Presenting: Team Entomology

Entomology

This team is probably one of my most successful ones ever (yes I say that every RMT I make, but I mean it this time). It's based on the most simple idea offense has: luring and KOing a sweeper's counters. Scyther, Donphan, and Houndoom work as a team to get the opponent's Ghost out of the battle as soon as possible, letting Heracross sweep.

Scyther in particular works very well with Heracross as a "double bug" strategy. Most people would assume that Heracross will break walls for Scyther. However, I have figured out that the opposite is much more effective. CB Scyther's U-turn is far more effective at luring and KOing Heracross's counters because it can damage + force them out, not allowing them to recover or even cause any harm. Scarf Heracross also has the benefit of being faster than standard Scyther as well as being more powerful than Scarf Scyther. It's the perfect balance of power and Speed.

Now presenting team Entomology:
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Team Entomology:

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Scyther (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit

Role: Scyther is one of my favorite leads simply because it gives me momentum early in the match. I could list what it does on the top 10 leads, but frankly it is simply just "U-turn". Scyther's role later in the game is very crucial to the team. Scyther lures in Ghosts, checks Heracross, and sweeps late game. Part of the "double bug" strategy.

Moveset:
Choice Band set. I keep thinking that I should get rid of QA for something like Bug Bite or Brick Break but it's saved me so many times against Sucker Punch Doom and Absol.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Max/Max, Jolly, and Choice Band to deal maximum damage as fast as possible.
--------------------------------------------------

Houndoom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 228 Spd / 28 SAtk
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Hidden Power Rock / Taunt

Role: I'd love to say that Houndoom has a very simple role, but it doesn't. Houndoom, primarily, is my Ghost/Psychic trapper. However, as you can tell, I also do not have a Fire-type resist besides Houndoom. Houndoom isn't one of those Pokemon that I can just throw away for that reason in particular. It is my initial Moltres switch in, as well as Ghost.

Moveset: Standard MixDoom but with Hidden Power Rock in the last slot to beat Moltres and nail Arcanine.

EVs, Nature, and Item: 310 Speed to outpace Rotom, Max Atk, and the remaining EVs is SpA for maximum damage.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Def
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Role: Simple. Checks every physical threat. Sets up Rocks. Rapin Spins. With 2 Pursuiters, and 3 Ghost-lures on my team, the likely hood of a Ghost being alive is slim-to-none. If a Ghost comes in when I Rapid Spin, I'll absolutely sacrifice most of Donphan's health to KO it. This will allow me to sweep with Heracross much more easily.

Moveset: Standard Rapid Spin set, but with Head Smash to 2HKO Heracross after it switches into Earthquake (or even Rapid Spin).

EVs, Nature, and Item: With 200 Attack, Donphan 2HKOes / OHKOes what it needs to with Head Smash and Earthquake. 252 HP and 56 Defense allows it to easily take two Adamant Scarf Megahorns from Heracross if all else fails.

Venusaur
(M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis

Role: This is my favorite Venusaur ever. It's fast enough, bulky enough, and powerful enough to do what it needs to do. It survives two Ice Beams from Milotic, OHKOes Milotic every time, and 2HKOes Heracross. It also fucks up Arcanine on the switch. It checks Azumaril and other waters that my team would otherwise have a little bit of trouble with. I used to have Azumarill in this spot, but other Water-types gave me too much trouble. It also lures and Sleeps Moltres, Scyther, and Ghosts, which is always helpful.

Moveset: Standard LO Saur. Sludge Bomb and Leaf Storm dominate everything while Sleep Powder temporarily removes a Pokemon from the battle. Synthesis gives it the ability to recover health instantly.

EVs, Nature, and Item: 136 Speed EVs puts Venusaur at 230, outpacing Timid Omastar and min Speed Uxie. After this, SpA is maximized with a Modest nature, and the 120 EVs remaining go into HP.

Rotom
@ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

Role: Rotom is one of the most useful Pokemon in the metagame. It is yet another Heracross revenge killer, with the addition of beating Moltres. Most importantly it lures and beats non-CB Sneak Spiritomb, allowing me to Spin much more easily. Rotom also obviously blocks Spin as well as checks Swellow and Scyther.

Moveset: SubLO Pain Split is a great set. It beats many Pokemon, and then afterwards severely cripples a wall while healing itself at the same time.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Life Orb, Max speed, and Max SpA allow maximum damage. Pretty self-explanatory.

Heracross
(M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Megahorn

Role: The cleaner and revenge killer. Heracross makes an excellent Scarfer simply because it also functions well against stall. It can switch into any status against stall and cause shit.

Moveset: CC + Megahorn are my sweeping tools, while Stone Edge hits Pokemon like Scyther and Moltres for quick OHKOes. Aerial Ace is put there for the sole reason that it OHKOes other Heracross.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Well the EVs and item are self-explanatory. Adamant vs Jolly is up for debate. I've always liked Adamant simply because it gives me much more sweeping power. However, Jolly is not out of the question to outpace opposing Heracross and Scarf Venusaur.

So yea, if you find anything I can improve, please do tell. Otherwise, I hope you enjoyed it.

Threat list:

Absol - Often a free switch-in for Heracross, but Donphan checks it easily.

Aggron - Donphan checks, Heracross revenges.

Alakazam - Houndoom and Scyther Pursuit it when possible, Heracross revenge kills it, and Donphan survives Psychic and OHKOes back...but it's a fucking bitch to play against.

Altaria - DD variants are rocked by Donphan. It doesn't even wall Venusaur.

Ambipom - Donphan takes Fake Out and tries to KO something on the switch since they usually Taunt first, and at worst they U-turn away.

Arcanine - Donphan and Houndoom check him but it's tough to handle outside of that. To be honest, in most matches it comes in on Venusaur can gets his ass kicked by Sludge Bomb which KOes most variants after SR.

Azumarill - Obviously as an offensive team Azumarill is kind of hard to switch into, but Venusaur does a surprisingly good job with 120 extra HP EVs.

Blastoise - Venusaur stomps Blastoise.

Blaziken - Mixed Blaziken would cause me trouble if it switched into a Megahorn, simply because my Fire-resist is weak to Fighting, but with careful switching I can get Scyther in on Vacuum Wave. Other variants can't reliably get passed me without very good prediction, and I have numerous revenge killers.

Chansey - lol.

Claydol - Heracross plows through it, Scyther beats it, Houndoom beats it most of the time.

Clefable - Heracross. Scyther. I used to use Taunt on Houndoom to deal with this but I really don't need it.

Donphan - I generally switch Rotom into Earthquakes and Rapid Spin, while trying to predict with Venusaur for Assurance or SE.

Drapion - Donphan

Dugtrio - Donphan. Scyther Pursuits Choiced ones.

Exeggutor - 4x bug weakness vs double bug team. Do the math.

Feraligatr - Venusaur survives most of its attacks, especially since SD ones will assume I'm faster. Otherwise I have Heracross, Scyther, and Houndoom to beat it down.

Hariyama - Scyther.

Heracross - Rotom. Scyther. AAce Heracross. Houndoom. Head Smash Donphan. Modest Venusaur. What is it going to do? Offensive Restalk variants are kind of hard to beat though.

Hitmonlee - Similar to above but I see it less and it doesn't get raped by Houndoom.

Hitmontop - Read Hitmonlee.

Houndoom - It sucks because I usually have to switch my Houndoom into it, but I have HP Rock and they don't.

Kabutops - Eh. Rain Dance teams are Rain Dance teams. If I keep rain from getting set up, then I have no problem with Kabutops. Otherwise..yea it hurts.

Kangaskhan - For some reason I've never had trouble with this mon, but looking at my team now it seems that I should. Donphan is my best bet, followed by revenge killing.

Lanturn - Venusaur.

Leafeon - Venusaur. Scyther. Heracross.

Ludicolo - 120 HP EVs do wonders against Ludicolo.

Mesprit - Houndoom Pursuits this motherfucker.

Milotic - Venusaur. Isn't even 2HKOed by Ice Beam. Also I have Rotom.

Miltank - Heracross plows through and likes Toxic.

Mismagius - Houndoom.

Moltres - It's a Heysup team, of course it has trouble with Moltres. I generally do OK with Hidden Power Rock on Houndoom though.

Omastar - Venusaur.

Primeape - Rotom. Heracross. Scyther. Donphan. Venusaur.

Registeel - Donphan is almost always my main switch in unless a) I want to reveal Heracross and b) he's a Toxic variant.

Rhyperior - Donphan. Heracross revenge kills RP variants if needed.

Rotom - Houndoom.

Sceptile - Venusaur. Scyther. Heracross.

Scyther - Donphan. Rotom. I need to be careful against Scyther though.

Slowbro - Venusaur.

Spiritomb - Yummy WoW. The hardest part about dealing with Spiritomb is deciding which Pokemon I want to switch into WoW. Houndoom or Heracross? (obviously the latter).

Steelix - Donphan.

Swellow - Rotom. This is basically why I have Rotom, anyway.

Tangrowth - Venusaur. Scyther. Heracross. Houndoom.

Torterra - Heracross makes a great check. Scyther can switch into Stone Edge-less variants, and Houndoom does good as well.

Toxicroak - Scyther. Rotom does good too with Substitute.

Uxie - Pursuit this biatch.

Venusaur - Yea I guess I need something to take the sleep, but otherwise it's nothing special.

Weezing - Yummy WoW. Rotom does well too.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Who sleep absorbs for your team? This looks like a potential issue (though admittedly it can be played around), especially when you haven't scouted their team enough, and you lack the knowledge about who will/won't help you. Dropping AA on hera for sleep talk seems like a halfway decent solution, as nothing likes taking a +1 attack from an adamant heracross, especially when prediction can't help them. The fact that choice items and sleep talk are glitched sucks, but it seems like a decent solution to a potential problem, and most people will have switched their counter into hera after 1 attack anyways.

It looks like a great team, when all I can really see wrong with it is suggesting a moveslot change. Missing a Blaziken though, fix that.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Hey, sup?

Great team you've got here Heysup, but I recommend you definetly put HP Rock over taunt on Houndoom, otherwise Moltres does have an easy time with your team. (You also narrowly beat me in yesterdays Smogon Tour, my subroost moltres fairly well against you, plus there was a 20% chance that I'd win, if only Stone Edge has missed just once more...)

Who sleep absorbs for your team? This looks like a potential issue (though admittedly it can be played around), especially when you haven't scouted their team enough, and you lack the knowledge about who will/won't help you. Dropping AA on hera for sleep talk seems like a halfway decent solution, as nothing likes taking a +1 attack from an adamant heracross, especially when prediction can't help them. The fact that choice items and sleep talk are glitched sucks, but it seems like a decent solution to a potential problem, and most people will have switched their counter into hera after 1 attack anyways.

It looks like a great team, when all I can really see wrong with it is suggesting a moveslot change. Missing a Blaziken though, fix that.
Hehe no room for Blaziken here.

I've definitely been considering using Sleep Talk on Heracross, but I generally just absorb sleep with the least useful Pokemon.

Hey, sup?

Great team you've got here Heysup, but I recommend you definetly put HP Rock over taunt on Houndoom, otherwise Moltres does have an easy time with your team. (You also narrowly beat me in yesterdays Smogon Tour, my subroost moltres fairly well against you, plus there was a 20% chance that I'd win, if only Stone Edge has missed just once more...)
Yea, I agree with HP Rock.

Nas

Banned deucer.
The team looks great, I only have one small suggestion. Change Venu's spread to 108 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 148 Spe, this will allow you to outrun Jolly LO Torterra and beat it before it Earthquake's you. I know it's not that common, but unless 120 Hp EVs brings you something special it would be worth it just in case, and you are kind of Torterra weak if your opponent is amazing at prediction. :P

Yea, I just figured that basically no Torterra run Jolly, or at least I've never seen one. The 12 EVs are probably worth it if I ever do face one, so thanks for pointing that out.

Mhm, just have one small suggestion, why not change pain split on rotom to charge beam, as the current set for rotom your using, is outclassed by Haunter/ Mismagius. Other than that, great team you got there.

Mhm, just have one small suggestion, why not change pain split on rotom to charge beam, as the current set for rotom your using, is outclassed by Haunter/ Mismagius. Other than that, great team you got there.
Rotom has unique typing for starters, has better defenses than Haunter who will never perform better than Rotom in the UU enviroment, also Pain split is used to compensate for the health lost to Substitute+Life Orb. Also if Heysup used Charge Beam he wouldn't get too many up before dying to a revenge killer since Life Orb would put Rotom in such poor condition and you lack recovery so inevitably you will only last a couple of turns at most.

Haunter who will never perform better than Rotom in the UU enviroment
That's going a bit far, don't forget haunter has a base 115 spAtk as well as 95spd, while rotom only has 95 and 91 respectively. In terms of typing/bulk Rotom can hardly take any hits in the first place so that is really irrelevant and rotom's electric typing doesn't bring about much resistances whereas haunter gets an additional 4xresist to bug and poison (as well as grass!). Oh,and I meant charge beam with lefties sorry. Verbatim?

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sup man,

Great team, UU offense at its best. I feel that burdening Donphan with Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock sort of limits its tanking potential, and it is very likely that it will only have the time to perform one job, as Donphan doesn't exactly force switches. I don't feel like making a change that will seriously damage your offensive synergy, but consider replacing Scyther with an offensive Uxie. Uxie still provides you with a reliable check to Fighting types, but it importantly takes a huge load of Donphan's back. It also has the ability to lure in Pokemon that Heracross simply gets a free switch-in on, via U-turn. Psychic and Energy Ball provide nice coverage, and an Expert Belt provides enough power to OHKO Heracross with SR and defensive Omastar, both relevant threats to your team. It doesn't take away from your team's speed or offensive nature, and gives you an additional check to Alakazam. It also lures in and 2HKOs Rotom, allowing Donphan to spin more effectively. Max Sp Atk, enough speed for Rotom and the rest in HP sounds like a decent spread.

Since a moveslot has opened on Donphan, you can consider a few options, namely Ice Shard to kill off any Rotom or Mismagius who somehow survive Head Smash. It gives you additional priority and a backup check for Torterra.

Gl with the team!

I'm going to have to agree with Iron Bullet here. Houndoom is doing a hell of alot and from the sound of it you are going to get maimed by scarf duggy should houndoom fall now that aerial ace is standard on duggy. So I would go with IBs suggestion and put ice shard on donphan. That gives you a hard counter late game for a poke that I can see being a great annoyance.

But yeah great team like always.

This is nice team here but there is a few changes that could be made.

1). Change Heracross's moveset to

Heracross @ Choicescarf
Trait: Guts
EVs: 40hp / 252atk / 216spd
Jolly Nature (+spd, -spatk)
- Closecombat
- Megahorn
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

The Evs give enough speed to outspeed max base 80 and the hp Evs give more allround bulk.

This moveset is more viable in uu than the one you are running atm. Earthquake is a much more solid move to use in UU than it was in OU. It allows you to hit incoming venusaurs to absorb your CC and is a safe move to use against registeel since Spiritomb and Registeel are often found together.

Pursuit is there to take care of any Missy or zam that can come your way. Pursuit does around 80% to zam if it choose to stay in and after rocks and recoil that a Dead poke.

With Pursuit on Hera i would sudjest putting a Arcanine in place of your current houndoom. The Set i would sudjest would be:

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Triat: Intimadate
EVs: 154hp / 180spatk / 220spd
Timid Nature (+spd, -atk)
- FireBlast
- Hidden Power (ground)
- Morning sun
- Will-O-Wisp

The Hp EVs give a good Leftovers number and Stealthrock number whilst giving allround Bulk. It allows you to live an AdamanT Earthquake from Venusaur ( 76% - 90%) You can then outrun and OHKO With fireblast.

the Speed Evs allow to outspeed all base 90s whilst the Spatk EVs Give the OHKO on Opposing Offensive Arcanine as you live their ExtremeS / Hp ground.

Apart from them Small things id say this was a pretty solid UU team.

I'm a little surprised this team works because it has no way of disturbing the opponent's strategy (screens, rain, baton pass, etc) - you have for example no way of stopping rain going up a second time, just a "maybe" Taunt on Houndoom, which won't work anyway if the rain replenisher isn't Uxie / Registeel because other rain replenishers like Lanturn can simply kill Houndoom. Stall looks like a major problem as well; you cannot outlast them, but breaking their walls without anti-stall tools looks difficult to say the least.

I don't know what to suggest, probably because all-out offense isn't my style of play ... but perhaps you might be able to condense the team a little. You have Aerial Ace on Heracross just to kill other Heracross. While that works, AA is a bad move to be locked into, so you might be able to replace it with Pursuit. Pursuit is an equally bad move to be locked into, but it does gives you a third copy of Pursuit. You might then be able to drop one of the other Pursuiters (Scyther, Houndoom) for another Pokemon of some kind, hopefully to plug some of the team's weaknesses.

Good luck :)

I could try dropping Houndoom for Azumarill and putting Pursuit on Heracross, that's not a bad idea. Scyther and Houndoom both with Pursuit is a little crazy I guess.

And to answer your question Banedon, it's because they don't get a shot to do anything more than once or during their time setting up (rain does once, but I can easily live through it). If they use Screens, I have Venusaur to Sleep them before they set up (I faced a bunch of DS users in the tour). Rain is rain, but once it's gone they often can't do anything to Heracross besides take Close Combats and try to revenge kill me with Kabutops aqua jet.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't have much to say, as all-out offense isn't really my thing and I'm probably not the best person to recommend stuff, but you could consider replacing Rotom for CB Azumarill. Pretty much everything you listed under its description isn't really necessary for this team (you have shitloads of Heracross checks, Azumarill is a more reliable Moltres check and you don't have Spikes so spinblocking isn't really necessary). The only thing you really lose in on baiting Spiritomb, but I guess that can't be helped.

Good luck =)

I don't have much to say, as all-out offense isn't really my thing and I'm probably not the best person to recommend stuff, but you could consider replacing Rotom for CB Azumarill. Pretty much everything you listed under its description isn't really necessary for this team (you have shitloads of Heracross checks, Azumarill is a more reliable Moltres check and you don't have Spikes so spinblocking isn't really necessary). The only thing you really lose in on baiting Spiritomb, but I guess that can't be helped.

Good luck =)
I have quite a bit of trouble with Scyther and Swellow without Rotom, I've considered dropping it but I can't seem to go more than a couple games without fighting one of those two.

If I use CB azumarill, it will likely be over Houndoom but I really like the ability to switch into any Ghost and destroy it.

great team heysup. I was just wondering, why does MixDoom need max attack? I just give it enough to kill Dugtrio, since it still gets all the KOs on ghosts/psychics. Plus hp rock would do significantly more to other houndoom/fires

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)