
Pursuit (under Superpower, over trick)
Sucker Punch (under Softboiled, over Nasty Plot)
Night Slash (under Nasty Plot, over Gyro Ball)
Payback (under Brave Bird, over Seismic Toss)

Notice something similar in all of those? That's right: they all are Physical. The only common users of Crunch are Tyranitar and Lucario. Tyranitaur, who you should focus on killing for it's abillity anyway, should be put it to sleep.If worst comes to worst, Earthquake from Snorelax or Power Whip from Tangrowth will dent it. Lucario HATES all Gyaradoses, and even without Earthquake, you can scare it out.

Pursuit is only really used by Tyranitaur and others who couter Rotom or Latias. If you don't switch, it can be rendered harmless, as you reset Sunny Day. Wevile might give you problems, but can do nothing to Snorelax.

Sucker Punch is used by a variety of pokemon who want to get the first strike, but as almost all of you're pokemon carry a nonoffensive move, it is of little worry. Note that this and all other moves below it are used under SOFTBOILED. Three pokemon in that are decent in Ou learn that move: Clefable, Togekiss, and Blissey, all of which are better with other forms of recovery.

Night Slash is almost EXCLUSIVELY used by Wevile (Absol and Honchcrow use it to, but they don't count.). See: Pursuit

Payback: I'm almost certain that T-taur is the only pokemon that uses this. Big deal, he's better with Crunch.

If you are REALLY having problems, switch Waterfall on Gyara out for EQ or Superpower.

Uxie
@ Heat Rock
Bold Nature (Def+ / Atk-)
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD

- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
Testing. Going fairly well.

Heatran
@ Life Orb
Naive Nature (Spe+ / SpD-)
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

- Fire Blast
- Solarbeam
- Explosion
- Earth Power
Done. I was always iffy on switching out Jumpluff since it is so cute and is one of the few Pokemon with an ability assisted by the sun. A Sunny Day team seems a little empty without it. However, Heatran really needs to be there, and I am unwilling to sacrifice Rotom for him. Good call.

wouldn't the sunny day weaken gyarados' stab waterfall? not sure if that's the best idea for this team, if you are still looking for a sweeper with intimidate you could try arcanine since he fits in with the sunny day theme. he scares away weavile and has access to extremespeed, stab fire attacks that are boosted in the sun and can also use solarbeam to take on the water type threats that would get in his way.
It does weaken Waterfall, but the sun isn't always up and Gyarados can switch into a lot of things. He also has a better setup than Arcanine for late-game sweeping. Arcanine also lacks Taunt, which is an awesome move for countering anything slower than Gyarados that likes to set up or phaze. Once a DD or two have been used, Gyarados is very hard to force out due to sheer physical presence and ability to counter Roar, Whirlwind etc.

I'm thinking of switching Tangrowth's ability from Chlorophyll to Leaf Guard, making him more defensive so that he can absorb status. As it is any speed gain he gets feels somewhat wasted when he can Stun Spore things anyway. That would mean I have two immunities to Toxic Spikes, and Snorlax can rest it off, three immunities to Spikes with Levitate and a flying type, and pretty good resistance to Stealth Rock across the board. Most of the Spikes users are scared of Rotom and Heatran anyway, which is nice.

Thanks everyone so far.

If you want a bulky physical threat, and Gyarados doesn't mesh well with the strategy of the main team, why not try Dragonite? It is essentially a bulky Salamence, which you're not running for personal non-competition reasons, but it gives you something that's all-round useful.

Alternatively, you could go with Metagross, as a second steel type you can switch in against Dragons. Latias, for instance, seems like it could tear you a new hole without much difficulty.

Needs a chlorophyll sweeper, to be honest.
I mean sure, it is nice that you get solar beam and 2 fire moves to be boosted.
But sunny day teams are really about sunny day sweepers..which you don't have.
Well..it is a pretty solid team, but without like any sunny day sweepers, I don't see the point.
Only real threat I see is DD Tyranitar, it can demolish your team once Tangrowth is gone..pretty easily.

Well..it is a pretty solid team, but without like any sunny day sweepers, I don't see the point.
Trust me, I'm feeling you. That was a reason why I was sad to see Jumpluff go, since he was one guy who used the sun via an ability. But as I said prior, the Chlorophyll Pokemon just don't tend to be as capable of sweeping as their Rain Dance counterparts - movepools suck, no STAB is powered up, whilst counter STAB is.

I am going to try work Shiftry into a variant team, but he is hard to bring in. Uxie may be able to amend this with screening though. If I make a pure UU team things will be different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)