Kirikizan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

/

Kirikizian

Power Rangers? IN MY POKEMONS?

You know, random story. Once I had a dream where a Pokemon evolved into a Power Ranger; I believe it was Magneton. Guess I was close on predicting both of them existing but just in different times.

[Overview]
<p>This Power Ranger doesn't play nice like the ones that you watched on T.V. when you were five years old! Unlike a Power Ranger, Kirikizan is not agile, but it is able to withstand some devastating blows that aren't super effective such as Palkia's Aqua Tail in the rain. It also can't fight up close very well for some reason seeing as it is x4 weak to Fighting and weak to Fire- and Ground-type attacks. Kirikizan plays dirty; knowing tactics such as STAB Sucker Punch, Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, and Ankle Sweep. Much like a Power Ranger, Kirikizan has Competitive Spirit to help boost its offense greatly when the opponent wants to try to Intimidate it with their immense power. Kirikizan boasts immunity to Toxic Spikes, resists Stealth Rock, and has a grand total of nine resistances; Dragon being one of them. With an above average Attack base of 125, Kirikizan can pose a threat behind its STAB Sucker Punch so long as it finds a situation to set up Swords Dance, or simply go with Choice Band and forego setting up altogether. Just remember what happened to the bad guys when they didn't take the Power Rangers seriously and you'll realize that Kirikizan can cause trouble to offensive teams; both OU and Uber.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Brick Break / Ankle Sweep
move 4: Stone Edge / Night Slash /
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>

[Overview]
  • Interesting typing. Dark/Steel has 3 weaknesses (Fire, Ground, x4 weak to Fighting) while x2 resisting Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Rock, Steel, Dragon, and Rock, x4 resists Dark and Ghost, and finally immune to Psychic and Poison. Only Water, Electric, and Bug-types hit it for neutral damage.
  • 125 Attack, 100 Defense, and 70 base Speed. Perfect ingredients for a Rock Polish Pokemon, though it is weaker than Metagross when it comes to Rock Polish.
  • Competitive Spirit, which acts like a pseudo-Clear Body in that it nullifies Intimidate and boosts its Attack if any of its stats are lowered (note that Intimidate nullifies the Attack boost).
  • STAB Sucker Punch.
  • Weak HP and Special Defense to really take advantage of its typing. 65 and 70; respectively.
  • Semi-lacking movepool.
[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Stone Edge / Night Slash / Iron Head
item: Life Orb
ability: Competitive Spirit
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Comments
  • STAB Sucker Punch only loses to Absol with "strongest" priority user.
  • Brick Break gives Kirikizan a way to bust through Steel-types.
  • Night Slash is to keep Kirikizan reliable offensively. Since Sucker Punch doesn't always work, Night Slash will pick up some of the slack.
  • Stone Edge is just another reason for Zapdos to stay the fuck out.
  • Iron Head is there mainly for another coverage move that's slightly stronger than Night Slash while slamming on the Fighting trio that have Justice Heart as their ability. Pursuit also works well alongside Sucker Punch.
  • It's funny because it can set up on Scarf Garchomp (or any Dragon really) locked onto Outrage. Outrage does 36.2% - 42.8% to 0/0 Kirikizan, and +2 Outrage does 67.7% - 80.2% to 68 HP / 0 Def Kirikizan. The latter is with Life Orb, by the way.
Additional Comments
  • Ankle Sweep makes Jaroda on down slower than Kirikizan. Jolly can be used to outpseed Shaymin-S on down, but at the cost of loss of power.
  • If you want to use Adamant Tyranitar as a benchmark, 68 EVs of Speed can go into HP. Hell, you can even go as far as maxing HP on the set. Brave Bird from Skarmory now does 17.4% - 20.7%, while Surf from Life Orb Starmie won't OHKO (67.7% - 79.9% vs. 83.4% - 98.5%, which means there is a significant chance of a OHKO after Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock damage). This means Brick Break is needed as an option over Ankle Sweep.
Teammates & Counters
  • Pokemon like Infernape help make Kirikizan's life easier as Infernape punctures through physical walls better with its mixed attacking stats and powerful STABs. Heatran also is a great partner for roasting many Steel-types since Ankle Sweep is pretty ineffective versus Skarmory.
  • Paralysis support is welcome on the set. Not a lot is necessary thanks to Ankle Sweep, but nevertheless useful.
  • While Darkrai is weak to Ankle Sweep, it resists Sucker Punch and Night Slash, can use Dark Void to cripple Kirikizan, then set up Nasty Plot on its own.
  • The Fighting trio have Justice Heart to switch into Night Slash while receiving a free boost (at the cost of damage of course) and can knock Kirikizan's lights out with STAB Close Combat.
  • Choice Scarf Garchomp will always be faster than Kirikizan, barring Sucker Punch getting the first hit. Even so, Ankle Sweep does 26.8% - 31.6% and Night Slash does 46.4% - 54.7%. Sucker Punch does 52.8% - 62.3%. Watch out for Swords Dance Sucker Punches.
  • Non-Hasty Dialga can take two Ankle Sweeps and OHKO Kirikizan back with Fire Blast.
  • Hippowdon and Gliscor royally screw up this set. Randorosu as well, though it lacks recovery.
  • "Mindgames with Sucker Punch".
[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Night Slash
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Iron Head / Stone Edge / Swords Dance
item: Life Orb / Balloon
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Set Comments
  • Adamant reaches 478 Speed after a Rock Polish, which is enough to outspeed most Pokemon that don't wield a Choice Scarf. Jolly gets 524 Speed after a Polish, which is just enough to outspeed Scarf Infernape on down.
  • Brick Break is superior to Ankle Sweep since Kirikizan is boosting its own Speed.
  • Iron Head is for assurance versus Terakkion and Birijion. Iron Head deals 66.4% - 78.3% to 0/0 Birijion.
  • Competitive Spirit nullifies Intimidate, so it does have its niche for being one of the few Rock Polishing Pokemon that can nullify Intimidate (the other is Metagross).
  • Stone Edge is more for defensive Zapdos in general.
  • Swords Dance + Balloon is an interesting combo. Since many of Kirikizan's "counters" involve bulky Ground-type Pokemon, they will flinch when they find out their Earthquake isn't affecting Kirikizan.
Additional Comments
  • Sadly, without Night Slash, it is pretty inferior to Metagross in most, if not all regards when it comes to a Rock Polish sweeper. Rotom-A losing its Ghost-typing was the big nail against this set having a superior reason to use.
  • There is one way that Kirikizan can be superior to Metagross though, but it is a risky set-up and definitely involves Kirikizan scaring something off on the switch. Swords Dance and Rock Polish can work, in theory, so long as Kirkizan is built to withstand damage. You would probably have to nullify Life Orb to pull it off though, and maybe take away Attack EVs for HP. Don't try this though; it simply doesn't have the bulk.
Teammates & Counters
  • Obviously, you -need- Stealth Rock and possibly every other entry hazard to make this set work.
  • Any Phyiscal wall can take this set pretty well. Just make sure they're not weak to Night Slash or Brick Break.
  • If it's not late game at all... this set really isn't too hard to handle sadly. It really relies on the team being weakened.
  • Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave are huge priorities against this thing.
[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Ankle Sweep / Brick Break
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Pursuit / Iron Head
item: Choice Band

Set Comments
  • Sports an above average Attack stat of 574 after Choice Band.
  • Sucker Punch, while somewhat unreliable, gives Kirikizan a priority attack to accommodate its low Speed.
  • Brick Break can be used over Ankle Sweep; however, Ankle Sweep gives Kirikizan an advantage of pulling faster Pokemon down a peg.
  • Stone Edge is for, once again, giving Zapdos another reason to stay out of its way.
  • Pursuit is definitely an option here since it can force Pokemon out, though Iron Head gives Kirikizan a secondary STAB move.
Additional Comments
  • Nothing much to add other than Payback or Night Slash can work.
Teammates & Counters
  • Once again, "Sucker Punch mindgames" suck.
  • Very slow outside of priority and not strong enough to bust through walls.
  • If it's not locked onto Sucker Punch, Dugtrio can easily shut it down on the revenge kill. Magnezone can take it down if Kirikizan isn't locked onto Ankle Sweep.
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Night Slash
move 2: Brick Break
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Stone Edge / Iron Head
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Comments
  • Outspeeds Shaymin-S on down.
  • Pursuit is still pretty threatening on Azelf, Starmie, Alakazam, Latias, Latios, and Gengar.
  • Night Slash is for a consistent STAB attack. Sadly, Iron Head does a lot worse against a lot of the new Pokemon.
  • Stone Edge is to target Zapdos and Borutorosu.
  • Iron Head can be used as a secondary STAB option. It has the added benefit of hitting Birijion neutral while hitting Terakkion for Super Effective damage.
Additional Comments
  • Sadly, Adamant is still short on Positive 115s. Kirikizan ends at 358 Speed, though it does outspeed Jaroda on down. Still fairly significant as its Pursuit is more powerful than Jolly Tyranitar's (and note that Adamant Tyranitar can't even outspeed Garchomp).
  • Adamant can use Sucker Punch to attempt to make up for the loss of outspeeding base 115s.
Teammates & Counters
  • This thing is pretty weak. Hell, Choice Scarf Garchomp can outspeed it or take 32.7% - 38.5% from one Night Slash. Yeah, it's pretty bad.
  • It's even easier to counter since, if it can get a kill, it will be locked onto a move that has either an immunity or resist often.
[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Night Slash / Payback
move 3: Ankle Sweep / Brick Break
move 4: Stone Edge / Pursuit / Toxic
item: Leftovers / Life Orb

Set Comments
  • It is an interesting Pokemon in that it learns both Stealth Rock and STAB Sucker Punch, but sadly neither are compatible with each other (fuck you Gamefreak). It even has Inner Focus as an ability; making it a viable Anti-Lead.
  • Ankle Sweep is for after Stealth Rock has already been laid and other Pokemon switch into Kirikizan.
  • Stone Edge is to keep Zapdos out while Pursuit allows it to trap Pokemon such as Ghost-types slower than Kirikizan. Sadly, of the new ones, Shandera is faster than Kirikizan.
  • Since Kirikizan is a big magnet for Ground-type Pokemon, Toxic is a great move to cripple the bulky Ground-type when it switches into Kirikizan.
  • Leftovers gives Kirikizan some recovery while Life Orb makes Kirikizan an offensive Stealth Rock layer.
Additional Comments
  • Brick Break can work over Ankle Sweep if Dual Screens prove to be a bigger problem. Ankle Sweep helps on non-Scarf Heatran though as even without Life Orb Ankle Sweep does 41.5% - 48.9%.
  • Thunder Wave (or Scary Face) are options to consider, but when bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon are harmed more by status being induced onto it Toxic is better.
  • You can fore go Ankle Sweep and stick with max HP / max Atk Kirikizan if you'd like. Remember that Kirikizan is still bulky enough to take a Life Orb Surf from Timid Starmie, which despite seeming like a weak benchmark, is good enough to threaten Starmie with Pursuit as it is a common Pokemon that utilizes Rapid Spin. Pursuit 2HKOes max HP / 4 Def Starmie while Surf can fail to 2HKO max HP Kirkizan! It takes 41.3% - 48.8% damage from Starmie's Surf.
  • Spinners such as Tentacruel and Forretress can take advantage of Kirikizan sadly, so Taunt is an option to keep them from laying any other entry hazard.
Teammates & Counters
  • Doryuuzu resists Night Slash, isn't OHKOed by Ankle Sweep, and can spin away Kirikizan's entry hazard while threatening to OHKO Kirikizan with STAB Earthquake.
  • Usual Physical Walls still wreck this set, though Bulky Ground-types need to be aware of Toxic screwing them up.
[Team Options]
  • Anything to take down Physical Walls. Infernape and Heatran, despite their weaknesses being shared with Kirikizan, do well with taking care of those. Heatran has to beware from Blissey and Bulky Water-types in particular, but is a decent target for many other threats.
  • Choice Scarf Pokemon that has a goal of cleaning up Pokemon with moves that allow it to set-up while Sucker Punch is being used. Scarf Garchomp is a good Pokemon thanks to its natural bulk, excellent Dual STABs, 102 Speed, and good power.
  • Bulky Water-types are a good answer for Bulky Ground-types. Vaporeon has the benefit of being able to pass Wish onto Kirikizan, while Swampert will lay Stealth Rock.
[Optional Changes]
  • Psycho Cut can be used to exterminate Fighting-types.
  • It learns Mean Look, which could prove interesting with niche sets.
  • Metal Burst can work in theory by bouncing back an Earthquake from Gliscor or Hippowdon.
[Counters]
  • Bulky walls such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Gliscor work very well. Skarmory will have to resort to using Whirlwind, while Hippowdon and Gliscor can slam at Kirikizan with STAB Earthquake. Groudon is a great counter as well since it can set up on certain Kirikizan sets.
  • Sucker Punch's downfall on failing in some circumstances.
  • Mach Punch / Vacuum Wave Pokemon make great checks for this thing thanks to its x4 weakness to Fighting-type attacks. Roobushin and Lucario make Kirikizan's life miserable.
  • Terakkion, Birijion, and Kobaruan outspeed Kirikizan, resist its Dark-type attacks (while receiving a free Attack boost) and shuns Kirikizan out with STAB Close Combat.
  • In general, Fighting-types become a huge threat for Kirikizan as its only answer to them is Aerial Ace. Nageki, Hariyama, and Roobushin don't mind taking unboosted attacks from Kirikizan.
[Dream World]
  • Kirikizan gains Pressure as a Dream World ability. Yeah... nothing very useful in comparison to an ability that nullifies Intimidate's effect or Inner Focus being useful for Anti-Suicidal Leads.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Swords Dance should most definitely be an option on the Offensive set.

Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Ankle Sweep / Brick Break
Stone Edge / Night Slash / Iron Head

would be my preferred set-up.

A few mechanics notes:
Competitive Spirit raises Attack when any stat is lowered.
Ankle Sweep always lowers Speed.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Guess that answers my question with merging Swords Dance and offensive sets together unless I'm reading what you're saying with Competitive Spirit. So if I lower the opponent's stats, even that gives Kirikizan an Attack boost? Or do you just want me to note that Competitive Spirit raises Attack if any stat is lowered?

Must be also missing the merit for Stone Edge as a permenant slot in the fourth slot. I'm guessing Zapdos, which makes sense. Regardless, I'll make it the main option.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
STAB Sucker Punch ties Honchkrow with "strongest" priority user. Oddly enough Honchkrow outspeeds it by 1 base Speed. <___<;
Absol is stronger than both by 5 base Attack.

Speaking of Absol, I agree with Stellar. I'm surprised that Swords Dance isn't the main option on the offensive set. From my experiences with Absol, Sucker Punch absolutely wrecks things after a Swords Dance with Life Orb. However, unlike Absol, this thing trade only 5 base Attack and 5 base Speed, as well as Super Luck for a billion more resistances (ie. opportunities to set up), a reliable Fighting move, double STAB, as well as the ability to cancel out Intimidate with Competitive Spirit, which is very useful (at least that's the impression I'm getting from the research).

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I was referring to this:

Competitive Spirit, which acts like a pseudo-Clear Body in that it nullifies Intimidate and boosts its Attack if any of its stats are lowered (note that Intimidate nullifies the Attack boost).

If any of Kirikizan's stats are lowered, not just Attack, its Attack is raised.

For example, if the opponent used Tail Whip on Kirikizan, lowering its Defense, its Attack would rise. Lowering the opponent's stats will not give you an Attack boost.

I just think your description of Competitive Spirit as a "pseudo Clear Body" is not very accurate to say the least.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I was actually making Swords Dance a separate set at first, but I guess it's not a bad idea to just merge the two sets and note that it can use 4 attacks instead if it wants to. I expanded more on the Competitive Spirit being a pseudo-Clear Body (I meant that it nullifies Intimidate, and it's pretty much the main stat-lowering ability) and most Pokemon won't use stat-lowering attacks. Usually it's those with side-effects, and I can't see too many instances where it'd face such scenarios. I mean okay it takes 47.2% - 55.9% from Scarf Shaymin-S's Seed Flare, but... meh...

Might need suggestions on the Stealth Rock set. It has a lot of weird options to consider, and I think those that don't exercise being a lead should use Toxic to fuck off bulky Ground-types as well.

Actually I thought of something really stupid to make the Rock Polish set look more appealing. It doesn't work well with Hippowdon due to Roar, but Swords Dance + Rock Polish can be viable under the condition with... DUNDUNDUN a simple 3 year old's favorite item:

[14:33:49] <@Colonel_M> Ground-types have Earthquake to shut it down
[14:34:01] <@Colonel_M> Unless you tie a balloon to your Kirikizan
[14:34:10] <@Colonel_M> Which would make SD + RP work kind of
[14:34:38] <@Colonel_M> Rock Polish as Gliscor comes in, Swords Dance to only find out that Gliscor misses with Earthquake, get another free Swords Dance

+4 Night Slash does 68.6% - 81% to 252 HP / 0 Def Gliscor too. Actually, that makes it sound really cool as Brick Break + Night Slash have near-perfect coverage which Metagross commonly fails to have with its STAB options. Sucks that Night Slash still can't OHKO it, but Earthquake does 71.5% - 85.4%, Ice Fang does 7.6% - 9.4%, and Stone Edge does 11.8% - 14.2%. That means at max it does 99.6% damage sadly... gah so close. I guess Adamant always assures +4 Night Slash will OHKO (85% - 100.3%) at the cost of being outsped by another Pokemon with Choice Scarf. Ice Fang might be more common though, but I think the better option would be just to go for the 2HKO on Gliscor and not waste your time with two Swords Dances. Even if Gliscor is Impish though, +4 Night Slash will 2HKO.

...Thoughts on those?

Will also add Mach Punch / Vacuum Wave being checks to Rock Polish set when I get home tonight.

EDIT:I think SR + Sucker Punch is illegal. I have to look more thoroughly.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
It's long, but done. Honestly though, if you're not using the first set, I'm really questioning why you'd use Kirikizan at all sadly. Lacking movepool in some areas (this thing could really use a better Fighting-type move), too slow of Speed, etc. It makes me a little sad inside, but at least I found some weird niches with this thing nevertheless.

Man why do all the cool Pokemon get the short end of the stick?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Alright, after some testing, this dude should really get an Ubers analysis. It's surprisingly effective. STAB Sucker Punch hurts a lot, even before a Swords Dance. I'm thinking Choice Band should also work in the same theory, though Sucker Punch now becomes switch-weak and it could provoke set up Pokemon. Eh... I know Swords Dance can work for sure.

Dumb log with a max Palkia and Lustrous Orb using Aqua Tail on Kirikizan in the rain:

The foe's Palkia used Aqua Tail!
Kirikizan lost 279 HP! (83% of its health)

Kirikizan used Swords Dance!
Kirikizan's Attack sharply rose!

Rain continues to fall!
The foe's Palkia is hurt by poison!
Fireburn[TESTING]: WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY
Fireburn[TESTING]: HOW DID THAT THING LIVE
Tyranel M: WHAT
hhjj: 100 BASE DEFENSE

I used Kirikizan in a Trick Room team pretty effectively. It x4 resists Ghost and Dark, which is a common weakness for setters. Also, Sucker Punch helped for when TR was down. It's speed isn't great either, which is good, but my only concern is that it might not be low enough...

to anyone with any confusion. competitive spirit sharply raises attack. so in the case of intimidate it would end up +1. also i really like this pokemon. once it becomes obvious his only viable set is swords dance sucker punch he'll be too predictable and easily just WoW'd or something. but for now i use this and use its shiny form only because it is so damn cool looking. his movepool is disappointingly shallow but right now since p-o is meant for testing and having fun ive tried to make him work.

kirikizan @ life orb
competitive spirit
adamant
4 hp 252 atk 252 spd
swords dance
sucker punch
brick break
psycho cut

pretty bad coverage moves if u ask me, and honestly these are some of his best options. stone edge and iron head is really the extent of it past this. brick break is useful for tyranitars since theyre generally very slow unless its running a scarf. gen 5 so far is made for testing and having fun which ive done with this guy. i picked him just because he looks so cool and when i saw his horrible movepool i almost ditched him but i decided to try SD sucker punch and its decent so far. you can easily set up on a choice scarf shanderaa's shadow ball and kill it the next time it tries to come in and fire blast you. this guy will be UU no doubt in my mind. but he could probably be decent there. anyway power rangers ftw!

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Substitute seems like it might be a good option on the Swords Dancer, though if you use Sub, Life Orb might not be the best idea.

The reason Sub seems like a good idea is that you not only protect yourself from stuff like Will-O-Wisp, but against many foes, their only option is to try and break the sub. This, of course, eases your prediction with Sucker Punch. If the opponent tries being cute while you're behind the Sub and tries to set up their own stat boosts or spam Recover or something, you can just Swords Dance again. They've gotta attack you sometime, and when that time comes, they'll take a Sucker Punch to the nads. This also protects you from Ditto (if you're playing Dream World tier). The only thing you're not really protected from is if the opponent themselves uses Substitute, but then again, unless it's a Subbing Ghost, the Sub will probably fall to Brick Break after a SD.

I'd at least put it as an option in the last slot of the Swords Dancer.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Tested Substitute in Ubers today. Mixed results, IMO, but maybe it's because I do hate Sucker Punch in some situations when it should work and I always wish it had more PP. Sadly you can't be reckless with Kirikizan; Sucker Punch can be your best friend or your worst enemy. This is also why I've considered the Choice Band set.

Anyway, mixed results on the Sub Dancer in Ubers. Like Bologo said, it can provoke the opponent more to attack, but it also could spell your demise if you're a Ghost-type or Wobbuffet. I know this sounds so dumb, but priority from the opponent can actually prove to be a disadvantage against you. In WiFi you don't know how many times I wanted Pressure over Competitive Spirit (which due to no real Ubers having Intimidate it's rather useless) just to make sure ExremeSpeed isn't the reason my Sucker Punch PP runs out. THANKFULLY it does resist most of the priority seen in Ubers (Bulet Punch, Shadow Sneak, and ExtremeSpeed). What a dumb mechanic with Sucker Punch though.

Can't speak OU for Substitute. For Ubers, it works I guess, but it feels like AC material for sure. Probably not worth a slash though just because you desperately need Night Slash to keep up on the mind games.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Did some more testing, and I'm going to do some more. Hopefully I can provide logs, but Theorymon also said he was going to take Kirikizan for a spin in DW, so we'll see how that goes. In DW it definitely works better (I haven't played it but I definitely can see clearer results). Scarf Shadow Tag Shandera becomes Kirikizan's friend just because of what Kirikizan's major issues involve around; Steel-types, are easy prey for Shandera in the sun. Even if someone runs something weird like Pursuit Tyranitar, it's just free bait for Kirikizan to set up on. Though, I guess, Scarf Tyranitar would be a bit dangerous wouldn't it?

Two other teammates that seem solid: Giratina-O and Mewtwo. Giratina-O's weaknesses, oddly enough, are resistances for Kirikizan. The same speaks for Kirikizan's weaknesses that are resisted thanks to Giratina-O's typing. Giratina-O can handle Groudon fairly well and it does "okay" against Ho-oh. Drawing in the Dragon-type attacks are the key deal since they're likely behind Choice items at times. This gives Kirikizan a free Swords Dance; especially if it's after a Draco Meteor was fired off previously. Mewtwo's purpose is simple: it wears down stall teams that otherwise trouble Kirikizan a bit. I'm telling you man, it's crazy how Mewtwo doesn't even need fucking Calm Mind just to leave a path of destruction.

Honestly, any layer of spikes works, though Stealth Rock is a must just because of Ho-oh. I found Toxic Spikes to work well since it wore down the other annoying Pokemon (think Ghost and Normal Arceus, Groudon too) while regular Spikes limits the amount of times the opponent can switch in constantly. It's either damage that racks up quickly or slow and painful direction. Pity that the only Pokemon that learns Toxic Spikes and can absorb them (and isn't completely dead weight in Ubers) seems to be Tentacruel thanks to its massive Special Defense.

As far as teams, Jibaku made one for me that worked alright. It was severely Darkrai-weak I guess, and maybe I felt really irritated that Focus Blast from CM Ghost Arceus kept missing constantly (and hence why I heavily considered going back to SD Ghost Arceus). I've used Groudon in the team, which gives a mixed result only because Kirikizan doesn't want the Fire Blasts to increase in damage (though to be fair, it is only likely to take a Fire move in the rain).

Anyway, random calculations with Sucker Punch. First at +0:

- vs. Hasty Palkia - 62.9% - 74.1%
- vs. Timid Palkia - 57% - 67.3%

Pretty much a half health Palkia is going to be dead from Sucker Punch.

- vs. 0/0 Mewtwo - 112.4% - 132.8%

Nice tactic to have against it too. You just have to be really careful with how many times you can Sucker Punch sadly. That's probably the biggest flaw it has. Fuck Pressure man.

- vs. 0/0 Giratina-O (Naive) - 83% - 98%

So even before a Swords Dance, Sucker Punch can be pretty useful purely for revenge killing (though like I said: careful on Mewtwo).

That's about it. If it was Dream World, I think I'd give this guy an analysis for sure. Dream World? It seems likely at least, though rough I guess.

The overall conclusion is I'm only writing Swords Dance for it. That's about it, unless someone can attest to something like Thunder Wave. I think Trick Room deserves a nod in AC / OC.

this thing needs bullet punch, but anyway. on paper this guy seems kinda sucky, but I've seen them in action and they are truly...not that bad. I can see it getting to at least BL. Also it's shiny form looks like megaman.

I think it's worth mentioning that Kirikizan can also serve as a competent lead. A friend of mine and I both run a relatively successful 4-attack lead set that looks something like this:

-Ankle Sweep
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head
-Stone Edge
item: Focus Sash
ability: Inner Focus

Ankle Sweep on the first turn can bring a lot of common leads speed down just enough for him to outspeed, and on faster setup leads, he can keep going until his sash breaks, then hit hard with his other three attacks. Inner Focus allows it to beat pretty much any leading Kojondo with an Ankle Sweep/Iron Head combo.

Of course, there are other leading options you can use as well. Thunder Wave can cripple Ghosts that can't have their speed dropped by Ankle Sweep, and it can also set up Rocks.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Colonel_M and I talked about this 'mon; we decided user [Zangoose] will handle the write-up and else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)