Spiritomb (Calm Mind + Pain Split)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, here's a Spiritomb set I've been playing around lately, and thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/spiritomb

[SET]
name: Calm Mind + Pain Split
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Leftovers
ability: Pressure
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
ivs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
- Bulky Calm Minder with a semi-reliable way of restoring health
- Unlike CM + RestTalk, this set has perfect coverage
- After one Calm Mind, pretty much nothing is OHKOing this thing (Physically, it takes a CB Aggron's Head Smash).
- Can serve other purposes other than tanking, can be a good Spin blocker who can Pain Split off stuff like Donphan.

Additional Comments:
- A more offensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA Modest can be used (It actually hits really hard at +1)
- Nasty Plot is also optional if one wants to go straight for attacking power, but CM allows Spiritomb to tank

Teammates and Counters:
- Status (Especially Toxic)
- Special walls, eg Chansey, Haze Milotic serve as counters
- Teammates: Dugtrio to take out Chansey, Venusaur to take Haze Milotic, status absorbers (Curse Heal Bell Miltank is good)

Cool set I'm not anyone important but perhaps you could slash nasty plot with calm mind and name boosting pain splitter or something like that

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I tried this set... back in Platinum era (and when it was OU). It was a little different (Calm Mind | Will-O-Wisp | Pain Split | Dark Pulse). It's an okay set (and with HP Fighting > Will-O-Wisp it's likely better).

Two things you definitely want: Spinners and Wish Passing; especially the former. Donphan and Hitmontop are good choices, but of course being weak to Toxic Spikes sort of sucks (though with Venusaur on your team, this becomes less of an issue).

I...dont like it. Without something like Sub you're so prone to status that exists on every UU team. CM + Resttalk lets you beat Chansey eventually, and Toxic Milotic, whereas this set falls to both. I don't see the merit in this when I could use CM + Resttalk and threaten a more successful sweep. Who cares about perfect coverage when you can CM in front of things like Registeel and then kill them eventually anyway when they do nothing back.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Having used multiple variants of Spiritomb, I can't see why this is superior to ResTalk or the CM / WoW / Rest / Dark Pulse set that I used/pioneered earlier in UU. I'm iffy on CMTomb anyway, but removing its ability to stall forever on walls and weaker attackers seals it.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem I have with CM Mono attacking Tombs is the fact that he is complete setup fodder by stuff that resist it (Read: Houndoom, Bulk Up Hariyama and stuff like that). With the additional extra move for coverage, Spiritomb gets becomes a lot harder to setup on and therefore it is easier to keep momentum. Status is a bitch, but this set isn't really supposed to stall-break anyway. Hopefully we can get more opinions to weigh in on this.

yeah i agree with tof the advantages seem very situational (houndoom is basically it; does bulk up hariyama even exist) while the disadvantages are marked. it performs a lot worse against defensive teams when compared to mono attacking spiritomb with rest (and either sleep talk or will o wisp), while by virtue of the nature of the set, it is inherently not great against offense anyways.

i can see how it might be good so i won't just reject it now but logs would be nice... a lot of them.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
the only benefit from the extra coverage is smacking aggron for the immediate ohko. other than that, registeel, steelix, and chansey can be beat with the mono set. rest is the superior recovery move over pain split in my opinion, toxic will wear down this set too easily.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
shrang, are you still interested in pursuing this? Whistle, ToF, and SDS expressed iffyness about it, but it has yet to be formally rejected.

Maybe provide those logs?

shrang

General Kenobi
I've forgotten this even existed, it's been so long. You can reject it if you like, I haven't got any logs.

Don't mind if I do.

(QC rejected 1/2)

The whole point of Calm Minding with Tomb is to set up on walls that have no offense. What do these walls have? Toxic. That's why nearly every Calm Mind Spiritomb needs Rest.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, pretty much. This is the RestTalk CM set with Pain Split and HP Fighting over the RestTalk part, and Spiritomb really needs a reliable recovery move if it even wanna dream of sweeping. Just mentioning on the AC of the RestTalk set how HP Fighting can be used over Sleep Talk if you want to hit Steel-types, Chansey, Houndoom and some other mons seems enough to me.

QC rejected 2/2

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Will do. I'll add a sentence to the RestTalk set then about Hidden Power Fighting. Thank you QC. Moving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)