Tyranitar (OU) defensive set

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Set Overview]
As one of OU's biggest threats Tyranitar doesn't need much help scaring foes, but one problem is many people packing counters to it such as Starmie Jirachi and Celebi. This set is designed to wall and attack back almost any pokemon in the OU environment thats not paking Close Combat.

[SET]
name: Revenge Tar
move 1: Crunch
move 2: EarthQuake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: FirePunch
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
ability: SandStream
evs: 252HP / 252 SpD/4 att

[Set Comments]
The purpose of this set is to support your sweepers by eliminating their threats in a safe and efficient way. This set allows you to switch into Starmie's and Vaporeons surfs, Heatran's Earth Power Fire Blast and Explosion, Various Leaf Storms, Grass Knots and nuetral physical attacks with over half your hp and ready to strike back. You can also revenge kill any pokemon not carrying Close Combat or Superpower, depending on Togekiss's ev spread it can survive 2 auraspheres.

[Counters]
Any Pokemon with a physical fighting move. CB scizor scares this Tyranitar like most others.

The problem with this set is that it can't take consecutive hits. As in if you bing it into Gengar, sure you CAN kill it provided it stays in [most will fearing pursuit], but it leaves you in easily OHKOable range, like ~20% HP, which is not really good for something which is specifically designed to handle such pokemon, as you are not only slow, but have no recovery move either.

Would not something such as Blissey do a better job here, as she can take these Special hits even more easily, and cripple foes with moves such as Thunder Wave [for a slow Sweeper], or Toxic [to wear down walls], and this does more than enough for several pokes. And much like Tyranitar, she can't take STAB/LO physical fighting moves. However the key advantage is, that she can switch into almost any special move, and easily survive with 50%+ HP and still have recovery moves available to her.

EDIT: It does not beat Jirachi....
EQ vs 0 HP / 0 Def Neutral Jirachi = (51.24% - 60.61%)
And Jirachi can 2HKO with SR up with 252 Atk Jolly Iron Head

And Crunch fails to 2HKO [well 50% with Rocks up] 252 HP / 220 Def Bold Celebi, and Celebi can just recover + Grass knot away.

Even though I don't think this set has much potential, it would probably be better to run Relaxed or Sassy, and put Flamethrower over Fire Punch (will hurt Skarmory, et al more), and with no Atk investment, Fire Punch hits like a schoolgirl. It just doesn't have the same durability and firepower of other Tyranitar sets, like the lead tar set.

ChestoRest might be possible with this set, if you want to bluff a Choice set.

---NOTE: I am not QC; I was just expressing my opinion and suggesting changes.---

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
The Choice Banded set with 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Def and a Careful nature deals with everything this set deals with better.. and thats only in Other Options..

Also, this set can't take on Starmie:
Starmie Timid Life Orb Surf - 44.6% - 52.5% (chance to 2HKO, always with stealth rocks)
and with no Pursuit, it can always just run away if you come in on the revenge..

This set doesn't really do what it's meant, losing to Jirachi, Celebi, Scizor, Machamp, etc. which are all very common pokemon. It's outclasses by CB tar.
Also, what notable KOs does this EV spread save you from? More investment in attack would me good, as tar doesn't have the best defensive typing.

A defensive pokemon with 6 weaknesses? Not the best idea.
I've used a defensive Tyranitar on one of my best stall teams. I believe the set was Rest - Sleep Talk - Roar - Crunch / EQ (depending on the team's needs). Tyranitar walls Heatran like no other and is very, very bulky on the special side, taking on Vaporeon with Roar (hopefully with TSpikes support) and not fearing much outside of Fighting-type moves. But this set is FAR too situational. Agreeing with the rest of the squad, 4 attack non-CB TTar isn't that impressive.

As one of OU's biggest threats Tyranitar doesn't need much help scaring foes, but one problem is many people packing counters to it such as Starmie Jirachi and Celebi.
Tyranitar is good, but not that fucking good. You are trying to defeat three pokemon that beat you to hell and back. Your best bet is to run Choice Band with a Special Defensive spread. Jirachi just whoops you regardless.

You haven't really attempted to explain this set at all, and to be honest, I'm not sure what it's supposed to do that other sets already on-site do. No from me.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A defensive pokemon with 6 weaknesses? Not the best idea.
Celebi has 7 weaknesses and can be defensive, and Tyranitar it just takes on any hit like a pro except for heavy Fighting hits, sure, he has counters, but every other Pokémon has counters as well.

And to me, Tyranitar's base stats are bulky enough to be a Wall, 100/110/100 is very good to me, PLUS it's Sp. Defence is boosted by +50% with it's Sandstorm.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Celebi has 7 weaknesses and can be defensive, and Tyranitar it just takes on any hit like a pro except for heavy Fighting hits, sure, he has counters, but every other Pokémon has counters as well.
Celebi has reliable recovery, Leech Seed and truckload of support moves that help it become a great defensive Pokemon. She has great Speed. This is not to mention, while Celebi has a lot of weaknesses, she also has a list of resistances to very commonly used attacks, like EQ, Thunderbolt, Surf, Close Combat, Grass Knot, while Tyranitar is being hit Super Effective by a lot of them.

Also, without any Attack EVs, Tyranitar isn't going to be hitting very hard, and Tyranitar is very good at killing things. Basically, you're taking away what it does best and giving it a rather mediocre option.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, without any Attack EVs, Tyranitar isn't going to be hitting very hard, and Tyranitar is very good at killing things. Basically, you're taking away what it does best and giving it a rather mediocre option.
And that's why my Tyranitar had an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def. [was testing it actually, and it's not that bad]

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

And to me, Tyranitar's base stats are bulky enough to be a Wall, 100/110/100 is very good to me, PLUS it's Sp. Defence is boosted by +50% with it's Sandstorm.
Celebi has a myriad of support options and reliable recovery which make it a good defensive option, despite that 7 weaknesses (I still never liked Celebi though). Tyranitar has what? Stealth Rock, Roar and ... that's it. On top of that, this set isn't using even one of the support options he has, so what's he going to do besides just sit there? Hit you like a schoolgirl from that uninvested Atk?

aVocado

@ Everstone
Celebi has a myriad of support options and reliable recovery which make it a good defensive option, despite that 7 weaknesses (I still never liked Celebi though). Tyranitar has what? Stealth Rock, Roar and ... that's it. On top of that, this set isn't using even one of the support options he has, so what's he going to do besides just sit there? Hit you like a schoolgirl from that uninvested Atk?
To be honest i never used a Tyranitar without giving it Attack EVs (I used like 4 different Tyranitars with different movesets and different EVs) for that same reason: Tyranitar must have Attack EVs, as it works better with a Tank-And-Hit-That-Bastard moveset. [which i believe might be one of the best things that Tyranitar could do, note that i said one of the best things]

With the Celebi argument, lets see what these weaknesses actually are.

Tyranitar: Water, Ground, Fight, Bug, Steel, Grass
vs
Celebi: Fire, Bug, Ice, Flying, Ghost, Dark [may have forgotten one or two]

The point is, Ground and Water are upon the most common moves in the game, and Tyranitar is weak to both of them, and as others have mentioned, lacks reliable support/recovery moves.

I have my doubts about the effectiveness of this set.
Tbh I don't think it has any advantage over already excisting Tyranitar sets, sorry =/

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I´m not please with how this set looks. I don´t see either any thorough explanation of how it´s meant to be used. I gotta say no.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yep, this is iffy. Tyranitar really doesn't need a "defensive set" because of how many different defensive sets it can run. It's really one of those Pokemon that works differently with every team that it goes on, and unfortunately, we can't put every single defensive spread on-site.

Even barring that, this doesn't even have a good spread, or really any spread at all, and has no explanation for anything. It's iffy at best, and that gives it a no from me.

QC REJECTED (3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)