Shiftry (Update)

Nobody bothered to revamp Shiftry, so I guess I will do it instead. Nobody thought of the Swords Dancer set when it is in fact one of Shiftry's most effective sets. This is my first analysis, so I apologize if it's not up to standard. I'm sure proofreads in some moments will be neccessary, but I hope it's good enough to not make it too painful. Some credit goes to j. franky for giving me some new ideas and correcting my grammar errors. I also give some credit to scoopapa, he may have mistakenly written the article after I did, but I took some of his ideas to put into the Team Options section.

Status: Completed, but I might take suggestions for improvement.

Changes
  • Added Swords Dance set.​
  • Added Team Options.​
  • Made it in the "Concise" format.​
  • Editted set comments.​
[Overview]​

<p>Shiftry is one underrated Pokemon since it has the ability to go both physical and special and has the ability to boost both offensive sets with Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, making it a dangerous Pokemon. It may have poor defenses and a rather limited movepool, but most sweepers aren't meant to take hits and it has enough attacking options to work with.</p>

[SET]
Name: Swords Dancer​
Move 1: Swords Dance
Move 2: Seed Bomb
Move 3: Sucker Punch
Move 4: Low Kick / Explosion
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe​

[SET COMMENTS]​

<p>One might question, why use this set when Cacturne has the exact same movepool with 15 base Attack higher? Firstly, Shiftry has 25 base Speed higher as well as Chlorophyll to outspeed almost everything in the sun, meaning it can KO opponents first before they KO it. Secondly, the surprise factor; most people expect Shiftry to be the SunnyBeamer, but most players won't expect a physically-based set.</p>​

<p>The moveset is simple, but yet very effective. Switch Shiftry into something he can scare off, like a bulky Ground or Water and then use Swords Dance. With Life Orb equipped, Shiftry has 852 attack stat to work with after a single boost. Then choose the appropriate move to batter the opponent with.</p>​

Here are some damage calculations to show the effectiveness of Shiftry:​

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 248 HP / 252 Def Bold Milotic: 132.8% - 156.2% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Slowbro: 106.6% - 125.4% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 240 HP / 0 Def Adamant Azumarill: 186% - 219% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 52 HP / 204 Def Adamant Donphan: 133.5% - 158.1% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 80 HP / 252 Def Impish Hariyama: 68.2% - 80.2% (95.4% chance to OHKO with 3 layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Sucker Punch vs 4 HP / 0 Def Adamant Toxicroak: 71.4% - 84.4% (OHKO with 3 layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Sucker Punch vs 252 HP / 4 Def Adamant Hitmontop: 39.8% - 47% (With Intimidate)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Sucker Punch vs 0 HP / 0 Def Rash Blaziken: 77.1% - 90.7% (OHKO with 3 layers of Spikes)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Sucker Punch vs 252 HP / 252 Def Impish Arcanine: 50.8% - 59.6% (With Intimidate)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Low Kick vs 252 HP / 0 Def Careful Registeel: 119.8% - 141.2% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Low Kick vs 252 HP / 0 Def Impish Steelix: 94.9% - 111.9% (OHKO with a layer of Spikes)<li>
</ul>​

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]​

<p>Shiftry has the capability to take down most physical walls with the right move. The threat of Blaziken and Toxicroak ruining you with a Vacuum Wave is non-existent with the right support. Qwilfish, Omastar, Cloyster and other Pokemon that can set up Spikes are recommended, although Qwilfish is the most practical choice because he is also resistant to Fighting attacks, and can Explode or Destiny Bond once he gets his job done. It is also highly recommended you pair Shiftry up with something to deal with Hitmontop and Arcanine, most notably Altaria with her capability to sponge Fire- and Fighting-type attacks, Roost off the damage, Heal Bell to cure any status your team has suffered from, and also use Sunny Day to restore the sun. Tangrowth can also present a threat with it's colossal base 125 Defense and above average base 100 HP, as well as a resistance to Seed Bomb, ability to handle Low Kick, and can bypass Sucker Punch with a Sleep Powder to put Shiftry out of comission, making Altaria again a very good choice with Natural Cure to circumvent Sleep and 4x resistance to Grass attacks as well as recovery with Roost.</p>​

[SET]
Name: Nasty Plotter
Move 1: Nasty Plot
Move 2: SolarBeam / Grass Knot
Move 3: Hidden Power Fire
Move 4: Dark Pulse / Explosion
Nature: Rash / Modest
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Speed​

[SET COMMENTS]​

<p>The special version of the Swords Dance set, you boost your Special Attack instead of Attack with Nasty Plot. With Sun support, SolarBeam is a good choice, if not stick with Grass Knot. Hidden Power Fire takes care of Steel-types and Grass-types.</p>​

<p>Athough Shiftry is able to OHKO Registeel with a +2 Low Kick from the Swords Dancer, he is unable to do so with a Nasty Plotted Hidden Power Fire, which only deals 72.5% - 85.7% in the sun. It is highly recommended you get the residual damage support more than ever now since Registeel can survive a boosted Hidden Power Fire in the sun.</p>​

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]​

<p>The same support is needed from the Swords Dancer. Qwilfish once again is a good choice for Spikes support in order to achieve a possible OHKO on Registeel. Altaria is really needed now since you don't have a priority move to circumvent Vacuum Wave users like Blaziken and Toxicroak.</p>​

[SET]
Name: Choice Specs
Move 1: Leaf Storm
Move 2: Hidden Power Fire
Move 3: Dark Pulse
Move 4: Explosion
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Rash
EVs: 4 Def /252 SpA / 252 Spe​

[SET COMMENTS]​

<p>This set doesn't offer as much power as the previous two sets, but it can hit right off the bat for high damage. Choice Specs Leaf Storm does plenty of damage outright, while Hidden Power Fire and Dark Pulse for coverage. Explosion is used once Shiftry has done his job, additionally catching Chansey off guard if needed.</p>​

[Team Options]​

<p>As mentioned several times, Qwilfish and Altaria make awesome partners for setting up Spikes and dealing with Shiftry's counters respectively. For Sun support, your best bet is Uxie, with the ability to set up Stealth Rock as well as Sunny Day to give you the Speed you need. Uxie can also use Yawn to force a switch, then use U-turn to get Shiftry safely in because as mentioned, Shiftry only has mediocre defenses at best. Ambipom can also work here because of his high speed and Fake Out to soften up opponents, putting them in the KO range of Shiftry. Bulky Waters like Slowbro and Milotic can work against Blaziken and Hitmontop, but the former normally carries Hidden Power Grass, so tread carefully, and you are still screwed against Toxicroak unless you use Slowbro with Psychic.</p>​

<p>Toxicroak is an interesting option, since it functions very similarly and together the two can power through their counters. However, such a strategy is risky, as some counters (such as SubRoost Moltres) are very capable of taking on both in the same match. As such, you may want to pair Shiftry with one or more sweepers who offer contrasting coverage, such as Raikou or Alakazam. When using this strategy, it is also recommended to have a wall-breaker such as Blaziken or Nidoking, who can pose an immediate threat to your opponent's team. Every Pokemon your wall-breaker removes is a potential counter to one of your varied sweepers, allowing you to eventually find an opportunity for a clean sweep. Shiftry's sweeping partner should preferably be able to deal with Weezing, who walls Shiftry easily.</p>​

<p>Offensive pairings include fellow Sunny Day sweepers and Fire-types. They include Victreebel, Exeggutor, Magmortar and Arcanine.</p>​

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]​

<p>Shiftry may use Hidden Power Ice to OHKO Altaria on Special Attacking sets, but Hidden Power Fire is usually the better choice to hit a wider range of opponents.</p>​

<p>Shiftry also has access to Rock Slide to help him hit Fire-types, most notably Moltres and Arcanine, since the former resists Grass 4x, and the latter will force you out more often than not with Intimidate and ExtremeSpeed but it still remains susceptible to Fighting-types, therefore sticking with the recommended movesets would probably be the best idea.</p>​

<p>Shiftry can also SubSeed, especially in the Sun when its Speed doubled, but it is better left to more defensive Grass-types like Tangrowth since Shiftry has better things to do. (E.g: Sweep the opposition.)</p>​

[COUNTERS]​

<p>Arcanine, Blaziken, Toxicroak and Hitmontop are the bane of Shiftry. They have the ability to take anything but Explosions and KO Shiftry with super effective STAB attacks. Tangrowth is also a very good counter to the Swords Dancer set, with it's colossal base 125 Defense and above average base 100 HP, as well as a resistance to Seed Bomb, ability to handle Low Kick, and then circumvent Sucker Punch by putting Shiftry to sleep with Sleep Powder, but quickly dies to any Special Attacking set. Weezing is pretty much the same, and also has Haze to erase Swords Dance boosts, and can KO with a Fire move. But the best way to deal with Shiftry is to just hit it outright and not let it set up; its defenses are mediocre at best and a decently powered STAB attack should cripple, if not KO him.</p>​

Ummm Shiftry should only be used in the Sun and is too frail to be setting it up itself, so push the SD and NP set to the top over the SunnyBeamer. I'm not sure why you removed the Uber Sweeper set, did you test it in Ubers and find it ineffective?

Ummm Shiftry should only be used in the Sun and is too frail to be setting it up itself, so push the SD and NP set to the top over the SunnyBeamer. I'm not sure why you removed the Uber Sweeper set, did you test it in Ubers and find it ineffective?
Like you said, Shiftry is already frail enough to set up by itself even in the UU environment, so let alone Ubers. Shiftry CAN find the time to set up on something he can scare off in UU like a bulky Ground or Water, but in Ubers, what exactly can he scare off? And yes, I did say Shiftry is to be used in the sun.

Like you said, Shiftry is already frail enough to set up by itself even in the UU environment, so let alone Ubers. Shiftry CAN find the time to set up on something he can scare off in UU like a bulky Ground or Water, but in Ubers, what exactly can he scare off? And yes, I did say Shiftry is to be used in the sun.
Groudon = Infinite Sun.

Dark STAB against all the Psychics and Ghosts in Ubers?

And if Shiftry is only to be used in the Sun, the SunnyBeamer set is rather obsolete as it Shiftry won't be in the Sun in the first place. It is not Shiftry's best set and should be shifted back.

Groudon = Infinite Sun.

Dark STAB against all the Psychics and Ghosts in Ubers?

And if Shiftry is only to be used in the Sun, the SunnyBeamer set is rather obsolete as it Shiftry won't be in the Sun in the first place. It is not Shiftry's best set and should be shifted back.
Maybe so, but his attacking stats are rather low in the Uber environment, and he won't be KOing anything with them unless he can somehow Nasty Plot or Swords Dance, which he won't really have the time to do so. And yeah, you are right about the SunnyBeamer, I shifted it back.

I used an interesting "mixed" set with a surprising amount of success in UU:

[SET]
Name: Mixed Attacker
Move 2: Sucker Punch
Move 3: Low Kick
Move 4: Rock Slide
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe

Pretty self explanatory. Leaf Storm hits hard, and anything it doesn't hit hard is nailed by Low Kick or Rock Slide. Sucker Punch is an amazing STAB priority attack, and it really helps against Kabutops in the Rain.

Also, make all of your sets look like mine (format-wise I mean, yours are incorrect).

I used an interesting "mixed" set with a surprising amount of success in UU:

[SET]
Name: Mixed Attacker
Move 2: Sucker Punch​

Move 3: Low Kick
Move 4: Rock Slide
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe

Pretty self explanatory. Leaf Storm hits hard, and anything it doesn't hit hard is nailed by Low Kick or Rock Slide. Sucker Punch is an amazing STAB priority attack, and it really helps against Kabutops in the Rain.

Also, make all of your sets look like mine (format-wise I mean, yours are incorrect).
Eh how is it incorrect?

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, basically a lot of things are wrong with this, the Ubers set DEFINITELY needs to be here first of all, as I really believe that it is Shiftry's best set in any tier. The fact that Groudon can provide everlasting sun for Shiftry is a huge benefit, as it is basically like having Shiftry sweep under one long Sunny Day. In addition to this, with Chlorophyl Shiftry basically outspeeds everything in Ubers, and can hit the many common Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon there hard with an STAB Dark Pulse. Solarbeam hits Groudon and friends, while Shiftry can even go as far as to utilize Hidden Power Ice so that it can outspeed and deal hefty damage to the ever-present Rayquaza (not to mention the not-so-common but still great Garchomp). Basically, I do really believe that the Ubers set needs to be in this analysis. Another thing that is wrong here is the damage table; you need to use specific tags around the table, just like the "<p>" and "</p>" tags. I'm not sure what tags you need to use, however, so I suggest you dig around in the C&C archive until you find an old analysis with damage calculations, as it will show you the correct tags to use. Grammatically there are many problems as well, and the writing is honestly not that good. This analysis thus far is definitely not up to the standard that Smogon is looking for, and so I highly suggest that you comb through your own analysis and try and make the writing stronger and look for grammar mistakes. It is evident that you did not do so, and it is important that you do so that the grammar checkers here on Smogon don't have to make a correction every sentence.

Thank you!

Yeah, basically a lot of things are wrong with this, the Ubers set DEFINITELY needs to be here first of all, as I really believe that it is Shiftry's best set in any tier. The fact that Groudon can provide everlasting sun for Shiftry is a huge benefit, as it is basically like having Shiftry sweep under one long Sunny Day. In addition to this, with Chlorophyl Shiftry basically outspeeds everything in Ubers, and can hit the many common Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon there hard with an STAB Dark Pulse. Solarbeam hits Groudon and friends, while Shiftry can even go as far as to utilize Hidden Power Ice so that it can outspeed and deal hefty damage to the ever-present Rayquaza (not to mention the not-so-common but still great Garchomp). Basically, I do really believe that the Ubers set needs to be in this analysis. Another thing that is wrong here is the damage table; you need to use specific tags around the table, just like the "<p>" and "</p>" tags. I'm not sure what tags you need to use, however, so I suggest you dig around in the C&C archive until you find an old analysis with damage calculations, as it will show you the correct tags to use. Grammatically there are many problems as well, and the writing is honestly not that good. This analysis thus far is definitely not up to the standard that Smogon is looking for, and so I highly suggest that you comb through your own analysis and try and make the writing stronger and look for grammar mistakes. It is evident that you did not do so, and it is important that you do so that the grammar checkers here on Smogon don't have to make a correction every sentence.

Thank you!
Hmm OK I will attempt to correct it. Nobody bothered to update Shiftry, and nobody thought of the Swords Dancer, so I thought I will put it in. Need to correct immediately.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Shiftry is one underrated Pokemon since it has the ability to go both physical and special and has the ability to boost both offensive sets with Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, making it a dangerous Pokemon. It may have poor defenses and a rather limited movepool, but most sweepers aren't meant to take hits and it has enough attacking options to work with.<p>

[SET]
Name: Swords Dancer
Move 2: Seed Bomb​
Move 4: Low Kick / Explosion [always space between slashes. i.e cat / dog not cat/dog]
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe [The proper wording is Def / Atk / Spe / SpD / HP, this applies to the next sets]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>One might question, why use this set when Cacturne has the exact same movepool with 15 base Attack [always capitalize stats] higher? Firstly, Shiftry has 25 base Speed higher as well as Chlorophyll to outspeed almost everything in the sun, meaning it [pronoun consistency, stick to "it"] can KO opponents first before they KO it. Secondly, the surprise factor; most people expect Shiftry to be the SunnyBeamer, but most players won't expect a physically-based set. [removed 'get the hell' needs to sound professional :p]<p>

<p>The moveset is simple, but yet very effective. Switch Shiftry into something he can scare off, like a bulky Ground or Water and then use Swords Dance. With Life Orb equipped, Shiftry has 852 attack stat to work with after a single boost. Choose the appropriate move to batter the opponent with.<p>

Here are some damage calculations to show the effectiveness of Shiftry:

<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 248 HP / 252 Def Bold Milotic: 132.8% - 156.2% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Slowbro: 106.6% - 125.4% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 240 HP / 0 Def Adamant Azumarill: 186% - 219% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 52 HP / 204 Def Adamant Donphan: 133.5% - 158.1% (Clean OHKO)<li>​
<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 80 HP / 252 Def Impish Hariyama: 68.2% - 80.2% (95.4% chance to OHKO with 3 layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Sucker Punch vs 4 HP / 0 Def Adamant Toxicroak: 71.4% - 84.4% (OHKO with 3 layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Sucker Punch vs 252 HP / 4 Def Adamant Hitmontop: 39.8% - 47% (With Intimidate)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Sucker Punch vs 0 HP / 0 Def Rash Blaziken: 77.1% - 90.7% (OHKO with 3 layers of Spikes)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Sucker Punch vs 252 HP / 252 Def Impish Arcanine: 50.8% - 59.6% (With Intimidate)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Low Kick vs 252 HP / 0 Def Careful Registeel: 119.8% - 141.2% (Clean OHKO)<li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Low Kick vs 252 HP / 0 Def Impish Steelix: 94.9% - 111.9% (OHKO with a layer of Spikes)<li>
</ul>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Shiftry has the capability to take down most physical walls with the right move. The threat of Blaziken and Toxicroak ruining you with a Vacuum Wave is non-existent with the right support. Froslass is the best candidate for Spikes support; her immunity to the priority Fighting attacks Shiftry lures gives her ample time to set up Spikes, then possibly take down an opposition with Destiny Bond. It is highly recommended you pair Shiftry up with something to deal with Hitmontop and Arcanine, most notably Altaria with her capability to sponge Fire- and Fighting-type [dash for this] attacks, Roost off the damage, Heal Bell to cure any status your team has suffered from, and also use Sunny Day to restore the sun.<p>

[SET]
Move 2: SolarBeam / Grass Knot​
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The special version of the Swords Dance set, but instead you boost your Special Attack instead with Nasty Plot. With Sun support, SolarBeam is a good choice, if not stick with Grass Knot. Hidden Power Fire takes care of Steel-types and Grass-types.<p>

<p>Athough Shiftry is able to OHKO Registeel with a +2 Low Kick from the Swords Dancer, he is unable to do so with a Nasty Plotted Hidden Power Fire, which only deals 72.5% - 85.7%. It is highly recommended you get the residual damage support more than ever now since Registeel can survive a boosted Hidden Power Fighting.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The same support is needed from the Swords Dancer. Froslass once again is good for Spikes support in order to achieve a possible OHKO on Registeel. Altaria is really needed now since you don't have a priority move to circumvent Vacuum Wave users like Blaziken and Toxicroak.<p>

[SET]
Name: SunnyBeamer
Move 1: Sunny Day
Move 2: SolarBeam​
Move 4: Explosion / Dark Pulse
Item: Life Orb / Heat Rock
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The standard moveset for SunnyBeamers. Use Sunny Day to double your Speed and start blasting away with SolarBeam. Hidden Power Fire covers Steel-types and deals with opposing Grass-types. Explosion is used to take out those pesky special walls, notably Chansey. Dark Pulse is an alternative for a secondary STAB move, but you will be walled by Chansey if you do so.<p>​

<p>Life Orb is the preferred option to hit much harder, but Heat Rock is an acceptable alternative to make the sun last longer. Use a Rash nature with Explosion, and a Modest nature without.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread for this Shiftry is pretty simple, max out Speed and Special Attack to deal as much damage as possible, and dump the rest into Defense, so it can switch into Stealth Rock 8 times without dying.<p>​

<p>Shiftry will have a lot of trouble with opposing Fire-types, like Arcanine and Blaziken. [Toxicroak is not a Fire-type] Altaria is once again recommended to deal with the Fire-types that potentially wall this set, and also deal with certain Fighting-types like Toxicroak, Hitmontop and Blaziken. Though it is recommended that you run Aerial Ace over Dragon Claw to effectively deal with these aforementioned threats. [added information]</p>

[SET]
EVs: 4 Def /252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set doesn't offer as much power as the previous two sets, but it can hit right off the bat for high damage. Choice Specs Leaf Storm does plenty of damage outright, while Hidden Power Fire and Dark Pulse for coverage. Explosion is used once Shiftry has done his job, additionally catching Chansey off guard if needed.<p>

You forgot Team Options for this

[Team Options]

<p>As mentioned several times, Froslass and Altaria make awesome partners for setting up Spikes and dealing with Shiftry's counters respectively. For Sun support, your best bet is Uxie, with the ability to set up Stealth Rock as well as Sunny Day to give you the Speed you need.<p>

<p>Offensive pairings include fellow Sunny Day sweepers and Fire-types. They include Victreebel, Exeggutor, Magmortar and Arcanine. You may use Sunflora and Vileplume, but they are outclassed by Victreebel and Exeggutor is terms of sweeping. [then why mention the last part?]<p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Shiftry may use Hidden Power Ice to OHKO Altaria on Special Attacking sets, but Hidden Power Fire is usually the better choice to hit a wider range of opponents.<p>

<p>Shiftry also has access to Rock Slide to help him hit Fire-types, most notably Moltres, [I think Moltres is a better example since it resist Grass by 4] but it still remains susceptible to Fighting-types, therefore sticking with the recommended movesets would probably be the best idea.<p>

<p>Shiftry can also SubSeed, especially in the Sun when its Speed doubled, but it is better left to more defensive Grass-types like Tangrowth since Shiftry has better things to do. (E.g: Sweep the opposition.)<p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>Arcanine, Toxicroak and Hitmontop are the bane of Shiftry. They have the ability to take anything but Explosions and KO Shiftry with super effective STAB attacks. The best way to deal with Shiftry is to just hit it outright and not let it set up; its defenses are mediocre at best and a decently powered STAB attack should cripple, if not KO him.<p>

---

Good Job gaga for your first full revamp. The changes are in bold, and the comments are in paranthesis. Make sure to note the stuff I put in the paranthesis for future reference, if you ever decide to make an analysis. Now that I grammar checked it, I still feel like this needs to be better content wise. Here are some ideas:

-expand the team option sections. you don't always have to list out the counters to your counter and call it a day. you can take out several threats through luring.

-you need to explain how shiftry will make its way in since you mention the fact that its defenses are mediocre at best. u-turn uxie could work out, yawn + u-turn could work out, etc.

-possible "other" option checks to Fire-type would probably be milotic. in uu, bulky waters are probably the favorites for checking fire-types, and altaria is sometimes unreliable due to the sr weakness. milotic or slowbro make fantastic bulky water checks.

-put tangrowth in the sd section, since it can take a +2 seed bomb and low kick nicely and place you to sleep with sleep powder. tangrowth is the best physical wall in uu, and it should at least be mentioned.

That's pretty much it, good luck with this, hope you take my suggestions.

[Overview]

<p>Shiftry is one underrated Pokemon since it has the ability to go both physical and special and has the ability to boost both offensive sets with Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, making it a dangerous Pokemon. It may have poor defenses and a rather limited movepool, but most sweepers aren't meant to take hits and it has enough attacking options to work with.<p>

[SET]
Name: Swords Dancer
Move 2: Seed Bomb​
Move 4: Low Kick / Explosion [always space between slashes. i.e cat / dog not cat/dog]
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe [The proper wording is Def / Atk / Spe / SpD / HP, this applies to the next sets]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>One might question, why use this set when Cacturne has the exact same movepool with 15 base Attack [always capitalize stats] higher? Firstly, Shiftry has 25 base Speed higher as well as Chlorophyll to outspeed almost everything in the sun, meaning it [pronoun consistency, stick to "it"] can KO opponents first before they KO it. Secondly, the surprise factor; most people expect Shiftry to be the SunnyBeamer, but most players won't expect a physically-based set. [removed 'get the hell' needs to sound professional :p]<p>

<p>The moveset is simple, but yet very effective. Switch Shiftry into something he can scare off, like a bulky Ground or Water and then use Swords Dance. With Life Orb equipped, Shiftry has 852 attack stat to work with after a single boost. Choose the appropriate move to batter the opponent with.<p>

Here are some damage calculations to show the effectiveness of Shiftry:

<li>+2 Life Orb Seed Bomb vs 52 HP / 204 Def Adamant Donphan: 133.5% - 158.1% (Clean OHKO)<li>​
</ul>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Shiftry has the capability to take down most physical walls with the right move. The threat of Blaziken and Toxicroak ruining you with a Vacuum Wave is non-existent with the right support. Froslass is the best candidate for Spikes support; her immunity to the priority Fighting attacks Shiftry lures gives her ample time to set up Spikes, then possibly take down an opposition with Destiny Bond. It is highly recommended you pair Shiftry up with something to deal with Hitmontop and Arcanine, most notably Altaria with her capability to sponge Fire- and Fighting-type [dash for this] attacks, Roost off the damage, Heal Bell to cure any status your team has suffered from, and also use Sunny Day to restore the sun.<p>

[SET]
Move 2: SolarBeam / Grass Knot​
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The special version of the Swords Dance set, but instead you boost your Special Attack instead with Nasty Plot. With Sun support, SolarBeam is a good choice, if not stick with Grass Knot. Hidden Power Fire takes care of Steel-types and Grass-types.<p>

<p>Athough Shiftry is able to OHKO Registeel with a +2 Low Kick from the Swords Dancer, he is unable to do so with a Nasty Plotted Hidden Power Fire, which only deals 72.5% - 85.7%. It is highly recommended you get the residual damage support more than ever now since Registeel can survive a boosted Hidden Power Fighting.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The same support is needed from the Swords Dancer. Froslass once again is good for Spikes support in order to achieve a possible OHKO on Registeel. Altaria is really needed now since you don't have a priority move to circumvent Vacuum Wave users like Blaziken and Toxicroak.<p>

[SET]
Name: SunnyBeamer
Move 1: Sunny Day
Move 2: SolarBeam​
Move 4: Explosion / Dark Pulse
Item: Life Orb / Heat Rock
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The standard moveset for SunnyBeamers. Use Sunny Day to double your Speed and start blasting away with SolarBeam. Hidden Power Fire covers Steel-types and deals with opposing Grass-types. Explosion is used to take out those pesky special walls, notably Chansey. Dark Pulse is an alternative for a secondary STAB move, but you will be walled by Chansey if you do so.<p>​

<p>Life Orb is the preferred option to hit much harder, but Heat Rock is an acceptable alternative to make the sun last longer. Use a Rash nature with Explosion, and a Modest nature without.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread for this Shiftry is pretty simple, max out Speed and Special Attack to deal as much damage as possible, and dump the rest into Defense, so it can switch into Stealth Rock 8 times without dying.<p>​

<p>Shiftry will have a lot of trouble with opposing Fire-types, like Arcanine and Blaziken. [Toxicroak is not a Fire-type] Altaria is once again recommended to deal with the Fire-types that potentially wall this set, and also deal with certain Fighting-types like Toxicroak, Hitmontop and Blaziken. Though it is recommended that you run Aerial Ace over Dragon Claw to effectively deal with these aforementioned threats. [added information]</p>

[SET]
EVs: 4 Def /252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set doesn't offer as much power as the previous two sets, but it can hit right off the bat for high damage. Choice Specs Leaf Storm does plenty of damage outright, while Hidden Power Fire and Dark Pulse for coverage. Explosion is used once Shiftry has done his job, additionally catching Chansey off guard if needed.<p>

You forgot Team Options for this

[Team Options]

<p>As mentioned several times, Froslass and Altaria make awesome partners for setting up Spikes and dealing with Shiftry's counters respectively. For Sun support, your best bet is Uxie, with the ability to set up Stealth Rock as well as Sunny Day to give you the Speed you need.<p>

<p>Offensive pairings include fellow Sunny Day sweepers and Fire-types. They include Victreebel, Exeggutor, Magmortar and Arcanine. You may use Sunflora and Vileplume, but they are outclassed by Victreebel and Exeggutor is terms of sweeping. [then why mention the last part?]<p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Shiftry may use Hidden Power Ice to OHKO Altaria on Special Attacking sets, but Hidden Power Fire is usually the better choice to hit a wider range of opponents.<p>

<p>Shiftry also has access to Rock Slide to help him hit Fire-types, most notably Moltres, [I think Moltres is a better example since it resist Grass by 4] but it still remains susceptible to Fighting-types, therefore sticking with the recommended movesets would probably be the best idea.<p>

<p>Shiftry can also SubSeed, especially in the Sun when its Speed doubled, but it is better left to more defensive Grass-types like Tangrowth since Shiftry has better things to do. (E.g: Sweep the opposition.)<p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>Arcanine, Toxicroak and Hitmontop are the bane of Shiftry. They have the ability to take anything but Explosions and KO Shiftry with super effective STAB attacks. The best way to deal with Shiftry is to just hit it outright and not let it set up; its defenses are mediocre at best and a decently powered STAB attack should cripple, if not KO him.<p>

---

Good Job gaga for your first full revamp. The changes are in bold, and the comments are in paranthesis. Make sure to note the stuff I put in the paranthesis for future reference, if you ever decide to make an analysis. Now that I grammar checked it, I still feel like this needs to be better content wise. Here are some ideas:

-expand the team option sections. you don't always have to list out the counters to your counter and call it a day. you can take out several threats through luring.

-you need to explain how shiftry will make its way in since you mention the fact that its defenses are mediocre at best. u-turn uxie could work out, yawn + u-turn could work out, etc.

-possible "other" option checks to Fire-type would probably be milotic. in uu, bulky waters are probably the favorites for checking fire-types, and altaria is sometimes unreliable due to the sr weakness. milotic or slowbro make fantastic bulky water checks.

-put tangrowth in the sd section, since it can take a +2 seed bomb and low kick nicely and place you to sleep with sleep powder. tangrowth is the best physical wall in uu, and it should at least be mentioned.

That's pretty much it, good luck with this, hope you take my suggestions.
Thanks for your help, it is appreciated. Hmm, I can use analyses (Is this the correct spelling for the plural form...?) like this for my own personal improvements, like improve in composition writing in my English class :P

I was planning to do an analysis of Shiftry. Any reason why this one was ignored? as I don't want to waste my time writing one when there is one here..

are you going to write this? heist has expressed interest in writing a shiftry update so if you're not going to then you should let him do it.

Actually Twash asked me to do it, but I totally forgot about it/have a lot of other shit. Heist should probably do it.

This article was long dead, well someone user by the name of YaM told to me update it, so here it is.

Updated the article and removed all mentions of Froslass. This article can definitely stand to be improved though. If Heist can do a better job writing (which he probably can) by all means go ahead. Although I would like some form of credit for the Swords Dance set, which I came up with first before anyone else did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)