Research Week - Mew

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, now we're kicking off our first research week - Mew.

Introduction thread

What we're trying to do here is research new and effective sets for Mew. Therefore, we would ask that you try and not just spam Baton Pass Mew, because we know that its very effective already. Likewise, lead Mew is already very well explored. This isn't to say that you are not allowed to use them, but please, do not post here that you discovered Baton Pass Mew or a "new, great Lead Mew". We already know these work very effectively. We're looking for ingenuity here (be like Theorymon!).

This thread will stay open for 2 weeks. During this time you are free to do as much testing and discussion as you want (testing on the SU Ubers ladder, so keep in mind many of the people you are playing may not be part of this, as well as people will be part of this). However, the second week will become more discussion-oriented. Hopefully, we will have a few sets to add to the onsite Pokédex page!

Mew Discussion thread

Above is the link to the discussion thread. For now, all discussion, including successful and failed sets, discussing of Mew's new enlarged impact on the metagame, and other things, is very welcome and encouraged here. However, discussion for Mew should be posted in the discussion thread if you have things to add after Mew's research week is over. The discussion thread can also serve as a nice introduction or resource to those new to Mew (I have a lot of sets listed there other than BP and lead).

Thank you, and discuss away!

Note: This thread will be heavily moderated. Do not use this as pc++ or test gimmick sets simply for the sake of testing. Obviously all sets will be newish, so the status of "gimmick" is subjective; we're hoping you all will not cross that line, but the decision of the moderators will be final in any case.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I got lots of stuff to test for Mew, but for now I am just going to share 1 set I am testing and 3 ideas I have.

Swords Dance
Swords Dance
Low Kick / Earthquake
Sucker Punch
Baton Pass
nature: Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
item: Life Orb

I tested this a bit in the morning and a bit 20 minutes ago, and it did seem to work, though it obviously needs a lot more testing. The idea here is that Mew is the only Swords Dance sweeper that can actually Baton Pass (Celebi sort of can too but Seed Bomb is it's only worthy physical move, bleh). after a Swords Dance, Low Kick actually OHKOs Dialga, minimum HP Kyogre and Palkia after Stealth Rock damage, while Dialga obviously goes down. Maximum HP Kyogre aso dies after Steath Rock and Spikes damage. Another cool thing is that Scizor takes over 60% from Low Kick after a Swords Dance.

Sucker Punch's main purpose in my testing was for Giratina-O, who is actually KOed by a boosted Sucker Punch around 87% of the time after taking Stealth Rock damage (this pretty much means that anything else thats weak to Sucker Punch will die after a boost). It was also pretty useful to have priority laying around. The main issue though was that with Sucker Punch and Low Kick, people were able to play mind games with stuff like Taunt Mewtwo and Latias. I might consider Earthquake for Mewtwo, but Latias may still be a pain in the ass unless I just baton pass away. Also, Earthquake loses the awesome KOs Mew can get on Palkia and Kyogre. Giratina-O has been an especially good reciver, since a lot of people try to wall this with Groudon or U-turn me with Scizor (though I would HATE to face a roar Groudon with this Mew). No matter what I use though, SD Mew has been pretty weak to Darkrai. I will certainly test this more, it has potential so far in my testing.

The other 3 ideas I have in my head at the moment are testing Block Pass Mew sets, an offensive Nasty Plot set with Baton Pass, and testing Super Fang Mew sets.

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
The other 3 ideas I have in my head at the moment are testing Block Pass Mew sets, an offensive Nasty Plot set with Baton Pass, and testing Super Fang Mew sets.
You suck (NOT). -.- I thought of testing some BlockPass and Superfang sets too, because they seem to set Mew apart from the other Ubers (TormentStall is better done by Heatran or Mewtwo).

Seems like i have to watch out for another good idea (maybe GravityZapCannonMew or Teamsupport with Healbell, Safeguard).

How about a SuperFang+Brine Mew set? and maybe combine that with a Nastyplot set. Heck, we could even throw Baton Pass in there!

I've been trying Flame Orb+Protect to synchronize the foe a burn. It's like a 100 accuracy Will-o-Wisp! I've been using it with a Nasty Plot set and it has been working well! It cripples Giratina, Groundon, and Rayquaza on the switch and then I Nasty Plot because they'll most likely switch (fearing Ice Beam/Blizzard).

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think a Nasty Plot set emphasising on bulk could work:

Mew @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/80 SpA/176 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Nasty Plot
-Ice Beam
-Aura Sphere
-Softboiled

This set takes full advantage of Mew's perks over Mewtwo and Darkrai: Bulk and Nasty Plot. Mewtwo doesn't get Nasty Plot, and Mew also has more staying power than both. Nasty Plot up, kill anything that you can kill, recover off the damage if you need to. Leftovers is preferred for maximum durability, but Lum Berry stops Darkrais sleeping you.

So I've been testing the SD Mew a bit, and I have to say, it is surprisingly good. I've been using Rayquaza as a receiver when necessary and it's been pretty cool, allowing to set up on other SD Mews that I've been seeing thanks to T Mon. Paired up with Wobb, it can set up easily. I think it needs a bit more testing but I agree it is extremely effective.

mew can make a team support set really easily, with heal bell, SR, roost (or another recovery), and a status/super fang. Its like a physically defensive blissey, except with Super fang. I'll test it out soon.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have been testing a Mixed Attacker set for Mew:

Mew @ Life Orb
-Superpower
-Ice Beam
-Thunder
-Fire Blast
EVs: 192 Atk, 252 SpA, 66 Speed
Mild Nature

This set works best as a stall breaker and a lure for common switch-ins to Mew, such as Scizor, TTar, and Metagross. Its main advantage over Mewtwo is that it can OHKO Blissey with Superpower without having to sacrifice itself or set up extensively, unlike Mewtwo. This set can actually do quite a number on stall teams; here are some damage calcs against common defensive walls in Ubers:

EV Spread 192 Atk/252 Sp. Atk/60 Speed
Item Life Orb
Nature Mild

192 Mild Mew Superpower

vs. 4/252 Calm Blissey : 81.6% - 96.3% (OHKO after SR + Spikes or switching into an attack)
vs. 252/0 Modest Heatran : 66.8% - 78.8% (2HKO)
vs. 252/0 Adamant Tyranitar : 122.8% - 144.6% (OHKO)
vs. 252/0 Modest Dialga : 56.9% - 67.3% (2HKO after SR + Spikes, Min HP Dialga is always 2HKOed)

252 Mild Mew Fire Blast (assumes Sunlight)

vs. 252/252 Careful Forretress : 257.6% - 304% (LOL)
vs. 176/232 Adamant Scizor : 267.1% - 315.1% (LOL)
vs. 252/0 Adamant Metagross : 140.1% - 164.8% (OHKO even in neutral weather)
vs. 252/252 Sassy Bronzong : 89.3% - 105.3% (High chance of a OHKO after SR, 2HKO in neutral weather)
vs. 252/252 Impish Skarmory : 137.7% - 162.3% (OHKO)
vs. 252/60 Adamant Groudon : 58.9% - 69.3% (2HKO)
vs. 252/216 Careful Jirachi : 84.7% - 100% (OHKO after SR + Spikes)

252 Mild Mew Thunder

vs. 240/0 Modest Kyogre : 57.9% - 68.3% (2HKO)

vs. 252/0 Timid Lugia : 51.4% - 61.1% (2HKO, Lugia can't touch you outside of Toxic)

vs. 252/252 Careful Forretress : 43.2% - 50.8%(Just in case its raining, 2HKOes after SR.)

vs. 80/0 Timid Manaphy : 86.4% - 101.9% (OHKO after SR)

vs. 224/0 Adamant Ho-oh : 52.3% - 62.1% (OHKO after SR)

vs. Hasty Palkia : 41.4% - 48.9% (2HKO after SR + Spikes, but Palkia is a pretty good switch-in to this Mew)

252 Mild Mew Ice Beam

vs. Naive Giratina-O : 62.1% - 73.5% (2HKO, but you need to catch it on the switch to win)

vs. 248/12 Bold Giratina : 41.4% - 48.9% (2HKO after SR + Spikes)

vs. 112/0 Timid Latias : 40.1% - 47.4% (You can't win here because Latias is faster.)

vs. 4/0 Timid Latios : 51% - 60.3% (2HKO, but Latios is faster)

This Mew is really good with Paralysis support from the likes of Groudon, Kyogre, and Jirachi, as it can let Mew KO many would be revenge killers such as Darkrai and Shaymin-S. If you're planning to use it against stall, bring it out before Toxic Spikes are set up.

Any thoughts? So far testing has given positive results.

Currently testing:
Mew@Leftovers
Jolly
252HP/82SpDef/176Spe(EVs and nature subject to change)
Status Move
Heal Bell
Softboiled
U-Turn

Plays similar to Dual Status but helps your team cope with status ailments(I've seen a rise in Jirachi recently). U-Turn helps ease prediction on your part as well as prevents you from being total Taunt fodder. Currently EVd to out speed +Nature Base 90s then everything else into bulk.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Theoretical set: haven't tested lol

Mew @ Leftovers *** Nibbler
EVs: 214 HP/ 60 Spd / 236 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Will-o-wisp
- Super Fang
- Softboiled / Roost

Seem familiar? Yeah, this is similar to Mewtwo's Taunt / Will-o-Wisp set, except much slower. So that makes it automatically inferior, right? WRONG (unless tests prove otherwise). The key move here is Super Fang - the namesake of the set. With a decent amount of bulk Mew should be able to come in quite a bit (it takes a maximum of 55.6% from Scarf Dialga's Draco Meteor, just to give you an idea of its bulk). Mew can spam Super Fangs to start putting a decent amount of dent at whoever switches in. Giratina-O, although immune to Super Fang, can't really hurt it and falls flat to Taunt/Will-o-Wisp (beware of Shadow Ball / faster Sub).

This Mew isn't exactly meant to outstall a team (being slower than Lugia means it's hard for this Mew to kill it, although Taunt does hinder it), but just to leave all sorts of dents everywhere. Common anti Mew such as Scizor, Specsogre, and MixQuaza all hate this Mew. In a one on one match, Mew has a great chance of surviving Fire Blast + Draco Meteor. Alternatively, Mew can outstall Rayquaza by simply healing. Specsogre doesn't like Super Fang and Scizor gets burned. Mew can also beat fast Mix Dialga by spamming Roost while Life Orb takes a toll on Dialga (along with Fire miss and perhaps even outrage confusion).

This set doesn't like fast Calm Mind Giratina-O or SubSeed Shaymin-S. Giratina-O is immune to Super Fang and can Shadow Ball Mew to death (or wait till Taunt runs out, Calm Mind, then Dragon Pulse). Shaymin-S can just Air Slash behind the Sub, lol. Other Substitutes can often be Taunted on and then broken by Super Fang (watch their health though). For instance, if Garchomp uses Sub on this Mew, Mew can Taunt it on that turn, then break the Sub with Super Fang, and proceed to burn Garchomp (beware of accuracy).

A faster spread of 116 HP / 216 Spd / 176 SDef, Timid, can be used. Mew outruns up to Mixquaza and still beats it most of the time as Draco Meteor + ExtremeSpeed will most likely fail to KO Mew (assuming Ray gets burned). This also means Giratina-O can't outrun and Sub on you. You can also use the Speed to dent stuff before they kill you. However, you lose a lot of bulk, so beware.

Theoretical set #2
Mew @ Leftovers *** Nibblers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Super Fang
- Softboiled / Roost

"physically defensive" Mew, I guess. Beats up Ray/Mence/Garchomp and can cause some dents via Super Fang. Taunt shuts down healing (hi, BU Dialga). Don't worry about Mix Giratina-O - Shadow Sneak maxes at 31.7%.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jibaku I have been testing your set for around an hour. So far, its done pretty well. Super Fang is annoying as hell for a lot of opponents. I'll be sure to spend more time this week testing other sets around Super Fang. Also something to note, this set likes Toxic Spikes quite a bit.

I've been using this set:
Mew @ life orb
40 atk/252 SpA/216 speed Naive (+speed, -SpD)
-Nasty plot
-Aura sphere
-Explosion
-Ice beam

This mew can take out Blissey rather easily due to explosion, and packs a considerable punch against anything, non-resistant or immune. The speed outspeeds Jolly rayquaza. The attack moves are used for type coverage. However, this mew has mainly been exploding, rather than sweeping.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have been testing a Mixed Attacker set for Mew:

Mew @ Life Orb
-Superpower
-Ice Beam
-Thunder
-Fire Blast
EVs: 192 Atk, 252 SpA, 66 Speed
Mild Nature

This set works best as a stall breaker and a lure for common switch-ins to Mew, such as Scizor, TTar, and Metagross. Its main advantage over Mewtwo is that it can OHKO Blissey with Superpower without having to sacrifice itself or set up extensively, unlike Mewtwo. This set can actually do quite a number on stall teams; here are some damage calcs against common defensive walls in Ubers:

EV Spread 192 Atk/252 Sp. Atk/60 Speed
Item Life Orb
Nature Mild

192 Mild Mew Superpower

vs. 4/252 Calm Blissey : 81.6% - 96.3% (OHKO after SR + Spikes or switching into an attack)
vs. 252/0 Modest Heatran : 66.8% - 78.8% (2HKO)
vs. 252/0 Adamant Tyranitar : 122.8% - 144.6% (OHKO)
vs. 252/0 Modest Dialga : 56.9% - 67.3% (2HKO after SR + Spikes, Min HP Dialga is always 2HKOed)

252 Mild Mew Fire Blast (assumes Sunlight)

vs. 252/252 Careful Forretress : 257.6% - 304% (LOL)
vs. 176/232 Adamant Scizor : 267.1% - 315.1% (LOL)
vs. 252/0 Adamant Metagross : 140.1% - 164.8% (OHKO even in neutral weather)
vs. 252/252 Sassy Bronzong : 89.3% - 105.3% (High chance of a OHKO after SR, 2HKO in neutral weather)
vs. 252/252 Impish Skarmory : 137.7% - 162.3% (OHKO)
vs. 252/60 Adamant Groudon : 58.9% - 69.3% (2HKO)
vs. 252/216 Careful Jirachi : 84.7% - 100% (OHKO after SR + Spikes)

252 Mild Mew Thunder

vs. 240/0 Modest Kyogre : 57.9% - 68.3% (2HKO)

vs. 252/0 Timid Lugia : 51.4% - 61.1% (2HKO, Lugia can't touch you outside of Toxic)

vs. 252/252 Careful Forretress : 43.2% - 50.8%(Just in case its raining, 2HKOes after SR.)

vs. 80/0 Timid Manaphy : 86.4% - 101.9% (OHKO after SR)

vs. 224/0 Adamant Ho-oh : 52.3% - 62.1% (OHKO after SR)

vs. Hasty Palkia : 41.4% - 48.9% (2HKO after SR + Spikes, but Palkia is a pretty good switch-in to this Mew)

252 Mild Mew Ice Beam

vs. Naive Giratina-O : 62.1% - 73.5% (2HKO, but you need to catch it on the switch to win)

vs. 248/12 Bold Giratina : 41.4% - 48.9% (2HKO after SR + Spikes)

vs. 112/0 Timid Latias : 40.1% - 47.4% (You can't win here because Latias is faster.)

vs. 4/0 Timid Latios : 51% - 60.3% (2HKO, but Latios is faster)

This Mew is really good with Paralysis support from the likes of Groudon, Kyogre, and Jirachi, as it can let Mew KO many would be revenge killers such as Darkrai and Shaymin-S. If you're planning to use it against stall, bring it out before Toxic Spikes are set up.

Any thoughts? So far testing has given positive results.
Explosion should definitely be an option on that set, since it's probably THE best wall breaking move ever.

I've tested and worked this set by theorymon:

Mew@Life orb
252Atk/252HP/4spe
Adamant
-Fake out
-Payback
-SR
-Explosion

It works well OHKOing 252HP deo with fake out + payback.

Explosion should definitely be an option on that set, since it's probably THE best wall breaking move ever.
If you use Explosion, so just go to Mewtwo. Its main advantage over Mewtwo is that it can OHKO Blissey with Superpower without having to sacrifice itself or set up extensively, unlike Mewtwo.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I plan to test a slight variation on Theorymon's set:

Mew @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Jolly Nature
EVs unknown (need to run some calcs)
-Bulk Up
-Sucker Punch
-Low Kick
-Softboiled

I see this working as a bulkier version of what Theorymon posted. One of the moves, in my opinion, that really sets Mew apart from some of the other Ubers is Softboiled, giving it instant recovery. I'll post back later when I get a chance to test with my findings.

This is my new Mew named UltraBulk
Mew @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
EV's: 252 HP, 124 SpD, 128 Def
Amnesia/Substitute
Iron Defense/Substitute
Softboiled
Toxic

EDIT: I've found out now that Mew can very well use a Charge Beam set

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Now where talking. Arguably the coolest Uber in the history of pokemon gets the first research thread!

Ahem:
I was tinkering around with the TrickForm and moved onto to a TrickNP Mew set set that tickles my fancy.

4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
~Trick
~Nasty plot
~Aura Sphere / Dark Pulse
~Ice Beam

You can cripple moves initial switches in with Choice Scarf, and attempt to sweep from there.

It seems a good idea to have voted for Mew now :)
So far, I think (it's my opinion) that the good sets to try are Theorymon's SD Mew, Zetotarken's Cleric set (I swear I was working on something 99% similar) and Jibaku's 2nd set (physical bulky). Good thing Mew learns Roost in 4th Gen cause Softboiled is a 3rd Gen tutor move. I really like where this research is going. Having more sets for Mew will add even more unpredictability and thus more variety to the ladder. I imagine a similar effect if TRU Arceus would be allowed or programmed into Shoddy (100 EVs max)

Mew @ life orb
4 hp/252 atk/252 spe Jolly nature (+ spe, - SpA)
-Explosion
-Swords dance
-Ice punch
-Low kick

This set differs from Theorymon's as he tends to rely on sucker punch a bit too much, while this set focuses on all out offense, with a sacrifice to bring another pokemon, rather than baton pass.

You all know this stalling machine :

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/92 Spd/160 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Light Screen
- Recover
- Taunt
- Will-o-wisp

Mew had a better defense instead of Mewtwo and can use too Light Screen, Softboiled, Taunt & Will-o-wisp. Can he use this set better than Mewtwo even if it has a speed inferior ?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mew had a better defense instead of Mewtwo and can use too Light Screen, Softboiled, Taunt & Will-o-wisp. Can he use this set better than Mewtwo even if it has a speed inferior ?
Mew has approximately 6% higher defenses, and in turn loses out on Speed on many key Pokemon such as Latias, Latios, Garchomp, as well as having no option to outrun Shaymin-S.

sigh, on top of that new dragon legends in 5th gen aren't gonna exactly boost Ubers popularity either. I was hoping for an offensive Psychic/Flying (white one) and a bulky Dark/Fighting (black one). The typings would give them SE STAB moves against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)