Rate My DS Team

I am in college now, and still continuing to play pokemon. I joined a gaming club on campus that is having a poke tourney coming up soon and it requires lvl 100 pokes. I dont have time to level up my team and give them better spreads or something (on my DS obviously) so I decided to just work with what i already have stocked up on my game. I know this is not a proper team building method, but I've been using it on Shoddy and its not too shabby, somewhere in the area of 25-5 out of a span of about six hours (CRE is a little lower than 1300 range, but I havent been using it very long at all). Ok, here is is my thought process of putting this together

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

Infernape is definitely my favorite starter ever. I used him on my first ever DS team, and he actually swept entire teams (prolly noobs tho, but it was still great) I like it bc he can very easily set up rocks and still deliver powerful hits. SR is almost a requirement for Standard teams now so i decided i really do need it in lieu of another attack. Infernape is also amazing unpredictable as a starter, it could carry fake out or vacuum wave, grass knot or U-turn, or it could be a nasty plot variant. Its so powerful that it can pretty much blast most leads' HP down to very little then SR so they cant switch back in, or vice versa on that order.

I really really didnt want to do this, but I had to. I dont like using scizor, but its just way too tempting. I thought of things that Infernape would have trouble with and most of my thoughts were solved by a bulky swords dancer (vaporeon, gyarados, latias, rotom). I know scizor isnt exactly choice for handling these, but I never doubt the power of a good chance to set up and with this scizor in particular, it only needs one SD and then.. you know. Scizor not only brings amazing power and surprising bulk, but it also provides two very important factors that i personally admire: stab priority moves and HP recovery.

Another one of my favorite set up monsters is the Dragon Fish that can fly using its little face fins. As long as this doesnt have to face starmie, jirachi, zapdos, jolteon, or gengar (bc of thunderbolt) on its first turn, we are go. Gyara also provides another personally important trait in Taunt. This is my blissey/vaporeon/skarmory/fortress killer (provided support from another team member). Taunt destroys Baton pass teams- of which ive seen about 5, more than expected. This can take an explosion from a metagross (that could be a lie, maybe im thinking azelf or heatran). It also provides good synergy with the monkey and the Overly Over Used. Stab DD waterfall is quite deadly as it takes out rotoms, swamperts, other gyarados, and anything thats not a wall really.

Yes, the monster of Stark Mountain found its way into my arsenal of pokes. Contrary to the norm, i will not be running explosion. I know heatran shares the EQ weakness with infernape, as well as the fighting weakness but Gyara is the answer to both of these. Heatran's ability to absorb fire attacks aimed at scizor is invaluable. It also has above average speed and can also survive explosions. Like infernape, it is quite unpredictable which allows for a switch into a dragon type usually or gliscor, which i have answers to.

I know its uncanny that i just have all these monsters stalked up, but what can i say. Latias brings great synergy to this team as she can absorb any special attack thats not dragon and has to ability to cripple walls. She outspeeds everything not a boosted yanmega or ninjask (providing only one boost is allowed) and has such a diverse, and now unpredictable movepool that she can easily gun down anything that manages to best gyara or tran. Her speed is really the reason why I chose her bc up until now my overall speed was like, eh :/

Ok here is where any possible lose ends get tied up. I know celebi and latias will bring a bunch of pursuiters out but this celebi wont be going away from just one, and its strategry - ;) - wont let it go down from two. Celebi provides amazing team support and will win nearly every stall war. Again heatran takes in fire attacks and scizor can deal with ice attacks. i was weary about including the psychic forest fairy but its multitude of weaknesses is well covered by the rest of my team, and they usually dont incredibly dent celebi.

IN THE EYEPIECE...

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Blaze | Hasty
60 ATK | 252 SPA | 220 SPE
~ Fire Blast
~ Grass Knot
~ Close Combat
~ Stealth Rocks

I really really like lead ape due to its wide range of attacks and above average speed. I chose to include Grass Knot over Fake Out just to deal with lead swamperts (out of 30 matches, i believe ive seen 8). U-turn was suggested a long time ago, and i tested it out but on this team I really need a grass move especially for leadperts. This could be thought of as a suicide lead, but its more of a single/ double kamikaze lead. EV's are just standard but I added more 1 more speed BLT to outspeed other standard speed leadapes. As i said, this can very reliably set up the quintessential rocks and deal some damage. I love when this thing doesnt die bc it can sweep in the late game. what ive also found myself doing is bringing it in (with 1HP from sash and opponents rocks up) as a scout to see what my foe will send out, like after a deathly explosion or when LO takes out both pokes. I fire blast as a huge stab attack, it could really put a damper on things when it misses the first turn but the return in power is great. This is very effective against roserade leads as well as metagross leads.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Against Top Leads
- SR first, if they SR then just go on the offensive. if they psychic first, then im left at 1 HP and i switch to heatran to take whatever.
- They usually SR, first so its the same thing as Azelf excpet meta's attack would be EQ. If they EQ, then i again just go to heatran to take BP, and counter with either earth power or overheat
- As stated, I grass knot first then SR if they SR first if they attack first, i just grass knot then close combat in fear of the switch and just deal with the lack of rocks.
- Same as the others really, I SR first and depending on what happens, i either attack or switch into heatran.
- I just assume the taunt and go for the close combat. Either way if they taunt or attack im gonna either get a KO by gyara switch or sucessfully get rocks up.
- Hopefullllly Ill be faster so i just go straight on the offensive and take out the possibility of a late game sweeper
- I'm faster so I throw flames.
- I'm faster so I SR first then combat
- I'm faster so I SR before the taunt, then combat till death or switch into gyara to take EQ and DD on the switch out.
- These things are always fun to deal with. I go for the combat bc I should be faster. But if its a trick scarf and they spore I know they cant spore again and are forced to switch out so i go to my poke with the second best coverage and fastest, latias and just blast away at any counter that comes by.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician | Adamant
252HP | 252 ATK |4 SPE
~ Bullet Punch
~ Swords Dance
~ Roost
~ Superpower

I dont know what happened with shoddy, but I couldnt find Bug Bite on Scizor's list of attacks, am i overlooking something? Anyway id usually be running Bug Bite bc of technician and the double stab with priority LO is great. Scizor generally causes alotta switches, and if not I bulked up the HP so it can take a wide array of attacks, get the SD and run around punching like bullets. This is my counter to any latias, starmie, celebi, even gengar who threaten gyara or latias in anyway. I like that it can roost of LO damage and damage taken from an SD turn. Having said it praises, by running scizor I have learned about five new ways to take it out, the most prevalent being confusion hax machamp, here comes my bouncing gyara. Scizor lets me easily take down hail and sandstorm teams. In response to heatran, i have my own; and to fortress i say, "i will set up and take your explosion, thank you". Ive been testing Superpower and it has proven to be of great use, especially against blissey's, snorlaxes, and swamperts who tend to set up while I SD for a bp. I tried the choice band but i often found myself getting the enemy down in health with superpower and not being fast enough to get off another one so i went back to the LO SD set which allows me to set up and pick off things with bp.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate | Adamant
128 ATK | 232 SPE | 148 HP
~ Dragon dance
~ Stone Edge
~ Taunt
~ Waterfall

Just monstrous, especially its great attack even before a DD. Its unique 81 base speed lets it outspeed anything 80 or less without a scarf. I like leftovers bc alotta times a move will hit and take about 40%-55% and if i bounce, leftovers ensures a not 2HKO. Taunt ruins walls, baton pass teams, entry hazards, and stat decreasers. Also, im not too too worried about SR here because usually it can leftys + bounce off the damage or I can DD then go and heal as i go just in case something scarfed or named jolteon comes out, which i outspeed and annihilate with waterfall -after one DD of course. The only thing that I dont like facing is whirlwinds and roars, it seems people just love getting you all boosted up then just whisking you away, that grinds my gears, which is why i taunt first whenever i see a potential for roar/whirlwind. Other uncommon but still noteworthy threats are thunderpunch breloom, jirachi, and snorlax. I had to take bounce off bc once i got tricked into a choice scarf while bouncing and i was dead.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Flash Fire | Timid
252 SPA | 252 SPE | 4 HP
~ Overheat
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power [Grass]

I originally had specs on this, but then I heard of the idea of faking a specs and luring in a latias or swampert then blasting away. I also really hated when I was locked into overheat and a latias or swampert came in. I was also worried about speed, but then on another team I used an mostly offensive celebi with only 245 speed and it won the lions share of speed battles surprisingly, so this with 253 speed is in the same ballpark. I wont lie, specstran was B-E-A-S-T taking out things things that it normally would have had to try to 3HKO, but the angst I felt with having to death fodder gyara or scizor to free up one of heatran's attacks did not account for being able to blow up a salamence switch in, which i could easily have handled with latias. So i suppose I need advice with the scarf over expert belt debate, but personally im leaning toward the expert belt. Heatran's ability to take explosions and take out lots of foes with neutral damage has earned it a slot on almost all of my teams.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Levitate | Timid
252 SPA | 252 SPE | 4 HP
~ Draco Meteor
~ Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Trick

Very threatening at any point in the game. Draco Meteor is boss over anything not tryanitar, metagross, or magnezone, or mrs. humpty dumpty. I took heatran's specs away bc of being locked into an attack, but I need my fast as lightening revenge latias. i like bringing her in late in the game when i know what pokes my foe could send out and either surfing or bolting my way out. Trick is usually for blissey crippling, but usually its a switch in and i cant use trick then anyway, also i have celebi, scizor, and gyarados to handle miss bliss with ease. Anyone have any suggestions for some attack or something over trick? i thought recover or CM, but then oh choice scarf, maybe ice beam to take out gliscor, zapdos? in any event, i feel that trick on this particular latias on this particular team is not pulling its wieght.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Natural Cure | Bold
252 HP | 220 DEF | 36 SPE
~ Thunderwave
~ Grass Knot
~ Leech Seed
~ Recover

Stall master to the max right here. I have been backed into so many corners and threw out this little guy and came out on top. This is my definition of team support, it can absorb t-waves, toxics, WoW's, spores and switch out and be fine. Also, the thunderwave support is vital to heatran and scizor to some extent. I love the subseed strategy, i know shaymin does it "better" bc it has less weaknesses, but shaymin cant paralyze anyone. I dont value paralysis for the hax but for the speed reduction. my pokes are right on the threshold of average/above average speed, and cutting the foes speed in half is a great great aid. The only thing ive ever seen taking out this celebi is a X-scissor from a scizor and i believe it got a crit too, or a crunch from a scarftar. With this set, i always always twave first, then im faster so i seed. i really dont like luck, personally i think it plays way too much of a role in the game (much like the current US government plays too much of a role in the lives of US citizens), but that being said i must play the game as its made and try to use luck to my advantage with the para hax. i took out substitute for grass knot just to not get completely killed by taunt users.

LOOKING BACK...

This is a much more solid team than I anticipated. Celebi really ties the team together with the paraseeding and scizor picks off everything with BP and latias outspeeds the game. Again, this team is for a tournament at a college, standard rules, but all the pokes should be level 100 and these are the best of what i had in my boxes on my game. The only major hole i can see from battling is hax teams. This team takes very good care of rain dance teams and baton pass teams which used to absolutely ruin me. Salamence really isnt a problem with heatran and latias, agiligross doesnt do much with my celebi strategy. DD tyranitar could be problematic but then i got my celebi and of course scizor. Lucarios usually arent a large issue thanks to celebi and gyarados, but i do have to watch out for the SD extreme speed. I know two fires on one team isnt recommended bc of the EQ weakness, but i figure two things that EQ cant touch justifies that somewhat. The other thing i could see being an issue is if i allow spikes set up and am forced to switch out, as i have no spinner. rocks arent too big of an issue for gyara, but multiple switches will take their toll. also itd be nice to get a spin blocker in here but ive learned that rocks help but are not absolutely pivotal for a win with this team, as celebi + time beats all.Thanks for reading, please rate and add any and all suggestions!

I saw your visitor message, I wont hesitate to rate this (really good) team.
This a pretty good team; congratulations on that! I have worked out with the Celebi / Heatran / Latias with a lot of success in the ladder, I want to help you improve your already great team.
First of all, I see you are using Grass Knot on Infernape, I don´t get the point of doing this because you have Celebi and Heatran to take care of him. The most notable options over GK are Encore and Fake Out. With Encore, you can lock Swampert into Stealth Rock, forcing him to switch-out, and other slower Pokemon as well. Fake Out allows you to break the sashes of opposing leads, most notably of Azelf. Most Azelf are DS now, however; in my opinion the best would be to use Encore > Grass Knot.
I know that after Stab and Technician, Bug Bite becomes the most powerful weapon Scizor can afford, yet it has terrible coverage in tandem of Bullet Punch. I suggest you to run Superpower over Bug Bite for coverage issues, it 2HKOs Skarmory after a Swords Dance, making him unable to Roost due to being weak to Fighting if he does. It OHKOs Heatran switch-ins, and it seems you have troubles handling the Sub Toxic set, so it is the superior choice for me at least.
Gyarados seems like a solid choice for this team, but I think you need to add some bulk to him, considering how Lucario weak you are.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
148 HP / 128 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Taunt
Bounce

This spread allows you to always outspeed Heatran and helps you check Lucario better than before. As much as I like your set, I must suggest a slight twist to it. Overheat deals astonoshing amounts of damage to Pokemon weak to it (Scizor, Skarmory, Metagross), meaning that Expert Belt isn´t needed. A Life Orb, however, will boost each of your moves against every Pokemon despite type-match-up.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Flash Fire
252 Spe / 252 SpAtk / 4 HP
Timid -- No reason to use Mild without Explosion.

Overheat / Fire Blast
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse / Taunt
Hidden Power Grass

The choice of moves depends on each other, if you chose Overheat, Dragon Pulse is the best option to hit Latias and Salamence switch-ins really hard, and Fire Blast, in tandem with Taunt, allows you to beat Blissey one-on-one. For Latias, the most Speed you will ever need is for Salamence, 176 to be exact. The spread 80 HP / 248 SpAtk / 180 Spe will outspeed Jolly Salamence after a Dragon Dance and anything slower, while adding some bulk to take on resisted moves like Fire Blast and Thundebolt.
Finally, your Celebi set is really bad in my opinion, since it is set up bait for Taunt Gyarados, Taunt Skarmory and Forretress. It is extremely Pursuit weak as well, since you dont have a move to hit the most common users of the move, Tyranitar and Scizor.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
232 HP / 180 Spe / 80 SpAtk / 16 Def
Modest

Grass Knot
Thunderwave
Hidden Power Fire
Recover / Leech Seed

This gives you a "decent" check to Lucario, and still spreads paralysis and walls stuff. Consider this rather than your previous set.
This is all I could see, good luck with your team and I hope I had helped ^^

For Gyarados, I also have some input. If you're going to use max Attack and Speed, you want DD + 3 Attacks along with LO. If you're going to use Taunt, you're going to want some bulk with that Gyarados because if they attack on your taunt and you aren't bulky, it's going to hurt more then you think.

As for Celebi, I really don't like it. I understand that you want to use the SubSeed method for max stalling, but then it's Taunt-Bait and you can't even attack with it. I wouldn't use Sub on a Celebi that doesn't have Baton Pass.

Gotten a message so lets do the rate:

Infernape: Looks great, you have Grass knot, the thing you might want to change and it's worth is Flamethrower to Fire Blast, -15% accuracy but it's worth the power and damage doing to other leads.

Scizor: You might just want to try the choice band set since you have a decent amount of pokes on your team that setup, and Uturn Phazes out pretty well so this is the set and EVs: 248 HP/ 252 attack / 8 Speed, Uturn l Super Power l Bullet Punch l Pursuit.

Gyarados: Looks overall decent, you might just want to change Gyarados nature into Adamant to hit stuff harder because the Jolly nature doesn't make it outspeed a lot of stuff with just one that wouldn't also make a difference with adamant. The other thing you might want to do is change bounce into either Stone edge or Earthquake.

Heatran: You probably just want to change the nature to Timid than make the Life orb you're not going to be doing a lot of damage with just expert belt on and if you really don't want a choice item just change it to Life orb then take out Grass knot to taunt to just destroy walls easier.

Latias: Looks complety fine.

Celebi: This set is definitly wierd and outdated due to Scizor and Tyranitar, so you might just want to switch to a bit offensive set on celebi which is the Tinkerbell set which is pretty defensive for a sweeper and just helps your team a lot. The EVs are 232 HP / 244 SpA / 32 Spe. The moveset for Celebi would be Thunder wave / Leaf Storm / HP Fire / Recover

Good luck, hope my analysis for your team helped.

thanks everyone.
i like the idea of going bulkier on gyarados just bc of taunt, and i will try stone edge over bounce.

for celebi, i have a host of different sets to try out and tinkerbell is on the top of my list.

and i will test out banded scizor over LO scizor

thank you!:toast:

Just one quick thing, you said that you were having trouble finding bug bite.

In order to get bug bite on Scizor on Shoddy Battle, you have to choose the Smogon University server [or any other server that updated with HG/SS moves] when you choose to create a team.

Hope that helps!:toast:

Thank you again to everyone who gave suggestions. I have tried them out and the team that has been most effective overall stands on the main post. However i have found some common problems that I would very much appreciate help with:

- Wish/Protect Vaporeon and Resttalk/CM Suicune
At first i thought, oh latias and t-bolt or scizor can come in set up on toxic and take it down, no problem. But i was wrong, this strategy is very annoying unless you have a strong STAB electric/grass attack. The tinkerbell celebi was my best counter to this (leaf storm= 125.9% - 148.7% for vaporeon; 118.8% - 140.1% for suicune) but it hardly made it into the late game bc i used it as my neutral damage/revenge killer (should i not have done that?) and i also lost the ability to stall out blisseys and anything with curse. i decided to keep the celebi i have now bc leech seed is almost like roar and the stable thunderwave support for a Heatran sweep is invaluable-i never intended to do this but it worked like a charm more than i expected.

- Spike and Stealth Rock teams
To show how noobish i am here, i thought this combination was banned so i had virtually no defenses for it. I lack a spinner which isnt really a problem considering gyarados is the only one weak to SR. spikes wasnt really an issue bc of celebi's recover, latias' resistance, and heatran's and scizor's resistance but when you combine these two, im losing like 37% on every switch in. thats zero fun. although this only happened about 10 times out of 75, it was still very annoying. I tried to taunt with gyrados but they always found a way around that (exploding).

again i am looking to the smogon community for help on this, the best competitive battling community out there. thank you as always

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)