Drifloon (LC Analysis)

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

flooooooooooooooooooooon~

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/drifloon

This is my first C&C analysis, so don't kill me if I make a trillion and a half mistakes ._.

QC APPROVALS: 3/3 [KANNON] [HEYSUP] [KD24]

GP APPROVALS: 2/2 [JC104] [WHISTLE]

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Drifloon is Little Cup's often overlooked Ghost. As he is not as bulky as Duskull and not as strong or as fast as Gastly, Drifloon seems to be inferior. However, Drifloon's unique ability, Unburden, allows him to double his speed while gaining HP courtesy of Oran Berry or boosting his Special Attack courtesy of Petaya Berry. With a Speed boost under his belt, Drifloon can be a very threatening sweeper in Little Cup.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting
move 4: Substitute / Thunderbolt
item: Oran Berry
nature: Modest
ability: Unburden
evs: 116 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpA / 8 SpD / 120 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to fix Drifloon's low Special Attack through Calm Mind and to obtain a Speed stat of 30 while healing with Oran Berry.</p>

<p>Calm Mind is Drifloon's only reliable boosting option. It allows Drifloon to reach a Special Attack stat of 24 after one boost and an astounding 32 after two. Drifloon can also set up on weak special attackers and Sucker Punch users with Calm Mind. Shadow Ball is Drifloon's best STAB attack and has perfect neutral coverage when combined with Hidden Power Fighting. In the final slot, Substitute gives Drifloon an easier setup by protecting him from attacks and status. It also eases prediction during Drifloon's sweep, especially against Sucker Punch users. Substitute is also useful for reliably activating Unburden. Thunderbolt can be used to hit Stunky for massive damage and also hits Water- and Flying-types hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wynaut is a great partner because he can Encore attacks that Drifloon is resistant or immune to so that Drifloon can set up. Stunky is quite problematic for Drifloon, so using a Gligar is advisable to counter Stunky.</p>

<p>Explosion or Destiny Bond can be used in the final spot to let Drifloon go out with a bang. Hypnosis can also be used in the final spot, but its lackluster accuracy prevents it from being a main option.</p>

<p>The EVs give Drifloon enough Speed to reach 30 Speed after Unburden, which lets Drifloon outrun all +1 Pokemon in Little Cup except for Diglett, Elekid, and Voltorb. The spread also maximizes Drifloon's low Special Attack while maintaining respectable bulk. </p>

[SET]
name: SubWisp
move 1: Substitute
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Thunderbolt
evs: 196 HP / 196 SpA / 116 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more defensive approach to sweeping, allowing Drifloon to burn and cripple his counters early on before sweeping a weakened team with a boost from Unburden.</p>

<p>Substitute allows Drifloon to both scout for counters and activate Unburden and Oran Berry. Shadow Ball is Drifloon's STAB attack of choice again. Will-O-Wisp is primarily for Munchlax and Stunky, neither of whom will enjoy a burn. Thunderbolt is the coverage move on this set because unboosted Hidden Power Fighting being very weak.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since this set does not have the power of the first set, it has different counters. Chinchou is a problem since Oran versions only suffer a 3HKO from Shadow Ball while OHKOing back with Thunderbolt. Munchlax comfortably walls Chinchou and can hit back with Earthquake or STAB Return.</p>

<p>The EVs on this set give Drifloon 28 HP so that Unburden can be activated in two Substitutes instead of three. The Speed EVs allow Drifloon to reach 30 Speed after Unburden, and the rest is dumped into Special Attack.</p>

[SET]
name: Late-Game Cleaner
move 4: Thunderbolt / Calm Mind
item: Petaya Berry
evs: 196 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpA / 8 SpD / 40 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While this set does not have the bulk of the previous two sets, it has a much easier time setting up and sweeping in the end-game.</p>

<p>Substitute allows Drifloon to reduce his health by 25% each time, eventually activating Petaya Berry and Unburden at the same time. With this Drifloon reaches 24 Special Attack and 28 Speed, outrunning and hitting hard most of the metagame. Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting provide perfect neutral coverage. Thunderbolt gives Drifloon better coverage, while Calm Mind can allow Drifloon to gain additional boosts if the opportunity arises.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Munchlax and Stunky create problems for this set. They can hit Drifloon hard with Pursuit or in the case of Munchlax, Ice Punch as well. A Lure Gastly can significantly help this set, being able to lure out Munchlax and Stunky and use Explosion on them. </p>

<p>Explosion or Destiny Bond can be used in the last slot if you have another sweeper that can greatly benefit from the removal of a troublesome Pokemon. Sucker Punch is also an option to thwart the attempts of opposing Sucker Punch users.</p>

<p>The EVs give Drifloon 28 HP, which allows him to activate Petaya Berry in three Substitutes instead of four. Due to the fact that this Drifloon needs to run 28 HP and the IV loss from Hidden Power Fighting, only 14 Speed is run. The only loss is tying with 19 Speed Choice Scarfers, who are rather rare. The remaining EVs are put into Special Attack.</p>

[SET]
name: Lead (v1)
move 1: Destiny Bond / Explosion
move 3: Sucker Punch
item: Focus Sash
nature: Hasty
evs: 116 Atk / 196 SAtk / 196 Spe
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This uncommon lead set allows Drifloon to almost always get one kill, and sometimes even two or three. It uses a combination of Unburden and moves such as Destiny Bond, Explosion, and Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Being a Ghost-type, Drifloon is immune to the common Fake Out. In addition, the Focus Sash protects it from Meowth's Bite and Aipom's Shadow Claw. Drifloon can then Destiny Bond or Explode to take out the lead. Additionally, Drifloon can sometimes take out leads on its own using Shadow Ball, Sucker Punch, or Thunderbolt. An example is Kabuto, who is KOed by Thunderbolt followed by Sucker Punch. Drifloon can then get another kill using Unburden and Destiny Bond or Explosion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>One of the troublesome leads for this set is Snover. Snover deals 72% - 96% to Drifloon with Ice Shard. This means that with Protect, hail damage, and Ice Shard, Snover can defeat Drifloon without taking damage except from Sucker Punch, which will not do much to Snover. Most lead Snover run Protect, meaning that Exploding on Snover is no easy task. For this reason, it is best to run a Fire-type such as Ponyta or Growlithe to destroy Snover.</p>

<p>The EVs and IVs are used to get Drifloon down to his sash by minimizing his defenses. Maximum speed is run to outspeed Kabuto so that it cannot break Drifloon's sash unless he forgoes Stealth Rock. The rest is put into Special Attack to strengthen Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt.</p>

[SET]
name: Lead (v2)
move 1: Trick
move 2: Destiny Bond / Explosion
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 116 HP / 4 Def / 196 SpA / 4 SpD / 116 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to take out two or more Pokemon on the opposition's side by using Trick to cripple the lead and Destiny Bond or Explosion with Unburden to get a KO.</p>

<p>Trick allows Drifloon to lock the opposing Pokemon into a move, hopefully a support move. Tricking also activates Unburden, giving Drifloon 30 Speed. With this high speed stat, Drifloon can take out a Pokemon with Destiny Bond or Explosion. Sucker Punch and Shadow Ball are there in case using Destiny Bond or Explosion is not necessary. Sucker Punch guards against the priority that is omnipresent in Little Cup.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Lead Kabuto causes this lead problems if he Rock Slides on turn one. Drifloon will survive, use the Focus Sash most lead Kabuto have and activate Unburden to Destiny Bond and cause a double KO. However, it will cost Drifloon's life. Kabuto is prevented from accomplishing his main goal, using Stealth Rock. Lead Buneary causes this lead trouble with Klutz and Encore, but is easily worked around by most Pokemon in Little Cup. Snover can cause problems with Protect, but Ice Shard cannot OHKO this Drifloon without a critical hit and Drifloon can use Trick to lock Snover into a move, allowing it to be easily killed by a teammate. However, Snover does appreciate the Choice Scarf and becomes quite a potent revenge killer. For this reason, it is good to run a Fire-type with this Drifloon.</p>

<p>The EVs give Drifloon maximum bulk while retaining 16 Special Attack and 15 Speed before Unburden.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>For the Calm Mind, SubWisp, and Late-Game Cleaner sets, Wynaut support is welcome. Getting a free Substitute or Calm Mind can be game-breaking and the start of a sweep for Drifloon. Lure Gastly is also helpful for the first and third sets, as it can take out Munchlax and Stunky before Drifloon comes out.</p>

<p>The lead sets have troubles with Snover. Therefore, using Ponyta, Growlithe, or even Munchlax is advisable to kill Snover and preserve Drifloon. However, Munchlax can be 2HKOed by Wood Hammer, so be careful while switching into Snover.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Aside from the listed options, Drifloon has few other notable moves. Charge Beam is an alternate option to boost Drifloon's Special Attack. Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Stunky hard, but leaves Drifloon very weak to Munchlax. Baton Pass can be used to send Drifloon's boosts to other sweepers. Be aware that the Unburden boost cannot be Baton Passed, however. Thunder Wave can be used on a double status set with Hypnosis or Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Once Drifloon is set up, it is very hard to stop. Munchlax does a good job at stopping Drifloon, but can be shut down by a boosted Hidden Power Fighting or a Will-o-wisp. Stunky does the same and threatens Drifloon with Sucker Punch, but again loses to the SubWisp set. In general, Sucker Punch users greatly endanger Drifloon. If Drifloon does not have a Substitute or an Unburden boost, Drifloon can be easily outsped and KOed by Pokemon like Gastly and Staryu.</p>

<p>Both lead sets have problems with Snover, as previously stated. The second lead set also is stopped by Buneary. In general, things that can avoid taking Destiny Bond with Toxic or Will-O-Wisp do a good job at countering the lead sets.</p>

drifloon is somewhat bulky so im going to test a rest/chesto berry set, since you can basically rest right away after sr and get your speed boost and full hp

everything looks good for drifloon but id like to test a few sets and make sure nothing is outclassed by gastly. good job iss

I like the SubOran set, it should definitely go in this analysis. I think it's one of the more popular sets too.

iss

let's play bw lc!
@kd24: ChestoRest is quite intresting, but Drifloon really needs CM boosts or Petaya Berry to sweep, as it reaches a lowly 16 Special Attack without them. A Rest/Calm Mind/Shadow Ball/HP Fighting set could be plausible, and I will test it. Thanks!

EDIT:
<+iss> kd
<+iss> i have results from testing restfloon
<+iss> status: failure
<+iss> it's just lacking without substitute
<+iss> 4mss
<%emblem> ol
<%emblem> lol
<%emblem> k
<+iss> imean i could run something like sub/cm/rest/shadow ball/hp fight/tbolt then it would be good

@Heysup: SubOran is very similar to my first set. I have used it before, and found that without Calm Mind it is regulated to sweeping a very weakened team. I will put a mention of using Substitute over Calm Mind in the AC of the first set.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've used Drifloon a bunch, and I really like this set:

Drifloon @ Oran Berry
Timid Nature (+ Spe, - Atk)
116 HP / 196 Spe / 196 SpA
Unburden
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Using Substitute as a faster opponent attacks and takes your Oran Berry rocks, since you're sitting at good health with 30 Speed. I've found that Drifloon has enough bulk that it can generally do this.

HP Fighting is an option and probably could be slashed alongside Thunderbolt, but beating Mantyke (and other Waters) rocks and unboosted HP Fighting doesn't do enough to Munchlax anyway. Generally I just burn Lax and switch out (leaves me at ~25% iirc).

It's up to you, but I think that having both Substitute and Will-o-Wisp as main options is a good enough reason to make it a full set.

iss

let's play bw lc!
I like Dubs' set, will put it in the analysis shortly. It has big differences from the other sets (additionally removing wow from oc)
edit: added.
edit2: added two lead sets at the request of kannon. they really do work well!

iss

let's play bw lc!
OK, now that this is past QC, going to start working on it. Yay for one day approvals!

EDIT: I wrote up the whole thing. It's ready for GP checks.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
I reckon you should say in the Sub/Oran set that another ev spread of 36 HP / 8 Def / 200 SAtk / 8 SDef / 200 Spe. This gives us a more offensive version to Drifloon. You lose some bulk but are then able to outspeed Dugtrio, Elekid and Voltorb after the Unburden boost. Not a very major change but a I have tested this set and it does have potential on teams looking for a more bulky versio of Gastly but still have great offense.

iss

let's play bw lc!
I discussed this with macle earlier today. Scarf Diglett, Elekid, and Voltorb are really rare in LC and even scarf 19 speeders are rare. Really, the extra bulk is one of the secondary draws to Drifloon. Also, why are you using HP Fighting on Floon? It only 4HKOs Oran Lax without CM.

Also, I believe that 116 HP / 4 Def / 4 SDef is less bulky than 196 HP. I'm not sure why, however.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

<p>Drifloon is Little Cup's often overlooked Ghost.
Being As he is not as bulky as Duskull and not as strong or as fast as Gastly, Drifloon seems to be inferior. However, Drifloon's unique ability, Unburden, allows him to double his speed while obtaining an gaining HP gain courtesy of Oran Berry or a gain from boosting his Special attack courtesy of Petaya Berry. With boosts of speed a Speed boost under his belt, Drifloon can be a very threatening sweeper in Little Cup.</p>

[SET]
evs: 116 HP / 8 Def / 200 SAtk / 8 SDef / 120 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to fix Drifloon's low Special Attack through use of Calm Mind,
while obtaining and to obtain a Speed stat of 30 while healing with Oran Berry.</p>

<p>Calm Mind is Drifloon's only reliable boosting option. It allows Drifloon to reach a Special Attack stat of 24 after one boost and an astounding 32 after two. Drifloon can also set up on weak special attackers and Sucker Punch users with Calm Mind. Shadow Ball is Drifloon's best STAB attack, which when combined with Hidden Power Fighting,
it has perfect neutral coverage. In the final slot, Substitute gives Drifloon an easier setup (no mention of the fact that it eases prediction, protects from status moves etc.). Thunderbolt can be used to hit Stunky for massive damage and also hit Water- and Flying-types hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Drifloon appreciates opportunities to set up, which makes
. Therefore, Wynaut is a great partner for this Drifloon. Wynaut can Encore attacks that Drifloon is resistant or immune to so that Drifloon can set up Wynaut can Encore attacks for Drifloon to set up on its wide range of immunities and resistances. Stunky is also quite problematic for Drifloon, so using a Gligar is advisable to counter Stunky.</p>

<p>Explosion or Destiny Bond can be used in the final spot to let Drifloon go out with a bang. Hypnosis can also be used in the final spot, but its lackluster accuracy prevents it from being a main option.</p>

<p>The EVs give Drifloon enough Speed to reach 30 Speed after Unburden, which
outspeeds lets Drifloon outrun all +1 Pokemon in Little Cup except for Diglett, Elekid, and Voltorb, who are all rare. These are all rare. It also maxes The spread also maximizes Drifloon's low Special Attack while maintaining respectable bulk. </p>

[SET]
move 3: Will-o-wisp
evs: 196 HP / 196 SAtk / 116 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more defensive approach to sweeping, allowing Drifloon to burn and cripple his counters early on before sweeping a weakened team with a boost from Unburden.</p>

<p>Substitute allows Drifloon to both scout for counters and activate Unburden and Oran Berry. Shadow Ball is Drifloon's STAB attack of choice again. Will-O-Wisp is primarily for Munchlax and Stunky, neither of whom will enjoy a burn. Thunderbolt is the coverage move on this set due to unboosted Hidden Power Fighting being very weak.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since this set does not have the power of the first set, it has different counters. Chinchou is a problem since Oran versions only suffer a 3HKO from Shadow Ball while
it OHKOing back with Thunderbolt. Munchlax comfortably walls Chinchou and can hit back with a STAB Return or Earthquake Earthquake or STAB Return. </p>

<p>The EVs on this set give Drifloon 28 HP so that Unburden can be activated in two Substitutes instead of three.
Otherwise, The Speed EVs allow Drifloon again gets enough speed to reach 30 Speed after Unburden, and the rest is dumped into Special Attack.</p

[SET]
evs: 196 HP / 8 Def / 200 SAtk / 8 SDef / 40 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While this set does not have the bulk of the previous two sets, it has a much easier time setting up and sweeping in the end-game.</p>

<p>Substitute allows Drifloon
to Substitute down to 25% of its health reduce his health by 25% each time, activating Petaya Berry and Unburden at the same time. This gives Drifloon With this Drifloon reaches 24 Special Attack and 28 Speed, outrunning and hitting hard most of the metagame. Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting provide perfect neutral coverage. Thunderbolt gives Drifloon better coverage, while Calm Mind can allow Drifloon to gain additional boosts in case where the opportunity arises.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Munchlax and Stunky create problems for this set. They can hit Drifloon hard with Pursuit or, in the case of Munchlax, Ice Punch. A Lure Gastly can significantly help this set, being able to lure out Munchlax and Stunky and use Explosion on them. </p>

<p>Explosion or Destiny Bond can be used in the last slot if you have another sweeper that can greatly benefit from the removal of a troublesome Pokemon. Sucker Punch is also an option to thwart the attempts of opposing Sucker Punch users.</p>

<p>The EVs give Drifloon 28 HP, which allows him to activate Petaya Berry after three Substitutes instead of four. To account for the IV loss from Hidden Power Fighting, only 14 Speed is run. The only loss is tying with 19 Speed Choice Scarfers, who are rather rare. The rest is put into Special Attack.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This uncommon lead set allows Drifloon to almost always get one kill, and sometimes even two or three. It uses a combination of Unburden and
Drifloon's access to moves such as Destiny Bond, Explosion, and Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Being a Ghost-type, Drifloon is immune to the common Fake Out. In addition, the Focus Sash protects it from the Bite of Meowth and the Shadow Claw of Aipom. Drifloon can then Destiny Bond or Explode to take out the lead. Additionally, Drifloon can sometimes take out leads on its own using Shadow Ball, Sucker Punch, or Thunderbolt. An example is Kabuto, who is KOed by Thunderbolt followed by Sucker Punch. Drifloon can then get another kill using Unburden and Destiny Bond or Explosion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>One of the troublesome leads for this set is Snover. Snover does 72% - 96% to Drifloon with Ice Shard. This means that with Protect, hail damage, and Ice Shard, Snover can defeat Drifloon without taking damage except from Sucker Punch, which will not do much to Snover. Most lead Snover run Protect, meaning that Exploding on Snover is no easy task. For this reason, it is best to run a Fire-type such as Ponyta or Growlithe to destroy Snover.</p>

<p>The EVs are used to get Drifloon down to his sash, running minimum defenses. Maximum speed is run to outspeed Kabuto so that he cannot break Drifloon's sash unless it forgoes Stealth Rock. The rest is put into Special Attack to strengthen Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt.</p>

[SET]
evs: 116 HP / 4 Def / 196 SAtk / 4 SDef / 116 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to take out two or more Pokemon on the opposition's side by using Trick to cripple the lead and Destiny Bond or Explosion with Unburden to get a KO.</p>

<p>Trick allows Drifloon to lock the opposing Pokemon into
hopefully a support move, hopefully a support move. Tricking also activates Unburden, giving Drifloon 30 Speed. With this high Speed stat, Drifloon can hopefully take out something with Destiny Bond or Explosion. Sucker Punch and Shadow Ball are there in case using Destiny Bond or Explosion is not necessary. They also provide helpful attacking supplements on the switch to Drifloon's "counter" (sounds like you're suggesting Sucker punch on the switch lol).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Lead Kabuto causes this lead problems if he Rock Slides on turn one. Drifloon will survive due to the Focus Sash most lead Kabuto have and activate Unburden to Destiny Bond and cause a double KO, but it will cost Drifloon's life. However, Kabuto is prevented from accomplishing his main goal, using Stealth Rock. Lead Buneary causes this lead trouble with Klutz and Encore, but is easily worked around by most Pokemon in Little Cup. Snover can cause problems with Protect, but Ice Shard cannot OHKO this Drifloon without a critical hit and Drifloon can use Trick to lock Snover into a move, allowing it to be easily killed by a teammate
where it is now easy to kill for some Pokemon in Little Cup. However, Snover does appreciate the Choice Scarf and becomes quite a potent revenge killer. For this reason, it is good to run a Fire-type with this Drifloon.</p>

<p>The EVs give Drifloon maximum bulk while retaining 16 Special Attack and 15 Speed before Unburden.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>For the Calm Mind, SubWisp, and Late-Game Cleaner sets, Wynaut support is welcome. Getting a free Substitute or
a Calm Mind can be game-breaking and the start of a sweep for Drifloon. Lure Gastly is also helpful for the first and third sets, as it can take out Munchlax and Stunky before Drifloon comes out.</p>

<p>The lead sets have troubles with Snover. Therefore, using Ponyta, Growlithe, or even Munchlax is advisable to kill Snover and preserve Drifloon
for a later opportunity. However, Munchlax can be 2HKOed by Wood Hammer, so be careful while switching into Snover.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Aside from the listed options, Drifloon has few other notable moves. Charge Beam is an alternate option to boost Drifloon's Special Attack. Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Stunky hard, but leaves Drifloon very weak to Munchlax. Baton Pass can be used to send Drifloon's boosts to other sweepers. Be aware that the Unburden boost cannot be Baton Passed, however. Thunder Wave can be used on a double status set with Hypnosis or Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Once Drifloon is set up, it is very hard to stop. Munchlax does a good job at stopping Drifloon, but can be shut down by a boosted Hidden Power Fighting or a Will-O-Wisp. Stunky does the same and threatens Drifloon with Sucker Punch, but again loses to the SubWisp set. In general, Sucker Punch users greatly endanger Drifloon. If Drifloon does not have a Substitute or an Unburden boost, Drifloon can be easily outsped and KOed by Pokemon like Gastly and Staryu.</p>
GP check 1. Changes in bold and removals in red.

Your paragraphs and sentences are a little short and abrupt, so I tried to string a few clauses together, but you could do this more in places.

iss

let's play bw lc!
Thanks jc104! I implemented almost all of the changes. Only one more GP check to go!

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Drifloon is Little Cup's often overlooked Ghost. As he is not as bulky as Duskull and not as strong or as fast as Gastly, Drifloon seems to be inferior. However, Drifloon's unique ability, Unburden, allows him to double his speed while gaining HP courtsey courtesy of Oran Berry or boosting his Special Attack courtesy of Petaya Berry. With a Speed boost under his belt, Drifloon can be a very threatening sweeper in Little Cup.</p>

[SET]
evs: 116 HP / 8 Def / 200 SAtk SpA / 8 SDef SpD / 120 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to fix Drifloon's low Special Attack through use of Calm Mind, (comma) and to obtain a Speed stat of 30 while healing with Oran Berry.</p>

<p>Calm Mind is Drifloon's only reliable boosting option. It allows Drifloon to reach a Special Attack stat of 24 after one boost and an astounding 32 after two. Drifloon can also set up on weak special attackers and Sucker Punch users with Calm Mind. Shadow Ball is Drifloon's best STAB attack which and has perfect neutral coverage when combined with Hidden Power Fighting, has perfect neutral coverage. In the final slot, Substitute gives Drifloon an easier setup. It also by eases easing prediction and protects protecting him from status moves while Drifloon is setting up. Thunderbolt can be used to hit Stunky for massive damage and also hits Water- and Flying-types hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Drifloon appreciates opportunities to set up, which makes Wynaut a great partner for this Drifloon. Wynaut is a great partner because he can Encore attacks that Drifloon is resistant or immune to so that Drifloon can set up. Stunky is also quite problematic for Drifloon, so using a Gligar is advisable to counter Stunky.</p>

<p>The EVs give Drifloon enough Speed to reach 30 Speed after Unburden, which lets Drifloon outrun all +1 Pokemon in Little Cup except for Diglett, Elekid, and Voltorb. The spread also maximizes Drifloon's low Special Attack while maintaining respectable bulk. </p>

[SET]
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
evs: 196 HP / 196 SAtk SpA / 116 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Substitute allows Drifloon to both scout for counters and activate Unburden and Oran Berry. Shadow Ball is Drifloon's STAB attack of choice again. Will-O-Wisp is primarily for Munchlax and Stunky, neither of whom will enjoy a burn. Thunderbolt is the coverage move on this set due to because unboosted Hidden Power Fighting being is very weak.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since this set does not have the power of the first set, it has different counters. Chinchou is a problem since Oran versions only suffer a 3HKO from Shadow Ball while OHKOing but OHKO back with Thunderbolt. Munchlax comfortably walls Chinchou and can hit back with Earthquake or STAB Return.</p>

<p>The EVs on this set give Drifloon 28 HP so that Unburden can be activated in two Substitutes instead of three. The Speed EVs allow Drifloon to reach 30 Speed after Unburden, and the rest is dumped into Special Attack.</p>

[SET]
evs: 196 HP / 8 Def / 200 SAtk SpA / 8 SDef SpD / 40 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Substitute allows Drifloon to reduce his health by 25% each time, eventually activating activate Petaya Berry and Unburden at the same time. With this EV spread, Drifloon reaches 24 Special Attack and 28 Speed, outrunning and hitting hard most of the metagame. Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting provide perfect neutral coverage. Thunderbolt gives Drifloon better coverage, while Calm Mind can allow Drifloon to gain additional boosts if the opportunity arises.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Munchlax and Stunky create problems for this set. They can hit Drifloon hard with Pursuit, or in the case of Munchlax, Ice Punch as well. A Lure Gastly can significantly help this set, being able to lure out Munchlax and Stunky and use Explosion on them. </p>

<p>The EVs give Drifloon 28 HP, which allows him to activate Petaya Berry in three Substitutes instead of four. To account for the IV loss from Hidden Power Fighting, only 14 Speed is run. (it’s unclear whether the IV loss means Drifloon cannot reach more than 14 Speed, or whether the IV loss means Drifloon needs to invest an unreasonable amount of EVs to reach 15 Speed – you should clarify the previous sentence) The only loss is tying with 19 Speed Choice Scarfers, who are rather rare. The rest is remaining EVs are put into Special Attack.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This uncommon lead set allows Drifloon to almost always get one kill, and sometimes even two or three. It uses a combination of Unburden and moves such as Destiny Bond, Explosion, and Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Being a Ghost-type, Drifloon is immune to the common Fake Out. In addition, the Focus Sash protects it from the Bite of Meowth's Bite and the Shadow Claw of Aipom's Shadow Claw. Drifloon can then Destiny Bond or Explode to take out the lead. Additionally, Drifloon can sometimes take out leads on its own using Shadow Ball, Sucker Punch, or Thunderbolt. An example is Kabuto, who is KOed by Thunderbolt followed by Sucker Punch. Drifloon can then get another kill using Unburden and Destiny Bond or Explosion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>One of the troublesome leads for this set is Snover. Snover does deals 72% - 96% to Drifloon with Ice Shard. This means that with Protect, hail damage, and Ice Shard, Snover can defeat Drifloon without taking damage except from Sucker Punch, which will not do much to Snover. Most lead Snover run Protect, meaning that Exploding on Snover is no easy task. For this reason, it is best to run a Fire-type such as Ponyta or Growlithe to destroy Snover.</p>

<p>The EVs (what about IVs?) are used to get Drifloon down to his sash, running minimum by minimizing his defenses. Maximum speed is run to outspeed Kabuto so that it cannot break Drifloon's sash unless he forgoes Stealth Rock. The rest is put into Special Attack to strengthen Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt.</p>

[SET]
evs: 116 HP / 4 Def / 196 SAtk SpA / 4 SDef SpD / 116 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Trick allows Drifloon to lock the opposing Pokemon into a move, hopefully a support move. Tricking also activates Unburden, giving Drifloon 30 Speed. With this high speed stat, Drifloon can take out something a Pokemon with Destiny Bond or Explosion. Sucker Punch and Shadow Ball are there in case using Destiny Bond or Explosion is not necessary. Sucker Punch guards against the priority that is omnipresent in Little Cup.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Lead Kabuto causes this lead problems if he Rock Slides on turn one. Drifloon will survive, due to the use Kabuto's Focus Sash most lead Kabuto have and to activate Unburden, to and Destiny Bond and cause for a double KO, but it will cost Drifloon's life. However, Kabuto is prevented from accomplishing his main goal, using Stealth Rock. Lead Buneary causes this lead trouble with Klutz and Encore, but is easily worked around by most Pokemon in Little Cup. Snover can cause problems with Protect, but Ice Shard cannot OHKO this Drifloon without a critical hit and Drifloon can use Trick to lock Snover into a move, allowing it to be easily killed by a teammate. However, Snover does appreciate the Choice Scarf and becomes quite a potent revenge killer. For this reason, it is good to run a Fire-type with this Drifloon.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>For the Calm Mind, SubWisp, and Late-Game Cleaner sets, Wynaut support is welcome. Getting a free Substitute or Calm Mind can be game-breaking and the start of a sweep for Drifloon. Lure Gastly is also helpful for the first and third sets, as it can take out Munchlax and Stunky before Drifloon comes out.</p>

<p>The lead sets have troubles with Snover. Therefore, using Ponyta, Growlithe, or even Munchlax is advisable to kill Snover and preserve Drifloon. However, Munchlax can be 2HKOed by Wood Hammer, so be careful while switching into Snover.</p>

[Optional Changes]

[Counters]

<p>Once Drifloon is set up, it is very hard to stop. Munchlax does a good job at stopping Drifloon, but can be shut down by a boosted Hidden Power Fighting or a Will-o-wisp. Stunky does the same and threatens Drifloon with Sucker Punch, but again loses to the SubWisp set. In general, Sucker Punch users greatly endanger Drifloon. If Drifloon does not have a Substitute or an Unburden boost, Drifloon can be easily outsped and KOed by Pokemon like Gastly and Staryu.</p>

<p>Both lead sets have problems with Snover, as previously stated. The second lead set also is stopped by Buneary. In general, things that can avoid taking Destiny Bond with Toxic or Will-O-Wisp do a good job at countering the lead sets.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)