Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. This is already in the Smogon and Stark forum rules, but I will reiterate again do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?
Check the links in this topic before asking. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78983
Also read the first post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79340

How can I view an alphabetical listing of all the Pokemon threads?
Click here.

Can we breed Dream World Abilities?
From the research thread:
CONFIRMED Breeding a Dream World female parent with any male parent (but not vice versa) has a chance of giving the offspring its respective Dream World Ability. It is unknown whether Ditto counts as the female for this purpose, and we won't know until DW Ditto is released. (Maverick Hunter, 0mastar\The Shadow Knight)
Can you use Rotom's alternate forms over WiFi?
Yes.

Why can't I select a Pokémon to replace a fainted in a Pokémon in a Triple Battle?
First you have to select which Pokémon you want to have replaced. If multiple Pokémon fainted, the game doesn't know which Pokémon you want on which position. So what you have to do is first select one of your fainted pokemon, and then select which unfainted pokemon you want to replace it with. (Thanks Chieliee)

Is there going to be a big conglomerated thread like there was in Stark Mountain? It was nice having all the speculation and information in the same thread/place.

Hey, even though it's just speculation, which pokemon-natures do you guys think will be worth holding onto? Like Bold Milotic, Jolly Garchomp, Timid Jolteon, and Careful Snorlax will have their uses--can anyone think of possible differences that might arise?

Kind of depends on new Pokemon, new moves, and even new abilities. I think Nature preference leans heavily on what the Pokemon is expected to accomplish in a given meta.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kind of depends on new Pokemon, new moves, and even new abilities. I think Nature preference leans heavily on what the Pokemon is expected to accomplish in a given meta.
I completely agree with Tucker here. We don't know what new speed tiers the new pokemon will belong to, how hard they will hit, or how good their movepools are; I'd keep everything, since you'll be able to trade it to B/W when you get it anyway, and if it remains useful in the new metagame (or even better), then you have a great pokemon, without any extra work trying to train one again.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there going to be a big conglomerated thread like there was in Stark Mountain? It was nice having all the speculation and information in the same thread/place.
No. Sorry, that thread although fun for those who were always visiting it made it an absolute nightmare to learn anything from. We do not want megathreads here. Significant information should have its own thread. Speculation is no longer needed as the games will be out in a matter of days.

Every new Pokemon will likely have a thread dedicated to it. Same with interesting moves, items, and abilities.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Did anyone order DP/Pt/HGSS from playasia, if so when did it ship and arrive?
I did.

I also pre-ordered White in july.

If you're going to order one or have ordered one, then the first shipping date is 20/9 2010.

But remember, they go after a list. Me, for example, is at 358th place on White list. While there's a chance I will getit next, others don't. I might not even get it next. The Black list is even longer.

Then it's the shipping method and your location that comes into mind.

Give me these three:
Your order date
Your shipping method
Your location

Then I can give you an estimate. But remember that it's just a guess.

I did.

I also pre-ordered White in july.

If you're going to order one or have ordered one, then the first shipping date is 20/9 2010.

But remember, they go after a list. Me, for example, is at 358th place on White list. While there's a chance I will getit next, others don't. I might not even get it next. The Black list is even longer.

Then it's the shipping method and your location that comes into mind.

Give me these three:
Your order date
Your shipping method
Your location

Then I can give you an estimate. But remember that it's just a guess.
Ordered on Sunday, UPS (25$), United States.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ordered on Sunday, UPS (25$), United States.
This sunday?

I would guess you'll have to wait 1, 2 or even 3 weeks if you're unlucky. The shipping time would be around 2-4 days. That long. But that's just a guess.

I hope it helped.

Hey, even though it's just speculation, which pokemon-natures do you guys think will be worth holding onto? Like Bold Milotic, Jolly Garchomp, Timid Jolteon, and Careful Snorlax will have their uses--can anyone think of possible differences that might arise?
Pokemon who already held EV spread of 4/252/252 won't usually change from that much in the 5th generation metagame. Almost all of the physically-based or specially-based 4/252/252 sweepers won't see much changes in EV spread except the possibly of learning new moves. I.e. Timid Gengar, Jolly Garchomp, Timid Jolteon, Adamant Lucario, etc. Mixed Sweepers will have to alter some of their EV spread for the new competitions, otherwise. On the other hand, almost all defensive Pokemons will very likely need to adjust their nature and EV spread. I.e. Blissey, Skarmory, Forretress, etc; even these Pokemons are currently facing changes in nature and EV spread in the analysis as we're discussing.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Where can I view this wait list?
Ask them.

Remember that the wait list is longer for Black than White. And since the games might be region locked on the DSi, the list as become shorter. Many people as canceled their orders because of that. I've gone up 17 places. From 375 to 358. I think it keeps decreasing.

Ask them.

Remember that the wait list is longer for Black than White. And since the games might be region locked on the DSi, the list as become shorter. Many people as canceled their orders because of that. I've gone up 17 places. From 375 to 358. I think it keeps decreasing.
Do you have the email or page on their site where I could inquire about my place? Im pretty sure I ordered it the first day it was available for pre order.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Do you have the email or page on their site where I could inquire about my place? Im pretty sure I ordered it the first day it was available for pre order.
That would be like 11th of july or something like that. I think it was 2 weeks before my birthday or something like that. I don't remember exactly.

You just scroll down to bottom and click "Contact us". Then you select "Other comments and questions" and send your question.

That would be like 11th of july or something like that. I think it was 2 weeks before my birthday or something like that. I don't remember exactly.

You just scroll down to bottom and click "Contact us". Then you select "Other comments and questions" and send your question.
Ok I contacted them. I pre ordered on the 5th of July.. IIRC the box arts werent even up yet when I pre ordered. They did the same thing for D/P also, having the pre orders up during the 4th of July weekend... so I just compulsively checked it till it was up.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Ok I contacted them. I pre ordered on the 5th of July.. IIRC the box arts werent even up yet when I pre ordered. They did the same thing for D/P also, having the pre orders up during the 4th of July weekend... so I just compulsively checked it till it was up.
Ok. You shouldn't worry about getting the game. xP Me on the other hand, I don't know if I'll get it next week like you. Do hope so.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
To all of the people who are preordering Black or White, how are you planning on playing through it? Can all of the people understand Japanese, are they planning on just winging it or are they planning on using online resources. It's just that I thought about pre-ordering, but I breifly played through around two routes of a partially translated version of Soul Silver and it was impossible, because I don't speak any languages other than English.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
To all of the people who are preordering Black or White, how are you planning on playing through it? Can all of the people understand Japanese, are they planning on just winging it or are they planning on using online resources. It's just that I thought about pre-ordering, but I breifly played through around two routes of a partially translated version of Soul Silver and it was impossible, because I don't speak any languages other than English.
I just play through the games without any help. It worked with HG. You must use common sense and take time to explore things. Otherwise you won't get anywhere.
I read some things on serebii though.

Two quarters of Japanese lol, I think that's enough to at least read the hiragana/katakana, the rest I'll use online dictionaries to figure out what they mean, or just guess. Also, just using intuition or prior knowledge about mechanics goes a long way.

Ok. You shouldn't worry about getting the game. xP Me on the other hand, I don't know if I'll get it next week like you. Do hope so.
I wasnt worried just curious, haha... Im really hoping they ship mine Friday so I can get it Monday or Tuesday but that doesnt seem likely with the crackdown on "early copies" in the last 5 or so years.

BTW Hirako is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)