Erufuun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erufuun

So Erufuun is a beast, even though he might not look the part at first glance. This is probably the single best user of Mischievous Heart in the game just because of the sheer diversity of what he can do.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

[Overview]
  • One of the most annoying Pokemon around with a high base Speed and access to Mischievous Heart.
  • An amalgam of support options are present in Erufuun's movepool, allowing it to really abuse its ability.
  • Relatively fragile, but can afford to invest in its defenses thanks to Mischievous Heart backing up no Speed investment.
[SET]
name: Erufffffffuuuuuuu (SubSeed)
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Encore
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Leech Seed / U-turn
item: Leftovers
ability: Mischievous Heart
nature: Careful
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

Set Comments:
  • This thing is the fastest Taunt user in the game, even faster than Deoxys-S.
  • It can stop Deoxys-S's setup without a hitch and then set up a Substitute or Leech Seed or Encore to be even more annoying.
  • Can be used effectively in the lead slot with U-turn over Leech Seed. The amazing thing about Erufuun is that even without any attacking move, nothing short of an ExtremeSpeed Pokemon can set up on it or it will get Encored into the setup move, if it could avoid getting Taunted in the first place.
Additional Comments:
  • Since Erufuun is not attacking, 252 HP EVs give it some longevity.
  • Defensive investment is used to soften blows that Erufuun's defenses otherwise wouldn't take very well.
  • A physically defensive spread with an Impish nature is viable as well.
  • 216 Speed EVs can be used instead of bulk, as 216 is the minimum Speed necessary to beat 252 Speed Timid Borutorosu to the Taunt.
  • Running minimum HP and instead investing purely in the defensive stats has its merits when Leech Seed stalling, as Leech Seed heals the same amount regardless of Erufuun's HP. If this amount if over 25% of Erufuun's HP (after Leftovers), this can let you outstall your opponent perpetually.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Erufuun can patch a lot of holes in his team just by having a +1 priority Encore. Setup sweepers like Swords Dance Doryuuzu, Garchomp, Borutorosu, and Randorosu are all checked by priority Encore.
  • Can function exceptionally well in the lead position to shut down Deoxys-S and other entry hazard setup Pokemon that don't lead off with Magic Coat.
  • Mischievous Heart Taunt also allows Erufuun to really benefit teams that absolutely cannot afford to have entry hazards set up from the get-go. Pokemon like Urugamosu appreciate the lack of Stealth Rock tremendously and has decent type synergy with Erufuun.
  • If used as a lead, be mindful of Magic Coat users who will attempt to bounce Taunt back at Erufuun, shutting it down and forcing it out.
[Team Options]
  • Erufuun is best as a hole-patching Pokemon if your team is particularly weak to specific setup sweepers.
  • Erufuun also makes an excellent stalling Pokemon, so Toxic Spikes support with bulky teammates are a great idea.
  • The best Toxic Spikes Pokemon to use alongside Erufuun are Tentacruel, which resists Erufuun's weaknesses perfectly.
[Optional Changes]
  • Can run Stun Spore for priority paralysis, even against those Pokemon that normally don't expect to be paralyzed like Randorosu, Warubiaru, and Doryuuzu.
  • Charm is actually surprisingly good on Erufuun because it can catch physical attackers that would normally go first against Erufuun. With special bulk, this makes Erufuun actually very bulky.
  • Cotton Guard is also beneficial in the same way that Charm is, but it doesn't force switches nearly as easily.
  • Erufuun can easily set up Sunny Day with priority, Taunt, and Encore on its side.
  • Can run priority Switcheroo on a Choice set or with a status Orb, but generally prefers a reliable item and the move slot for something else.
[Counters]
  • Faster Erufuun pretty much shut down Erufuun, and even if they Speed tie it isn't something you'll want to risk.
  • Opposing Grass-type Pokemon will be a real problem if you're running Leech Seed on Erufuun, since they can attack right away and force Erufuun out.
  • Fire-type Pokemon that attack with high PP moves like Flamethrower are a real problem for Erufuun. Fire Blast can usually be stalled out with priority Substitute and Leech Seed recovery.
  • Generally very frail even after investment, so powerful direct attackers will force it out if they cannot be stalled out by Erufuun's Substitute.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
+Speed and 252 EVs seem exorbitant to me - just to speed tie with other Erufuun. Unless you are planning to use SE U-turn against Starmie/Azelf, I don't understand all of that speed investment. There is a better argument for 216 EVs, but I feel that this remains excessive; Erufuun is so predictable that a Borutorosu is switching out anyway rather than risk being locked into e.g. grass knot.

It seems much more beneficial to me to run a +Def/+SpD nature with 0 speed EVs, and either split the remainder between both defenses or target special defense. U-turn would be no less effective because I can't envision a common situation where it would be used on something (faster than 267 speed) that is not expected to switch out.

Finally, Erufuun should only have 248 HP EVs, to create 4 substitutes (5 with leftovers).

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I agree with McGraw - in fact, I even went as far to run absolute minimum Spe (Relaxed and 0 Spe IV) to cushion Gyro Ball damage from the Nattoreis that I was constantly forced to Taunt and I never once regretted the lack of Speed.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Seconding what McGrue and Lee said. Erufuun simply becomes so much bulkier by putting the Speed EVs into Defenses.

Also why is the set called 'SubSeed' while the slot for Leech Seed is only a slash? I'd say mention U-Turn in the AC.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I agree with dropping all of the Speed in favor of defenses. With Impish and 96-136 Defense EVs, Erufuun's Substitutes will always survive a supporting Groudon's Dragon Tail unless that Groudon has an absurd amount of Attack investment. Some Defense also allows Erufuun to survive Swords Dance Rayquaza's +2 ExtremeSpeed and to take Zekrom's Lightning a bit better. Moreover, putting the rest in Special Defense provides a bit more security against resisted attacks from Kyogre.

I'm sorry, I'm new to Smogon Forums, though I've been playing on shoddy for more than an year and have also been playing PO for the last 2 months.

If you like, I've been using this set very effectively:

[SET]
name: Lead FUU
move 2: Protect
move 4: Leech Seed
nature: Calm

I've won several battles with the guys ragequitting cause this is simply very annoying.

Almost every non SE hit coming from the common leads will fail to do more than 50% damage. If the hit does more ~56% you first need to protect for lefties recovery.

The idea is to leech seed on the first or second turn (If its a SR lead or booster, taunt on the first, than leech seed it) and then proceed to protect and substitute.

It can beat DrizzleToad, SR leads, Stat uppers lead and can even be used to stop stat up sweepers mid game if you leech seed in the turn they SD, NP, Cheer up or whatever.

Lead Blaziken is the main victim of this set. Protect will make HJK take out 50% of its health with the miss. Fire Blast can be outstalled with Leech Seed + Protect + Sub + lefties. If they try to BP, is even better: take the stat up turn to leech seed and then taunt the BP.

Finally, I guess someone shall be able to arrange a better EV spread making leech seed suck much more damage while investing on both sides of Erufuun's defenses.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is Ubers, so lead Blaziken are nonexistant, and they're terrible in OU play as well. Drizzletoad is also not an issue, due to the existence of Kyogre.

However, for more Leech Seed recovery, try maxing defenses, as maxing HP gives less %HP back per turn than min HP.

Erufuun makes for a good staller too. When Erufuun gets sent out versus a lead spiker like skarmory, Eruufun can use taunt to prevent them from using spikes, and possibly encore them so they can't do anything, which will cause a switch out, and on the way in, Erufuun can use toxic or substitute depending on the pokemon sent out. You could also give it leftovers to heal substitute damage.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry, I'm new to Smogon Forums, though I've been playing on shoddy for more than an year and have also been playing PO for the last 2 months.

If you like, I've been using this set very effectively:

[SET]
name: Lead FUU
move 2: Protect
move 4: Leech Seed
nature: Calm

I've won several battles with the guys ragequitting cause this is simply very annoying.

Almost every non SE hit coming from the common leads will fail to do more than 50% damage. If the hit does more ~56% you first need to protect for lefties recovery.

The idea is to leech seed on the first or second turn (If its a SR lead or booster, taunt on the first, than leech seed it) and then proceed to protect and substitute.

It can beat DrizzleToad, SR leads, Stat uppers lead and can even be used to stop stat up sweepers mid game if you leech seed in the turn they SD, NP, Cheer up or whatever.

Lead Blaziken is the main victim of this set. Protect will make HJK take out 50% of its health with the miss. Fire Blast can be outstalled with Leech Seed + Protect + Sub + lefties. If they try to BP, is even better: take the stat up turn to leech seed and then taunt the BP.

Finally, I guess someone shall be able to arrange a better EV spread making leech seed suck much more damage while investing on both sides of Erufuun's defenses.
You can choose to lead with the non-lead set thanks to team preview

Mention Protect in AC at least. Protect + Leech Seed can be a really annoying combo (+ Protect gets priority with MH!!1)

erufffffffuuuuuuuuu indeed ...

QC approved 1/2

If this amount if over 25% of Erufuun's HP (after Leftovers), this can let you outstall your opponent perpetually.
Well, until you run out of Substitute PP...

Why not mention Protect somewhere? Leech Seed and Protect makes for a lulzy combo.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Changing the nature to Timid might be a good idea in order to out-speed other Mischievous Heart users.

Overall though, aside from Leftovers recovery and the ability to out-speed other Mischievous Heart users, Erufuun is greatly outclassed by Evolution Stone Monmen.
1: stop talking about outspeeding other mischievous heart users, nobody cared in ou and nobody cares in ubers

2: man quit stealin' my idea (but yeah, i agree)

Monmen basically absolutely outclasses Erufuun in terms of bulk, and since bulk is literally the only thing that is necessary, that means that Monmen outclasses Erufuun for the most part. Leftovers recovery is kinda meh to lose, especially since Monmen heals slightly more HP% per turn of Leech Seed than Erufuun.

1: stop talking about outspeeding other mischievous heart users, nobody cared in ou and nobody cares in ubers

Monmen basically absolutely outclasses Erufuun in terms of bulk, and since bulk is literally the only thing that is necessary, that means that Monmen outclasses Erufuun for the most part. Leftovers recovery is kinda meh to lose, especially since Monmen heals slightly more HP% per turn of Leech Seed than Erufuun.
1. it's pretty much what the set up here is trying to do so I'm just pointing it out

2. since you've pointed it out to me, I have to agree with you so I'm sharing your idea with others and I give you credit for such

The best Toxic Spikes Pokemon to use alongside Erufuun are Tentacruel, which resists Erufuun's weaknesses perfectly.
A minor nitpick, but Tentacruel is not resistant to Flying-type attacks.

Um, I just wanted to mention that if Magic Mirror Espy (and Xatu) comes in on erufuun's taunt e gets shut down. That plus Espeon (and Xatu) mostly shuts down Erufuun altogether.

Just thought I'd put this in.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

After some testing, I have concluded that SDS is right.

Closing this for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)