item: focus sash
nature: brave
evs: 252 attack, 0 speed (if you want)
level: 1
0 speed IVs, 0 hp IVs
ability: Own Tempo

Strengths:
- Can eliminate up to three of an opponent's pokemon
- Will leave at least one of an opponent's pokemon asleep or at 1 health, provided the opponent's lead does not cause a flinch or put smeargle to sleep.
- There are no endeavor nor trick room smeargle on the site, and this set is both effetive and completely different than any D/P smeargle set.
- Much more useful than any other FEAR set; can and often does spore an opponent, provide trick room to outspeed everything lacking priority, and will KO opposing pokemon in spite of leftovers and reguardless of smeargle's remaining health, while all other FEAR pokemon cannot KO with their priority moves unless they are also at 1 health.
- Also functions in Ubers

Additional comments:
- should not be switched out unless at full health with no entry hazards on the field, or has a teammate with trick room to help it switch back in.
- Endeavor will hit when taunted.
- Prediction is important - you need to know whether a lead has a lum berry or not, whether it has a priority move or not, and whether it will taunt you or not. The order in which you use moves is determined by these three factors - you have to endeavor the taunt, immediately spore the priority move, and completely ignore spore against the lum berry.
- It's own tempo ability will protect smeargle from dynamic punch confusion

Teammates and Counters:
- works well with trick room pokemon
- works well with priority users and entry hazards - both make extremely potent revenge killers
- works well with at least one slow teammate, in the event that it leaves a turn of trick room out when KO'd
- In Ubers, a wobbuffett to encore a non-damaging move and safeguard against status conditions works well with this pokemon
- A sleep absorber will improve this set's effectiveness, as it loses to sleep
- Only option against ghosts is to put them to sleep, and maybe trick room a teammate in
- jirachi and togekiss leads can render it useless with flinch.
- Naturally, this flinch weakness extends to fake out leads. Infernape when it runs fake out, but also Ambipomb and Weavile will most likely force a switch out
- sleep leads, especially Breloom and Smeargle but also Crobat, Yanmega, Gengar, and Roserade will beat it. Noteably, other than Smeargle and Roserade none of these pokemon lay entry hazards, which means that smeargle can still be useful if switched out. This is important, as smeargle will beat all of these pokemon except Gengar if it can get them to switch into it's trick room. It will also win if these sleep moves miss.
- Breloom and Smeargle leads, with their 100% accurate sleep moves, completely counter this set. Especially smeargle, which will put out entry hazards. In the latter case, consider sacrificing a sleep absorber, then switch this lead in on turn 2 before smeargle can set up entry hazards, thus rendering sleep clause in play against a standard spiker lead, which has no offensive options. In the former case, it is not wise to switch smeargle back in against breloom, but breloom has no entry hazards which means there may still be a use for smeargle later in the fight.
- tyranitar and abomasnow leads hamper it's effectiveness greatly, while these two switch-ins will stop it once the focus sash is used. A substitute or the less common protect from them will break the sash.
- priority users limit it's options, and most of them require spore be used before endeavor, followed by trick room so that if you get to use dragon rage, the very next pokemon won't ko smeargle.
- Lum and chesto berries severely limit it's good options to trick room and endeavor; smeargle will be lost, but you will at least be able to control the speed of your pokemon compared to your opponent's by deciding whether to use trick room into endeavor or just endeavor. If trick room is out before the lum berry user enters and smeargle is at full health, smeargle wins if you endeavor instead of spore, but takes a hit.
- Most notably, Lum berry metagross means that Smeargle can't use sleep to get around the priority, and it is advisable to use endeavor so that metagross will be an easy KO for a priority using teammate.
- a taunting suicide lead paired with a ghost type could force this smeargle to switch, and technically puts the opponent in the exact position they desire as they intended for their lead to set up rocks and get killed, which follows removing smeargle from the match assuming no trick room/rapid spin support.

- It should be noted that while the above looks like a lot of counters, none of these actually counter this smeargle per se, with the exception of sleep leads, fakeout leads, and weather-inducing pokemon that know substitute or protect. All the other pokemon, including sleep enducing pokemon that are not leads, will either be put to sleep or left at 1 hp, or both in some cases, and there is almost nothing in OU that can safely switch into this smeargle.

Ubers
Strengths:
- The leads in Ubers are smeargle-weak compared to OU, giving it opportunities to sweep multiple pokemon in a team.
- Forces the most common Uber lead, Deoxys-e, to choose between taking out smeargle or setting up stealth rocks.
- It is much easier to return a damaged feargle to battle in Ubers than OU, because trick room palkia, trick room dialga, and wobuffet can all present it with opportunities to return under the much desired trick room effect or behind a non-damaging move.

Additional comments:
- Always Endeavor the taunters. This guarentees that you are ahead because it forces them to pick between smeargle damage and stealth rocks, and barring giratina, a sleep enducer, or a flincher, the next pokemon your opponent puts out will be reduced to 1 hp if they choose stealth rocks. The alternative is that they don't get to set up their rocks

Teammates and Counters:
- Could be paired with a sleep absorber
- Should be paired with a trick roomer
- Works well with stealth rocks and priority move users
- Works well with Wobuffet
- Tyranitar allies can break the sash, but can also pursuit Giratina-O, this set's biggest weakness.
- Darkrai and other sleep leads counter it
- Shaymin and other flinch leads soft counter it while fake out hard counters it
- Only useful move against Giratina is spore
- Tyranitars, especially switch ins, can stop it effectively if used properly. Tyranitar leads can be endeavored first turn, but as switch ins, smeargle could lose it's last health using a relatively useless move.

OU and Ubers:
This set works a lot like a FEAR set, but with some key differences that give it much more utility than a normal FEAR pokemon. Trick Room guarentees the first hit against everything lacking priority, and this speed setup lowers it's speed from 6 to 5 in the event of other level 1's (rare, but as it has no cost to smeargle, there is no reason not to go for the lowest possible speed). Being a lead, it comes in before entry hazards can ruin it.

The strategy is to use trick room to gain priority first turn, or spore against priority users and pokemon that probably don't hold a lum/chesto berry. Or in the event of a tyranitar, use endeavor to bring it down to 1 hp before the sandstorm makes smeargle useless. Next, use spore to incapacitate whatever is out or endeavor if the opponent probably has a lum/chesto berry. Once the opponent is incapacitated by spore, you endeavor. Then, use trick room if not out yet; although it increases the risk, smeargle cannot have any chance of taking the next pokemon without it. If trick room is already played, Then go for dragon rage. Dragon rage guarentees a kill against almost every pokemon in the game, as even if smeargle is at full health leftovers recovery + smeargle's 12 HP is less than 40 for anything other than Chansey, Blissey and wobbuffet, and will kill those three if Smeargle did its endeavor at 1 health.

If you can do the attacks in the order of trick room, spore, endeavor, and dragon rage, the two most common ideal possibilities are:

1 - you KO'd the opponents lead with one turn of trick room left, enabling you to spore the switch-in, trick room again, and at least get one endeavor in if not also another dragon rage, and if you are really lucky, spore and endeavor a third pokemon

or 2 - After the opponent's lead is asleep, he switches into an endeavor and is KO'd by trick roomed dragon rage next turn, and you have one turn of trick room left to bring the opponent's next pokemon down to 1 hp.

While this set seems like a complete glass cannon that is easily wrecked, it is guarenteed to do a lot of damage even if this ideal situation does not play out, provided proper prediction. Should an opponent have something to stop smeargle, that pokemon will either be at 1 hp or if it's a ghost, put to sleep if predicted correctly. The only things that 100% counter this are Smeargle and Breloom leads, ironically, as both have a 100% chance of putting feargle to sleep, but generally speaking all sleep leads eliminate this smeargle if they hit. If a lead is know to run taunt, it can be endeavored first turn and then dragon raged due to focus sash protection. Machamp is also a tough pokemon for smeargle because lum berry is common and it runs substitute, but because of own tempo, dynamic punch will not stop an endeavor, and endeavor kills substitutes in one hit.

This set does very poorly against Tyranitar and abomasnow, due to residual damage, and at best will reduce both to 1 hp, while at worst, a bad trick room or more commonly dragon rage will lead to sandstorm taking out smeargle's last hp while doing nothing to Tyranitar. It will also most likely need rapid spin or trick room support if it's switched out and is made useless if it is forced to leave the battle with less than full health or forced to enter with entry hazards, unless trick room is active upon return. However, it is fairly destructive for a glass cannon, as the most common bad scenarios will, with good prediction, leave an opponent with either a sleep condition, 1 hp, or both. This smeargle finds a good place on Trick room teams, but it uses up most its trick room turns, and will often benefit more from a teammate's trick room than provide support for a teammate, as this makes smeargle able to re-enter the battle even without full health. It is common for trick room to run out on this smeargle, and any support that this smeargle provides will be minimal.

Jirachi: Jirachi is especially interesting, as not all Jirachi will use iron head, and Jirachi knows trick. Smeargle will win if it doesn't flinch, and if tricked it is best to be tricked into endeavor so that the Jirachi becomes an easy kill. If you expect iron head, then a lucky spore is ideal, as the probability of a flinch is only 60%. Jirachi's thunderwave is also problematic, as this smeargle can't lose a turn. However, you have an advantage if it goes for paralysis over flinch. You also would not want to switch out lightly; if it uses stealth rock on the switch away smeargle is useless, but if you go for the kill while it uses stealth rock you'll get a KO or force a switch, giving smeargle the advantage. All things considered, Jirachi is the most difficult pokemon to manuever this smeargle around, and the feeling is mutual - in the best case for the opponent, Jirachi has only a 60% chance of victory while you have a 40% chance of activating trick room, putting Jirachi to sleep, and bringing something to 1hp unless he has a ghost. Which are usually fast and fragile, and don't like trick room

This smeargle benefits greatly from teammates with priority moves and ones that can lay entry hazards, as it is common for an opponent to be left with a pokemon at 1 hp which is either swiched out and thus can be easily KO'd by entry hazards, or stays in and thus having priority minimizes any potential risk.

It should be noted that while trick room is helpful, this set does not need to be on a trick room team to be effective.

Naturally, EVs are irrelivant to the performance of this set, and sketch can be taught via move tutor.

Ubers Strategy -
The Uber's metagame is much, much more friendly to feargle leads. As an example, lets look at the top leads in both tiers
In OU, Azelf, Aerodactyl, Swampert, Metagross, Jirachi, Infernape, Machamp, Ninjask, Roserade, and Tyranitar are the top ten leads. Only swampert and ninjask are believed to be friendly to smeargle, with 1 potential hard counter and 2 soft counters in the tier, two taunters at the top, and sandstorm rounding off the bottom.

In Uber, Deoxys-e, Groudon, Darkrai, kyogre, deoxys-f, Mew, Magikarp (lol), forretress, tyranitar, and dialga are the top ten leads. Underlined are the pokemon that smeargle can use to obliterate 2/3's of the opponent's team, as opposed to just the lead like in OU. In other words, half the top 5 will let smeargle bulldoze an opponent's team

It also has much fewer weather problems and much less residual damage to contend with in Uber, which lengthens the durability of it's sash immensely.

After some Ubers testing, it seems to be even more effective in Ubers then OU. It doesn't lose it's sash as easily, kyogre and groudon keep the weather from breaking the sash, and there seems to be less flinching. Unfortunately, I am not very knowledgable on Ubers.

% chance of meeting particular leads in OU (based on most recent server statistics on leads)
Hard stoppers
Ambipom + Weavile + Frosslass = 3.6
+ Infernape = 7.69
Smeargle + Breloom = 3.05
Total before Infernape = 6.65
Total after Infernape = 10.74

Soft stoppers (40% chance of smeargle victory, with exception of Roserade)
Jirachi + Togekiss = 5.02
Gengar + Yanmega + Crobat + Roserade = 6.8
Total 11.82

Hard stops + soft stops
Before Infernape = 18.47
After Infernape = 22.56

Probability of crippling 1 pokemon or more, with good prediction (assumes 40% chance of crippling soft counters):
82.17% or greater, depending on whether Infernape runs fake out

Weather limiters - pokemon that demand a first turn endeavor
Tyranitar + Abomasnow + Hippowdon = 6.61

Obvious taunts, More than 2% usage:
Azelf + Aereodactyl + Gliscor = 16.08

Endeavor often preferable to spore/trick room, frequent lum berry holders
Metagross + Machamp = 8.79

Notable opportunities - Pokemon that appear in more than .3% of teams as leads and often, not always, find themselves unable to stop an ideal smeargle setup.
Enable more than 1 KO and lack priority moves:
Swampert + Ninjask + Heatran + Bronzong + Skarmory + Celebi + Forretress + Starmie + Electrode + Jolteon + Salamence + Zapdos +Gallade + Umbreon + Typhlosion = 23.86

Enable more than 1 KO but have priority moves:
Dragonite + Mamoswine + Lucario + Scizor + Donphan = 4.56

Total = 28.42

Percentage of leads accounted for: 82.46

EDIT: I added Extreme speed as an alternate move because after brainstorming, I realized it is necesary to use extreme speed to come out on top against lum berry/chesto berry. On the other hand, it does not fair very well against leftovers/ taunting suicide leads. I'll have to play test to be sure. Likewise, protect is needed for fake-out leads, but limits it's ability to affect multiple opponent pokemon in the same way trick room can. Generally speaking, trick room and dragon rage are what separates this smeargle from other FEAR pokemon, so while having a FEAR with spore is alright, it probably won't be as dangerous/powerful as the dragon rage/trick room combo that gives it the ability to sweep. Extreme Speed/Trick room is notable for anti-lum, and should outspeed any priority user with trick room in play, but is walled by leftovers and depends on smeargle being attacked at least once which won't stop suicide taunters from setting up. Protect is unnecessary and not very useful in Ubers.

The only problem I see with this set is its ability not to damage taunt leads, who prevent smeargle from doing anything but dragon raging. Most common leads outside of swampert run taunt, and unless your opponent doesnt notice you are level 1 and thinks you run a standard smeargle, you are going to be taunted and not be able to do a thing.

edit: didn't endeavor was an attacking move. in that case I think it may work.

@ coolking49 - Actually, this smeargle simply endeavors taunt leads. Since endeavor is a damaging attack, it isn't stopped by taunt. This is then followed up by dragon rage, most likely leaving smeargle at 1 hp against a KO'd lead. But that isn't common knowledge, so I'll edit the set to mention that.

EDIT: I'd be flattered if you wanted to try it out for yourself. I've been using this lead for months myself, and I found it's pretty useful on just about any team.

This is... actually a kinda cool idea. I'll test it.

Edit: Things to note off the top of my head:

-Loses to Sleep leads (Smeargle and Roserade) so use a sleep absorbing Pokemon. I can see this set being pretty lame to face, though, unless you're using a complete suicide lead. Again, will tes.

Right, I forgot about some of those sleepers. Ironic that it's biggest enemy is other smeargle. I'll edit the description to include all sleep leads.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well at least we got the format down now.

...Actually, there is one situation where I can see this lose. If the Suicide Lead (i.e. Aerodactyl, Azelf) go for Taunt, they stop your movements. This leaves Endeavor and Dragon Rage. I guess it does have that cool capability of making a painful choice between Stealth Rock or stopping Smeargle. Then again, I can see someone just switching Rotom-A in after the Suicide lead is dead. So long as it forces Smeargle to switch out, the set lost overall.

I think this isn't terrible though. It's probably the best FEAR set of them all. Then again, I'm in the opinion that FEAR is gimmicky as well.

Well at least we got the format down now.

...Actually, there is one situation where I can see this lose. If the Suicide Lead (i.e. Aerodactyl, Azelf) go for Taunt, they stop your movements. This leaves Endeavor and Dragon Rage. I guess it does have that cool capability of making a painful choice between Stealth Rock or stopping Smeargle. Then again, I can see someone just switching Rotom-A in after the Suicide lead is dead. So long as it forces Smeargle to switch out, the set lost overall.

I think this isn't terrible though. It's probably the best FEAR set of them all. Then again, I'm in the opinion that FEAR is gimmicky as well.
I guess if the primary goal is to throw your lead away, then it works. Smeargle's primary goal is to at it's worst performance, put the opponent's lead into a situation where it ceases to be a threat, while at it's best taking multiple pokemon out of commission. But since we both intended to toss our leads in that particular situation if the situation called for it, we both think we came out ahead.

If smeargle has a trick room partner that can blow itself up, such as bronzong, then switching out from rotom-A is also a perfectly viable strategy as rotom A will not stop the second attendance. And if aerodactyl chooses stealth rocks which get spun, (I know the spin would have to somehow get past rotom-A first), it could come back. However, in all other situations, you are absolutely correct, and seeing as I myself use neither spinners nor trick room partners, you would have me beat. I wouldn't even realize you were ahead of me though, because I would think that smeargle did it's job by taking out your aerodactyl, and I would still have my smeargle around for when I needed to waste a turn against life orb Close Combat/see a switch in after explosion KO's us both.

Still, it makes me realize I shouldn't have been as confident as I was when the exact sitaution you descibed happened to me. I guess that's why they're called suicide leads.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry for messing up the submission order. I'm not particularly familiar with this forum, and received some bad information about how to submit this set.

EDIT: added lots of new data.

Very nice set. Seems like it could be very annoying if your opponent misplays against it. Small note: Machamp is a Hard stop, as you only have a 50% chance of Endeavoring it and it'll kill Smeargle and scout your next pokemon.

I could see this being more viable in Ubers just because it is a real pain for the ubiquitous Deoxys-S leads, forcing them to decide between hazards and breaking your sash.

Edit: Should have remembered Smeargle's ability was good for something.

Very nice set. Seems like it could be very annoying if your opponent misplays against it. Small note: Machamp is a Hard stop, as you only have a 50% chance of Endeavoring it and it'll kill Smeargle and scout your next pokemon.

I could see this being more viable in Ubers just because it is a real pain for the ubiquitous Deoxys-S leads, forcing them to decide between hazards and breaking your sash.
If you're talking about Dynamic punch, smeargle's ability own tempo stops the confusion cold, making that percent 100 if Machamp tries to confuse it.

OU, Ubers' TBH I like the set no matter which tier it works best in. I have done some Uber testing though, and an influx of Tyranitar leads the night I used it really limitted this smeargle. However, it worked really well against some of the teams that lacked Tyranitar, even managing to incapacitate/KO 4 pokemon in one case. And the tests showed that two things common in Ubers help this guy out a lot -
1. An influx of trick room Palkia give smeargle an incredibly needed turn of priority - I suspect that was testing though
2. If wobbuffet can encore a non-damaging move, The smeargle will have the turn to set up trick room without help.

I'm going to test pairing it with trick room dialga tonight I think.

EDIT: this thing is useful in Ubers. Very, very useful and interesting. Although I'm not going to put up the Uber leads because the number 7 lead in Uber is magikarp, effectively making the data worthless.

You could maybe use a priority move in place of Dragon Rage, because if you can't trick room you can still hit them back after you endeavor when they break your sash.

You could maybe use a priority move in place of Dragon Rage, because if you can't trick room you can still hit them back after you endeavor when they break your sash.
I'll put it as an alternate move slot, as it also lets smeargle take out a priority move user at 1 hp with trick room in play.

However, the reason for dragon rage is that it takes out any pokemon even holding leftovers after a full health endeavor by smeargle other than chansey and Blissey, and from a 1 hp endeavor will even take those two out. Extreme speed cannot get the KO if endeavor was from max health or if leftovers is in play, which severely limits the bonus appeal of this set - Endeavor smeargle can take out half a team under the right circumstances, but this goal is aided if it takes as long as possible for smeargle to lose it's sash. In addition, it could render trick room as a nuisance, as the endeavor could and often will be from before you are hit down to 1 hp during trick room, and thus the priority move will not KO.

If you use Extreme Speed instead of dragon rage, you lose several chances to cripple the opponent, and several KOs against walls with leftovers.

HOWEVER, this does not mean that that is unviable. Trick room could prove disadvantageous on that set, which means it could be replaced with another move, and change one of smeargle's psuedo-functions entirely. If you have any suggestions and can back them up, I think having different feargles with different approaches/playstyles would be fascinating, and increase the viability of this set by making it less predictable.

Protect
Spore
Endeavor
Extreme Speed

The key difference here is fake out. The previous smeargle could be lost to fake out flinch, while this one can protect itself, spore the first pokemon, endeavor any switch in, and use quick attack to finish the second. It is much more straightforward than the previous set, but is also somewhat less threatening, as without trick room, smeargle will only have one chance of launching endeavor. Naturally, this moveset is untested, as I only just came up with it to find a way to add a priority move to an endeavor smeargle. It also will probably have all the same weaknesses as the previous smeargle - it's priority moves are not outrunning other priority move users. If I were to incorperate trick room instead of protect, then it would be after the spore, under the assumption that the spore turn brought me to 1 hp.

If I have 1 hp and the opponent doesn't have leftovers, a priority move off of trick room will should always beat their priority moves.

...This is my first time posting a set here. Should I take the suggested move, and test it in a battle? Or do posters come with move suggestions they found useful, and I add them to the set?

EDIT:

After multiple battles in Ubers, I believe that I am unsuited to test this feargle in Ubers. For one, I have no experience, and two, I can only explain the regular pulling off of the rediculous sweeps this thing is giving me as luck. I may have praised it in OU for at a minimum crippling the opponent, but in Ubers feargle no longer resembles a gimmick but the most dangerous lead I have encountered in the tier. Is there anyone impartial and more experienced in Ubers that can give it a go? And should I post battles?

EDIT2:

I found out there are 2 endeavor smeargle on the TeamUber pokedex.

http://teamuber.net/dex/smeargle

In fact, they actually advise using an Endeavor entry hazard lead, as opposed to our spiker lead. It's an interesting consideration, as that prevents their lead from being tauntable like ours is, and gives it damage options.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I like the idea, I could have sworn there was an analysis on this already but thats besides the point. I like how you have edited protect and espeed, those were two things I would going to advise. Anyways looks good, I approve.

Me and a friend of mine(druggedfox) used this set very exclusively in ubers(and occasionally brought it down to OU with proper support). It's also in one of my older warstories, as well. Sure that was like many years ago when ubers didn't have SR used as often, but just maaaaaaybe?

Me and a friend of mine(druggedfox) used this set very exclusively in ubers(and occasionally brought it down to OU with proper support). It's also in one of my older warstories, as well. Sure that was like many years ago when ubers didn't have SR used as often, but just maaaaaaybe?
When I call it the most dangerous lead in Ubers, I mean it. OU leads are built differently, and Ubers tends to be very vulnerable to things like spore and trick room. You shouldn't have any problems wrecking some stuff in ubers.

Unfortunately, I found out first hand that dragon rage off of full health endeavor against wobbuffet with leftovers will not KO, but like Blissey, dragon rage off of 1 health endeavor is a KO. also, two dragon rages against leftovers wobbuffet seems to do it from full health.

So, I know that if I neglect to update the set with relevant information provided by the quality control team for more than 2 weeks, the set is removed. but as this is my first set in quality control, I'm not sure what to do with the set in the current situation; fully updated, one seal of approval, hasn't received any comments/updates in half a week. Anything I should know?

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well since I am testing a bunch of Trick Room stuff in Ubers, I will give this a test. If we do approve it though, the Ubers peer edit and the OU peer edit must be different threads.

Well since I am testing a bunch of Trick Room stuff in Ubers, I will give this a test. If we do approve it though, the Ubers peer edit and the OU peer edit must be different threads.
Thanks!

I don't mind needing to update two peer edit threads. The analysis would be too long if they weren't seperated.

Also, I love that trick room dialga you're working on. It's a great safety net for when I mispredict, and makes a great revenge killer when trick room remains in play, as it takes out priority users like Scizor with fire blast and Rayquaza with draco meteor easily, while resisting their priority moves.

This set is brilliant.

Although, as you have said the uber metagame is friendly for this Smeargle, due to the prevalence of leads that have fake-out or sleep. All of this has been said, but I would like to stress how much more this is suited to the uber environment.

I'll give this set a run sometime.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Wow, this set was way better than I expected it to be. I tested it out, and found that when teams dont have a ghost type, this Smeargle was often taking down 1-2 Pokemon per match.

As strange as it sounds, I actualy used this with Tyranitar. while Tyranitar does break your Focus Sash, it does have one rather handy use: it can Pursuit Giratina-O to death, who is a HUGE problem for this set after sleep clause. Again the sand sucks, but it should probably be mentioned regardless since not many Pursuiters can switch into Giratina-O as easily as Tyranitar. Also, for the Ubers set, Protect probably isn't needed.

Also you should probably change the names of the sets to Level 1 Endeavor, since many people don't know what "FEAR" is. Make sure that in the ivs, you give it 0 HP and 0 Speed as well.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
While I didn't personally test this myself, I watched Theorymon pull off the tactic successfully, often crippling one Pokemon and severely denting another (which, as a matter of fact, is usually the worst case scenario!). Stick to Trick Room / Endeavor / Dragon Rage / Spore btw. Protect is nearly useless with no Fake Out users (only useful in scouting Scarf Darkrai's Dark Void, and really, you don't know if it's scarfed or not lol). Trick Room on the other hand is funny because Smeargle can effectively cripple two Pokemon AND provide support for the team.

Another great thing is that with Trick Room active, Smeargle does not have to restrict its role as a lead! With unmatchable Speed and super crippling techniques, it can cause some wreck later on in the game (even with its Sash broken via Stealth Rock). I advised Tyranitar to Theorymon to help take advantage of this (along with setting up hazards and removing Ghosts) - Sandstream can kill off some Pokemon after they take Endeavor damage, which can be useful to save Trick Room turns as well as possibly avoiding the problem below:

One thing I did notice was that this set encounters a bit of problems with non Shadow Sneak priority. I've seen opponents let their slept Pokemon take the Endeavor, switch to Scizor on the pitifully weak Dragon Rage, and Bullet Punch Smeargle to death.

But going back to my previous statement, it is clear what my decision on this set is:

So, uh... where does this go?
lol, good question. I don't have a problem with putting it in either tier (once it gets its third Ubers approval). In fact, it doesn't really matter, because after this phase it's mostly grammar work anyways.

Edit: So we decided there should be two writeups for this - one for OU and one for Ubers. I'm moving this topic to OU, but can you please make another topic specifically for use in Ubers and post in the Ubers subforum?

I absolutely hate double posting, but it just occurred to me that Swampert can beat this lead by Roaring it out, since Trick Room always goes last, then set up SR breaking its sash unless it immediately switches back in. It can be played around especially if the opponent is stupid, but it definitely isn't a "Notable opportunities" Pokemon. Skarmory is exactly the same

Edit: This set analysis is actually pretty underdeveloped in my opinion. You don't really mention any specific teammates that work well with it (Magnezone and Tyranitar clean house, Ttar for the reasons Jibaku said, Magnezone because Scizor, the number 1 priority user most players will go to, is basically forced to use Bullet Punch or die which lets Magnezone sets up all sorts of shenanigans) and some of the leads aren't well researched. Passing mention of Ninjask, but nothing about how merely leading with this has the potential to destroy everything resembling a Baton Pass team as long as it doesn't lead with Smeargle, but even then you can play around it since entry hazards aren't likely. You don't mention how a very prepared Ninjask can usually stall out Trick Room by just subbing as you break the subs with endeavor, then pass to something with a lum berry and priority like metagross. All in all, you don't show that you've used this set in OU to it's fullest potential, or even against the same person twice in a row.
I don't blame you for any of this, lvl 1 Smeargle is a ridiculous set completely account for and I pity the person that has to do a full analysis. It's just that I don't think this a complete analysis. My vote doesn't matter though what the hell do I know you got 5 stamps already

My SET O_O

My friend came up with this same set on his own months ago
Hey Smogon, I am that friend... my irl friend foxy eisenhower didn't refer to me because I also do not have a smogon forum account. Just like my friend Foxy Eisenhower, this is my first time posting on the forums. My friend and I are posting for the first time, because we in fact invented this set and used it, a couple of months ago and are kinda setting it straight... Now i do not know how credit goes in Smogon or anything, but I guess I do have proof that I in fact used it earlier a long long time ago (the original file for the team i used this set on has the creation date on it which is January 16th 2010 in case you're wondering) ( i can e-mail the file to anyone who wants proof)... I'm sorry for sounding like a QQ monster... but this was one of my favorite creations and I feel credit should be given where it is deserving.

Now onto the set....
in my set... smeargle's speed was never the lowest... because then it would have been slower than other lvl 1 pokes and it was essential that the user slept the opposing level 1 poke before the other pokemon could react... also, blissey is a good counter to this set, because leftovers heals more health than dragon rage or a lvl 1 extreme speed so smeargle could not kill blissey after an endeavor and blissey could do and can softboil the damage off... another thing that I found effective against this set was u-turning into a priority user, as smeargle would most likely use trick room first... at least that's was what I did... then smeargle would only trickroom and then fall victim to the priority after being hit by u-turn.

The team that I used it with was
Smeargle-lvl 1 endeavor
Bronzong- trick room
Abomasnow-sub seed
Tyranitar- BOAH
Clefable- lvl 1 sweeper (endeavor)
Magnezone (scarfed)
Although it has a huge infernape weakness I usually worked around it...
the idea of the team was to eliminate my opponents pokemon one by one without them being able to do anything about it

basic team idea:
Lvl 1 smeargle wrecks havoc = - 1-3 pokes
Usually scizor came in and ruined my fun but I brought in magnezone for revenge (cuzz every1 used scizor)= -1 poke
Magnezone had explosion also so it could usually come back in and explode for a kill (-1 poke)
Bronzong had explosion and hypnosis so it could kill one poke and cripple another (-2 pokes)
Abomasnow brought hail and blizzard and can maybe kill something
Hail with trickroom set up for clefable sweep (1-2 pokes but its usually 2)
and then tyranitar for ghosts (it's tyraniboah..... soooo 1-2 pokes)

Although this smeargle set has not definite team i feel that a "knockout" style team such as this is the best for it...

Sooooo if anyone remembers me using this set before against you please reply because the author of this thread is most definitely not the first to come up with this idea... But i do have to note that the author has done a good job at explaining this set and deserves credit for that... but only that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)