Overused of the Overused [OU RMT]

Hey everyone, welcome to my OU RMT. I really hate OU at the moment, but I wanted to make a team with the top 6 pokemon (going by January stats) and see if it could do well. Shocker, it did. I counted Rotom-a over Gyarados in the usage stats because I didn't want to use Gyara and I figured a Spin Blocker would work well and I like using RestTalk Rotom-a. I also got bored of only being able to play Heavy Stall oriented teams, so I tried to make one that is a little more balanced or offensive.

Odds are if you are reading this, you haven't closed out yet so you may as well read the rest.

The Team:

4 (Heatran) (M) @ Shuca Berry

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Explosion
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

So I looked through the usage stats and saw two potential leads I could use: Tyranitar or Heatran, well I really felt like Tyranitar would serve me better other place, so I went with Heatran mostly because I've never used LeadTran before. Usually I set up Rocks on the first turn, unless they use a lead that is faster than me in which I use Flamethrower. Earthpower is for Tyranitar and Metagross as well ass opposing Heatrans. Explosion is for a last stand move and maybe to dent or KO some switch ins.

1 (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor is the #1 used pokemon in OU and for good reason. Its quite good. I do think its a tad overrated as far as people whorring CB versions so much but I can't talk since I'm using it. STAB + Technician Boost + CB Bullet Punch does a number to just about every big threat that it is used to stop. U-Turn is a nice scouting move after I boom with Heatran, as that is standard procedure to go to this guy or Rotom-a. Superpower is a p good finishing move as well helping me take care of Snorlax. Pursuit is for the random Pursuit bait people like to use.

3 (Salamence) (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

DD Mence is something I have rarely if ever used. I recently decided I'd give it a try and I was not dissapointed, after 1 Dragon Dance this beast is near unstoppable outside of CB Weavile (lol) and CB Mamo and a few other hard hitters. I go with Aqua Tail because it hits just about everything for Neutral Damage but I feel like it doesn't offer me any additional coverage, except it makes me not walled by Skarmory or Bronzong and other Ground-resisant pokemon. Earthquake is for the other Steels and garbage like Tentasuck and the lot. Outrage is what I use when I'm at ~40% or Below and just go out.

2 (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

ScarfTar has been whored out so much lately, I'm almost positive its the reason its in the top 6, but that doesn't mean its awful by any means. STAB Crunch does an arse ton of damage to just about everything not named Scizor or Lucario. Earthquake is to deal with stuff like Metagross, and Lucario. Pursuit is for dealing with awful Scarf/Specs pokemon that are Pursuit Bait, I might change this to Fire Punch though, so I'm not walled by Forry. Stone Edge is for general Flying types that aren't Skarmory (who also walls this set).

5 (Latias) (F) @ Expert Belt

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Energy Ball
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Most of you people are probably thinking, "expert belt lolwut." Well I have my reasonings. Its nice, because it helps me bluff Specs set and people send in a DDGyara or something and try to set up and then BOOM Thunderbolt. To the face. THE FACE. Dragon Pulse is for a generally useful STAB as well as laughing at DD Mence switch ins to Energy Ball. Energy Ball is to prevent Pert from walling me completely. T-Bolt is for Gyara and Skarmory, Surf is for just overall general coverage.

6 (Rotom-h) @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Will-o-wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ah yes, Rotom-h. Probably one of my favorite pokemon in all of OU. RestTalk is my favorite set that I run on this guy. Discharge is for STAB and decent coverage. WoW makes it less of Pursuit bait by cutting Tar and Scizor's damage output. RestTalk is for status absorbing and generally being annoying.

Conclusion:

I basically made this team with the intent to prove a point: That the current metagame is too darn centralized. While using this team, I had a surprising revalation: most people are unable to counter the top 6 threats in the current metagame. So far this team has done pretty good, netting about 25 wins and only around 10 losses (nothing stellar, but im a pretty bad battler).

Some problem pokemon for this team:

Ironically, CB Scizor is a huge problem for me, hence my probably adding Fire Punch to ScarfTar.

Stall Teams in general, I lack an effective wall breaker, so I think I might drop my beloved DD Mence for the New MixMence set, which wrecks most stall team pretty badly.

I am not used to offensively oriented playstyles. When I started playing competitive pokemon, Stall teams were really common, especially amongst the people I played with when I first started, so I was told from the beginning that "offense sucks" but I decided that is a hell of a lot more fun than Spikes + Rocks + T-Spikes + Whirlwind = gg.

C+C is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Hi there. I noticed your team is simply the top 6 Pokemon in the tier. I made a couple of those teams and they are fairly solid. Some things to consider though is Hidden Power Grass on Heatran over Explosion or Earth Power. This may seem gimmicky, but your Pokemon have trouble with one big mudfish, Swampert. Tyranitar, Salamence, and even Rotom-H can be walled by Swampert, and as such, getting rid of it early on can be very beneficial to your team. I also think you should try Lava Plume on Heatran instead of Flamethrower. Although the difference may seem minuscule, Lava Plume allows you to burn many common switch ins, such as Swampert, Gyarados, and Tyranitar. If you manage to get a burn, you can also defeat Mamoswine in one hit, as well as Smeargle. A burnt Metagross won't be doing much with Earthquake either.

I highly suggest replacing Aqua Tail on Salamence with Fire Blast, as Skarmory is just that much of a pain. Also, if Scizor comes in prematurely (not being able to OHKO with Bullet Punch) you can nail it quickly for the OHKO. Another thing you can try is Dragon Claw > Outrage, which gives you a STAB move without locking yourself in. This is very helpful against Latias, Gyarados, or Rotom-A trying to lock you in for a Steel-type to revenge kill you.

Grass Knot is better than Energy Ball on Latias, because it hits Tyranitar and Suicune harder. You already have Thunderbolt for Vaporeon so there is really no reason at all to use Energy Ball at all. However, Hidden Power Fire could be used over Thunderbolt (but I'd still use Grass Knot) to defeat Scizor. Scizor is a real trouble to Tyranitar and Salamence, so luring and killing it with Latias will be very helpful to the rest of your team, as long as you don't mind the Speed loss. Good luck.

Couple of things that should be changed as the movesets i suggest are just better in every way.

First of all Salamence without Fire Blast is just pointless, especially in a metagame where skarmory is so rife. This, above all, will help you against stall. If you do make this change you should run naive so you dont reduce your special attack stat.

Secondly Latias is all wrong, you picked a good set, but you really should use the staple moves. I suggest:

- Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse (at this point it is hard to tell which is better, definitely test both)
- Grass Knot ( over tbolt, as Suicune could be a pain to this team, though this is by no means a panacea)
- Surf (coverage)
- Hidden Power Fire

Hidden power fire is the most crucial move on the set. This is the move that will allow Salamence to sweep, and seeing as this is the most offensively powerful pokemon in standard you should win if Scizor is out of the way and you have a DD up.

If we now see this team as a Salamence sweep team, it may be worth while to turn Heatran into a bait for Swampert, the only thing other than scizor that can stop the vicious dragon. I suggest Hidden Power Grass over explosion, unfortunately this wont KO but it will do around 80%+ of damage and you will be able to live the EQ if they decide to use it instead of the majority that will sr thinking they have impunity. If you do this change the nature to timid and see the Heatran page for the IV spread. I've used this tactic before and its worked really well so give it a shot. One of the big advantages of this is that you lose explosion thus it should stick around longer so you should have another switch into scizor.

On the topic of scizor. Ive always thought that Rotom is its best counter, but to do this to the best of its ability it requires more bulk. This is the spread i sugggest:

252hp/252def
Bold

Hope this all helps.

In short:

Fire Blast Mence
HP Fire Latias
HP Grass Heatran
Bulkier Rotom

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have recieved a request for a rate, but first I want to know whether you are limiting yourself to the pokemon you currently have or not.

If you are, since you mentioned Scizor trouble, you should definitely use Hp Fire over thunderbolt/Grass knot on Latias. Scizor will usually pursuit/U-turn as it thinks you have locked yourself into a dragon move. Note that draco meteor followed by HP Fire still KOes Scizor, and will give something of a wallbreaking ability. This should open up a Salamence sweep, hopefully. Note that with HP fire you will drop your speed IV, losing to other Latias and Gengar. This means that unless you really want to beat out other HP Fire Latias and Gengar, I would suggest trying 184 speed EVs. This outruns the standard Infernape still, to whom your team has somewhat of a weakness, and the extra bulk will help you check it better.

Finally, to help with a dragon dance Tyranitar weakness, I would suggest the use of Superpower over Earthquake on Tyranitar.

Fire punch won't work on ScarfTar unless you are great at prediction - Latias does not require this and so is infinitely better. Sorry for the crap rate - there is no freedom without being able to change your pokemon around. If you are open to this, say so and I'll try again.

Alright thanks for the rates guys, I'll test out these changes, but to answer MetaNite's question, the reason I have Energy Ball, is because the purpose is to bluff Specs/Scarf, so a person may switch a Pert/Hippo into me while I spam T-Bolt, and then "boom" faked them out, but I think I will put Grass Knot >> Energy Ball on Latias since Energy Ball is kinda lol with so many heavy mons.

@ JC, I'm not going to limit my team, I mostly made the original team with top 6 to prove a point, now I'm going to adapt it to counter my threats without losing my checks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)