Post Hardcore / Screamo / Hardcore / Deathcore / anythingcore / etc.

Hey everyone. I just wanted to talk about this type of music because I didn't see a thread about it. There's a metal thread but that's different... Basically, Post-Hardcore is this: (From Wikipedia.)

Post-hardcore is typically characterized by its precise rhythms and loud guitar-based instrumentation accompanied by a combination of clean vocals and screams. Allmusic states, "These newer bands, termed post-hardcore, often found complex and dynamic ways of blowing off steam that generally went outside the strict hardcore realm of 'loud fast rules'. Additionally, many of these bands' vocalists were just as likely to deliver their lyrics with a whispered croon as they were a maniacal yelp."[2] The genre has developed a balance of dissonance and melody, in part channeling the loud and fast hardcore ethos into more measured, subtle forms of tension and release. Jeff Terich of Treblezine states, "Instead of sticking to hardcore's rigid constraints, these artists expanded beyond power chords and gang vocals, incorporating more creative outlets for punk rock energy."

Screamo is pretty self explanatory. Anyways, I'm from California and a lot of Post-Hardcore bands started here and I wanted to get a discussion about your opinion on the style of music, bands I should check out, your favorite bands of the genre, and etc.

My all-time favorite band is Dance Gavin Dance. Some other ones I love are Emarosa, Lower Definition, Of Mice and Men, A Skylit Drive, Broadway, and Suicide Silence. There's a lot more but those are my favorite. Anyways, post on your favorite bands, opinion, and etcetera!

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I as well am from southern California and like you have witnessed the growth of modern/post hardcore perhaps from its birth - however, I've largely stayed away from it. My favorite band from this era is Thrice, and they have radically changed their sound since those days. The change between The Artist and the Ambulance and Vheissu was alarming, while still heavy in some ways. Their latest album, Beggars, was a big letdown for me, however. I understand a band wanting to branch out, but an album full of folk tracks is disappointing from a band that used to rock so hard. Avenged Sevenfold of Huntington Beach started out with a punk-metal sound, but they were not fantastic until Waking the Fallen, their "Master of Puppets." Now they've completely gone whacky with the gold teeth and metal and pop rock mix. What I'm trying to say as that these bands are maturing, trying to break away from the old template of:
Brutal intro -> slow bridge -> faster chorus/verses with melodic vocals-> screaming on top of obnoxiously dissonant half step chords -> brutal outro.
Anyways, I've seen a lot of hype around A Skylit Drive on these forums, but I have yet to check them out.

My favourite band of all time is uhhh... kinda Post-hardcore?

That'd be HORSE the Band. There's no band that uses a keyboard that well (or very well at all) and the guys vocals are like nothing you've heard before. Whether you like it or not is up to you.

Honestly there's so much variation within the post-hardcore genre. Absolutely love some of it, whereas I can't stand alot of it. But I don't know I guess that's the same with any genre.

That said I'm far more inclined to like bands that lean to the experimental side of things.

Like NixHex, Thrice is one of the few post-hardcore bands that I like. Artist in the Ambulance is probably in my top ten favorite albums. I still like them, and even though they are so different now, I love Beggars as well. It's a different sound, definitely, but it's still amazing. They've matured so much as a band it's ridiculous. And Dustin's lyrics and vocals will always be amazing. I've been jamming to the Earth disc of the Alchemy Index recently.

Also, I like All's Well That Ends Well by Chiodos and Acrobatic Tenement by At the Drive-In but that's about the extent of my post-hardcore taste. My brother is obsessed with the stuff. He loves DGD, Emarosa, Circa Survive, Saosin, that type of stuff.

I used to be into this stuff in high school but I felt like I outgrew it. Some of my favourites were Dance Gavin Dance, The Fall of Troy, Circa Survive, and Fear Before The March of Flames.

I remember going to shows and being really put off by the fans. Till this day I dont understand why white people with good hair feel like they have to fry their hair until its nappy -.-

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Actual hardcore punk is amazing, real screamo is basically dead, and post-hardcore is meh. Circle Takes the Square is my favorite of the actual screamo bands, but there's also Orchid. I like At the Drive-In.

HORSE the Band is metalcore, Scicky. Suicide Silence is deathcore.

Really, the vast, VAST majority of what passes for "hardcore" and "screamo" these days is really shitty post-hardcore/metalcore.

Actual hardcore punk is amazing, real screamo is basically dead, and post-hardcore is meh. Circle Takes the Square is my favorite of the actual screamo bands, but there's also Orchid. I like At the Drive-In.

HORSE the Band is metalcore, Scicky. Suicide Silence is deathcore.

Really, the vast, VAST majority of what passes for "hardcore" and "screamo" these days is really shitty post-hardcore/metalcore.
Woah, you mean now people actually realize that screamo is a practically dead genre with only a few well-known bands still existing in that genre? Must be the apocalypse.

I do like a good assortment of post-hardcore, metalcore, and the occasional deathcore bands. But most of my favorite hardcore bands have strange subgenres such as black metalcore, which I really like because when you get specific bands like that, it becomes harder to find other bands that sound a lot like them, so you get more varied music without leaving your preferred genre.

Eh, HORSE the Band is alot of things. Like I said "kind of post-hardcore", but that's mostly when you take a look at their album "The Mechanical Hand", the rest of it is alot more Metalcore, I won't argue there.

I've come to the personal conclusion that their are actually 2 subgenre's within Post-hardcore and Metalcore. Regular Post-hardcore and Regular Metalcore, and the far more popular 'Terrible Fucking Metalcore' and 'Terrible Fucking Post-hardcore' genre's, with shit like Attack Attack and Abandon All Ships occupying those.

Also, I don't get the term 'screamo', it's even vaguer than emo and people don't even use that properly.

Anyway, I bet you anything this is just going to turn into a 'core' thread.

On that note, has anyone heard the new Chiodos album yet? I don't like it at all, musically it's cluttered as hell and I guess they went in a new direction with their music. Too bad that direction was straight off a cliff. It's not even the new vocalists fault, he does a good job actually, like, if I heard him sing something from Bone Palace Ballet I'm sure he'd do just fine, the new material is just bad. :C

jesus Attack Attack is TERRIBLE. but the thread title did say etc, so i wasn't specifically talking about post hardcore and ya, screamo is vague but it sounded good at the time.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Just off the top of my head, my favorite from this genre is easily Hopesfall. And no, nothing they did after The Satellite Years is worth a dingleberry.

At the Drive-In was also the shit, I still listen to them often.

jesus Attack Attack is TERRIBLE. but the thread title did say etc, so i wasn't specifically talking about post hardcore and ya, screamo is vague but it sounded good at the time.
Ahh... I want so badly to call you a moron for this statement, but you also like my alltime favorite band, Broadway, and appreciate Emarosa and Of Mice and Men...

Why does everybody hate Attack Attack?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Woah, you mean now people actually realize that screamo is a practically dead genre with only a few well-known bands still existing in that genre? Must be the apocalypse. Yeah, there's about 10 bands. A few people out there get it.

I do like a good assortment of post-hardcore, metalcore, and the occasional deathcore bands. But most of my favorite hardcore bands have strange subgenres such as black metalcore, which I really like because when you get specific bands like that, it becomes harder to find other bands that sound a lot like them, so you get more varied music without leaving your preferred genre.
:D So you like Abigail Williams? Their early stuff was described as "black metalcore."
Why does everybody hate Attack Attack?
Because they make terrible music. Simple as that. As far as -core goes, they're one of the most hated bands out there.

Anyway, I think Cancer Bats deserves a mention in this thread. Their older albums are more hardcore punk-oriented, while their new one is more post-hardcore. They're also sludge metal and southern metal.

I like hardcore like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Discharge, etc.

As for screamo/skramz/whatever people are calling screamo that isn't targeted towards scene kids, I like Orchid and am on the look out for more bands that play that style of music.

I find it funny people think AA! are terrible yet love OM&M. They are literally the same band. They follow the same formula, even have the same vocalists. And to be entirely honest, OM&M are worse than AA!.

My opinion on the genre is that it's the music you listen to before you discover real music. Eventually most people grow out of it.

or maybe that's just ~my anecdotal evidence~ but w/e

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
wipers, fugazi, refused, husker du are pretty rockin. attack attack and almost everything mentioned in this thread are absolutely horrid.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
They don't. Fugazi is post-punk (technically part of the first emo movement), and that other band is just awful. They had pieces of bad emo mixed with pieces of bad European death metal mixed with pieces of nu-metal. I was wondering why I didn't recognize any of the band names in this thread.

Fugazi is post-hardcore

there's alot of great post-hardcore bands out there(besides the ones G80 mentioned)

At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command and Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You are both classic releases and then, theres Drive Like Jehu, Gospel, Cap'n Jazz, mewithoutyou, Envy, La Dispute, Thrice (whose last album is not folk btw), etc etc

Just off the top of my head, my favorite from this genre is easily Hopesfall. And no, nothing they did after The Satellite Years is worth a dingleberry.

At the Drive-In was also the shit, I still listen to them often.
No Wings to Speak Of is fucking amazing, and The Frailty of Words was damn good.

The Satellite Years was one of the biggest letdowns i've ever experienced, coming off such a strong EP.

"post-hardcore" is so incredibly difficult to attribute to a band, because it's so ambiguous, and it means so many different things to different people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)