Razor Claw Gallade

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how it works:

Gallade
Adamant Nature
EVs: 6HP 252 Attack 252 Speed (ultimate EV spread)
Item: Razor Claw
Attacks:
Close Combat
Psycho Cut
Night Slash/Leaf Blade
Stone Edge/Leaf Blade

Razor Claw: This item boosts Crit Hit ratio by one level. The attacks Psycho Cut, Night Slash, Leaf Blade, and Stone Edge have an increased critical hit ratio. This is 2 levels up in ratio already. My calculations may be incorrect, but this is a 25% chance of hiting a critical with 3 of his 4 moves.

Close Combat: Standard for Gallade, STAB and gets rid of Blissey

Psycho Cut: Standard for Gallade, STAB plus 25% critical hit with this strategy.

Night Slash: Takes out ghosts and other psychics. Ghosts with low defence stand no chance. 25% critical hit with this strategy.

Stone Edge: Always a risky move. Takes care of flying types. 25% critical hit with this strategy.

Leaf Blade: Does not provide coverage, but is useful for taking care of bulky waters. 25% critical hit with this strategy.

A few notes:

Flying types are a neusance. Unless they are using special attacks or you know that you are faster, it is wise to switch out. If you are faster, pray Stone Edge hits. If you aren't crazy about Stone Edge's accuracy, you can always use Smogon's substitute for Stone Edge, Ice Punch.

I've found that Ghosts are not as much of a problem for Gallade. He has a high enough SpDef stat that he can take a blow of two from the standard STAB ghost move. Night Slash can usually OHKO ghosts, especially if there is a critical hit.

Besides just about any flying type, there are 2 pokemon that I worry about. One is Gengar. He is one of those ghosts that can outrun just about anything. Switching in on it is stupid. I have found that even a Modest Gengar cannot usually OHKO my Gallade. This may just be a fluke, so please comment on that. The other is Infernape. Gallade doesn't have the best defence, so a fast physical attacker is not fun for Gallade, especially if Infernape for some reason is running Shadow Claw. Luckily, if it's using Special Attacks, Survival is quite likely, and Psycho Cut can take it down easily.

In conclusion, I've been testing this for a while. It works quite well. In fact, just a quick comment on Night Slash, when revenge killing ghosts, Gallade is my go-to guy rather than Gengar. (Yes, crazy, but I am a little odd) This strategy works, well enough, that I have often been accused of using hacks on critical hits. I'm not the best battler, but I'm sure that if some experienced player out there would test this, it would be a good success.

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
4 LO-Boosted Attacks will be doing more than 3 non-LO Attacks + 1 Crit, so I dunno why you'd want to use this. Gallade may have high SpDef but without investment he can't take SE hits on the Special side as well as you claim, certainly not Shadow Balls from most Gengar. The only reason I can see you wanting to use this is to bluff a choice item, but even then an Expert Belt / Fighting Plate / Berry is superior.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"no"

A set relying on an item that's useless 87.5% of the time (chance to not CH + chance to CH normally), especially when Life Orb or Choice Band does the job just as well, but doesn't have a dumb item or moveset, should never go on-site.

"no"

A set relying on an item that's useless 87.5% of the time (chance to not CH + chance to CH normally), especially when Life Orb or Choice Band does the job just as well, but doesn't have a dumb item or moveset, should never go on-site.
ok, i'll just leave this alone, think of something else with a legit item.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While we appreciate your enthusiasm, generally "looking for new sets to post" isn't the best way to go about things. New sets come fairly naturally, in response to metagame shifts or experimentation with new stuff. Still, if you come across any solid sets in your testing, feel free to post them.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm posting to give this thread the final rejection and then move it.

Thank you for the enthusiasm that you put into the posting of this set, Upduck. Feel free to participate in Quality Control as much as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)