move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Rest
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Return / Earthquake
item: Chesto Berry
nature: Adamant
evs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Feraligatr has always had problems dealing with bulky status inducers such as Milotic and Weezing. This set attempts to remedy that problem. The combination of Chesto Berry and Rest allows Feraligatr to set up Dragon Dance regardless of any status inflicted on him until he is at a point where he cannot take any more hits. From there, Rest is used to heal Feraligatr of any status ailments while simultaneously restoring him to full health. Chesto Berry awakens him instantly; thus you have an alligator at full health with several boosts in both his Attack and Speed. Waterfall is Feraligatr's best physical STAB option, dealing massive damage to many of UU's top threats, and is best paired up with either Return or Earthquake. The former has great coverage with Waterfall, the combination hitting every Pokemon in the UU tier for neutral damage (except Shedinja of course). Earthquake does not bring as much to the table as Return because most of the types it hits for super effective damage are still hit for almost the same damage with Waterfall. However, using it over Return does enable Feraligatr to hit bulky Poison-types, such as Drapion, for super effective damage and it gets a clean 2HKO on all Registeel variants after a single Dragon Dance.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given Speed EVs allow Feraligatr to outspeed base 105 Speed Pokemon after a single Dragon Dance. The rest of the EVs are invested in Feraligatr's Attack and HP, thereby significantly increasing his overall bulk. Feraligatr's bulk is often forgotten in lieu of his great Attack stat, but by placing extra EVs in his HP rather than Speed, it becomes much easier to set up an extra Dragon Dance. In fact, both Weezing's Thunderbolt and Milotic's Hidden Power Grass will fail to 2HKO Feraligatr with the investment. Since Feraligatr is expected to get more than one Dragon Dance, an Adamant nature is used as there won't be much that can outspeed the fearsome beast after several Speed boosts. An alternative spread of 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe makes sure that Feraligatr isn't outsped by Scarfed positively natured Rotom after two Dragon Dance boosts. Since this set has its own type of instant recovery, it requires less support to function efficiently.</p>

<p>Speaking of support, Venusaur has great synergy with Feraligatr and can temporarily incapacitate opposing Pokemon who threaten Feraligatr with Sleep Powder. Both Passho Berry Houndoom and Arcanine can lure in the primary check to Feraligatr, Milotic. Arcanine can set a timer on Milotic lacking Rest with Toxic while Houndoom can switch in on a Pokemon it threatens and set up Nasty Plot twice before its Passho Berry is used and destroy Milotic with +4 Hidden Power Grass. Toxic Spikes, despite being a rather unreliable variety of entry hazard due to the omnipresence of Poison-types in the UU metagame, can prove useful by crippling bulky Water-type walls such as Slowbro and Blastoise, thereby significantly limiting the number of times they can hit Feraligatr as he sets up; a critical hit or even Special Defense drop from Psychic is inevitable as the number of hits increases. Both Drapion and Qwilfish are ideal candidates for this role as they can both set up Toxic Spikes as well as get rid of any Toxic Spikes placed by the opponent's Pokemon. Haze Milotic is the primary counter to Feraligatr in general and can effortlessly remove all the stat boosts the alligator has gained.</p>

Big Frank's notes
Perks:

-An absolute animal once it feigns a standard DD set. much success with this set due to the lack of slowbro absence once again and thanks to the rise of weezing, you can set up Dragon Dance even on Will-O-Wisp - use Rest then begin to sweep at pristine condition. this can be said the same for Registeel who is one of the more popular Thunder Wave users - opponent thinks it has you in a checkmate position with Thunder wave but you can easily Rest once you get enough DD's in. basically, the premise is to DD until your health is running low then use Rest to rise back to full health. this is an effective strategy against offensive and bulky offense.

-not exactly similar to the DD set as this one has the mindset of accumulating more Dragon Dance in the long run instead of using DD once then dishing out plenty damage with LO.

AC:

-advised to be sweeping mid-game instead of early game. It is recommended that you fish out Milotic in the game to analyze its moveset. if Milotic is lacking Haze, this set is capable of beating Milotic.

-the Speed outpaces 105+ btw. the set is geared towards setting up on milotic without haze if you plan to face it directly. hp grass only deals 33.4% - 39.9% - you can set up 2 DD's, rest, get one or two more dd's then hurt it with repeated return or eq. after the third dd, it is capable of juggling milotic with return + dd if you predict correctly on the recover. the special defense bulk in general will help against stuff you will typically set up on such as sludge bomb weezing, psychic slowbro, to name a few. you can pour the special defense evs to HP if you feel like it.

Counters:

-Haze Milotic (primary counter)
-Slowbro is still a solid counter but can still lose because it can still be outpaced with several DD's under Feraligatr's belt.
-Tangrowth and Leafeon

Partners:

-passho doom is one of the best milotic lures in the game and can help feraligatr sweep.

-scyther makes an excellent partner thanks to its ability to switch into pure-grass types with high physical defense like leafeon and tangrowth. in most cases, this will help draw in steel-types + rhyperior, which feraligatr can set up on.

-ok for me i used adamant + thunder fang arcanine + spikes to lure in milotic. i WILL mention it but it seems like a lot of work to lure in milotic. spikes + thunder fang is one of the best milotic lure in the game and can 2hko it easily. its very situational though, but use thunder fang on a venusaur (which will normally switch out anyways).

-a couple of games later i've tested feraligatr with a toxic arcanine and it helps beat haze-less milotic. set up dd's as poison intensifies and use return to hasten this process even with marvel scale on! most players tend to sacrfice their milotic once feraligatr reveals the rest since no one in the other team can really counter a +2-4 gatr.

-from a theorymon standpoint, heysup ken (one with a low speed) can be used to lure and pummel defensive milotic with the correct prediction. this blaziken will often lure in slowbro too (if this is their natural bulky water at choice.. a weak choice.)

This set looks really good,i tested it out to much success.Have you tried using Manectric as a viable partner?It can easily remove Haze Milotic,Slowbro,and physically defensive grass types as you mentiond. I was using Manectric on a team with ths Feralgtr with 3 Layers of Spikes in use and it was more effective then i tought it would be.

Goddamnit I was actually planning on posting this lol. Anyways, I've been using a much more defensive spread.

evs: 224 HP / 104 Atk / 40 SpD / 140 Spe

Unless I'm mistaken, only 140 Spe is necessary to beat +105 Pokemon after a DD. The Defensive EVs are to survive two Thunderbolts from SubCM Uxie, which is pretty rare but the bulk is nice anyways. Especially because the 0/0 spread takes a ton from priority. I tested both the max Atk spread and the above spread, and I usually preferred the extra bulk, but I guess that's a matter of preference. (The above spread would probably work better with some HP moved in SpD, actually)

Also, Venusaur definitely deserves a mention as a teammate, because it switches into this set's counters (Milotic, Tangrowth) while it lures Pokemon that Feraligatr easily sets up on (bulky Arcanine, Registeel, Weezing).

EDIT: I was messing around with the EV spread, and a new possibility was 152 HP / 104 Atk / 112 SpD / 140 Spe. The HP allows it to survive 2 Arcanine CB ExtremeSpeeds after SR, so it still takes priority nicely and maintains some bulk. By moving the HP EVs to SpD, it now is 4HKOed by Milotic's HP Grass on average, and Slowbro will almost never 3HKO with Psychic.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It looks like a great set franky! Maybe you could add Venusaur as a posssible teammate/ partner since it can easily switch into Slowbro who often switch into Feraligatr? Overall it looks like a great set taking into consideration of what the current metagame is like.

Seems like a good set, even though I hate Feraligatr (seriously I've swept with Croconaw 3 times but never with Feraligtr, so sad).

In the teammates section you might want to mention PasshoDoom to effectively lure and defeat Milo.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess I'm weird because I've been getting much different results with this thing?

DD Chesto kingdra is so ballin because of its resistances, it's single weakness and the fact that it sets up on some of the most common Pokemon in the tier with ease. Feralitgatr on the other hand suffers because even though it may set up on some of the popular mon's main stab, most pack a move that ohko-2hko it after the initial nve attack.

DDKingdra sets up on the bulky waters in ou, DDFeraligatr pretty much gets 100% countered by them, and there's very little else it can set up on. I'm willing to listen to reason on this if some other QCers test it, but right now I'm leaning towards reject.

I used this on an offensive team (albeit with two bulky-water lures) and I found it to be quite effective. It isn't hard to grab a Dragon Dance or two with all of the weak status users and fire-types around, and once Haze Milotic is gone, it's hard to stop.

I want to test a bit more though.

Goddamnit I was actually planning on posting this lol. Anyways, I've been using a much more defensive spread.

evs: 224 HP / 104 Atk / 40 SpD / 140 Spe

Unless I'm mistaken, only 140 Spe is necessary to beat +105 Pokemon after a DD. The Defensive EVs are to survive two Thunderbolts from SubCM Uxie, which is pretty rare but the bulk is nice anyways. Especially because the 0/0 spread takes a ton from priority. I tested both the max Atk spread and the above spread, and I usually preferred the extra bulk, but I guess that's a matter of preference. (The above spread would probably work better with some HP moved in SpD, actually)
Just got crushed by this EV spread, thinking it was a standard DD'er, albeit bulkier. I'd like to point out that I would've won the matchup if it hadn't invested in HP.

I think this set works great as long as you have something to switch into bulky Grass-types and Haze Milotic. Both spreads work, but I prefer the 252 Atk one.

Just mention Spike + SR support.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ie the 2 most popular Pokemon in the tier and Pokemon that are both ridiculously hard to get out of the way.

Pray tell just what were you setting up on because I found little that I could set up on in the fashion that Chesto Rest is meant to (most cases found sd or a more offensive dd set would have done me much better)

ie the 2 most popular Pokemon in the tier and Pokemon that are both ridiculously hard to get out of the way.
They are the two most easy Pokemon to lure and weaken / KO, at least in my experience (since they are people's response to "everything").

JabbaTheGriffin said:
Pray tell just what were you setting up on because I found little that I could set up on in the fashion that Chesto Rest is meant to (most cases found sd or a more offensive dd set would have done me much better)
Literally random Pokemon such as Houndoom, Arcanine, Moltres, Mismagius, etc. It can force one out, take an attack from something, and beat it's would-be checks (albeit not counters) before you Rest up and set up more DDs. After they are gone, you can just Rest, set up more, and seal the deal. For example, this is one example of setting up on a random Thunderbolt (if tl;dr, skip to the bolded part).

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Heysup sent out Omastar (lvl 100 Omastar ?).
thecockroach sent out Omastar (lvl 100 Omastar ?).
Omastar used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Omastar used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---
Omastar used Spikes.
Omastar used Spikes.
---
Omastar used Spikes.
Omastar used Spikes.
---
thecockroach switched in Venusaur (lvl 100 Venusaur ?).
Pointed stones dug into Venusaur.
Venusaur lost 12% of its health.
Venusaur was hurt by Spikes!
Venusaur lost 19% of its health.
Omastar used Spikes.
Venusaur's leftovers restored its health a little!
Venusaur restored 6% of its health.
---
Omastar used Earth Power.
Venusaur lost 20% of its health.
Venusaur used Sleep Powder.
Omastar fell asleep!
---
shacetest has entered the room.
Omastar is fast asleep!
Venusaur used Leech Seed.
Omastar was seeded!
Omastar's health was sapped by leech seed!
Omastar lost 12% of its health.
Venusaur regained health!
Venusaur restored 10% of its health.
---
Omastar is fast asleep!
Venusaur used Energy Ball.
It's super effective!
Omastar lost 88% of its health.
Heysup's Omastar fainted.
---
Heysup switched in Absol (lvl 100 Absol ?).
Absol was hurt by Spikes!
Absol lost 25% of its health.
Absol used Night Slash.
Venusaur lost 57% of its health.
Absol lost 10% of its health.
Venusaur used Sleep Powder.
Absol fell asleep!
---
Heysup switched in Torterra (lvl 100 Torterra ?).
Torterra was hurt by Spikes!
Torterra lost 25% of its health.
---
Torterra used Rock Polish.
Torterra's speed was sharply raised.
Venusaur used Sludge Bomb.
Torterra lost 37% of its health.
Torterra was poisoned!
Torterra is hurt by poison!
Torterra lost 12% of its health.
---
thecockroach switched in Mismagius (lvl 100 Mismagius ?).
Pointed stones dug into Mismagius.
Mismagius lost 12% of its health.
Mismagius makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Torterra used Earthquake.
Torterra's attack missed!
Torterra is hurt by poison!
Torterra lost 12% of its health.
Mismagius's leftovers restored its health a little!
Mismagius restored 6% of its health.
---
thecockroach switched in Donphan (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Pointed stones dug into Donphan.
Donphan lost 6% of its health.
Donphan was hurt by Spikes!
Donphan lost 25% of its health.
Torterra used Wood Hammer.
It's super effective!
Donphan lost 69% of its health.
thecockroach's Donphan fainted.
Torterra was hit by recoil!
Torterra lost 14% of its health.
Heysup's Torterra fainted.
---
Heysup switched in Absol (lvl 100 Absol ?).
thecockroach switched in Venusaur (lvl 100 Venusaur ?).
Absol was hurt by Spikes!
Absol lost 25% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Venusaur.
Venusaur lost 12% of its health.
Venusaur was hurt by Spikes!
Venusaur lost 25% of its health.
Absol is fast asleep!
Absol was seeded!
Absol's health was sapped by leech seed!
Absol lost 12% of its health.
Venusaur regained health!
Venusaur restored 9% of its health.
---
Absol is fast asleep!
Venusaur used Sludge Bomb.
Absol lost 28% of its health.
Heysup's Absol fainted.
---
Heysup switched in Kabutops (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).
Kabutops was hurt by Spikes!
Kabutops lost 25% of its health.
Kabutops used Waterfall.
It's not very effective...
Venusaur lost 28% of its health.
thecockroach's Venusaur fainted.
Kabutops lost 10% of its health.
---
Heysup switched in Rotom (lvl 100 Rotom).
Mismagius used Substitute.
Mismagius lost 25% of its health.
Mismagius made a substitute!
---
Rotom used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Mismagius!
Mismagius's substitute faded!
Mismagius used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Rotom lost 100% of its health.
Heysup's Rotom fainted.
---
Heysup switched in Feraligatr (lvl 100 Feraligatr ?).
Feraligatr was hurt by Spikes!
Feraligatr lost 25% of its health.
Mismagius used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Feraligatr lost 65% of its health.
Feraligatr used Dragon Dance.
Feraligatr's attack was raised.
Feraligatr's speed was raised.

---
thecockroach switched in Milotic (lvl 100 Milotic ?).
Pointed stones dug into Milotic.
Milotic lost 12% of its health.
Milotic was hurt by Spikes!
Milotic lost 25% of its health.
Feraligatr used Waterfall.
It's not very effective...
Milotic lost 34% of its health.
Milotic's leftovers restored its health a little!
Milotic restored 6% of its health.
---
Feraligatr used Return.
Milotic lost 34% of its health.
thecockroach's Milotic fainted.
---
thecockroach switched in Altaria (lvl 100 Altaria ?).
Pointed stones dug into Altaria.
Altaria lost 25% of its health.
Feraligatr used Rest.
Feraligatr fell asleep!
Feraligatr's Chesto Berry cured its Sleep!
Feraligatr restored 89% of its health.
Altaria used Dragon Claw.
Feraligatr lost 22% of its health.
Altaria's leftovers restored its health a little!
Altaria restored 6% of its health.
---
Altaria used Dragon Dance.
Altaria's attack was raised.
Altaria's speed was raised.
---
Altaria used Dragon Claw.
Feraligatr lost 34% of its health.
---
Feraligatr used Return.
Altaria lost 94% of its health.
thecockroach's Altaria fainted.
---
A critical hit!
Mismagius lost 63% of its health.
thecockroach's Mismagius fainted.
---
thecockroach switched in Omastar (lvl 100 Omastar ?).
Pointed stones dug into Omastar.
Omastar lost 12% of its health.
Omastar was hurt by Spikes!
Omastar lost 25% of its health.
Omastar lost 62% of its health.
thecockroach's Omastar fainted.
Heysup wins!
thecockroach has left the room.

In this battle I didn't even need to weaken Milotic since I had Stealth Rock + Spikes, but the point was that Feraligatr can take Random attacks and find moments to set up.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
I guess the problem I have is that generally chesto rest setups usually like to switch in on a lot and set up from there. This thing has a tough time really switching into anything and since when I used it I was fairly limited to bringing it in after a kill i felt that with the resulting switchin I would have been much better off either having a life orb or swords dancing as this elongated setup doesn't really have that much payoff. These are my experiences of course and I'm still willing to be swayed but if anyone else is encountering the same situations I am please let me know.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
After loads of months rooting here, I'm approving this guy. Change the Speed EVs to 140 though, it's all it needs to beat base 105s after a Dragon Dance. Also, is there any huge reason those EVs were invested into SpD and not HP though? Milotic still has a huge chance of 3HKOing you with HP Grass anyways, while Weezing has low ones of 3HKOing you when using the HP spread.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Better late than never! Agreeing with what Bluewind said. Weezing still has a low chance of 3HKOing you with an HP investment spread, while Milotic still has a high chance of 3HKOing Feraligatr with Hidden Power Grass, even with that SpD investment.
QC approved 2/2

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I guess I didn't make myself clear before, but the SpD EVs should go into HP. Against the SpD spread, Milotic gets a minimum of 98.50% after 3 HP Grasses IIRC, while I'm pretty sure Thunderbolt from Weezing will 3HKO you.

You asked me to add this to the GP queue, but I'm not really happy with the level of detail you have in the set writeup right now. When you take hot glances at franky's notes, you'll notice that basically everything in "partners" or "counters" is missing from your writeup. You should absolutely include all of this information in a second AC paragraph before this gets any GP checks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)