Tangela (Lead)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tangela

To begin, I would like to say that if this set gets approved that I do not wish to write a full analysis (or any of it) if at all possible. I simply want the set verified. My justification for this set is that this particular set can only be used by three Pokemon, Smeargle, Tangela, and Tangrowth. This set is geared towards UU so Smeargle is out and Tangrowth has to high of an Hp Stat to make use of Endeavor.

Best case scenario: Setup Sunny Day as opponent breaks sash, Sleep opponent, Endeavor + Attack incoming Pokemon, and Endeavor the next. Effectively removing 3 Pokemon with minimal effort.

Here is the set...

[SET]
name: Focus Sash
move 1: SolarBeam
move 2: Endeavor
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Sunny Day
item: Focus Sash
ability: chlorophyll
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def

• This set is focused on setting up early sunshine as well as incapacitate a Pokemon with Sleep Powder.
  • SolarBeam is your main attack coming off a Special Attack stat of 100. Endeavor or Sleep Powder make for a great follow-up move depending on your lead move (as well as the opponent's actions).
  • Other Options include Energyball which is not dependent on sun but you will miss out on a strong STAB.
  • Has great surprise factor~ but doesn't rely on it.
  • Timid should also get a mention since it outspeeds all Base 95 Scarfers (This includes stuff like Moltres, Houndoom, Rotom, Hitmonlee) in the sun while outspeed neutral base 70s before a boost as well.
  • Counters: Taunt, Trick Scarf
  • Teammates: FlashFire Pokemon such as Arcanine or Houndoom will happily consume inevitable Fire attacks thrown at Tangela. Pokemon that abuse the sunny weather in general will enjoy a spot on Tangela's team. This set lures priority-attacks like no other so using teammates that resist said attacks are viable for a team spot.

this set is pretty cool. you can probably drop ivs on tangrowth to achieve the same effect as using tangela (the difference should be pretty small), which makes it a lot more efficient from an analysis pov since tangela doesn't have an analysis so you'd have to write everything and not just this set.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If looking at Tangrowth, worth nothing that Tangela is 10 base speed faster which means you outspeed a few scarfers and +2 Pokemon more.

Are there any writers interested in trying this out and putting together a full analysis if this gets approved?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are there any writers interested in trying this out and putting together a full analysis if this gets approved?
If Overhazard doesn't want to do it, I could probably do a whole analysis, although I do have another set in mind for QC to look at.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If the point of the set is to use Endeavor and Sleep Powder, the only advantage to using Tangrowth is the 10% increase in Special Attack (for Solarbeam). Otherwise Tangela's 438 Speed after Sunny Day is a significant advantage over Tangrowth's 398. 398 is still faster than any Non-Scarfed lead, but 438 lets you outrun all Base 80 natured Scarfers, And all Base 95 Non-natured Scarfers. Timid Tangrowth and Modest Tangela have negligible difference in SpA power.

So on balance the Speed is probably more important, since Endeavor and fast Sleep Powder, not Solarbeam, are the focal points.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So on balance the Speed is probably more important, since Endeavor and fast Sleep Powder, not Solarbeam, are the focal points.
This. I think Timid should also get a mention since it outspeeds all Base 95 Scarfers (This includes stuff like Moltres, Houndoom, Rotom, Hitmonlee) in the sun while outspeed neutral base 70s before a boost as well. Energy Ball should be the primary attack of this set as well, IMO, since it's being geared up to being a lead, and a quick kill on Omastar is always nice (Setting up Sunny Day and potentially leading to an extra layer of hazards should be avoided if possible).

yeah timid tangela is probably the best choice for assorted scarfers. however, I suggested tangrowth (temporarily forgetting that tangela is a little faster somehow) because it is a bit of a pain to write an entire analysis especially if you are just doing it for one set. there is a tangible difference though so I would prefer that this stayed as tangela.

I don't know why you would use energy ball on a set with sunny day... it's not like omastar is going to stay in against you unless it is a niche rindo or sash variant. even if it is, if you run timid, you can just sleep powder it (covering your bases whether it stays in or switches out to a grass resist). solarbeam's extra power is... extra power. even if the point of the set isn't to sweep per se, doing 50% more damage is nothing to scoff at. it also encourages the opponent to kill tangela asap moreso than using energy ball. (don't slash energy ball, just mention in AC.)

finally, the OP needs to respond to the suggestions given by everyone and to update the OP ASAP. there is a two-week inactivity rule in the QC forum but I guess you can have a little extension just this once.

i really like the idea of this set, and want to test it out. if its ok with people i'd write an analysis after testing, if not, thats fine.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The OP is being super-inactive and hasn't responded to QC suggestions, so I cannot approve this yet >_>

I believe that I've edited the OP to the suggested specifications however I feel that Solarbeam should remain as primary special attack since you will be setting up sun a majority of the time. As stated in the OP I'd rather not write a full analysis due to my awful grammar as well as my lack of time to complete such a project.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
At least slash in Energy Ball, not just mention it in the set comments. Add that it can utilize Spin support as well, because Endeavor sets attract Ghost-type Pokemon. With proper Spin support as backup, it can come in later and do more damage or set up Sunny Day again.

Works quite well (though it may just be surprise factor, but I doubt this lead will actually "catch on" to the point that people will expect it).

The trouble is, again, that you need to write a whole analysis. It doesn't need to be lengthy, but it does need to be complete.

whistle edit: if the reason you don't want to write an analysis is because of your grammar... maybe you should consider getting someone else to write the set? moving to analyses forum in any case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)