Very basic Seattle VGC warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi everyone. I'm dead tired right now having had about 8 hours worth of sleep in the last three nights (these tournament events tend to do that!), but a lot of people keep asking what the first few rounds of this year's VGC events are like, and how the Kyogre/Hitmontop team works. Since I think the latter is fairly obvious, I'm willing to post some stuff including a video of myself in R3 using it. Its a good showcase of Hitmontop which is likely famous now.

Hopefully this helps you get some idea of what you're likely to face.

For the record I used the same team, give or take some EVs, as Zerowing did.

R1: Henry

Opponent: Infernape, Weavile, Giratina-O, Mewtwo

My opponent lead with Infernape and Weavile, which I originally assumed would have both used Fake Out to be annoying. Instead, my Fake Out with 'Top hit Infernape and Kyogre KO'd both opponents with Water Spout. My opponent mentioned that Infernape had the Sash, so I was correct when I hit it instead.

Henry then sent out Giratina-O and Mewtwo. I scored a critical hit Sucker Punch with 'Top on Mewtwo which was a one hit-KO, and Kygore Water Spouted again to severely damage Giratina-O before taking a Thunderbolt in return. On the final turn I swapped Kyogre with Abomasnow, but ended up finishing the battle with another Sucker Punch from 'Top.

Result: 4-0.

R2: Cody

Opponent: Giratina-O, Scizor, ???, ???

My memory is terrible. My opponent posted below and other than originally remembering the Scizor the recolletion was wrong since it had my using Fake Out on Scizor's lead partner, which I thought was Dialga, but turned out to be Giratina-O. So yeah.

Result: 3-0.

R3: Jonathan

This was a good match. I have it uploaded via Vs recorder. Just watch it there.

51-76534-10095

Really, I thought I was going to lose this match until I paralyzed his Scarf Palkia. However, his Weavile either didn't have Fake Out, or he made an error and didn't use it against my Kyogre on the last turn. The main error I made was protecting with Hitmontop the turn I brought in Giratina. I ended up apologizing quite a bit for paralyzing his Palkia.

R4: Chris Tsai (2008 Los Angeles Champion)

Chris was, as I found out while sitting in the finalists lounge after round 3, the man himself that had defeated Zerowing in 2008 at LA. He's a cool guy. Anyway, after some weird situation involving byes, too many byes, and Chris and I's being revoked, we had to play each other even though the rest of the pairings that round were random. Dang RNG!

Chris asked that we didn't reveal his team, and as he's likely playing in SFO, that's fair. Not to lessen Chris' victory, but his team matched very well against mine, and he emerged victorious. An excellent match, Chris. Good luck in SFO!

Were you Michael? If so then I'm the one who battled you in R2. Or at least it seems that way from what you said. I lead with Scizor and Origin Giratina but I KO'd Hitmontop near the end but yeah about 30% on Kyogre and Abomasnow sounds right. You pretty much decimated my team with Water Spout, down to my Zapdos.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
heh your r1 opponent actually used ubers.

i wonder if any of our teams had the same EV sets since i had the same one.

i love how the same team lost r3, r4, never.

sucks you had to play a really good guy after thinking you had a bye :[ that's p weak and i bet you could've gotten a lot farther otherwise.

spout is sick tho i went 4-0 in r2 too w/ spout.

in any case it was good meeting you even if it was briefly!

oh to anyone wondering why skarm said he had the same team as zw then says he switched Giratina in, the team worked with either & mine had a Gira in reserves but Palkia maining. not sure what zw ended up putting as his back 2 because I know he had two options.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah Cody, he was Michael and wearing a Duck shirt. Man more of you needed to speak up and tell you were Smogonites!

Yeah Cody, he was Michael and wearing a Duck shirt. Man more of you needed to speak up and tell you were Smogonites!
I literally joined the forums tonight because that was my first tournament, and really my first competitive doubles anything. But yeah me and the two guys I was with just kind of took Smogon sets and put our own little touches into them. Did not turn out well though.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ah yes, definitely. The analyses here are for singles. The cool thing about doubles is how many cool things you can try. It's very different from singles. Scizor for exMple, although a beast in singles, fares worse in this environment. Play more, then start playing around with sets and EVs and next year will be better!

Yeah, our touches were supposed to try and make them more double oriented but things did not go just as planned. I do love that Scizor though, literally got me to Round 2.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey Cody, yeah that was definitely me. I wish I remembered more about that. Literally I remembered absolutely nothing until Firestorm mentioned "Scizor" randomly in the night after. For some reason I have in my mind you were friends with my R1 opponent, but I can't make sense of that one either.

I think you did mention you used Smogon... or something when we were starting. But yeah, I guess that makes sense. I'll edit in the fact that it was likely 3-0 or so instead.

Ohhh... Chris Tsai. Very interesting. I had no idea he was there- if he wins another regional and has a showdown with zerowing at some point that'd be really quite cool.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
He lost to Zerowing in the next round so they're pretty even right now. :) I expect Chris to do well in SFO or wherever else he decides to play.

Were you a duck? The ducks were powerful. From what I seen they were all pretty much using a variation of the same team but it was good.

Firestorm

Were you a duck? The ducks were powerful. From what I seen they were all pretty much using a variation of the same team but it was good.
We should play :) I won't be going to another competition anyway. And yes he was in a duck shirt.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
Yeah, I was a Duck. I think Zerowing and I were the only ones using the same team per se, which was a collaboration made between Huy, him, and I. I don't think Huy used it, though. Fish just added Top/Ogre on spots 5/6 on his roster, and the rest of his team was his own.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Don't forget me!! I used it but I wish I'd used Gira and not Palkia lol.

I am not entirely sure but I think you guys started it because I told zerowing I wanted a counter to Trick Room since Boss Team wasn't faring well irl. Hitmontop replaced the old lead and Aboma replaced the old non-uber while Kyogre/Palkia stayed on, though Ogre got Scarf.

He'd never mentioned it until after that at least.

Huy used something with Ogre I think... it was his Ogre that he got dq'd for iirc. Maybe he used Boss in that case I'm not sure.

Ducks had STRONGTH. Too bad a bunch of us got eliminated around r3/r4. =\

Chris is going to sfo noooooos!!!!!! Yeah in any case, I'll be in sf ad this just totally sucks for me. Oh well, at least my character is named aqueos, so if I run into someone I know it will be interesting. With my luck i'll face him first round. I have faith in my team though, I have faith. Nice warstory though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)