move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Pursuit
item: Focus Sash / Lum Berry
nature: Naive
evs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Houndoom has the Speed and offensive capabilities to act as an effective anti-lead. Most notably, Houndoom receives wide type coverage with his dual STABs, Fire and Dark. Of course, this set isn't meant to be used exclusively as a lead, and can come back later in the game to cause more havoc. Therefore, Houndoom is a force to be reckoned with in the UU metagame.</p>

<p>The given moveset allows Houndoom to effectively deal with the most common UU leads. Dark Pulse deals with Uxie, Mesprit, Alakazam, and Claydol, while Fire Blast is useful against Spiritomb, Scyther, Nidoking, Pinsir, and Snover. Hidden Power Grass allows Houndoom to win against Cloyster, Omastar, Kabutops, and Rhyperior leads, whereas Sucker Punch gives Houndoom the advantage over other anti-leads as it allows him to beat Focus Sash and priority users. Pursuit can be used instead of Hidden Power Grass to trap lead Pokemon who are switching out expecting a Sucker Punch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Houndoom has a variety of moves he can use, depending on the coverage you need for your team. Counter, when combined with a Hasty nature and a Defense IV of 0, can be used to effectively deal with physical leads. Taunt can stop stat-boosting Pokemon and prevent entry hazards from being set up, but Houndoom is rather frail, and an incorrect prediction can cost him his life. Life Orb can be used if you want that extra bit of power. An alternative EV spread of 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe can be used to gain a bit more Speed at the cost of a less powerful Sucker Punch. Using Early Bird as Houndoom's ability is a possibility as well, making it easier for Houndoom to counter sleep-inducing leads. Lum Berry is an alternative item if one is using Flash Fire as Houndoom's ability, keeping him safe from all kinds of status.</p>

<p>Although Houndoom is frail, he still has his uses later in the game. The given EVs allow him to outspeed base 80 Pokemon like Venusaur so Houndoom can revenge kill them more easily. Toxicroak makes a great teammate for this Houndoom as he will have an easier time against bulky Waters, such as Milotic and Slowking lacking Psychic, who can beat this Houndoom.</p>

How does this not become set up bait after you use Overheat? I can just spam any set up move while you're doing lol damage with Overheat or trying desperately to Sucker Punch. I'd favor a more useful Anti-Lead with Counter, Taunt, Sucker Punch, and Overheat.

I shall slash in Fire Blast and Lum Berry and replace Magic Coat with Dark Pulse.

I don't know about Counter, that's such an unreliable move.

um its decent as an immediate damage lead as are most pokemon with a good attacking stat and three viable attacks...

i would normally like taunt on something like this but with the coverage given by its attacks nothing is really gonna set up hazards on it, while the sash + sucker punch means sweepers aren't too great against it either.

any specific reason you're using rash though? normally i would just run +speed on houndoom for rotom + moltres but in the lead case, beating qwilfish is pretty important too. id be fine with a spread of 32 atk / 252 satk / 224 spe or just old fashioned 4/252/252.

and take out overheat it sucks heysup already covered that -- unless you can show it is needed for something

fire blast / dark pulse / hp grass / sucker punch

I really don't see the point of having houndoom as a lead.

Isn't he supposed to be a surprise pokemon like magneton and dugtrio in which you use him to counter pokemon like celebi and then use prediction to use cause some mega damage?

And why have dark pulse when you have sucker punch?

Wouldn't a move like HP Grass be more beneficial since there's so many stealth rockers you can finish like swampert?

I use Houndoom as a lead constantly, but I can't imagine running it without Taunt. Also note that Ambipom leads give this a problem, with Fake Out threatening to break the sash and Low Kick/Return threatening to finish it off. I don't see this being any more effective than the Lead Houndoom set that's already provided, Hidden Power Grass could provide situational uses during the near end of the battle, but as a Lead wouldn't be hitting much with Milotic taking under 35% from it using any defensive set. The only thing you hit decently on is Rhyperrior, which correct prodiction with Taunt/Counter already covers on the other Leadoom set. Edit: Ah, Omastar/Kabutops. Valid point.

@Precognition: This is for the UU tier, where Celebi and Swampert do not reside.

@precog: This is a lead for UU, definitely not OU.
@Master: HP Grass is specifically for Omastar leads which Stall teams love to use as a lead. Without it, Oma easily gets up hazards and kills Hounddom with Surf if it Taunts. It also helps with Kabutops leads (HP Grass + Sucker Punch KOs it).

Anyway, I think Counter deserves a mention at least in AC for quick damage to physical leads. Oh, and that the Ability should be Early Bird/ Flash Fire, with Early Bird being suggested for Sleep and FF for use later in the game.

I don't want to be rude or anything but I'm bumping this again so hopefully I might get 2 more stamps.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Only one more is required currently, and though reasonable bumping is allowed throughout C&C you would probably better off directly contacting UU QC to get a decision.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Okay, this looks better. Mention Flash Fire as the primary ability (Early Bird's only real merit is against lead Venomoth, and I don't think it really needs a mention).

Before I stamp this, however, I'm curious as how to Pursuit would fare over HP Grass or Sucker Punch. Traps Uxie, Mesprit, Mismagius, and Alakazam, although you're going to have to predict against the latter.

EDIT: Yeah, Pursuit works. Slash it with HP Grass, and I will stamp this.

if your going to habe a sash it might as well to have counter then again all lead houndooms normley are counter then a chansy comes out and your screwd but it seems good all pokemanz have counters and what not

if your going to habe a sash it might as well to have counter then again all lead houndooms normley are counter then a chansy comes out and your screwd but it seems good all pokemanz have counters and what not
(ouch, that sentence hurts my brains >.<)

Sash is just an option on Houndoom as under additional comments other items are listed, so is Counter. But Focus Sash is prefered as Houndoom is very frail. Rindo Berry Omastar leads can easily beat Houndoom without a Focus Sash, so can Kabutops with Focus Sash, etc...

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/houndoom

[SET]
name: Anti-lead
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Pursuit (spaces)
item: Focus Sash/ Lum Berry
nature: Naive
evs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe (order is Atk / SpA / Spe)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Houndoom has the speed and offensive capabilities to act as an effective Anti-lead. The main attraction is the wide type coverage Houndoom gets. Of course this set isn't meant to be used exclusively as a lead pokemon and it can come back later in the game to cause more havoc. This allows Houndoom to definitely be a force to be reckoned with in the UU metagame.</p>

<p>The given moveset allows Houndoom to effectively deal with the most common UU leads. Dark Pulse deals with Uxie, Mesprit, Alakazam and Claydol, while Fire Blast is usefull against Spiritomb, Scyther, Nidoking, Pinsir and Snover. Hidden Power Grass allows Houndoom to win against Cloyster, Omastar, Kabutops and Rhyperior leads. Sucker Punch is move that gives Houndoom the advantage over other Anti-leads as it allows him to beat Focus Sash and priority leads.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Houndoom has a variety of moves it can use to a full extent depending on the coverage you need for your team. Counter can be used to deal with physical leads effectively. Taunt can stop set-up pokemon and the laydown of entry hazards but Houndoom is rather frail and a misprediction can cost him his life. Pursuit can trap lead pokemon that are switching out expecting a Sucker Punch. When you decide to use Counter it is suggested to use a Hasty nature and a Def IV of 0. (Lum berry is an alternative item to be safe from sleep inducing leads and Uxie/ Mesprit with Thunder Wave.) Life Orb can be used too if you want that extra bit of power. The alternative EV spread of 4 Atk / 252 Spe / 252 SAtk, so you gain a bit more Speed at the cost of a lesser powerful Sucker Punch. The Early Bird ability is a possibility too as it will make it easier to counter sleep inducing leads. Lum berry is an alternative item, if one is using Flash Fire as the ability, to be safe from sleep inducing leads and Uxie/ Mesprit with Thunder Wave.</p>

<p>Although Houndoom is frail, it still has use later in the game. The given EV's allows him to outspeed base 80's like Venusaur so you can revenge kill them a bit easier. Toxicroak makes a great teammate for this Houndoom as they form a solid duo. Toxicroak will have an easier time against bulky waters such as Milotic or Psychic-less Slowking who can beat this Houndoom.</p>
Red : remove
Blue: add
Green : can be replaced/removed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)