My favorite gen 4 team, needs to be perfected by the 18th!!!

Black and White are going to be released on the 18th in Japan so I felt it was the proper time to write a long rmt with my favorite team from the 4th generation. I started competitive battling by simply building rain dance teams and stuck with that idea for a while, after that I came up with a version of this bulky offense team, which got me to 1445 on the ladder (good for me personally). I never got close to that again because laddering can be so tedious, I messed around with semi stall and heavy stall for a while like a veteran but I realized bulky offense was the way for me to go.

I began competitive battling in fall of last year and after a while I decided Gyarados was my favorite set up sweeper, not only a favorite because of nostalgia but also the way it destroys anyone who isn't prepared for it. Common pokemon like Swampert, Scizor, Heatran etc. could do nothing to slow it down with a bulky set. Intimidate was also a nice feature, letting it set up on so many physical attackers. In the days of Latias I generally paired it with a Choice Band (recently scarf) Tyranitar to take care of its counters, the team that got me to my peak on the ladder looked like this-

I originally ditched this team because I lacked a hard counter for DDTar, but then I realized months later how much better it was than the stuff I was making and came back to it. All of these pokemon did their specific roles like bosses. It is still my favorite team, even more than my rain dance team which isn't constantly being adjusted. Now, near the end I have come up with another version. I can't bring myself to say its better because I haven't had time to play it and my original is the best Ive ever done but here it is in the building process right now-

A FWG core (I LIKED IT BEFORE IT WAS COOL) of bulky/balanced offense. The idea is a huge number of the pokemon that counter my sweepers (Vaporeon, Suicune, Rotom, etc.) are set up by on Roserade. From here it gets tough to decide which pokemon and which sets to use, and this I where I really need your help. Here is the best I could come up with and what may be my retirement team for the 4th generation-

My Final Version

The Details

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability- Clear Body
Nature- Adamant
EVs- 252 HP, 232 atk, 24 spe
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash/Iron Head
-Bullet Punch
-Explosion

Metagross has earned its place as one of my favorite leads because it is just so strong and reliable. Stealth Rock is a given, its vital for nearly every team and mine happens to run Spikes so the extra hazard is really appreciated. Meteor Mash is its signature move, and incredibly effective but I often find that Iron Head could do enough damage with 100% accuracy. Bullet Punch is for picking off Sash leads and paired with Lum Berry annoying leads like Roserade and Smeargle are dead. Explosion is a staple of this set, destroying anything that doesn't resist it and a bunch of things that do. Its my way to get a pokemon in for free (which this team loves) and get rid of Metagross when its at low health and would have no utility later in the game.
HP is maxed to take advantage of Metagross's natural bulk and maximize my chances of pulling off an Explosion. The remainder are split between attack and speed based on how much speed I think Empoleon will run today.

Fuego (Infernape) @ Life Orb
Ability- Blaze
Nature- Naive
EVs- 252 atk, 4 spA, 252 spe
-U-Turn
-Close Combat
-Overheat
-Mach Punch

I run a physically based mixape to help get rid of some of Gyarados's counters. U-Turn can mean a dead Starmie when I U-Turn/Pursuit it with Scizor, although LO Starmie will be killed by a +1 Bounce anyway. Vaporeon is 2hkoed by Close Combat which could open up a clean sweep when their alternate check is gone. Overheat for durr reasons and Mach Punch gives me some extra insurance against Lucario, Tyranitar, and Empoleon. Infernape has great synergy with Gyarados by continuing an onslaught of powerful physical attacks, slaying bulky waters, and bringing in stuff Gyarados laughs at like Crocune and Gliscor.

The EVs maximize the power of Close Combat, U-Turn, and Mach Punch while giving me the best chance of outrunning another Infernape possible.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability- Intimidate
Nature- Adamant
EVs- 156 HP, 72 atk, 96 def, 184 spe
-Waterfall
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Bounce

Gyarados is my main sweeper and the center of the team. I beefed it up so it could also be a check to physical attackers and Heatran if I needed it to be. My basic strategy is to Waterfall early on to scout for any revenge killers, Rotom or reckless Jolteon. Later, when there are no counters left Dragon Dance and Taunt put a lot of pokemon in a helpless situation. Normal checks like Starmie, Celebi, and Shaymin are put in their place by Bounce, letting me keep my +1 boosts without going to Scizor. I personally think its way better than Stone Edge now that Salamence and its Intimidate are gone. Overall this Gyarados does an excellent job plowing through a weakened team because a lot of pokemon can barely touch it besides dedicated checks with Electricity.

156 HP makes sure im never 2hkoed by Heatran's Life Orb Fire Blast, and the defense lets me survive 2 Choice Banded Quick Attacks from Scizor. The speed lets me outrun Scarftar and all those things below after a dd.

Roserade @ Leftovers
Ability- Natural Cure
Nature- Calm
EVs- 252 HP, 120 def, 136 spD
-Spikes
-Rest
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power Fire

Energy Ball is my stab attack, and all I need to take on Rotom and bulky waters. Spikes is the original point of using Roserade to take advantage of switch ins on my sweepers and set up another hazard which proves especially deadly with all the switches this team forces. After I found out Sleep Powder was illegal with Spikes I replaced it with Rest to stay alive much longer thanks to Natural Cure. I have HP Fire over Stun Spore because I thought it would be better to KO Forretress than make my frail Rotom take constant Paybacks.

I used to have a lot of speed when I had Sleep Powder but since its illegal with Spikes im using the standard defensive spread.

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Ability- Levitate
Nature- Timid
EVs- 4 HP, 252 spA, 252 spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Shadow Ball
-Trick

Rotom's job is to counter Gyarados and block Rapid Spin. I did have a scarf set but I have found it is too useless outside of those two things. So I decided to throw specs on it and try this monster everyone has been talking about. It cant take a +1 Life Orb Waterfall from Gyarados but it can OHKO Calm Mind Cune which this team also happens to be weak to. The jobs of a scarfer are covered already, Gyarados/Dragonite are revenged by Flygon and Lucario by Infernape's Mach Punch. This is gonna be a huge change in the 5th generation when Rotom-W becomes Water/Electric and all these overpowered ghosts come out (seriously one of them has 145 base spA).

Basic sweeper evs to make the most out of Choice Specs.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability- Levitate
Nature- Jolly
EVs- 4 HP, 252 atk, 252 spe
-U-Turn
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw/Stone Edge/Fire Blast

This slot used to be a scarf Rotom but I replaced it to help with Dragonite, Offensive Zapdos, and to compliment Scizor with U-Turn. The biggest choice I have to make with this pokemon is if it should replace Rotom or Scizor, because Scizor takes a lot of entry hazard damage. I chose to keep Scizor though because the extra U-Turn utility along with Infernape contributes much more to the overall synergy of the team and makes it much more annoying to play against. For the last slot I thought Dragon Claw would be the best option to beat Dragonite without using Outrage, because Stone Edge hits Gyarados and Zapdos only a tiny bit harder than Outrage and Ape's Overheat does more to Zapdos. Fire Blast is also getting thought because my team is becoming weaker to Skarmory.

Max speed and attack for obvious revenge killing purposes, the last 4 in HP.

Pokemon that deserve some thoughts

- Flygon could be a great fit in this team as a scarfer, which would make me a bit safer against Gyarados and Heatran while abusing spikes more effeciently, or as a mixed attacker which sounds really cool and would also patch up my Heatran weakness a bit. In the team now.

-Donphan wouldnt be as useful as Flygon because nowadays Tyranitar is the only common pokemon it can take advantage of. A set with Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, and Roar could be a great deal of support to this team though. Sadly, special attackers and water types are most of OU now so it has nothing to switch into. Your huge physical stats did not go unnoticed and hopefully in Black in White you'll have more oppurtunities to come in. Its sad that it can take even a +2 Close Combat from Lucario yet have no place in the current metagame.

-Forry is the lucky one, it has bulk and the typing to rapid spin in OU. If you think the older version of the team is better or I could really use the utility (Rapid Spin+Explosion) Forretress will be really useful.

Thanks for reading all the way through I really appreciate any help finishing up my 4th gen team.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Hello Yee well today is the day and I have a few suggestions for your team. Solid team no major weaknesses beside DD Dragonite and Offensive Zapdos. DD Dragonite easily sets up on Infernape with out minding any of it's attacks. It can also set up on any of Rotom-W's moves beside Trick and even Offensive variants dont mind the damage due to the lack of SpA evs. After +1 Offensive Dragonite can cause hazardous damage to your team even able to pull of a sweep. Offensive Zapdos in this case is actually very dangerous to your team instantly. Once in play your only true response to Zapdos is Roserade and after taking Thunderbolt it can be ko'd by Heatwave, and even if you do get off a Stun Spore that wouldn't do that much since it can Roost of later taken damage. By Tricking a Scarf to it would only make matters worse since it can out speed your whole team and revenge kill DD Gyarados with out taking any damage.

Even you are aware of what pokemon deserve some thought for this team. So I would suggest you use CS Flygon over Rotom-w. This provides your team the effective electric immune it deserves. Allowing you to switch into Zapdos' Thunderbolt and revenge killing with Stone Edge. Also being able to revenge kill DD Dragonite. Unlike Rotom Flygon can prevent these potential sweeps. Flygon along with Scizor provide you the beneficial U-turn scouting.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
U-turn | Earthquake | Stone Edge | Outrage

You should also consider using Rest over Stun Spore on Roserade. Leech Seed can only do so much for you. While Rest provides you more longevity in the long run allowing you to set up more layers of Spikes.

I agree with the above poster on your weaknesses to DD Dragonite and Offensive Zapdos, but I would NOT recommend replacing Rotom, because without it, other teams can Rapid Spin away your Spikes and SR without any trouble. Therefore, instead of Rotom-W, I would recommend changing Scizor to Flygon.

Ok I have replaced Scizor with Flygon after a lot of thought and changed Rotom to specs because its revenge killing purposes are filled already and im more weak to Suicune than Gyarados. Thanks for the rates they were really helpful and exactly what I was hoping for.

Solid team.

Notable Problems

• Agility Sweepers
I'm not going to elaborate on Dragonite and Zapdos, and they have already been mentioned by other raters and you've mostly patched up some of your weaknesses. However, certain speed boosting sweepers, especially Metagross (and Lucario, to a lesser extent) can prove troublesome to your primarily offensive team. The new Agiligross set runs a Jolly nature and enough speed to outpace Flygon, which is problematic since it can sweep through a lot of your team members after some residual damage.

Suggestions

• Replace Gyarados
I'm a bit hesitant to suggest this change, as Gyarados seems to be an integral part of your team. However, I feel that it's worth mentioning and perhaps trying out a SubCM Roar Suicune in its spot. You seem to already have enough checks to Lucario, and Suicune's bulk and neutrality to Stealth Rock could help you to sponge resisted attacks and shuffle around opponents to stack up entry hazards damage. Here is the set:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/196 Spe/60 SpA
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Substitute
- Roar

This isn't a very common or standard set, but I feel that it would benefit your team overall. The EVs in speed allow you to outspeed Adamant Lucario and Naive Heatran, with max in HP to give you 101 HP Substitutes. This means that you can set up on Blissey switch-ins with a combination of Substitute and Calm Mind. The nice thing about this Suicune is that you can stat-up and pose an offensive threat, while also allowing you to phaze away any opponents and rack up more Spikes damage.

Good luck with your team!

Well Agiligross only needs Zen Headbutt, Earthquake, and Thunderpunch to beat this team after Flygon is weakened enough. It also has an easy set up on Roserade. I agree that is a huge problem but I cant check everything, if I get rid of Gyarados I will be even more weak to Machamp. Right now thats my basic excuse because all of the small changes I have made so far were specifically made to compliment a bulky Gyarados with Bounce and im too tired to really break in Suicune properly.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My Rate

Great team
Weaknesses:

Agility Sweepers
As mentioned by the user above, you are pretty weak to AgilityGross and AgilityLuke. Agility Empoleon can also sweep through most of your team. You might try the SubRoarCM Cune he mentioned.

BlissCor
You are pretty hugely walled by the combo of Blissey and Gliscor. I would suggest utilizing Trick a little extra to take care of them.

Cresellia
Cresselia pretty much ends your game if you don't have Rotom. It can be taken care of though.

Fixes

Replace Gyarados
I know that you are reluctant to change Gyarados, but this will better the team. You will be able to kill Agility users, Cresellia, and Maybe even take down the BlissCor combo.

Really that's about it, sorry for the crappy rate, but basically pretty solid team. Come to me for any further team rates. GL!​

Well thanks for the rate but I really don't agree with you on those weaknesses. Agiligross, yes its a huge problem especially if it has Zen Headbutt over Meteor Mash. However, most AgilityLuke can't touch Gyarados at all and Infernape can revenge kill it easily. Empoleon again is easily revenged and Suicune doesn't do too much better against it than Gyarados.

Gyarados plows right through Blissey and Gliscor. Roserade sets up right on Blissey and Infernape can beat the pair if it times an Overheat well enough. As long as the Rotom appliance they likely have is gone I can go right through it and with Roserade on my team opposing Rotom are borderline useless.

Gyarados can beat Cress if it doesn't run Charge Beam. It will probably come in on Infernape and eat a U-Turn, followed by a switch to Gyarados or Rotom. Unless it has Charge Beam ive got nothing to really worry about.

Thanks for the rates though I really appreciate it and I feel like ive got a good team to retire with. I really wish I had some more time to play with this team on shoddy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)