Meditite (Analysis)

http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/meditite
[Overview]

• Pure Power boosts Meditite's attack to a whopping 28. That's the highest in the tier bar none.
  • This massive attack stat is backed by Fake Out, Bullet Punch, Hi Jump Kick (at 130 Base Power), and coverage moves.
  • Kind of slow-ish, but priority and Choice Scarf can remedy that.

[SET]
name: Priority Sweeper
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Brick Break / Hi Jump Kick
move 4: Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt
item: Life Orb
ability: Pure Power
nature: Adamant
evs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe

Set Description:
  • Meditite has an Attack stat of 28, 36 after Life Orb.
  • Fake Out + Bullet Punch OHKO a very large portion of the metagame. The Pokemon that survive this are generally KOed with Stealth Rock or are slower.
  • Brick Break hits hard enough and is very reliable. Hi Jump Kick is tempting, and even though it's very viable, it's quite risky since Meditite will undoubtedly OHKO itself if a Ghost-type switches in.
  • Ice Punch hits Flying-types that switch in.
Additional Comments:
  • Hi Jump Kick hits harder but is risky.
  • Zen Headbutt can be used over Ice Punch to get rid of Ghosts that resist Ice Punch and Bullet Punch.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Without Stealth Rock in play, Scyther survives Fake Out + Bullet Punch, especially if it comes in on the revenge kill and Meditite can't use Fake Out.
  • Slowpoke walls you to hell and back.
  • Fire/Ghosts and Water/Ghosts resist all of Meditite's Attacks and will likely let Meditite OHKO itself if it uses Hi Jump Kick
  • Duskull and Misdreavus survive Bullet Punch as well, but need to beware of Zen Headbutt when switching in.
  • A Pursuiter like Komatana or Stunky works well, as they can easily switch in and Pursuit-trap the Ghost- and Psychic-types.
  • Stealth Rock stops Scyther from switching in. A Spin blocker would be helpful to ensure that Stealth Rock is up.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Hi Jump Kick / Brick Break
move 2: Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: ThunderPunch
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Set Description:
  • Excellent power, Speed, and coverage while holding a Choice Scarf.
  • Not much can switch in.
  • Hi Jump Kick is for STAB.
  • Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt is for secondary STAB and good neutral coverage, it also is more reliable than Hi Jump Kick.
  • Ice Punch hits Flying-types including Gligar.
  • ThunderPunch hits Slowpoke, who otherwise walls you.
Additional Comments:
  • Once again, Brick Break is more reliable and is a viable option. However, without the power from Life Orb, Brick Break is far less impressive.
  • Zen Headbutt has flinch and more power. Psycho Cut is more accurate and a higher Crit chance.
Teammates Counters:
  • Without Stealth Rock in play, Scyther survives most of Meditite's attacks.
  • Slowpoke walls you to hell and back, but needs to beware of ThunderPunch.
  • Ghost-, Fire/Ghost-, and Water/Ghost-types resist most of Meditite's Attacks and will likely let Meditite OHKO itself if it uses Hi Jump Kick.
  • A Pursuiter like Komatana or Stunky works well, as they can easily switch in and Pursuit-trap the Ghost- and Psychic-types.
  • Stealth Rock stops Scyther from switching in. A Spin blocker would be helpful to ensure that Stealth Rock is up.

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3:
Brick Break / Hi Jump Kick
move 4: Return / Zen headbutt
item: Life Orb / Berry Juice
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Set Description:
  • If given a chance to set up, reaches a whopping attack stat of 42 (54 with Life Orb).
  • Bullet Punch OHKOes most faster Pokemon with Stealth Rock in play.
  • Usual Brick Break / Hi Jump Kick for STAB.
  • Return hits everything that isn't already taken care of, besides Hitomoshi and Pururiru.
Additional Comments:
  • Once again, Brick Break is more reliable and is a viable option. However, without the power from Life Orb, Brick Break is far less impressive. Still, with a Bulk Up or two, it generally suffices.
  • Berry Juice offers more opportunity to set up at the expense of Life Orb's power.
Teammates Counters:
  • Fire/Ghost- and Water/Ghost-types resist most of Meditite's Attacks and will likely let Meditite OHKO itself if it uses Hi Jump Kick.

[Team Options]

• Pursuiters are very crucial to success with Meditite, since once Ghosts are gone, Meditite can sweep.
  • Meditite breaks walls down quite easily, giving faster Pokemon an easy time sweeping.
[Optional Changes]

• Drain Punch is a very viable alternative Fighting-type STAB attack.
  • A Choice Band set would work, but most of the time it would end up with Meditite OHKOing itself or allowing something to set up. It's also too slow.
  • Special movepool is ok, but its Special Attack is not.
[Counters]
  • Slowpoke walls you to hell and back, but needs to beware of ThunderPunch.
  • Ghost-, Fire/Ghost-, and Water/Ghost-types resist most of Meditite's Attacks and will likely let Meditite OHKO itself if it uses Hi Jump Kick.

The bulk up set is fairly underwhelming, and I feel meditite doesn't have the speed or defenses to concern itself with setup moves. Your attack is so high you should juet be hitting things straight away.

I feel the choice scarf set should be the first set, since it meditite's best set by far, to be honest.

The bulk up set is fairly underwhelming, and I feel meditite doesn't have the speed or defenses to concern itself with setup moves. Your attack is so high you should juet be hitting things straight away.
Slowpoke. You have no counters with this set, and you do with the others. What happens when Medidite comes in on your Rock-type/Bronzor? You're not going to sit there and attack it, you're going to go to your check/counter. This removes all of them. Speed is also irrelevant. What survives a +1 Life Orb boosted Bullet Punch (with Stealth Rock) that is faster than Meditite?

Kannon said:
I feel the choice scarf set should be the first set, since it meditite's best set by far, to be honest.
In Gen 4 the priority set was the best but there's no point arguing about set order at this point; these are just theorymon analyses. In my limited testing, however, I still would disagree with you.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Unless I'm missing, shouldn't Drain Punch be at least mentioned somewhere now that it has 75 BP and 16 PP? Given Meditite's power I bet it can heal quite a bit and make him stick around longer.

Hmm, yea I'll mention it. Breaking screens is far more important in the Berry Juice metagame, but I'll definitely mention it.

mentions of BJ/Scyther should be removed when you get around to this.

Also I think Evolution Stone should be slashed into the first set (it makes Meditite a very solid Zuruggu switchin (at least compared to most Zuruggu switchins)), and should replace BJ in the Bulk Up set, especially now that Drain Punch is used over BB

This needs to be updated with the ban of Scyther and, and I think that Yamask and Elgyem should be exagurated more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)