move 2: ExtremeSpeed
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
ability: Pressure
nature: Naive / Hasty
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Set Description:
  • Deoxys-A is a great Life Orb user because of its power, speed, coverage, and priority
  • Works very well as a lead as it is hard to switch in
  • Can hit Pokemon on both sides with Superpower and ExtremeSpeed
  • Very good coverage
  • Can eliminate many common weather leads with Thunderbolt, Superpower or Ice Beam
  • Few EVs are put into attack as ExtremeSpeed and Superpower are very situational
  • Massively powerful Psycho Boost

Additional Comments:
  • Thunderbolt can hit Water-types such as Politoed, but Ice Beam hits Hippowdon and Dragons
  • Life Orb is the preferred option for extra power, but Focus Sash allows Deoxys to get an extra attack off
  • Choose Naive or Hasty nature depending on what boost you want to give Download users
  • Deoxys will probably be forced to switch out after using Psycho Boost, as such it is kind of a last-ditch attack
  • Can be set up on after it uses Psycho Boost
  • Psycho Shock allows Deoxys to hit Blissey/Chansey hard without the drop from Superpower
  • Shadow Ball hits opposing Deoxys and Wobbuffet hard

Teammates and Counters
  • Should be paried with a Pokemon weak to anything it counters
  • Heatran works very well to counter Scizor and Forretress
  • Can be paired with nearly anything, but some things work better than others
  • Countered by priority that can take Extremespeed such as Scizor
  • Forretress can wall it very well

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock / Spikes
move 2: Psycho Boost
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fire
item: Focus Sash
nature: Naive / Hasty

Set Description:
  • Deoxys can also set up entry hazards well
  • Hits much harder than Deoxys-S
  • Hidden Power Fire destroys lead Nattorei and Forretress
  • Thunderbolt beats Skarmory and Buruungeru
  • Stealth Rock is better than Spikes because it only requires one layer and Deoxys is very frail

Additional Comments:
  • Shadow Ball hits lead Deoxys and Buruungeru hard
  • Ice Beam hits Hippowdon and lead Dragons
  • Choose Naive or Hasty nature depending on what boost you want to give Download users
  • Superpower hits lead Tyrantitar and Nattorei hard, but use a Naive nature to maximize Attack
  • Magic Guard is an option to bounce back things from opposing Deoxys-S leads

Teammates and Counters
  • Should be paired with a Pokemon that appreciates Stealth rock a lot such as Gyarados
  • Works well with spinblockers such as Buruungeru
  • Mishchevious Heart users can stop it from getting hazards up but will get OHKO'd in return
  • Sableye works especially well as it is immune to Psycho Boost and ExtremeSpeed

[Team Options]
  • Fire types work very well, as they can eliminate annoying bugs and steel types not weak to Superpower such as Forretress
  • Heatran works especially well
  • Does not require a lot of support
  • Pairs well with Fighting types, as they resist Dark and can hit them super-effectively
  • Also works well with ghosts as they are immune to fighting and can hit other ghosts and psychics hard

[Optional Changes]
  • Deoxys-A is very flexible and can be tailored to specific
  • Can use a sweeper set for either physical or special
  • Can use a Scarf set to allow it to outspeed most weather sweepers but it will end up having to switch out a lot, which is bad because Deoxys is hard to switch in because of its frailty
  • Can also use a Band/Specs set for insane power but it will also be forced to switch out a lot
  • Psychic can be used for a reliable special STAB

[Counters]
  • Dark-Types that are not weak to Superpower work very well as they are immune to Psycho Boost
  • Hitmontop works extremely well as it can Fake Out then Sucker Punch to KO
  • Spiritomb is immune to Psycho Boost and ExtremeSpeed and can KO with Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak
  • Any non-Dark type with Sucker Punch in general works well
[Dream World]
None!

Bloo

Banned deucer.
This needs some work. Setsuna and I were discussing this on IRC and came up with what's listed below:

• No boosting moves
This is false. Deoxys-A has access to Cosmic Power, Iron Defense, Amnesia, and Calm Mind, all of which are boosting moves. Deoxys-A will never be seen using the aforementioned moves, but the point still applies. Check here for confirmation. Let's move on: The set you have listed in the OP of your thread has several slashes, which makes it look rather messy. Let's try to clean this up. Here's what I think the set should look like:

name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Psycho Boost
move 2: ExtremeSpeed
move 3: Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
move 4: Superpower
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
nature: Naive

Here's what I changed to make this look more neat and concise:

• Team previews completely slipped my mind when I was writing this up. I completely agree with Delta in his below post when he says the name "All Out Attacker" is more appropriate than "Anti-Lead" for the reasons Delta mentioned in his below post
  • As far as I know, "SpAtk" and "Spd" should be SpA / Spe.
  • Extremespeed should be ExtremeSpeed.
  • The "nature" section goes above the EV section.
  • I omitted Psycho Shock as an option alongside Psycho Boost. Psycho Boost is the stronger, better option, IMO, and should be the only option on this set. Psycho Shock does have the benefit of striking Blissey on the defensive side, however, keep in mind that Superpower makes quick work of her anyway, so the need for Psycho Shock lessens. Psycho Shock should be given a mention in Additional Comments, though.
  • I removed Shadow Ball as an option. It's main use was striking opposing Deoxys leads for super effective damage. However, Thunderbolt / Ice Beam in conjunction with ExtremeSpeed gives you a shot at beating opposing Deoxys leads anyway, making Shadow Ball less necessary. Thunderbolt super effectively hits Ghost-types like Burungeru as well, just like Shadow Ball. Nonetheless, Shadow Ball is still an option, so I'd make a mention of it in Additional Comments.
I'm not entirely certain on the order of the moves, so someone else can feel free to weigh in there. Moving on, Deoxys-A isn't "totally outclassed" by Deoxys-S in the entry hazards department. Whether or not a Pokemon is outclassed is not grounds for dismissing a set. In fact, Deoxys-A is an excellent user of Spikes / Stealth Rock and can function just as well as Deoxys-S in some cases. It's a fantastic lead that I, along with many others, have used to great success, and as such, I'd really like it if you'd put more emphasis on his ability to deploy entry hazards. Here's the set I've been using lately.

name: Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Hidden Power Fire
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Focus Sash
nature: Naive

You could give this set some consideration. However, it's worth noting that I've seen many different variants of Spiker Deoxys-A. For example, I've seen some using Stealth Rock / Spikes / Hidden Power / ExtremeSpeed. As such, my above suggested set may not be entirely ideal, so I'll leave it up to others to weigh in their thoughts.

You need to expand upon your Team Options section. and actually provide examples of Pokemon that pair well with Deoxys-A. On the Attacking Lead, Pokemon that have access to Stealth Rock, such as Heatran and Nattorei, pair up nicely with him. Heatran, in particular, can handle Forretress and Scizor, two 'mons that give Deoxys-A a fair amount of trouble, excellently.

• Should not be paired with another Psychic type
I'd have to disagree with you here: 'Not a very good endgame sweeper due to frailty and lack of boosting moves." Deoxys-A works extremely well as a late game sweeper due to its blistering speed and amazing offensive power. If your opponents priority user is gone, you can bet that Deoxys-A will be leaving a huge dent in the opposing team.

• Should not be paired with another Psychic type
This isn't necessarily true. I know what you're trying to say here, but I honestly think you should just remove this sentence. Metagross is a Psychic-type and pairs pretty well with Deoxys-A, so why can't I use it? That's all I have for now. Once this is fixed up, I'll give it a QC stamp of approval for you.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Posting to confirm that these are the points Bloo and I wanted to outline.

There are several changes and suggestions in this post, so please make sure to review carefully all the information that we listed before applying any of them. I'll post my official approval as soon as you complete this task.

No mention of Magic Coat at all? I've found it especially useful against Deo-S leads (instead of running Thunderbolt / Ice Beam), as most of them tend to go for entry hazards as opposed to just attacking.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I am really not a fan of the term 'attacking lead' or for that matter any set that has the term 'lead' in it. Players are allowed to put whatever Pokemon they please in the first slot in Gen V, and so if you continuously put Deoxys-A in the lead position, players will catch on and put their best "counter" to Deoxys-A in the lead position. I am a much bigger fan of 'All Out Attacker' or 'Life Orb Attacker' and mention using him as a lead in AC.

I also feel that Choice Scarf should be at least mentioned if not given its own set, as it can outpace most weather sweepers (Doryuuzu, Kingdra, etc) as well as all opposing Choice Scarf 'Mons.

Also,
Not a very good endgame sweeper due to frality and lack of boosting moves, so earlygame Life Orb sets are preferrred
I don't think you can be any more wrong. Deoxys-A is more than capable of finishing off a weakened team assuming non-resisted priority attacking Pokemon have been done away with, as due to its coverage combined with its great offensive stats it doesn't need a boost to sweep effectively.

This is probably a terrible move-set, but I found it useful.

Deoxys @ Life Orb
Nature: Hasty/Naive
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Drain Punch

Mostly for breaking through Balanced (or semi-stall) teams. With Pokemon such as Mischievous Heart Erufuun and Borutorosu and their Stun Spore/Thunder Wave, Substitute can be a reprieve from that. Of course, Erufuun can simply Encore your Substitute, but those two are rarely switch into Deoxys when the opponent thinks you're going to attack. Also scouts, and probably eliminates, your opponent's Choice Scarf Pokemon (common Scarf Pokemon such as Garchomp, Darkrai, and Shaymin-S are OHKOed), which can help for slower set-up sweepers.

Probably a pretty meh set, but it worked out well for me, so I figured I should at least post it.

I suggest making Deoxys a Hasty nature on the Lead set; this allows it to have a more powerful Extremespeed and with Deoxys-A's glass cannon defenses, the drop is hardly going to matter. Hasty should be suggested over Naive for Download users.

Yeah, Drain Punch is cool, but honestly Deoxys is at its best when it's smashing things. I tested that set and it's not that good.

While i agree Drain Punch is kinda misplaced on Deoxys-A, substitute isn't a bad choice at all. It protects against priority (Deoxys-A's number one problem) and if you can set it up on forced switch, then you're sure to get at least 1 kill (afaik Deoxys-A 2HKOes everything). There's probably no room on existing sets to put it, but i guess AC or even OC mention wouldn't hurt.

Tested blah blah blah, actually fairly useless. Deoxys can take Mach Punches/Vacuum Waves at 90% or so, and Subbing is generally a waste of a turn (and moveslot) when you could be killing something, especially as Deoxys really needs coverage.

Even though I believe Deoxys-A will go UBER again after testing is over, I want to post the set I used while on Smogon's PO sever.

Given the current OU metagame, weather teams running around like crazy. Drizzle and Sandstream to be more exact.

With Doryuuzu, Kindra, Ludicolo and Kabutops all gaining 2x speed in Rain/Sand Stream, I started to run Scarf Deoxys-A. With enough Speed Ev's so that it would just barely outspeed a Max speed Doryuuzu in the Sand.

Deoxys-A @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 137 Atk / 241 SAtk / 130 Spe
Nature: Naive
Super Power
Psycho Boost
Ice Beam
T-bolt

Super Power kills off Doryuuzu. Stab Psycho Boost kills off Ludicolo and Kingdra. Kabutops, however would occasionally run Aqua Jet. If not, this set made for an excellent check to these Pokemon.

Even though I believe Deoxys-A will go UBER again after testing is over, I want to post the set I used while on Smogon's PO sever.

Given the current OU metagame, weather teams running around like crazy. Drizzle and Sandstream to be more exact.

With Doryuuzu, Kindra, Ludicolo and Kabutops all gaining 2x speed in Rain/Sand Stream, I started to run Scarf Deoxys-A. With enough Speed Ev's so that it would just barely outspeed a Max speed Doryuuzu in the Sand.

Deoxys-A @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 137 Atk / 241 SAtk / 130 Spe
Nature: Naive
Super Power
Psycho Boost
Ice Beam
T-bolt

Super Power kills off Doryuuzu. Stab Psycho Boost kills off Ludicolo and Kingdra. Kabutops, however would occasionally run Aqua Jet. If not, this set made for an excellent check to these Pokemon.
It requires too much prediction and in addition to that, it can easily be revenge killed now that it is locked into one move. The whole point of using Deoxys-A is as a mixed wallbreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)