Shoddy/smogon + Facebook = Awesome

For those who have facebook you've noticed that there are a lots of games and activities on other websites that link to a user's facebook and update their status depending on what they've done (Gaia, Netflix, etc.) Not only is this a cool way to share with the facebook what you've been doing in your spare time, but it's a good way for those companies to advertise themselves.

I like having a lot of apps and stuff on facebook to show everyone what I do, but lately playing Pokemon and being in this competitive community is a big part of my life and there is no way to show it on facebook cept the usual battle vid once in a while that will pop up thanks to my youtube connection, and I wish there was another way to show my role in this community.

Perhaps maybe if there was something connected with shoddy that would show your current score everyday you play, or if you're in the ladder update the status every time you advance or go down.

If this is impossible maybe there are other ways to brainstorm how to make my facebook more pokemon modified. :D

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For some people having something like your place on the on site ladder ranking, which automatically updates, on your facebook page would be kinda cool. But right now with all the other more important programming things to do, really seems like a not very important distraction.

If shoddy itself is transferable to a facebook app that would be pretty excellent (though still not a top priority), but it may well be extremely complex or require a total rewrite or something. Need to ask someone who knows about facebook app programming and shoddy.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really? Nobody actually wants their friends to know they play competitive pokemon, do they?
I think the whole "you won't get girls if they know you play Pokemon" thing was started by socially inept dudes who incorrectly assumed that this was due to their playing Pokemon, rather than their own social ineptness.

You would be correct in saying so. I made no secret of it at school and the only people who actually were rude about it were the people that everyone shunned because they weren't intelligent people and were quite socially inept.

I believe that Shoddy on Facebook would be able to get many people into playing Pokemon both for leisure and competitively.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The other issue that I can see is that there's no way to really set this up outside of just going in and saying "yeah that shoddy account is me", so you'd probably get a bunch of randoms claiming to be IPL or some other top player so they can impress their friends or just generally troll people.

It seems like a good idea, and I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it also seems rather pointless due to the ability to use it to just annoy people. Besides, anyone who cares about your Shoddy Battle leaderboard rank would probably already be on Smogon, in which case something more Smogon-centric might be applicable.

I think you'd need to write a Facebook app that would connect to a Shoddy Server, and retrieve the leaderboard, ranking for a given user, whatever.

There is the issue that in order to prevent people from claiming others' Shoddy accounts on the Facebook App, the Facebook App would need the Shoddy password. That has security implications.

If the app included a link to Shoddy Battle, it might help promote it a bit.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is this really necessary? I mean, do you really need an app that spams your feed with "Chris is me played a battle on Shoddy Battle today and lost to Seven Deadly Sins!"? I mean, there's a Smogon Facebook group and you can list it in your interests and say on your status that you play tons of Pokémon. Maybe I'm an old geezer or something (5 years of Facebook lolz), but I don't see why you need an application in order for your friends to know you play 'mons.

Is it possible to get shoddy on as a facebook application? That would provide quite a boost to the community.
Even if it was, how would this make sense? It would just be using "Facebook" as a method to launch a program or whatever; why would you want to launch it from Facebook? It wouldn't really boost the community or anything as the barrier to entry isn't really unwillingness to install the current Shoddy Battle build.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You could say that about any Facebook app. Indeed, about Facebook itself.
You're missing my point. Well, and Facebook's point.

Facebook does have a purpose, to facilitate the distribution of information among friends as well as discussion with said information. A lot of Applications on Facebook present unique ways of communicating with friends (Honesty Box is the one on the top of my head, there are many) or sharing media with friends (YouTube app will show friends what videos you've added more easily, etc. etc.).

But how would Pokémon fit into the picture at all? Your rebuttal might seem a touch witty at first, but there are different levels and contexts of necessity here. Pokemon doesn't seem to have anything to do with Facebook's main use at all.

In which case, the 'information' in question is what you're doing on Shoddy. It could be where you are in the leaderboard, who you just battled (and whether you won or lost), even something about your team. As you mentioned, it could put such info on your feed. (Though hopefully you'd be able to turn that off)

Now, whether you want to share that with your FB friends is another matter. But it is information that could be shared on Facebook.

FWIW, I've been on FB for a long time too. Since November 2005. Back in the day when you couldn't get on unless you had a university email account. Back when it was good. It's shit now anyway - and no Shoddy app is going to change that.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If it's like those little games, except with Pokemon, it can *definitely* get new people interested in competitive Pokemon - which is a good thing.

The only bad thing is that someone probably has to code it.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it possible to get shoddy on as a facebook application? That would provide quite a boost to the community.
It would give us a bunch of non competitive imbeciles on the ladder. I really do not think we need that.

It would give us a bunch of non competitive imbeciles on the ladder. I really do not think we need that.
They're already on the ladder, you're just probably over 1000 already and can't see them. When you start an alt for testing you see them all the time, or at least I did with my two alts.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They're already on the ladder, you're just probably over 1000 already and can't see them. When you start an alt for testing you see them all the time, or at least I did with my two alts.
It would be a billion times worse. Smogon has 35,000 members? Facebook has millions. We would have even more horrible players polluting the ladder. At least the current noobs venture somewhere which means they have some concept of Pokemon. Do you really want shoddy to become Farmville? These players would have no idea of what competitive Pokemon is. They'd be a bunch of "I did Pokemon in Elementary School orig 150 ftw" people who would have no idea what they are doing.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It would be a billion times worse. Smogon has 35,000 members? Facebook has millions. We would have even more horrible players polluting the ladder. At least the current noobs venture somewhere which means they have some concept of Pokemon. Do you really want shoddy to become Farmville? These players would have no idea of what competitive Pokemon is. They'd be a bunch of "I did Pokemon in Elementary School orig 150 ftw" people who would have no idea what they are doing.
In regards to this point, if we make an app, it should be separate to that of Shoddy and not connected to it. I agree; most of the people who would play it on Facebook would be complete noobs, and Charizard would easily end up in the top #10. We could, however, put a link to the Shoddy website, and say something like "If you have been consistently winning matches, and if you have a high enough rating (an actual rating should be implemented here), you may want to try out battling on Shoddy against some of the best players in the world. We should also have a link to the Smogon website to promote the number of Smogon users, and so that people using the app can greatly enhance their battling abilities through our website's information (and by becoming a member), so the battles are 'less noobish'.

It also should be easier in terms of setting up the app to keep it separate from Shoddy, but I'll still expect that setting up the app would be very difficult work.

Wow surprised this forum got this kind of response.

Anyway I think it would be cool still, and if you don't you rl social circle to know about your pokemon playing ways just don't get it on your facebook, and if someone cares enough to download shoddy and begin playing than there is always a possibility they will care enough to get better and improve the community.

Also it doesn't have to be ladder related. I was just wondering if there is anything else creative someone could do with Pokemon on facebook.

In regards to this point, if we make an app, it should be separate to that of Shoddy and not connected to it. I agree; most of the people who would play it on Facebook would be complete noobs, and Charizard would easily end up in the top #10. We could, however, put a link to the Shoddy website, and say something like "If you have been consistently winning matches, and if you have a high enough rating (an actual rating should be implemented here), you may want to try out battling on Shoddy against some of the best players in the world
This point is good. But we would need two seperate ladders for this to work, although a Leaderboard for FB Shoddy may not be neccesary.

But if I was to search for any other Pokemon game on FB, there would no doubt be crappy games like 'steal the Pokemon to complete the collection' or something like that.

How would having the ability to play Shoddy through a Facebook app lead to it being nothing but noobs? I am pretty sure that the majority of the Smogon community is on Facebook and you only play players that are in your rating range so I do not see how it would differ from Shoddy as it is now. Every time I make a new alt I face terrible players using horrible pokemon and sets.

I think this is a great idea and if at all possible I would love to see it implemented.

This is a pretty cool idea,
as other people have said,
it would be a little weird for you friends to know I play pokemon,
they wouldn't understand the "competitive" aspect of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)