Zapdos (Agility)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey smogon this is my first set so sorry if I post anything the wrong way. This Zapdos set is meant to be a late game cleaner which I think it could do very well, I haven't been able to test it since shoddy went down before I thought of this.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/zapdos

[SET]
Name: Agility Sweeper
Move 1:Agility
Move 2:Thunderbolt
Move 3:Heat Wave
Move 4:Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Grass
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs- 4 HP, 252 spA, 252 spe
Ability- Pressure

Why this set deserves to be on site-
-Takes advantage of that 125 spA to the fullest, reaching a stat of 498 with a Modest nature
-Makes an incredible late game cleaner, with HP Ice only Lanturn resists all your attacks
-Makes quick work of the 2 common revenge killers nowadays, Flygon and Jirachi
-Can set up easily by scaring off a bulky water, ground type, scizor etc.

The Power (assuming Modest Nature)-
Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP Naive Heatran- 70.7%-83.3%
Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP Timid Heatran- 63.3%-75%
Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP Tyranitar in SS- 42.1%-50%
Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP +1 Suicune- 74.3%-88.3%
Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP, 252 spD Snorlax- 34.6%-40.9%
Thunderbolt vs. min/min Rash Dragonite- 74.3%-87.3%
Heat Wave vs. Max HP Rotom-A- 47%-55.6%
Heat Wave vs. 4 HP Celebi/Shaymin/Jirachi- 88.9%-104.7%
Heat Wave vs. Max HP Celebi/Shaymin/Jirachi- 75.2-88.6%
Heat Wave vs. Max HP Metagross- 90.7%-107.1%

Set Comments-
-Zapdos NEEDS Stealth Rock and preferably Spikes to help wear down problem pokemon.
-Rapid Spin support is a massive help and gives you more time to fire off powerful attacks.
-Dual Screens can be useful to protect against weaker attacks and priority attacks, again letting you fire off more powerful attacks.
-Timid is an option to outrun most base 100s before Agility, always use max speed as Modest needs it to outrun things like non-scarf Dragonite, Gyarados, Togekiss, Suicune, and Heracross guranteed.
-The choice of Hidden Power depends on what you want to beat, HP Ice for Flygon and Bulky Dragonite, HP Grass for Swampert, HP Fighting if you really want to destroy Tyranitar, and HP Ground to do the same for Heatran.
-It is likely better to attack early game to leave a dent in any counters before attemping a sweep.

Teammates-
-Starmie is an excellent partner for this set. It lures in many potential problems for Zapdos early in the game while making it difficult for your opponent to set up Stealth Rock.
-Bronzong also has great synergy, setting up Stealth Rock and/or Screens while taking any Rock or Ice attacks aimed at Zapdos, making stuff like Swampert switch ins set up bait.
-Metagross/Jirachi can also set up screens with the same synergy. Metagross in particular absolutely destroys most special walls like Blissey and Snorlax.
-Swampert can be useful to set up Stealth Rock, counter Tyranitar and Heatran fairly well while racking up residual damage through Roar.
-In general youll want to reduce the amount of residual damage Zapdos takes coming in due to the lack of Roost and a softened up team thats easier to finish off.

Counters-
Depends on your choice of Hidden Power. The most failproof counters are Blissey, Snorlax, Specially Defensive Tyranitar, and Lanturn. Swampert can counter non HP Grass variants, taking less than 30% from any other Hidden Power. Status such as paralysis, poison, or burn will take it down very quickly thanks to Life Orb and possible SR damage.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
This was on the Zapdos analysis before and was removed for some reason.

Make sure to mention that you should use 29 HP IVs (to decrease Life Orb recoil), and also move those 4 HP EVs to Defense.

This is an alternative spread that allows Zapdos to take hits better:

Modest
112 HP/4 Def/252 SpA/140 Spe

This spread gives you a Life Orb number and enough speed to outspeed Scarf Starmie after an Agility.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here. Don't be afraid of consulting the rest of the sub-forum in order to be sure that what you're proposing hasn't been dealt with before ;) As you can see in that thread that I linked to, the QC team decided to merge Agility and Baton Pass sets as one, and the change is already onsite.

Feel free to try again in the future. Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)