Glalie (Update)

Since the current analysis is still concerned about Glalie being outclassed by Froslass, I figured I'd give him a Lead set to call his own. Also, I've since been persuaded to write the full revamp of Glalie's sets, so that's been added as well.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/glalie

QC Stamps:
(Heysup)
(FlareBlitz)

GP Stamps:
(bugmaniacbob)
(Fatecrashers)

Updates and Changes:

July 4th: Added Crunch to Optional changes.
July 6th: Removed comparison to Qwilfish.
August 20th: Added information differentiating Glalie from Qwilfish, and a few general comments.
October 10th: Finally found time to finish the full writeup and post it. Removed EVs section due to redundancy.
October 11th: Updated with changes by SOMALIA and Flashrider57. Title changed to add the Revamp, which will be done when I have time.
October 13th: Moved Ice Fang from the main set to Optional Changes. Changes to the revamp listed below.

Initial Changes to Revamp:
  • Put the Spikes Lead set that I've developed (and has already been passed through QC) to the primary set.
  • Removed both Choice sets and placed them in Optional Changes. Both are rather lackluster, and there are better Pokemon for the jobs.
  • Moved both the Bulky Spiker and Hail Stall sets to Optional Changes. Both are not really that good and are badly outclassed.
  • Rewrote the analysis to focus on Spiking, which is Glalie's primary niche in UU.
  • Added Sing to Optional Changes, as per Flashrider57's suggestion.
[Overview]

<p>Glalie has often been shunned as an option since its competitive debut. It's average at both offense and defense, and it has a very limited movepool to boot. The creation of its evolutionary partner Froslass meant that Glalie was forced to reside in the dank, overcrowded recesses of the NU tier. However, with Froslass banished to the Borderline tier for the remainder of the DPP generation, Glalie finally has a comfortable niche in the Underused tier.</p>

[SET]
name: Spikes Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Ice Shard
item: Focus Sash
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie makes an excellent lead thanks to its above-average Speed, Taunt, and the ability to lay down Spikes. With decent all-round stats, Glalie fits comfortably into many different types of teams. Taunt prevents slower leads from setting up their own entry hazards, and also stops opposing Taunt leads from ruining your fun. Glalie can then reliably set up multiple layers of Spikes before using Explosion to take a chunk out of one of your opponent’s Pokemon. Leads like Uxie, Ambipom (thanks to Inner Focus), Mesprit, Spiritomb, and Omastar are all setup fodder for Glalie if you play it right. Ice Shard’s primary purpose is to consistently break Focus Sashes, regardless of what lead you are up against, unless you're facing a faster priority lead like Pinsir.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie is one of only two Pokemon to get the combination of Explosion, Spikes, Taunt, and a STAB priority move, the other being Qwilfish. This set takes full advantage of all these blessings in tandem. Using Glalie is a simple process, although it varies depending on what lead your opponent is using. Against Ambipom, the wisest move is to simply lay Spikes on the first turn while it tries to Fake Out or U-Turn out. Versus Omastar, Taunt is always the safest move, as it will prevent Omastar from setting up its own entry hazards. Against Mesprit and Uxie, Taunt and Spikes are both viable choices as the first move, depending on whether or not you believe your opponent is holding a Scarf. In the case of Cloyster, your first move depends on whether you believe your opponent will use Rock Blast or Spikes. Finally, against Spiritomb, throwing out as many layers of Spikes as you can is always the best option.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>The first thing to consider when choosing teammates for any Spikes lead is "Which spinblocker do I use?" In Glalie’s case, Mismagius is its best partner; its ability to set up Substitute and either Nasty Plot or Calm Mind can cause serious problems for your opponent when coupled with Glalie's Spikes support. Rotom and Spiritomb are also viable partners, as they possess better typings than Mismagius and can thus offer you more possibilities on the defensive side. Venusaur also makes an excellent Glalie partner, especially the special and physical Life Orb variants; Sleep Powder forces many switches, and when this is combined with Venusaur’s ability to hit hard on the switch , your opponent will have to play very carefully in order to survive. Donphan is also a great teammate for Glalie; Stealth Rock adds another entry hazard to the mix, and Rapid Spin support can help mitigate the effects of a a bad prediction on your part. Heracross is a reasonable choice as a Glalie partner, however it is much better off being paired with Cloyster, who does a better job of clearing out a few spots on the opponent’s team for a Heracross sweep. Finally, bulky Water-types, particularly offensive Milotic and Dragon Dance Feraligatr, are good teammates for Glalie; they offer decent synergy, and make great use of the Spikes that Glalie provides.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Lead Glalie can run a set with a specially offensive spread and Ice Beam in place of Ice Shard, but the loss of power from Explosion is a real letdown. Crunch is also a possible option over Ice Shard if you feel that Alakazam and bulky Psychic-type leads are a problem. Ice Fang is a more powerful attack than Ice Shard, but it doesn't OHKO or 2HKO anything of note, so Ice Shard is generally superior for breaking Focus Sashes. Super Fang is plausible if you want to take chunks out of bulky Steel-type leads like Steelix and Registeel, but otherwise it’s rather lackluster. Light Screen is an option to make Spiking easier, but Glalie is usually better served by using that moveslot for Taunt or Explosion.</p>

<p>Aside from the Lead set, Glalie's options are few and far between. A Choice Band set is comparatively viable, due to Glalie's access to STAB priority and Explosion. However, Glalie has a rather lackluster movepool and weak stats, as well as a weakness to Stealth Rock, leaving it utterly outclassed by Pokemon like Kabutops, Qwilfish, and Regirock. In the same vein, Choice Specs is also plausible, with Explosion to punish special walls like Chansey, but again, there are better Pokemon for the job.</p>

<p>On the defensive and support side, Glalie can run a bulkier Spikes set, but it is generally outclassed in that role by Qwilfish and Omastar, thanks to their better typing, lack of Stealth Rock weakness, and access to more types of entry hazards. Glalie can also work in a hail team to make use of Ice Body, but Walrein outclasses Glalie for this role. Lastly, Glalie can run Sing from Pokemon XD; however, its shaky accuracy makes it very risky.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Glalie hates dealing with Arcanine and Kabutops when in the lead position. Both of them can hit Glalie with a super effective STAB move, and then follow up with priority, meaning that the most you can do is either throw out a single layer of Spikes or Taunt Kabutops to prevent Stealth Rock. Moltres also poses problems for Glalie, as it is faster than Glalie and can 2HKO with Flamethrower, forcing Glalie to set up only a single layer of Spikes. Leads with U-turn, such as Scyther and Swellow, are also an irritation for Glalie because they can break its Focus Sash, leaving Glalie open for a faster sweeper to come in and finish it off.</p>

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would put Crunch in there somewhere, so you can easily maw Alakazam thinking they could stop you. You could slash it over Taunt, I guess.

^While that's true, one of Glalie's biggest selling points is the ability to stop a large number of leads from setting up. I suppose it could go under the additional comments section.

I've seen and used this lead, it's pretty good even compared to Qwilfish due to Uxie/Mesprit/Zam popularity. Approved.

^Not to mention the up and coming popularity of Omastar. I've been using this lead for over two months now, and I've pretty much got it down to a science.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You need to cover why this is better than Qwilfish, besides saying that "it prevents overlap of types" because I don't exactly look at any of my teams and go "hmm I need a pure ice type".

I think mentioning how it does better against Uxie and Mespirit and Ambipom should be good enough.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You've mentioned that advantages over Qwilfish, but I don't see anything about Uxie/Mespirit. Might just say "fares better against bulky psychics than qwilfish due to lack of weakness to their STAB moves". And note that it does worse against Arcanine and Moltres. Assuming you do that:

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd just like to throw in before this gets written up: What is the point of ice shard exactly? Its use is really limited to dd altaria and rp torterra, both of which you probably won't be sticking around long enough to see. An actual attack seems like it would fit better in that slot (ice beam, avalanche, crunch whatever floats your boat) rather than attack that doesn't really punish an opponent for taunting you with their lead.

^The original intent behind Ice Shard was to consistently break Focus Sashes, but I see your point. I'll give it some thought, the actual article is going to take me a few days to write anyway.

Finally posted the full analysis, so now it's on to the Grammar and Prose checks.

Big fucking bump as well, lol.

Not part of the official grammar check team but just pointing out basic grammatical/spelling errors to make it easier;)

<p>Glalie has been oft shunned since his competitive debut during the Advance Generation, and with the creation of his evolutionary partner Froslass, Glalie has been shut it the dank, overcrowded recesses of the NU teir tier. However, with Froslass shut away into the Borderline tier for the remainder of the D/P Generation, Glalie finally has a comfortable niche in the Underused environment.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Ice Shard / Ice Fang

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie makes an excellent Lead because of its above-average speed, Taunt, and the ability to lay down Spikes. With decent all-around stats, Glalie fits comfortably into many different types of teams. Taunt prevents slower leads from setting up their own entry hazards, while also stopping opposing Taunt leads from ruining your fun. Glalie can reliably throw up layers of Spikes before Exploding and taking a chunk out of one of your opponent’s Pokemon. Leads like Uxie, Ambipom (thanks to Inner Focus), Mesprit, Spiritomb, and Omastar are setup fodder for Glalie if you play him it right. Ice Shard’s primary purpose is to consistently break Focus Sashes, regardless of what lead you are facing. However, it can be replaced with Ice Fang if you’re looking for a harder hitting move.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie is one of only two Pokemon to get the combination of Explosion, Spikes, Taunt, and a STAB Priority move, the other being Qwilfish. This set takes full advantage of all these attributes by putting them all into the same set. Using Glalie is a simple process, although it varies depending on what lead your opponent is using. Against Ambipom, the wisest move is to simply lay Spikes on the first turn while it tries to Fake Out you. Against Mesprit and Uxie, Taunt and Spikes are both viable choices as the first move, depending on whether or not you believe your opponent is holding a Scarf. The same holds true for Cloyster, although in this case, it depends on whether or not you believe your opponent will use Rock Blast. Finally, against Spiritomb, throwing out as many layers of Spikes as you can is always the best choice.</p>

<p>Many people are probably asking “how is this different from the usual Spiker Glalie?” The simple answer is that Lead Glalie is made for throwing down a few quick Spikes and preventing opposing leads from setting up before it Explodes, whereas Spiker Glalie is intended for more longevity and Spiking during mid-game.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>The first thing you want to think about for a teammate to any Spikes lead is “what Spin Blocker do I use?” In Glalie’s case, Mismagius is its best partner; its ability to set up Substitutes Substitute and set up with either Nasty Plot or Calm Mind can cause serious problems for your opponent. Rotom and Spiritomb are also viable partners, as their better typing compared to Mismagius can offer you more possibilities on the defensive side.</p>

<p>Venusaur makes an excellent Glalie partner, particularly the Special and Physical Life Orb variants. Sleep Powder is a threat that forces many switches to begin with, and with Venusaur’s ability to hit hard on the switch as well, your opponent will have to play very carefully in order to survive.</p>

<p>Donphan is also a strong great partner for Glalie. Stealth Rock adds another Entry Hazzard Hazard type to the mix, and Rapid Spin support can help clean up a bad prediction afterwards.</p>

<p>Heracross is a reasonable choice as a Glalie partner. However, it is much better off being paired with Cloyster to clear out a few spots on the opponent’s team for a sweep.</p>

<p>Finally, bulky Water-types, particularly Offensive Milotic and Dragon Dance Feraligatr are good partners for Glalie. They offer decent synergy, and make great use of the Entry Hazzards Glalie provides.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Lead Glalie can run a set with a Special spread and Ice Beam in place of Ice Shard, but the loss of power from Explosion is a real letdown. Crunch is also a possible option over Ice Shard if you feel that Alakazam and other Bulky Psychics are a problem. Super Fang is plausible if you want to take chunks out of bulky Steel-type leads like Steelix and Registeel, but otherwise it’s rather lackluster.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Among leads, there are none Glalie Leads hate more than Arcanine and Kabutops. Both of them can hit Glalie with a Super Effective STAB move, and then follow up with priority, meaning that the most you can do is either throw out a single layer of Spikes or Taunt Kabutops to prevent Stealth Rock. Moltres is a similarly annoying opponent, as it is faster than Glalie and can 2HKO with Flamethrower/Fire Blast, while only allowing a single layer of Spikes to be planted. Leads that U-Turn out early, such as Scyther, are also an irritation for Glalie because it leaves him it open for a faster sweeper to come in and finish him it off.</p>

Agreeing with SOMALIA's edits except the second one. It is spelled "Environment".

Anyway, I think you should give this a second read-through, as I can see a number of grammatical and spelling problems. Also, since this isn't an update, you don't need Team Options, Optional Changes, or Counters sections. Instead, I suggest ignoring Optional Changes, merging Team Options and Counters, merging the current second "Additional Comments" section with "Set Comments", and making the combined Team Options and Counters section the second paragraph in "Additional Comments". Once you make those changes, I'm sure that GP Checkers will be glad to look at this.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
^Actually I think he/she meant to change it to a revamp. Eon, if you did, you may want to edit your thread title, (you can do that now if you haven't heard).

^Well, it's not technically a revamp, since there currently isn't a Lead set for Glalie on its analysis. I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing, in this case, as you can tell, it's been a while since I posted the set.

I guess it's up to you...Glalie DOES need a revamp, although you'll need to work on Optional Changes if you do turn this into a revamp, because it's currently oriented towards the Lead set. I can help if that becomes the case, as I can think of some ideas of the top of my head which I have had used against me. Either way, work on grammar and spelling changes before deciding about whether or not to turn this into a revamp.

Yeah... I guess I could, although I'll be short on time until November. Also, I don't notice that many problems with spelling and grammar, other than the ones SOMALIA pointed out.

After implementing SOMALIA's changes, it will look like this:
Red=Remove
Blue=Add
<p>Glalie has often been oft shunned since his itscompetitive debut during the Advance Generation, and with the creation of his itsevolutionary partner Froslass, Glalie has been shut it now resides in the dank, overcrowded recesses of the NU tier. However, with Froslass shut away into the Borderline tier for the remainder of the D/P Generation, Glalie finally has a comfortable niche in the Underused environment.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Ice Shard / Ice Fang

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie makes an excellent Lead lead because of its above-average speed, Taunt, and the ability to lay down Spikes. With decent all-around stats, Glalie fits comfortably into many different types of teams. Taunt prevents slower leads from setting up their own entry hazards, while also stopping opposing Taunt leads from ruining your fun. Glalie can reliably throw up layers of Spikes before Exploding and taking a chunk out of one of your opponent’s Pokemon. Leads like Uxie, Ambipom (thanks to Inner Focus), Mesprit, Spiritomb, and Omastar are setup fodder for Glalie if you play it right. Ice Shard’s primary purpose is to consistently break Focus Sashes, regardless of what lead you are facing. However, it can be replaced with Ice Fang if you’re looking for a harder hitting move.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie is one of only two Pokemon to get the combination of Explosion, Spikes, Taunt, and a STAB Priority move, the other being Qwilfish. This set takes full advantage of all these attributes by putting them all into the same set. Using Glalie is a simple process, although it varies depending on what lead your opponent is using. Against Ambipom, the wisest move is to simply lay Spikes on the first turn while it tries to Fake Out you. Against Mesprit and Uxie, Taunt and Spikes are both viable choices as the first move, depending on whether or not you believe your opponent is holding a Scarf. The same holds true for Cloyster, although in this case, it depends on whether or not you believe your opponent will use Rock Blast. Finally, against Spiritomb, throwing out as many layers of Spikes as you can is always the best choice.</p>

<p>Many people are probably asking “how is this different from the usual Spiker Glalie?” The simple answer is that Lead Glalie is made for throwing down a few quick Spikes and preventing opposing leads from setting up before it Explodes, whereas Spiker Glalie is intended for more longevity and Spiking during mid-game.</p>
(delete if making a revamp, combine with paragraph in "Team Options" if this is just a set addition)

[Team Options]

<p>The first thing you want to think about for a teammate to any Spikes lead is “what What Spin Blocker do I use?” In Glalie’s case, Mismagius is its best partner; its ability to set up Substitute and set up with either Nasty Plot or Calm Mind can cause serious problems for your opponent. Rotom and Spiritomb are also viable partners, as their better typing compared to Mismagius can offer you more possibilities on the defensive side.</p>

<p>Venusaur makes an excellent Glalie partner, particularly the Special and Physical Life Orb variants. Sleep Powder is a threat that forces many switches to begin with, and with Venusaur’s ability to hit hard on the switch as well, your opponent will have to play very carefully in order to survive.</p>

<p>Donphan is also a great partner for Glalie. Stealth Rock adds another Entry Hazard type to the mix, and Rapid Spin support can help clean up a bad prediction afterwards.</p>

<p>Heracross is a reasonable choice as a Glalie partner. However, it is much better off being paired with Cloyster to clear out a few spots on the opponent’s team for a sweep.</p>

<p>Finally, bulky Water-types, particularly Offensive Milotic and Dragon Dance Feraligatr are good partners for Glalie. They offer decent synergy, and make great use of the Entry Hazzards SpikesGlalie provides.</p>
(Combine all Team Options paragraphs into one paragraph)

[Optional Changes]

<p>Lead Glalie can run a set with a Special spread and Ice Beam in place of Ice Shard, but the loss of power from Explosion is a real letdown. Crunch is also a possible option over Ice Shard if you feel that Alakazam and other Bulky Psychics are a problem. Super Fang is plausible if you want to take chunks out of bulky Steel-type leads like Steelix and Registeel, but otherwise it’s rather lackluster.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Among leads, there are none Glalie Leads hate more than Arcanine and Kabutops. Glalie hates facing Arcanine and Kabutops when in the lead position. Both of them can hit Glalie with a Super Effective STAB move, and then follow up with priority, meaning that the most you can do is either throw out a single layer of Spikes or Taunt Kabutops to prevent Stealth Rock. Moltres is a similarly annoying opponent also poses problems for Glalie, as it is faster than Glalie and can 2HKO with Flamethrower/Fire Blast, allowing a single layer of Spikes to be planted forcing Glalie to set up only one layer of Spikes. Leads that U-Turn out early with U-turn, such as Scyther, are also an irritation for Glalie because it leaves it Glalie open for a faster sweeper to come in and finish it off.</p>

This is not a GP Check, and you will need actual GP Checkers to come in and look at this. I got some stuff, but I know I missed some parts. Still, this will help to clean up some awkward phrasing and other stuff.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Yeah, if you were to say this is a revamp, it'd already have a lot more info than what's on the analysis on-site already. All you'd have to do is add the sets that are in the analysis to OC, as I doubt any of those sets are really that viable.

<p>Glalie makes an excellent lead because of its above-average speed 80 base is average, Taunt, and the ability to lay down Spikes. With decent all-around stats, Glalie fits comfortably into many different types of teams. Taunt prevents slower leads from setting up their own entry hazards, while also stopping opposing Taunt leads from ruining your fun. Glalie can reliably throw up layers of Spikes before Exploding and taking a chunk out of one of your opponent’s Pokemon. Leads like Uxie, Ambipom (thanks to Inner Focus), Mesprit, Spiritomb, and Omastar are setup fodder for Glalie if you play it right. Ice Shard’s primary purpose is to consistently break Focus Sashes, regardless of what lead you are facing. However, it can be replaced with Ice Fang if you’re looking for a harder hitting move.</p>
Does Ice Fang actually 2HKO/OHKO anything important?

Ambipom has Taunt and U-turn, Mespy and Uxie have U-turn/Trick, Spiritomb Tricks too...

About Ambipom. You can't expect them Fake Out-ing. An intelligent player would know it had Inner Focus and Taunt-->U-turn to a counter, particularly if this is going to be on site.

Right?

So you decided to do an update...as promised, here are ideas that you could consider in Optional Changes:
-CB set possible, with Glalie's good physical movepool. However, Attack and Speed stats really let it down.
-Specs set also possible, but limited movepool, as well as stat problems
-Avalanche gets STAB, as well as making use of Glalie's low Speed stat
-Super Fang (already mentioned in OC, but mentioned for lead set)
-Hail Stall @ Ice Body
-Sing (mention that it has shaky accuracy as well)

I have seen all of these used against me successfully, although not all of the instances were on Smogon's Shoddy or PL servers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)