Bibarel anti-lead OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to make an OU team that revolved around paraflinch and i was looking for water pokemon that could use thunderwave when i stumbled upon Bibarel, I looked more closely at its moveset and realized it could make an effective anti-lead even in the OU environment.

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated as well as corrections in-case i have made any miscalculations, I took the the top 12 OU leads from the pokemetrics section and just compiled a quick answer to common threats assuming the most common sets.

Bibarel @ Focus Sash/Liechi Berry (if using liechi berry simple is the preferd ability, and opt for protect when using swagger)
Unaware

252 atk/ 176 spe( was originally intended to out-run adamant t-tar but i realized that aqua tail can effectively deal with it so the ev's can easily be reworked)/ 82 hp

-Super Fang
-Aqua Tail
-Swagger
-Taunt/ Thunder Wave/ Protect/ Stealth Rock

Azelf- Super fang first round takes half of azelfs hp while he taunts you or stealth rocks, then use aqua tail for the quick 2 kho before an explosion, without even breaking your sash

Swampert- Swagger swampert first round and hope it hits, if not he gets out a SR no biggie, next turn either protect or superfang depending on if you want to scout his moveset or hope that confusion takes its course, if it does he will more than likely put himself in aqua tail range and you can ko him next round or stealth rock on a switch

Metagross- yet another pokemon bibarel can effectively counter, swagger first turn and let bullet punch break your sash bibarel can only be 3kho’d by any of metagross’ attacks and now metagross has an easy chance of hitting itself in confusion, take this opportunity to either set up a stealth rock/ protect/ or even thunder wave depending on the moveset if worse comes to worse he explodes you got a stealth rock down and a free switch in to your next pokemon

Aerodactyl- Aero will more than likely taunt first round and that is exactly what we want him to do, hit him with a super fang for half hp breaking his sash and then aqua tail to finish him off, he wont even know what him.

Jirachi- Jirachi will use trick first round so the only answer to this really is to stealth rock or swagger jirachi so that either I set up or it has a hard time setting up itself

Infernape- Infernape is easily 2kho’d with aqua tail as long as I predict a stealth rock if not, infernape is left with 1 hp and im out a lead

Roserade- Roserade can outspeed me and put me to sleep with sleep powder however, should it miss I can easily swagger it and switch to an oppropriate counter or set up SR

Tyranitar- 2 kho’d by aqua tail

Ninjask-aqua tail will put ninjask in the range of 74.3 to 87.3 percent hp assuming its the standard swords dance ninjask which although is risky if luck is on your side it will not have enough hp to use its substitute and will KO itself

Heatran- 2 kho’d by aqua tail

Gliscor- 2 kho’d by aqua tail

I hate to say it but all your options are weak at best. Infernape more than likely simply ko with fake out and close combat. Azelf gets rocks up and gets you down to your sash. if they don't just switch. Swagger is a weak option at best and confusion makes people iritated. Also if you are outhaxed you now have a +2 pokemon staring you down. As for aero leads they probably will just toss up rocks. This is a gimmick and doesn't really work. Maybe for nu or something. At least throw stealth rock to the top of the list.

With unaware any attacks done to Bibarel aren't counted as +2 and protect gives you a free turn for them to hit themselves in confusion. Also if even if azelf SR first turn it would get 2kho'd by priority aqua tail before it could hit with psychic or fire blast wouldn't it???

Aqua tail isn't priority aqua jet is...... No wonder everything seemed odd.... So no, your sash would be broken. (bibarel does not learn aqua jet, only quick attack) Please test this or something, but this is ou were there are plenty of better anti leads such as infernape or dragonite or jirachi. Bibarel is a good baton pass receiver at best. Its probably best to test things before you post them (or know someone who uses it as in my heal bell wish bliss)

Assuming your bibarel is jolly, it hits 244 speed.
Leadazelf hits 361. Aerodactyl hits 394. Infernape hits 330. Roserade hits 306. Ninjask obviously outspeed Bibarel. Heatran hits 278. Gliscor has no lead set, but with neutral nature, 76 Spe EVs guarentee it outspeeds this Bibarel. And Jirachi hits 308 when it has no choise scarf (you outspeed after it has tricked)

So?
That means, Azelf Taunts and sets up Stelth Rock or sets up Stealth Rock and explodes in your face.
That means Aerodactyl Taunts and sets up Stealth Rock or sets up Stealth Rock and hurls a random attack in your way.
That means Ape Fake Outs and either KOs you with Close Combat, or sacrifices its sash to set up rocks and KOs you after.
That means Roserade has time to sleep you, and barring misses, can start to set up Toxic Spikes with sash intact.
That means Ninjask subs (and if under 25%, subber doesn´t KO himself, the sub will fail) before you Aqua Tail, so barring misses, you just let it to gather boost. Only thing you can do is Taunt, And 252 Atk X-Scizzor 2HKOs.
That means Heatran either swings two Earth Powers or HP grasses (EP 2HKOs about 50% of time, HP grass 2HKOs) towards you, sets up rocks or explodes (OKHOes, unless you have sash) somewhere instead.
That means Gliscor can EQ two times (2HKOes almost always even with no investment), or just Set up rocks and U-turn out to a counter.
And as you mentioned, Jira beats you anyways.

To sum up: since this set relies on confusion to beat Swampert, only reliable wins come aganist Ttar (which bets you if carrying Brick Break, or maybe even with Low Kick?) and Metagross, who can still try to explode on you, but with protect you´re quite safe.

This set has two problems, that prevent it from being an effective lead:

A: It loses to almost every lead out there! Did you even test it?
B: It has no utility role of its own unless you carry Stealth Rock. That means you have to choose beetween Taunt (prevent Ninjask from passing something silly like +3 or +4 Speed to a teammate), Protect (to have an insurance aganist the 50% chance that after breaking your sash Metagross is able to explode on you, if it chooses to do so) and an utility role.
If you pass the utility role, this set has almost nothing to do. It has no purpose other than to beat other leads (in which it fails, unless Bibarel magically gets 100 more speed points from somewhere) and has nothing to do if your opponet switches after you have used Super Fang.

Then:
A: They switch to a counter. You Aqua Tail. Be happy if it leaves a mark.
B: They switch and you Swagger. Maybe they just switch again, because you have no hazards up yet?
C: They switch and you Super Fang. This one looks nice: you just crippled two of their mons. But. If you happen to throw around a Super Fang and they do not switch, they essentially get a free turn. In a lead vs. lead -matchup that is a bad thing.
D: You Taunt (mostly useless, as the counter propably will be attacking you)/Thunder Wave (Means Ninjask lead costs you a game and you lose to Meta 50% of time)/ Protect (Congratsulations, you just wasted a turn)/Stealth Rock (Also means Ninjask is gg and Meta might Explode on you)

Just posting to say @ the above, the standard 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Jolly Gliscor has Stealth Rock slashed in its moveset (can be a lead) and outruns this. 99% of the leads outrun or beat this set. VERY gimmicky set, to say the least. I don't see how this could be viable or what leads it even beats.

I can't tell if this is a troll or not.

edit: swagger is also a bad idea on any set, if they snap out of confusion in 2 turns or simply dont get confuse hax, you gave them the equivalent of a free Swords Dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)