Victini (Placeholder)

Victini

Overview

• Another pixie with base 100 stats across the board, making it quite bulky
  • Horrible fire-psychic dual typing makes it both stealth rock weak and pursuit weak
  • Boasts a very diverse movepool both physical and special
  • Unique ability in Victory Star which raises the accuracy of its attacks and its teammates by 10%

[SET]
name: Specialtini
move 1: Fire Blast/Blaze Judgement
move 2: Focus Blast/Shadow Ball
move 3: Thunderbolt/Grass Knot
move 4: Substitute/Hidden Power Ice/Psychic/Psycho Shock
nature: Timid
item: Leftovers/Life Orb/Choice Specs/Scarf
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]
name: Leadtini
move 1: Death Gambit
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: U-turn
nature: Naïve
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Victini has access to death gambit which instantly kills any opponent with base 100 HP or less at the cost of its own life
  • Overheat is a powerful STAB move that destroys Forretress and Skarmory and can do major damage, even without ev investment
  • Shadow Ball hits those frail ghosts switching in to take a death gambit
  • U-turn is for scouting purposes and gets Victini out of otherwise bad matchups

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • 252 HP spread is to give death gambit the most power possible since it uses the users HP as the damage output, the rest are put into speed
  • This set should always run 252 HP for maximum damage output from death gambit
  • As a lead, Victini isn’t meant to survive for very long, only taking out one or hopefully more members of the opponents team and perhaps preventing entry hazard set-up in the process
  • Because this set is a lead, it isn’t affected by stealth rock as it would be otherwise and since choice scarf provides a speed boost, U-turn can be used effectively without being harmed by pursuit

[SET]
name: Physicaltini
move 1: Flare Blitz/Nitro Charge
move 2: Brick Break
move 3: Wild Volt
nature: Jolly
item: Life Orb/Choice Band/Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]
name: Supportini
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Will-o-wisp
move 3: Thunder Wave/Toxic/Substitute
move 4: Protect/Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
evs: 240 HP / 252 Spe / 16 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Team Options]
  • Droughtales is helpful to raise the power of Victini's fire attacks, however it brings an additional stealth rock weakness and ground weakness
  • Roobushin is a great teammate as it takes out Doryuuzu and Tyranitar with mach/drain punch and ghost types with payback while resisting dark type attacks aimed at Victini
  • Sets with Life Orb equipped tend to lose HP quite fast so wish support is very helpful in keeping Victini alive

[Optional Changes]
  • Leftovers can be used for more survivability, but Victini generally misses out on the extra power given by Life Orb
  • Substitute is an option for all non-choiced sets as it protects it from pursuits and priority
  • Thunder can be used over thunderbolt, however, the accuracy of thunder in any weather other than rain is horrible even when boosted by Victory Star

[Counters]
  • If Victini does not hit with focus blast or brick break on the switch in, it loses to Tyranitar
  • Heatran absorbs its fire attacks but must watch out for focus blast/brick break
  • Doryuuzu outspeeds even the choice scarf sets in sandstorm and can easily OHKO with a STAB earthquake

[Dream World]
  • Victini does not get a dream world ability

Thunderbolt should probably get the main slash over Thunder, unless there are any significant KOs that Thunder will get that Thunderbolt cannot. Victini does not have the defensive typing to handle an untimely miss.

Of course, Thunder is an option, since its accuracy is raised to a not-as-crappy 77%, and it has that useful 30% paralysis chance.

-Zane

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^ Burungeru and just about every other bulky Water type in existence. Seriously, Tbolt coming from 100 base Sp. Att is weak.

Ok, as Smogon's leading Victini expert, I have numerous comments to make on this analysis, so here it goes.

Leadtini doesn't look too bad. The only questionable thing here are the status moves in the third slot. What exactly do those moves take out that Overheat and Death Gambit do not? Try to elaborate on this if you can. Personally, I would run Shadow Ball in the third slot to take out the more frail Ghosts that try to take a Death Gambit. I also don't think Leadtini should be the first moveset. Victini has got more productive things to do than just saccing itself to take down a foe.

There's a few more moves that can go into the last slot on the Specialtini set. First up is Substitute. Considering Victini is vulnerable to Pursuit, Substitute is excellent for the purposes of luring out Pokemon such as Tyranitar and taking it out. It also helps to ease prediction, which is always a good thing in Pokemon. The other moves are Psychic and Psycho Shock. Psychic is actually a better attacking type in Gen 5 than Gen 4 due to how powerful Roobushin is. The choice of Psychic move depends on what you want to take down. Psychic helps with the afore-mentioned Roobushin and does the most damage to Terakion, and Psycho Shock lets Victini do serious damage to Blissey and helps with Calm Mind Kerudio. A few more things now. Drop Thunder for Thunderbolt. Weather is a big factor in Gen 5, and sandstorm and sun will not help Thunder at all. Even with Victory Star, Thunder will still only have a piss-poor 55% accuracy in the sand and sun. You should also stick in Leftovers and Choice Scarf in the items list. Leftovers is great for a set that uses Substitute to help minimise recoil and Scarf Special Victini is quite frankly amazing. It can revenge kill a ton and catch Pokemon that normally outspeed it off-guard.

I think you should scrap Mixtini altogether. It's completely outclassed by Blaziken and Infernape.

That's all I've got for now. Good luck with the analysis.

(At the risk of stating to obvious)Victini is a cute little pokemon, but it's typing it quite poor. With Sandstorm and Rocks up, it will die quickly. This is not a boon for any pokemon. Starmie might be a decent partner, getting rid of rocks and such. I think sun would be the better weather for Victini, with prediction its STAB Fire Moves could tear holes in things. But that's just my opinion

On one of my teams, I wanted to use his Victory Star ability but couldn't really find a place for him as a sweeper/supporter/etc. so I tried using him as a revenge killer and it worked surprisingly well. With max speed+sp att/att investment, slapping a scarf on him allows him to outspeed multiple things and take them down with his extrordinary coverage.

OK, I've never played Gen V, but from what I see here, there are a couple of minor problems with the sets. On SpecialTini, why is Focus Blast optional, while Shadow Ball is not? Scrap MixTini. MixApe outclasses it to the moon and back. On SupportTini, it seems like it's meant yo endure for a long time, so isn't Flamethrower>Fire Blast?

This is when I haven't even played Gen V yet.

A Trick Room set might be nice.

Victini @ Life Orb / Macho Brace
Victory Star
Quiet 252/4/0/252/0 0 Speed IV
- Fire Blast / Blaze Judgment
- Psychic / Psycho Shock
- Brick Break / U-Turn
- Trick Room

Use Victini's bulk to set up TR, and then start attacking. Macho Brace can be used to outspeed slower things like T-tar and KO, but power is lost because of it.

Of course, this is completely optional to include and not at all necessary for the analysis, I just thought you might want to consider it.

I don't think a trick room set would work. There are pretty much better pokemon who does the job better than Victini. But that is just my opinion.

^ Burungeru and just about every other bulky Water type in existence. Seriously, Tbolt coming from 100 base Sp. Att is weak.

No it isnt, As long as choice specs are held. Besides, most Bulky Waters have very large Sp Attacks, so Victini would have to switch anyway

I think that for a phisically victini V generate is a move of great power so on the physical set I think is bettere this move instead o Flare Blitz or Nitro Charge

name: Physicaltini
move 1: Flare Blitz/Nitro Charge
move 2: Brick Break
move 3: Wild Volt
nature: Jolly
item: Life Orb/Choice Band/Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

A gravity abuser seems plausible:

name: Gavictini
move 1: Purgatory
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Psycho Shock / HP ground
item: Life Orb / Wide Lens
evs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

In gravity, purgatory becomes 82.5 % accurate + V-star = 90.25 % + wide lens = 100 % meaning, that it has an 100 base power fire attack with a 100% burn rate.
obviously thunder and focus blast become > 100% as well, and psycho shock is there for blissey/chancey and a reliable 100% accurate STAB attack when gravity is gone.
HP ground for the fire types, but between focus blast and thunder most of them can be managed.

Life orb can also be used if you want more power, purgatory still has an acceptable 90% accuracy, while the other two keep the 100%.

Inside gravity teams it finds a nice place among some gravity setuppers, since it resists the weaknesses of Ferrothorn, Blissey, porygon-2 and Forretress, it adds a ground weakness but that can be patched by the other teammates.

Just my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)