The First Smogon Speedrun Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Approved by Hipmonlee

Hey folks, and welcome to the First Smogon Speedrun Contest. I will be your host as you compete to show you can be the fastest gamer in Smogon! Without further ado, let me introduce you to the rules:

1. This is a weekly contest. One speedrunning challenge is posted each week, and you have within 6 days of the posting to produce a video or emulator video file of your beating the level in question.
2. No save states are allowed.
3. Runs can be accepted from either an emulator or from the actual consoles, by externally recording them via DVD or capture cards.
4. Do not ask where to get ROMs. This is illegal.
5. Points are scored out of the top ten fastest times in each game. The winner is the one who earns the most points over 5 games.
6. Once the run is ready to be sent to me, you must upload either the emulator video file or video to a hosting website and PM me the link so I can review and mark your time.

Emulator save files can be stored at this address: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php. Recorded AVIs can be uploaded to file sharing sites like Mediafire.

7. All judge decisions are final.
8. You do not have to compete each week, however the more games you take part in the more points you can earn.
9. For players using PAL versions, times will be multiplied by 6/5 to compare to NTSC times.

Alright, with the rules out the way, I suppose you are eager to find out the first game.

Week 1 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2

A game suited for speed, it seems the perfect way to start this contest.

This week's challenge:

Complete Emerald Hill Zone Acts 1 and 2 in the fastest time possible. In-game timer takes priority unless there is a tie.

Results:

1st: Veedrock (Act 1: 0:26, Act 2: 0:49 = 1:15)
2nd: Lightwolf (Act 1: 0:24, Act 2: 0:53 = 1:17)
3rd: Sgt Woodsy (Act 1: 0:27, Act 2: 0:57 = 1:24)
4th: Mattimeo (Act 1: 0:28, Act 2: 0:59 = 1:27)

Week 2 - Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Time for a racing game to get the adrenaline pumping!

This week's challenge:

150 cc Grand Prix - complete the Mushroom Cup. Not too difficult.

SPECIAL RULES: Shortcuts are allowed in races, but no exploit of the Lakitu glitch will be allowed.

Deadline will be Sunday 14th February, with the next game and results going up on the 15th February.

Recommended emulator: snes9x 1.51

Current Points
Veedrock - 10
Lightwolf - 9
Sgt Woodsy - 8
Mattimeo - 7

Aw, fuck.

I don't do emulators, but I do at least have said game on me PS2 if that's anything to tolerate.

I think I'll partake in this, posting my times for the lulz.

how exactly do you save a specific emulator file? do you have to record it?

i definitely want to compete anyway (probably won't be able to do every week)

edit: thank god it's not chemical plant zone

I got all excited upon seeing the picture until I read it was only Emerald Hill Zone :( Regardless, I'm looking forward to this.

However the lack of save states (thank you for that) does present a challenge in itself that a full playthrough would make tedious; it can take multiple attempts to perfect Act 1, and if Act 2 is less than perfect, another flawless run of Act 1 is needed to make for the lowest possible time. At least I have a project for this weekend.

Toothache

Let the music play!
If you don't know how to use emulator record features:

1. Start the game, then go to Tools -> Movie -> Record New Movie

2. Enter the name and description of the movie. Do not select the 'Record from now and make a savestate' option. Note that Gens movie files end with the identifier .gmv. Click Ok.

3. The game will start from Power On again. Play the level as normal. Note that when recording, there is a small red circle flashing in the bottom-right corner.

4. Once you finish, go to Tools -> Movie -> Stop Movie. Remember the timer stops at the end of Act 2 when you release the animals, not when you beat Robotnik ;-)

Normally i don't participate in these sort of things but i might just because the game is sonic.

This seems interesting so ill check it out later.

thank god its not metropolis zone curse those 3 acts of hell.

Mediafire's limit is way too small. I've searched practically everything else but none have worked for me (either it won't upload or has a small limit). Anybody know a dependable file hosting site?

Oh boy!
Sign me up!

I havn't played Sonic 2, but I have Sonic 3... so I may as well try, no? It's the same basic gameplay.

Question: can we complete a challenge one week, than quit? And on the same note, can we complete a challenge in a future week, despite not having completed a previous challenge?

Edit: I have an AVI of the run that I want to use... what next?

Toothache

Let the music play!
Sorry about this, but due to my unexpected hospital visit, I'll be extending the deadline a couple more days. Monday 8th is now the deadline, I'll put up the next challenge then.

In case anybody is interested in my run:

http://seeupload.com/901Veedrock Speed Run.avi

I had another great Act 1 run on another attempt but it still was only 0:26 (suprised this run's time was tied, the other was godly). There were quicker methods to Act 2 but the general 'grab the shoes and hold right' worked pretty well! There's some obvious points where a second can be shaved off here and there but I thought it was good enough and it's evident that it was (though I still have no effin' clue how LW got his time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)