Snakes, Moles and Ponies - Oh My! [OU Warstory]

Hi all! This is my first warstory, and it documents one of my favourite battles I recently had on Pokemon Online.
My opponent and I are both in the top 25 Ranking, and we had fought each other many times before; this time, we both had different teams, so we didn't know what to expect. My name is Contest Master Majin, and my opponent's is "Djheezy".
Hope you enjoy!

Contest Master Majin's Team

"Djheezy"'s Team will be shown at finish.

RULES
  • Ladder Match
  • Sleep Clause
  • Freeze Claue
  • OHKO Clause
  • Species Clause
-Extraneous information will be mentioned at first instance and then omitted.
-Score will be presented after every KO (Contest Master Majin - OPP)
-Battle text will be in bold.
-My comments will be in blue.

Contest Master Majin sent out Genosect.
"Djheezy" sent out Jaroda.
Genosekuto's Download activates.
Genosekuto's Attack rose!
vs

Genosect = 100%
Jaroda = 100%

A great start to what I know will be a difficult battle. My Scarf Genosect lead doesn't really do all that much - just U-Turn out of there and switch to a good counter. I knew he would be switching, as Jaroda won't want to take a boosted U-Turn. Still, U-Turn is the best bet. I'll see what he switches in and kill it with an appropriate counter.

---

"Djheezy" called Jaroda back.
"Djheezy" sent out Blaziken.
Genosect used U-Turn!
Blaziken lost 16% of its health.
Contest Master Majin sent out Shandera.
Blaziken restored a little HP using Leftovers.
vs

Shandera = 100%
Blaziken = 90%

Excellent. My team can be quite Blaziken-weak, and Shandera solves the problem. I know it'll Protect, but as I'm Scarfed I'll still outspeed. I go for the Psychic.

---

Blaziken used Protect.
Shandera used Psychic.
Blaziken protected itself!
Blaziken's Speed Boost increases it's speed.
vs

Shandera = 100%
Blaziken = 96%

Well. There's a 50% chance that another Protect will work, and then Blaziken will try to OHKO with Stone Edge, if it has it at all. I'm EV'd so that Stone Edge is never a KO without SR, but I want Shandera at maximum health for the fight ahead. Fingers crossed!

---

Blaziken use Protect.
But it failed!
Shandera used Psychic - it's super effective!
Blaziken lost 96% of its health.
The foe's Blaziken fainted!
"Djheezy" sent out Ditto.
Ditto transformed into Shandera.

6-5
vs

Shandera = 100%
Shandera (Ditto) = 100%

I breathe a sigh of relief as I PKI his burning cock. Ditto poses a bit of a problem, as my Shandera runs Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Psychic and HP Ice. He knows I have a Genosect, and I that can all too easily send it in on the predicted Shadow Ball...
Then again, it could get roasted by Flamethrower. The only completely safe switch-in I have is Tyranitar, but I want to save that for the element of surprise later. I decide to stay in and scout what move Ditto uses, as almost all Dittos are Scarfed.

---

Shandera (Ditto) used Flamethrower - it's not very effective.
Shandera lost 36% of its health.
Shandera used Psychic.
Shandera (Ditto) lost 45% of its health - its Special Defense fell!
vs

Shandera = 64%
Shandera (Ditto) = 55%

Once again, my hunch is right on the money. His Ditto won't be staying in, but I decide to let Shandera do its thing with Psychic one more time, so I can send in an appropriate counter to his switch-in.

---

"Djheezy" called Shandera (Ditto) back.
"Djheezy" sent in Chansey.
Shandera used Psychic.
Chansey lost 9% of its health.
vs

Shandera = 64%
Chansey = 91%

Urg, Chansey. It takes piteous damage from Psychic, and I'm now in a fairly helpless state. I know it will either Thunder Wave or Toxic, and my only safe switch-in to both those moves is Doryuuzu - definitely a Pokemon I want to keep hidden in the wings. Genosect can take a Toxic, but Paralysis ruins it. My next bet - Breloom. It doesn't mind being paralysed all that much, but Toxic hastens it's demise...

--

Contest Master Majin called Shandera back.
Contest Master Majin sent in Breloom.
Chansey used Toxic.
Breloom was badly poisoned!
Breloom is hurt by poison!
vs

Breloom = 96%
Chansey = 91%

For the first time in the battle, things start going a bit awry. Breloom doesn't really mind being poisoned, but he'd much rather prefer paralysis. Breloom is only on my team as a Ground resist and a surefire Doryuuzu counter. As I haven't seen a hint of a Sandstorm, I'm going towards thinking he doesn't have a SS user, but he could just as easily be hiding it like I am. As I use Life Orb + Technician, I'm going to be losing health quite quickly. Spore is the obvious option here, no prediction required.

--

Breloom used Spore.
Chansey fell asleep!
Chansey is fast asleep.
vs

Breloom = 82%
Chansey = 91% (asleep)

Easy enough. With my health slowly being whittled down, I opt for using Stone Edge - it nails most of Breloom's counters that my opponent can now switch in.

--

Breloom used Stone Edge.
Chansey lost 31% of its health.
Chansey woke up!
Chansey used Softboiled.
Chansey regained health.
vs

Breloom = 66%
Chansey = 100%

Well, that didn't exactly go as planned. Chansey heals off the quite pitiful damage Breloom caused her, as she wakes up from a one-turn siesta. My health is being whittled down more and more...

--

Breloom used Spore.
Chansey fell asleep!
Chansey is fast asleep.
vs

Breloom = 34%
Chansey = 100% (asleep)

Screw it. Breloom's dead anyway, may as well go for the Mach Punch.

--

Breloom used Mach Punch.
Chansey lost 63% of its health.
Chansey is fast asleep.
Breloom is hurt by poison.
Breloom fainted!
Contest Master Majin sent out Genosect.
Genosect's Download activates.
Genosect's Attack rose!

5-5
vs

Genosect = 100%
Chansey = 37% (asleep)

Ok. I got the Attack boost, so now I just U-Turn for a crapload of damage to just about anything.

--

"Djheezy" called Chansey back.
"Djheezy" sent out Genosect ("Djheezy").
Genosect ("Djheezy")'s Download activates.
Genosect ("Djheezy")'s Special Attack rose!
Genosect used U-Turn - it's not very effective.
Genosect ("Djheezy") lost 26% of its health.
Contest Master Majin sent in Tyranitar.
A Sandstorm brewed!
vs

Tyranitar = 100%
Genosect (OPP) = 74%

Perfect. Genosect got the Special Attack boost, so I felt safe to bring in Tyranitar. I haven't yet seen a SpecSect, let alone with Bug Buzz, so I'm really hoping it's Scarved like my own. The best it can do is U-Turn, or maybe X-Scissor, and I run an extremely bulky Choice Bander. Goodbye, Geno (I hope)...

--

Genosect used X-Scissor - it's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 41% of its health.
Tyranitar used Stone Edge.
Genosect lost 74% of its health.
Genosect fainted!
"Djheezy" sent out Rotom-W.

5-4

vs

Tyranitar = 59%
Rotom-W = 100%

Again, that went as planned. No Bug Buzz for Tyranitar, and Genosect bites the dust (or, sand). But, my team has a massive Rotom-W weakness - the combination of Water and Electric ruins me, and my only Pokemon to resist that combo is gone. I can't really do much as of yet, but it strikes me that this may be a defensive Rotom. A Hydro Pump may not kill my Tyranitar, who runs 252 HP and some Special Defense EVs...

--

Rotom-W use Hydro Pump - it's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 59% of its health.
Tyranitar fainted!
Rotom-W is buffeted by the Sandstorm.
Rotom-W restores a little HP using its Leftovers.
Contest Master Majin sent in Genosect.
Genosect's Download activates.
Genosect's Attack rose!

4-4

vs

Genosect = 100%
Rotom-W = 100%

Damn. I now realise that I didn't have much of a chance whatever the spread is...
It looks as though Rotom may now wipe the floor with me. Luckily, I remember a specific typing change it received and have a move in Genosect's arsenal that abuses it and my Attack raise. I only hope that I can OHKO that possesed washing machine. Here goes...

BOOM.
Genosect use Explosion.
Genosect fainted!
Rotom-W lost 100% of its health.
Rotom-W fainted!
Contest Master Majin sent out Kerudio.
"Djheezy" sent out Chansey.

3-3

vs

Kerudio = 100%
Chansey = 37%

A breathe a massive sigh of relief as Genosect goes out with a bang reminiscent of the old generations. I stopped a potentially crushing threat and came fresh into a new turn with my little pony. I don't want to set up any Calm Minds because I remember a certain Ditto hanging out in the wings, so I opt to kill Chansey off the bat. Although Mystery Sword is a Special move, it is basically a giant "FUCK YOU" in the face of Blissey and Chansey, as it deals physical damage. None of his waiting Pokemon would like to take a Mystery Sword, so I click the button with confidence.

--

Kerudio used Mystery Sword - it's super effective!
Chansey lost 37% of its health.
Chansey fainted!
Kerudio is buffeted by the Sandstorm.
Kerudio restored a little HP with its Leftovers.
"Djheezy" sent out Jaroda.

3-2

vs

Kerudio = 100%
Jaroda = 100%

Now I start to really regret taking Hidden Power Ice off my Kerudio and giving it Taunt. My only weapon against the snake lord is Mystery Sword - probably a 3HKO whilst Leaf Storm will kill me. Shandera can come in and roast Jaroda with a Flamethrower when Kerudio is dead, so I feel confident I've now won.

--

Jaroda used Glare.
Kerudio is paralysed!
Kerudio is paralysed - it can't move!
Jaroda is buffeted by the Sandstorm.
Jaroda restored a little HP using its Leftovers.
vs

Kerudio = 100% (paralysed)
Jaroda = 100%
Not good. After running a few calcs, I realise my Mystery Sword does less than 30%. That's what I get for making my Kerudio bulky...but it makes no difference, as hax finally enters the match and I get paralyed. Not a real problem - Shandera still has its way with Jaroda.
--

Jaroda used Substitute - Jaroda made a Substitute!
Kerudio is paralysed - it can't move!
vs

Kerudio = 100%
Jaroda = 75% (Behind a Sub)

Holy f-ck on a f-ck sandwich. With f-ck on top.

And a side helping of f-ck.

YGOTAS references aside, the battle's now in favour of "Djheezy". The parahax didn't really matter - he probably could've kept Subbing until it did happen - but now I'm fodder for him to Leaf Storm his troubles away. Shandera can't kill Jaroda behind a Sub, and it's on low enough health so that Leaf Storm can kill it, leaving Doryuuzu to do the job. Have I put X-Scissor on Dory, in any case? Even if so, will it KO the defensive snake?
All will be revealed...right now.

--

Jaroda used Leaf Storm - it's super effective!
Kerudio lost 100% of its health.
Jaroda's Special Attack sharply rose!
Kerudio fainted!
Contest Master Majin sent out Shandera.

2-2
vs

Shandera = 64%
Jaroda = 75% (Behind a Sub)

Well, at least I can outspeed and break the Sub. I still have no idea if I can beat Jaroda with Doryuuzu...
Obvious Flamethrower is obvious.

--

Shandera used Flamethrower - it's super effective!
Jaroda's Substitute faded.
Jaroda used Glare.
Shandera is paralysed!
vs

Shandera = 58% (Paralysed)
Jaroda = 75%

That wasn't expected. Although there was nothing I could do to stop it, "Djheezy" can now wait for another parahax and get up another Sub. If that happens, it's gg.

--

Jaroda used Leaf Storm - it's not very effective.
Shandera lost 58% of its health.
Jaroda's Special Attack sharply rose.
Shandera fainted!
Contest Master Majin sent out Doryuuzu.
Doryuuzu is floating on a balloon.

1-2

vs

Doryuuzu = 100%
Jaroda = 75%

I am positively crapping myself at this point in time. I run a semi-bulky Doryuuzu with less-than-252 ATK EVs, and I have no idea how defensive this Jaroda is. If I don't OHKO, Jaroda is going to destroy me with it's +4 Special Attack boost. Even if I don't die, Ditto will come in on my popped balloon and Earthquake me into oblivion. I may not even run X-Scissor, which is the only chance I have of an OHKO...

Well, here goes.

--

Doryuuzu used X-Scissor - it's super effective!

Jaroda lost 75% of its health.

Jaroda fainted!

"Djheezy" sent out Ditto.

Ditto transformed into Doryuuzu.

1-1

vs

Doryuuzu = 100%

Doryuuzu (Ditto) = 55%

gg!

--

Doryuuzu (Ditto) used Rock Slide - it's not very effective.
Doryuuzu lost 4% of its health.
Doryuuzu flinched!
Doryuuzu's balloon popped!
vs

Doryuuzu = 96%
Doryuuzu (Ditto) = 55%

If this thing by some crazy happening isn't Scarfed, I will shove my my mouse up my arse.

--

Doryuuzu (Ditto) used Rock Slide - it's not very effective.
Doryuuzu lost 3% of its health.
Doryuuzu used Earthquake - it's super effective!
Doryuuzu (Ditto) fainted!

1-0

Contest Master Majin wins!

Although my win was decided a few turns before the finish, I breathe an incredible sigh of relief as his Ditto goes down. That Jaroda really had it's way with me - with a bit of help from parahax!

"Djheezy"'s Team

Pros and Cons...

Pros:
  • Scarf Genosect, for giving me an incredibly useful early-game momentum and going out with a bang.
  • Chansey, for taking down a Breloom.
  • Jaroda, for giving me an intense near-death experience with its mighty Glare.
  • Reliable ol' Doryuuzu, for being so damn powerful.
  • Not too much hax.
Cons:
  • A particularly badly-played Breloom, for not doing what it was supposed to do - smash down walls!
  • Ditto, for not doing anything at all.
  • Kerudio, for becoming set-up fodder for Jaroda.
  • Parahax.
Now here it is, the MVP...

Genosect @ Choice Scarf
[112 Atk / 176 SpA / 220 Spe]
Naive Natured (+Spe, -SpD)
Download
-U-Turn
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Explosion
This 'Mon really helped me get an incredible swing early game, preventing Jaroda from setting up too early and essentially taking out a potentially devastating Blaziken, before Exploding with a lucky Attack boost to destroy yet another annoying foe. I urge all of you to give him a go!

Thanks for reading this Warstory, and please rate / hate all you like.

I'd like to thank "Djheezy", for the awesome battle...
And Legacy Raider, for the somewhat copied format.

See ya!

Good presentation and not bad comments taken into account, it's an average battle decided by a misclick

meh
Huh. His Doryzuu was up on in a ballon. Earthquake would not of worked. Most Dittos are scarfed.

Play of the game was the explosion to kill Rotom. If he could not of killed the Rotom, he would of lost. Proves explosion still has uses.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dumb question:

In the previous Gens Glare couldn't hit Ghosts because of a type immunity. Is that no longer the case in 5th Gen (which is odd as TWave does not effect Ground types still)?

I don't normally post on warstories, Kerudio did not get paralyzed by hax. Glare causes paralysis and has 90% accuracy. That's the move. Unless you were referring to being Fully Paralyzed.

Why go Shanderaa->Doryuuzu instead of Doryuuzu->Shanderaa at the very end? I'm just curious.

Not sending ttar directly into ditto was a mistake. If you had, shandy might have had enough health to survive a leaf storm (not 100% certain though). And your opponent should've really stalled for that parahax. Even if you hadn't revealed it, doryuuzu was very likely.

I liked it. Neither player was in control the whole time, and good formatting made it a smooth read. The battle wasn't especially "intense", but a decent battle in 5th gen is always interesting and I liked how you used psychic on Shandera, breaking the taboo of choiced psychic moves even on a pursuit-weak Pokemon.

At first I thought that you won by a misclick when Ditto used Rock Slide, but then I realized your Dory's balloon hadn't been popped beforehand. Maybe that's what DarkAmber8828 is referencing. Gah, just Ninja'd.

Nitpick: After Jaroda paralyzes Kerudio you accidentally take off 25% of its health before it subs.

You should fix your log so that it says "the balloon popped" after ditto attacked with Rock Slide. That makes it more clear why your opponent did that.

Now that I've realized that, I like this warstory a lot more. Though I'm suprised that you didn't expect Bug Buzz from Genosekuto. I thought that special variants that carry it were common. Still, you weren't wrong, so perhaps it is I who needs correcting.

I think it's cool that the warstories so far reflect the metagame in that everything revenges something else until there's nothing left; that is, the pace of the metagame seems, at least to me, like it has increased considerably.

Your warstory was nice, considering this was your first time! Formatting was a breath of fresh air and the battle was decent too. I look forward to the next one :P

8/10

Thanks all!

I'll edit the balloon in and fix the Sub health-taking-away bit.

@Slimman; I was referring to full paralysis. I went Shandera - Doryuuzu because I was hoping that it would Sub more, whittling down it's health to a point where Shandera would die after breaking it's Sub and I could definitely kill it with Dory. I wasn't expecting Glare XD

@petrie911; Yeah, it was a bit risky at the time to stay in and possibly die to Bug Buzz. I've just never seen one use it as of yet.

@Chameleon; Thanks! Sometimes Psychic isn't the best move to use, but if a TTar switches in I can't really do anything anyway. It also does more damage than Flamethrower to Roob and Machamp.

First gen 5 warstory accurately depicting the metagame and with no glaring mistakes on either side? Yes please. Plus, your explanations of your moves was well done. Good stuff all around.

I followed your suggestion of Genosect and it is working like a treat. Good battle and a good warstory. Comments were enjoyable and there were some good plays on both side. Looking ofward to more warstories in the future.

Great warstory bro.Both sides played well and it was just a fun battle to read.Looking forward to seeing more =P.
9/10.

Pretty good warstory. I usually don't read them often and not alot catch my attention, but this did and it was rather entertaining. Good job.

8/10

Thanks all!

I'll edit the balloon in and fix the Sub health-taking-away bit.

@Slimman; I was referring to full paralysis. I went Shandera - Doryuuzu because I was hoping that it would Sub more, whittling down it's health to a point where Shandera would die after breaking it's Sub and I could definitely kill it with Dory. I wasn't expecting Glare XD

@petrie911; Yeah, it was a bit risky at the time to stay in and possibly die to Bug Buzz. I've just never seen one use it as of yet.

@Chameleon; Thanks! Sometimes Psychic isn't the best move to use, but if a TTar switches in I can't really do anything anyway. It also does more damage than Flamethrower to Roob and Machamp.
Shandera - Dory was the right call for another reason as well. Shandera would have been your last pokemon, and against his ditto you would have a speed tie, which would give him the win. I'm pretty sure you had to use Flamethrower to KO Jaroda, so he could use SE Shadow Ball while you failed to KO him with Flamethrower, even if you won the speed tie.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wow this was actually a good warstory.

Good battle and your comments were funny (PKI and YGOTAS reference) and you explained your thought process which was nice. Also, you need to be careful in the future since Genosects DO run special sets (with Bug Buzz) in fact, a scarf Genosect with Bug Buzz / U-turn / Flamethrower / Ice Beam (or T-bolt) is common threat.

8/10

it was a good battle with good commentary, well done!
Im always intrigued to see battle that are dream world/use event mons like Genosect because, being a standard player, i rarely get to see just what these new pokes can do.

good job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)