Gardevoir (Weather Counter)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

<so pretty>

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gardevoir

I'm taking this over for GtM, who got this set through QC here.

This write up is surprisingly long because there really is so much to say about the set.

[SET]
name: Weather Counter
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball
move 3: Focus Blast / Signal Beam
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
item: Life Orb
ability: Trace
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Gardevoir set is a little more specialized, and therefore more situational, than her other sets, but it still functions well in the UU metagame. The basic premise of the set is to use Gardevoir as an all-out attacker, who, at the same time, can act as one of the best Rain Dance checks in the UU tier. When countering rain teams, the idea is to switch Gardevoir into one of the opponent's Swift Swimmers and copy its ability with Trace. After Gardevoir has Traced Swift Swim, she becomes faster than every Swift Swimmer (with the exceptions of Floatzel and Qwilfish). From there, Gardevoir can use the rain to her advantage and turn the tables on the opponent, forcing them to go on the defensive. The great thing about Gardevoir as a rain check is that she can continue to sweep outside of the rain, thanks to her good Speed and tremendous Special Attack stats.</p>

<p>Psychic is the STAB move of choice and is a strong, reliable move that allows Gardevoir to destroy Venusaur and the multitude of Fighting-types in the tier. The other moves give Gardevoir excellent coverage, as well as the best possible combination of moves to counter-sweep a rain team. Thunderbolt combines with Psychic for near perfect neutral coverage in UU, as it smacks Milotic, Moltres, and Slowbro for super effective damage; it also OHKOes every Swift Swim sweeper outside of Ludicolo. Shadow Ball can be run over Thunderbolt to nail Ghost-types, especially Rotom and Mismagius, and Psychic-types for super effective damage. As Gardevoir is an attacker first and a rain check second, being walled too easily by common walls such as Registeel, Chansey, and Clefable is a problem. Focus Blast solves this problem by 2HKOing Registeel and dealing 74.6% - 88.3% to the standard Clefable, which is a KO if Clefable first switches in on Psychic. Unfortunately, Gardevoir remains utterly walled by Chansey. If you find Focus Blast's accuracy to be a huge turn off, Signal Beam is a good substitute, allowing Gardevoir to hit Ludicolo, the most popular rain sweeper in UU; fellow Psychic-types, such as Uxie, Mesprit, and Slowking; and pure Grass-types, including Tangrowth and Leafeon, for super effective damage; coincidentally, the aforementioned Psychic-types are also common rain starters. Keep in mind that Shadow Ball and Signal Beam should never be used in conjunction, as they have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Gardevoir will be left out in the cold versus a whole myriad of Pokemon. The last slot is left for Will-O-Wisp, which is Gardevoir's best auxiliary move inside and outside rain, allowing her to cripple potential Dark-type counters such as Spiritomb, Absol, Drapion, and Skuntank.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be run over Life Orb thanks to Gardevoir's excellent super effective coverage, and it also gives her a little more survivability. However, the slight loss in power is a turn-off, as Expert Belt makes it so that Gardevoir is required to run Thunderbolt to OHKO the aforementioned rain sweepers. Energy Ball is a nice replacement for Thunderbolt and gets all the same OHKOs on the rain sweepers while also having the added benefit of hitting Rhyperior, Donphan, and Lanturn for super effective damage. If you are hell-bent on stopping rain at all costs, Taunt can be used to ensure that Rain Dance cannot be used in front of Gardevoir. Outside of rain, Taunt lets Gardevoir shut down Chansey, Registeel, and Clefable without the need for Focus Blast. Finally, Reflect or Light Screen can be used to provide a buffer against incoming revenge killers such as Dark-type Pursuit users, as well as to support the rest of Gardevoir's team.</p>

<p>If rain is not a factor in the battle, Gardevoir works well as an all-out attacker. Just bring in Gardevoir on a weak special attack, such as Milotic's Surf, and let loose with any attack your heart desires. Gardevoir's ability also comes into play here, as she is able to Trace Lanturn's Volt Absorb as she switches in and be healed from Lanturn's Thunderbolt. She can do the same to Water Absorb users such as Quagsire and Poliwrath and Flash Fire users like Arcanine and Houndoom (extreme caution should be taken around the latter, however). The trickiness comes into play when using Gardevoir as a rain check, as her low physical defense makes it hard for her to switch into the above Swift Swim sweepers safely. She is OHKOed by most of their attacks under the rain, so in most cases, she will have to be brought in after a teammate has been KOed. Another strategy is to employ a double-switch with a teammate such as Registeel, who walls a majority of rain sweepers. U-turn from a partner such as Uxie will also give her the opportunity to come in safely. Coincidentally, Gardevoir also makes a good Sunny Day check. With Signal Beam and Psychic, she has no problem OHKOing a majority of the normal Chlorophyll sweepers, such as Shiftry, Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Vileplume, and gets a near OHKO on Tangrowth.</p>

<p>Donphan and Cloyster make good teammates; they can Rapid Spin, wall physical attacks aimed at Gardevoir, and set up their own entry hazards. Lead Cloyster can also prevent Uxie from getting up Stealth Rock while also setting up its own hazards. Priority users can clean up any KOs Gardevoir may have missed; Ambipom, Hariyama, and Hitmontop all make excellent teammates, as do the aforementioned Donphan and Cloyster. Fire-types can make the most of a lack of Rain Dance, especially Arcanine, Houndoom, and Blaziken. Pursuit trappers can trap and KO Gardevoir, so pairing Gardevoir with a Fighting-type such as Toxicroak, Hitmonlee, or the aforementioned Hariyama and Hitmontop ensures that your team can easily avenge her should she be KOed while trying to escape. As Gardevoir still has problems with Ghost-types even when using Shadow Ball, pairing her with a Pursuit user of your own can prove highly beneficial and can allow her to continue a clean sweep of the opponent's team.</p>

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wasn't on QC team by then but didn't Eo and Jabba say something different regarding the order of slashes? His post says something along the lines of:

-Psychic
-Will-O-Wisp
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball

Which makes a little more sense than the current one. I don't know if it's feasible to look into this matter as the set has already been written up, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Shit I missed that, ahhhh, well it won't take me too long to fix it a little. Not too big of a deal.

EDIT: Hmmm, I disagree with Focus Blast getting the slash over Signal Beam. The accuracy is a turn off, and I feel Gardevoir will get more mileage out of Signal Beam. It's not like Gardevoir can get past Registeel, Chansey, and Clefable easily anyway. What do you think?

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
Focus Blast is still a 2HKO on Registeel and actually deals like 80% to Clefable or so, which is a KO if it switches into Psychic. I remember when this thread was created the main thing QC People tried to change was to make her a self-sustaining sweeper but that worked amazingly as a Rain Check, which it kinda does just with Psychic and Tbolt, leaving the slot free for Blast and Signal Beam. I'd advocate a change on the order of slashes to Focus Blast / Signal Beam, but that's really just me, as when I played against this set Focus Blast just played a major role.

Oglemi

Borf
OK, it shall be switched then. I'll get to rewording it.

EDIT: OK, I think I got the write-up fixed. I don't think it's as good as it was, but it's still do-able.

Oglemi

Borf
Not really because Mismagius and Rotom are really too big of threats, not to mention fellow Psychic-types, and Eo stated he'd like to see Shadow Ball slashed over Energy Ball.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
Oh yeah, I forgot to say (and I don't know if you mentioned in the analysis, but I haven't found it) that Shadow Ball and Signal Beam shouldn't be used in conjunction. Otherwise it looks good now.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Even with Shadow Ball you never OHKO Mismagius, and Rotom has a 75% chance to be OHKOed by Psychic, so I don't think you're gaining much against the Ghosts with it. But I guess if you aren't using Signal Beam it would help for other Psychics.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

<so pretty>

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gardevoir

I'm taking this over for GtM, who got this set through QC here.

This write up is surprisingly long because there really is so much to say about the set.

[SET]
name: Life Orb (Rain Check)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Gardevoir set is a little more specialized, and therefore more situational, than the other sets, but it still functions well in the metagame. The basic premise of the set is to use Gardevoir primarily as an all out attacker, while at the same time becoming one of the best Rain Dance checks in its tier. When countering rain teams, the idea is to switch Gardevoir into the opponent's Swift Swim sweeper and copy their ability with Trace. After Gardevoir has Traced their Swift Swim, she becomes faster than every Swift Swimmer with the exception of Floatzel and Qwilfish. From there, Gardevoir uses the rain to her advantage and turns the table on the opponent, forcing them on the defensive. The great thing about Gardevoir as a rain check is that she can continue to sweep outside of the rain, thanks to her good Speed stat.</p>

<p>Psychic is the STAB of choice and is a nice strong and reliable move, and lets her destroy Venusaur and the multitude of Fighting-types in the tier. The rest of the moves give Gardevoir excellent coverage as well as give her the best possible moves to counter-sweep a rain team. Thunderbolt combines with Psychic for near perfect neutral coverage in UU, as it smacks Milotic, Moltres, and Slowbro for super effective damage; it also OHKOes the following rain sweepers: Gorebyss, Huntail, Floatzel, Omastar, Kabutops, and Qwilfish. Shadow Ball can be run over Thunderbolt to nail Ghost-types, especially Rotom and Mismagius, for super effective damage. It also hits fellow Psychic-types for super effective damage. As Gardevoir is an attacker first and a rain check second, being walled too easily by Registeel, Chansey, and Clefable is a problem. Focus Blast solves this problem by 2HKOing Registeel, and dealing 74.6% - 88.3% to the standard Clefable, which is a KO combined with Psychic. Unfortunately, Gardevoir remains utterly walled by Chansey. If you find Focus Blast's accuracy is a huge turn off, Signal Beam is a good substitute, allowing Gardevoir to hit Ludicolo, the most popular rain sweeper in UU, fellow Psychic-types, such as Uxie, Mesprit, and Slowking, and Tangrowth and Leafeon for super effective damage; coincidentally the aforementioned Psychic-types are also common rain starters. Take notice, Shadow Ball and Signal Beam should never be used in conjunction as they have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Gardevoir will then be rendered ineffective against a whole myriad of Pokemon. The last slot is left for Will-O-Wisp, which is Gardevoir's best auxiliary move inside and outside rain, allowing her to cripple potential Dark-type counters, such as Spiritomb, Absol, Drapion, and Skuntank.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be run over Life Orb thanks to Gardevoir's excellent super effective coverage, and it also gives her a little more survivability. However, the slight loss in power is a turn off and also requires Thunderbolt to be run to ensure the OHKO on the aforementioned rain sweepers. Energy Ball is a nice replacement for Thunderbolt and gets all the same OHKOes on the rain sweepers, while also having the added benefit of hitting Rhyperior, Donphan, and Lanturn for super effective damage. If you are hell-bent on stopping rain at all costs, Taunt can be used to ensure Rain Dance cannot be used again. Outside of rain, Taunt lets Gardevoir shut down Chansey, Registeel, and Clefable without the need for Focus Blast. Finally, Reflect or Light Screen can be used to provide a buff against incoming revenge killers, such as Dark-type Pursuit users, as well as support the rest of Gardevoir's team.</p>

<p>If rain is not a factor in the battle, Gardevoir works simply as an all out attacker. Just bring in Gardevoir on a weak special attack, such as Milotic's Surf, and let loose with any attack your heart desires. Gardevoir's ability also comes into play here, as she is able to Trace Lanturn's Volt Absorb as she switches in and actually be healed from Lanturn's Thunderbolt. She can do the same to Water Absorb users such as Quagsire and Poliwrath, and Flash Fire users such as Arcanine and Houndoom (extreme caution should be taken around the latter however.) The trickiness comes into play when using Gardevoir as a rain check, as her low physical defense makes it hard for her to switch into said Swift Swim sweepers safely. She is OHKOed by most of their attacks under the rain, so in most cases she will have to be brought in after a teammate has been KOed. Another strategy is to employ a double-switch with a teammate such as Registeel, who walls a majority of rain sweepers. U-turn from a partner such as Uxie will also give her the opportunity to come in safely. Coincidentally, Gardevoir also makes a good Sunny Day check. With Signal Beam and Psychic, she has no problem OHKOing a majority of the normal Chlorophyll sweepers, such as Shiftry, Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Vileplume, as well as getting a near OHKO on Tangrowth.</p>

<p>Donphan and Cloyster make good teammates; they can Rapid Spin, wall physical attacks aimed at Gardevoir, and provide their own entry hazards. Lead Cloyster can also prevent Uxie from getting up Stealth Rock while also setting up its own. Priority users can clean up any KOes Gardevoir may have missed; Ambipom, Hariyama, and Hitmontop all make good teammates, as do Donphan and Cloyster, although Ice Shard might lose power against rain teams. Fire-types can make the most of a lack of Rain Dance, especially Arcanine, Houndoom and Blaziken. Pursuit trappers can trap and KO Gardevoir, so pairing Gardevoir with a Fighting-type, such as the aforementioned Hariyama and Hitmontop, or Toxicroak and Hitmonlee, can easily avenge her should she be KOed from trying to escape. As Gardevoir still has problems with Ghost-types even with Shadow Ball, pairing her with a Pursuit user of your own can prove highly beneficial and allow her to continue a clean sweep of the opponent's team.</p>
Great write up. Transitions well, and has very few mistakes that I can see.

Oglemi

Borf
Thanks for the check Eraddd.

I didn't change the part about Gardevoir being left out in the cold because I like it too much. I'll change it though if the GPers have a problem with it.

Next in line please.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not too much to change, but some punctuation changes have been made in my edit.

Add
Remove
Grammar
Comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Gardevoir set is a little more specialized, and therefore more situational, than the other sets, but it still functions well in the metagame. The basic premise of the set is to use Gardevoir primarily as an all out attacker, while at the same time becoming one of the best Rain Dance checks in the UU tier. When countering rain teams, the idea is to switch Gardevoir into the opponent's Swift Swim sweeper and copy their ability with Trace. After Gardevoir has Traced their Swift Swim, she becomes faster than every Swift Swimmer with the exception of Floatzel and Qwilfish. From there, Gardevoir uses the rain to her advantage and turns the table on the opponent, forcing them on the defensive. The great thing about Gardevoir as a rain check is that she can continue to sweep outside of the rain, thanks to her good Speed stat.</p>

<p>Psychic is the STAB of choice and is a nice, strong, and reliable move, and lets her destroy Venusaur and the multitude of Fighting-types in the tier. The rest of the moves give Gardevoir excellent coverage as well as give her the best possible moves to counter-sweep a rain team. Thunderbolt combines with Psychic for near perfect neutral coverage in UU, as it smacks Milotic, Moltres, and Slowbro for super effective damage; it also OHKOes the following rain sweepers: Gorebyss, Huntail, Floatzel, Omastar, Kabutops, and Qwilfish. Shadow Ball can be run over Thunderbolt to nail Ghost-types, especially Rotom and Mismagius, for super effective damage. It also hits fellow Psychic-types for super effective damage. As Gardevoir is an attacker first and a rain check second, being walled too easily by Registeel, Chansey, and Clefable is a problem. Focus Blast solves this problem by 2HKOing Registeel, and dealing 74.6% - 88.3% to the standard Clefable, which is a KO combined with Psychic. Unfortunately, Gardevoir remains utterly walled by Chansey. If you find Focus Blast's accuracy is a huge turn off, Signal Beam is a good substitute, allowing Gardevoir to hit Ludicolo, the most popular rain sweeper in UU, fellow Psychic-types, such as Uxie, Mesprit, and Slowking, and Tangrowth and Leafeon for super effective damage; coincidentally, the aforementioned Psychic-types are also common rain starters. Take notice: , Shadow Ball and Signal Beam should never be used in conjunction as they have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Gardevoir will be left out in the cold versus a whole myriad of Pokemon. The last slot is left for Will-O-Wisp, which is Gardevoir's best auxiliary move inside and outside rain, allowing her to cripple potential Dark-type counters, such as Spiritomb, Absol, Drapion, and Skuntank.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be run over Life Orb thanks to Gardevoir's excellent super effective coverage, and it also gives her a little more survivability. However, the slight loss in power is a turn off and also requires Thunderbolt to be run to ensure the OHKO on the aforementioned rain sweepers. Energy Ball is a nice replacement for Thunderbolt and gets all the same OHKOes on the rain sweepers, while also having the added benefit of hitting Rhyperior, Donphan, and Lanturn for super effective damage. If you are hell-bent on stopping rain at all costs, Taunt can be used to ensure Rain Dance cannot be used again. Outside of rain, Taunt lets Gardevoir shut down Chansey, Registeel, and Clefable without the need for Focus Blast. Finally, Reflect or Light Screen can be used to provide a buff against incoming revenge killers, such as Dark-type Pursuit users, as well as support the rest of Gardevoir's team.</p>

<p>If rain is not a factor in the battle, Gardevoir works simply as an all-out attacker. Just bring in Gardevoir on a weak special attack, such as Milotic's Surf, and let loose with any attack your heart desires. Gardevoir's ability also comes into play here, as she is able to Trace Lanturn's Volt Absorb as she switches in and to actually be healed from Lanturn's Thunderbolt. She can do the same to Water Absorb users such as Quagsire and Poliwrath, and Flash Fire users such as Arcanine and Houndoom (extreme caution should be taken around the latter, however.) The trickiness comes into play when using Gardevoir as a rain check, as her low physical defense makes it hard for her to switch into said Swift Swim sweepers safely. She is OHKOed by most of their attacks under the rain, so in most cases she will have to be brought in after a teammate has been KOed. Another strategy is to employ a double-switch with a teammate such as Registeel, who walls a majority of rain sweepers. U-turn from a partner such as Uxie will also give her the opportunity to come in safely. Coincidentally, Gardevoir also makes a good Sunny Day check. With Signal Beam and Psychic, she has no problem OHKOing a majority of the normal Chlorophyll sweepers, such as Shiftry, Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Vileplume, as well as getting a near OHKO on Tangrowth.</p>

<p>Donphan and Cloyster make good teammates; they can Rapid Spin, wall physical attacks aimed at Gardevoir, and provide their own entry hazards. Lead Cloyster can also prevent Uxie from getting up Stealth Rock while also setting up its own. Priority users can clean up any KOes Gardevoir may have missed; Ambipom, Hariyama, and Hitmontop all make excellent teammates, as do Donphan and Cloyster. Fire-types can make the most of a lack of Rain Dance, especially Arcanine, Houndoom and Blaziken. Pursuit trappers can trap and KO Gardevoir, so pairing Gardevoir with a Fighting-type, such as the aforementioned Hariyama and Hitmontop, or Toxicroak and Hitmonlee, can easily avenge her should she be KOed from trying to escape. As Gardevoir still has problems with Ghost-types even with Shadow Ball, pairing her with a Pursuit user of your own can prove highly beneficial and allow her to continue a clean sweep of the opponent's team.</p>

Aha, excellent. Glad to see this is getting somewhere, and I'm also glad to see that someone else is a big fan of Signal Beam :P Sorry for not writing this up myself, but I initially decided that this was too similar to the Choice set currently posted to warrant a seperate set, or at least in terms of EVs, Item and coverage moves. I thought it would be mentioned in other options, but I'm glad you thought it was worthy of a full blown set.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Gardevoir set is a little more specialized, and therefore more situational, than the other sets, but it still functions well in the metagame. The basic premise of the set is to use Gardevoir primarily (makes the sentence run on) as an all out attacker, while at the same time becoming one of the best Rain Dance checks in the UU tier. When countering rain teams, the idea is to switch Gardevoir into the opponent's Swift Swimmer sweeper and copy their ability with Trace. After Gardevoir has Traced their ability Swift Swim (this makes it sound repetetive since the next part mentions it), she becomes faster than every Swift Swimmer with the exception of Floatzel and Qwilfish. From there, Gardevoir uses the rain to her advantage and turns the table on the opponent, forcing them on the defensive. The great thing about Gardevoir as a rain check is that she can continue to sweep outside of the rain, thanks to her good Speed stat.</p>

<p>Psychic is the STAB of choice and is a nice, strong, and reliable move, and lets her destroy Venusaur and the multitude of Fighting-types in the tier. The rest of the moves give Gardevoir excellent coverage as well as giving her the best possible moves to counter-sweep a rain team. Thunderbolt combines with Psychic for near perfect neutral coverage in UU, as it smacks Milotic, Moltres, and Slowbro for super effective damage; it also OHKOes the following rain sweepers: Gorebyss, Huntail, Floatzel, Omastar, Kabutops, and Qwilfish. Shadow Ball can be run over Thunderbolt to nail Ghost-types, especially Rotom and Mismagius, for super effective damage. It also hits fellow Psychic-types for super effective damage. As Gardevoir is an attacker first and a rain check second, being walled too easily by Registeel, Chansey, and Clefable is a problem. Focus Blast solves this problem by 2HKOing Registeel, and dealing 74.6% - 88.3% to the standard Clefable, which is a KO combined with Psychic. Unfortunately, Gardevoir remains utterly walled by Chansey. If you find Focus Blast's accuracy is a huge turn off, Signal Beam is a good substitute, allowing Gardevoir to hit Ludicolo, the most popular rain sweeper in UU, fellow Psychic-types, such as Uxie, Mesprit, and Slowking, and Tangrowth and Leafeon for super effective damage; coincidentally, the aforementioned Psychic-types are also common rain starters. Take notice: Shadow Ball and Signal Beam should never be used in conjunction as they have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Gardevoir will be left out in the cold versus a whole myriad of Pokemon. The last slot is left for Will-O-Wisp, which is Gardevoir's best auxiliary move inside and outside rain, allowing her to cripple potential Dark-type counters such as Spiritomb, Absol, Drapion, and Skuntank.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be run over Life Orb thanks to Gardevoir's excellent super effective coverage, and it also gives her a little more survivability. However, the slight loss in power is a turn off and also requires Thunderbolt to be run to ensure the OHKO on the aforementioned rain sweepers. Energy Ball is a nice replacement for Thunderbolt and gets all the same OHKOes on the rain sweepers, while also having the added benefit of hitting Rhyperior, Donphan, and Lanturn for super effective damage. If you are hell-bent on stopping rain at all costs, Taunt can be used to ensure Rain Dance cannot be used again. Outside of rain, Taunt lets Gardevoir shut down Chansey, Registeel, and Clefable without the need for Focus Blast. Finally, Reflect or Light Screen can be used to provide a buff against incoming revenge killers such as Dark-type Pursuit users, as well as support the rest of Gardevoir's team.</p>

<p>If rain is not a factor in the battle, Gardevoir works simply as an all-out attacker. Just bring in Gardevoir on a weak special attack, such as Milotic's Surf, and let loose with any attack your heart desires. Gardevoir's ability also comes into play here, as she is able to Trace Lanturn's Volt Absorb as she switches in and be healed from Lanturn's Thunderbolt. She can do the same to Water Absorb users such as Quagsire and Poliwrath and Flash Fire users such as Arcanine and Houndoom (extreme caution should be taken around the latter, however.). (full stop should be outside bracket) The trickiness comes into play when using Gardevoir as a rain check, as her low physical defense makes it hard for her to switch into said Swift Swim sweepers safely. She is OHKOed by most of their attacks under the rain, so in most cases she will have to be brought in after a teammate has been KOed. Another strategy is to employ a double-switch with a teammate such as Registeel, who walls a majority of rain sweepers. U-turn from a partner such as Uxie will also give her the opportunity to come in safely. Coincidentally, Gardevoir also makes a good Sunny Day check. With Signal Beam and Psychic, she has no problem OHKOing a majority of the normal Chlorophyll sweepers, such as Shiftry, Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Vileplume, as well as getting a near OHKO on Tangrowth.</p>

<p>Donphan and Cloyster make good teammates; they can Rapid Spin, wall physical attacks aimed at Gardevoir, and provide their own entry hazards. Lead Cloyster can also prevent Uxie from getting up Stealth Rock while also setting up its own. Priority users can clean up any KOes Gardevoir may have missed; Ambipom, Hariyama, and Hitmontop all make excellent teammates, as do Donphan and Cloyster. Fire-types can make the most of a lack of Rain Dance, especially Arcanine, Houndoom, (comma) and Blaziken. Pursuit trappers can trap and KO Gardevoir, so pairing Gardevoir with a Fighting-type, such as the aforementioned Hariyama and Hitmontop, or Toxicroak and Hitmonlee, can easily avenge her should she be KOed from trying to escape. As Gardevoir still has problems with Ghost-types even with Shadow Ball, pairing her with a Pursuit user of your own can prove highly beneficial and allow her to continue a clean sweep of the opponent's team.</p>

Blue is changes
Red is removal
Black is comment / explaination

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Gardevoir set is a little more specialized, and therefore more situational than the other sets, but it still functions well in the UU metagame. The basic premise of the set is to use Gardevoir as an all out attacker, while at the same time becoming one of the best Rain Dance checks in the UU tier. When countering rain teams, the idea is to switch Gardevoir into the opponent's Swift Swimmer and copy their ability with Trace. After Gardevoir has Traced their ability, she becomes faster than every Swift Swimmer with the exception of Floatzel and Qwilfish. From there, Gardevoir uses the rain to her advantage and turns the tables on the opponent, forcing them on the defensive. The great thing about Gardevoir as a rain check is that she can continue to sweep outside of the rain, thanks to her good Speed stat.</p>

<p>Psychic is the STAB of choice and is a nice, strong, and reliable move, and lets allowing her to destroy Venusaur and the multitude of Fighting-types in the tier. The rest of the moves give Gardevoir excellent coverage, as well as the best possible moves to counter-sweep a rain team. Thunderbolt combines with Psychic for near perfect neutral coverage in UU, as it smacks Milotic, Moltres, and Slowbro for super effective damage; it also OHKOes the following rain sweepers: Gorebyss, Huntail, Floatzel, Omastar, Kabutops, and Qwilfish. Shadow Ball can be run over Thunderbolt to nail Ghost-types, especially Rotom and Mismagius, for super effective damage. It , and also hits fellow Psychic-types for super effective damage. As Gardevoir is an attacker first and a rain check second, being walled too easily by common walls like Registeel, Chansey, and Clefable is a problem. Focus Blast solves this problem by 2HKOing Registeel, and dealing 74.6% - 88.3% to the standard Clefable, which is a KO combined with Psychic. Unfortunately, Gardevoir remains utterly walled by Chansey. If you find Focus Blast's accuracy a huge turn off, Signal Beam is a good substitute, allowing Gardevoir to hit Ludicolo, the most popular rain sweeper in UU, fellow Psychic-types, such as Uxie, Mesprit, and Slowking, and Tangrowth and Leafeon for super effective damage; coincidentally, the aforementioned Psychic-types are also common rain starters. Take notice: Shadow Ball and Signal Beam should never be used in conjunction as they have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Gardevoir will be left out in the cold versus a whole myriad of Pokemon. The last slot is left for Will-O-Wisp, which is Gardevoir's best auxiliary move inside and outside rain, allowing her to cripple potential Dark-type counters such as Spiritomb, Absol, Drapion, and Skuntank.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be run over Life Orb thanks to Gardevoir's excellent super effective coverage, and it also gives her a little more survivability. However, the slight loss in power is a turn off and also requires Thunderbolt to be run to ensure the OHKO on the aforementioned rain sweepers. Energy Ball is a nice replacement for Thunderbolt, and gets all the same OHKOes on the rain sweepers, while also having the added benefit of hitting Rhyperior, Donphan, and Lanturn for super effective damage. If you are hell-bent on stopping rain at all costs, Taunt can be used to ensure Rain Dance cannot be used again. Outside of rain, Taunt lets Gardevoir shut down Chansey, Registeel, and Clefable without the need for Focus Blast. Finally, Reflect or Light Screen can be used to provide a buff against incoming revenge killers such as Dark-type Pursuit users, as well as support the rest of Gardevoir's team.</p>

<p>If rain is not a factor in the battle, Gardevoir works simply well as an all-out attacker. Just bring in Gardevoir on a weak special attack, such as Milotic's Surf, and let loose with any attack your heart desires. Gardevoir's ability also comes into play here, as she is able to Trace Lanturn's Volt Absorb as she switches in and be healed from Lanturn's Thunderbolt. She can do the same to Water Absorb users such as Quagsire and Poliwrath and Flash Fire users such as Arcanine and Houndoom (extreme caution should be taken around the latter, however). The trickiness comes into play when using Gardevoir as a rain check, as her low physical defense makes it hard for her to switch into said Swift Swim sweepers safely. She is OHKOed by most of their attacks under the rain, so in most cases she will have to be brought in after a teammate has been KOed. Another strategy is to employ a double-switch with a teammate such as Registeel, who walls a majority of rain sweepers. U-turn from a partner such as Uxie will also give her the opportunity to come in safely. Coincidentally, Gardevoir also makes a good Sunny Day check. With Signal Beam and Psychic, she has no problem OHKOing a majority of the normal Chlorophyll sweepers, such as Shiftry, Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Vileplume, as well as getting and gets a near OHKO on Tangrowth.</p>

<p>Donphan and Cloyster make good teammates; they can Rapid Spin, wall physical attacks aimed at Gardevoir, and provide their own entry hazards. Lead Cloyster can also prevent Uxie from getting up Stealth Rock while also setting up its own. Priority users can clean up any KOes Gardevoir may have missed; Ambipom, Hariyama, and Hitmontop all make excellent teammates, as do Donphan and Cloyster. Fire-types can make the most of a lack of Rain Dance, especially Arcanine, Houndoom, and Blaziken. Pursuit trappers can trap and KO Gardevoir, so pairing Gardevoir with a Fighting-type, such as the aforementioned Hariyama and Hitmontop, or Toxicroak and Hitmonlee, can easily avenge her should she be KOed from while trying to escape. As Gardevoir still has problems with Ghost-types even with Shadow Ball, pairing her with a Pursuit user of your own can prove highly beneficial and can allow her to continue a clean sweep of the opponent's team.</p>
Blue is for additions.
Red is for removals.

There were a large amount of double spaces after periods; I don't think that matters, but it bothered me. Also, I'm not sure about the first comma I removed; I think it makes the sentence flow better, but since no one else decided to remove it, I'd probably keep the comma.

I hope this helps!

Oglemi

Borf
Thanks cosmic, made a number of your changes. Some of them were purely flavor changes, so I left the ones that I like.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
removals in red
additions in bold

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Gardevoir set is a little more specialized, and therefore more situational, than her other sets, but it still functions well in the UU metagame. The basic premise of the set is to use Gardevoir as an all out attacker, while at the same time acting as one of the best Rain Dance checks in the UU tier. When countering rain teams, the idea is to switch Gardevoir into one of the opponent's Swift Swimmers and copy its ability with Trace. After Gardevoir has Traced Swift Swim, she becomes faster than every Swift Swimmer with the exceptions of Floatzel and Qwilfish. From there, Gardevoir uses the rain to her advantage and turns the tables on the opponent, forcing them to go on the defensive. The great thing about Gardevoir as a rain check is that she can continue to sweep outside of the rain, thanks to her good Speed stat.</p>

<p>Psychic is the STAB move of choice and is a nice, strong, and reliable move that allows Gardevoir to destroy Venusaur and the multitude of Fighting-types in the tier. The other moves give Gardevoir excellent coverage, as well as the best possible combination of moves to counter-sweep a rain team. Thunderbolt combines with Psychic for near perfect neutral coverage in UU, as it smacks Milotic, Moltres, and Slowbro for super effective damage; it also OHKOes the following rain sweepers: Gorebyss, Huntail, Floatzel, Omastar, Kabutops, and Qwilfish. Shadow Ball can be run over Thunderbolt to nail Ghost-types, especially Rotom and Mismagius, for super effective damage, and also hits fellow Psychic-types for super effective damage. As Gardevoir is an attacker first and a rain check second, being walled too easily by common walls such as Registeel, Chansey, and Clefable is a problem. Focus Blast solves this problem by 2HKOing Registeel, and dealing 74.6% - 88.3% to the standard Clefable, which is a KO if Clefable switches in on Psychic. Unfortunately, Gardevoir remains utterly walled by Chansey. If you find Focus Blast's accuracy a huge turn off, Signal Beam is a good substitute, allowing Gardevoir to hit Ludicolo, the most popular rain sweeper in UU, fellow Psychic-types, such as Uxie, Mesprit, and Slowking, and pure Grass-types, such as Tangrowth and Leafeon, for super effective damage; coincidentally, the aforementioned Psychic-types are also common rain starters. Take notice: Shadow Ball and Signal Beam should never be used in conjunction, as they have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Gardevoir will be left out in the cold versus a whole myriad of Pokemon. The last slot is left for Will-O-Wisp, which is Gardevoir's best auxiliary move inside and outside rain, allowing her to cripple potential Dark-type counters such as Spiritomb, Absol, Drapion, and Skuntank.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be run over Life Orb thanks to Gardevoir's excellent super effective coverage, and it also gives her a little more survivability. However, the slight loss in power is a turn off, as Expert Belt and makes it so that Gardevoir is required to run Thunderbolt to be run to ensure the OHKO on the aforementioned rain sweepers. Energy Ball is a nice replacement for Thunderbolt, and gets all the same OHKOs on the rain sweepers, while also having the added benefit of hitting Rhyperior, Donphan, and Lanturn for super effective damage. If you are hell-bent on stopping rain at all costs, Taunt can be used to ensure that Rain Dance cannot be used again. Outside of rain, Taunt lets Gardevoir shut down Chansey, Registeel, and Clefable without the need for Focus Blast. Finally, Reflect or Light Screen can be used to provide a buff against incoming revenge killers such as Dark-type Pursuit users, as well as to support the rest of Gardevoir's team.</p>

<p>If rain is not a factor in the battle, Gardevoir works well as an all-out attacker. Just bring in Gardevoir on a weak special attack, such as Milotic's Surf, and let loose with any attack your heart desires. Gardevoir's ability also comes into play here, as she is able to Trace Lanturn's Volt Absorb as she switches in and be healed from Lanturn's Thunderbolt. She can do the same to Water Absorb users such as Quagsire and Poliwrath and Flash Fire users such as Arcanine and Houndoom (extreme caution should be taken around the latter, however). The trickiness comes into play when using Gardevoir as a rain check, as her low physical defense makes it hard for her to switch into said Swift Swim sweepers safely. She is OHKOed by most of their attacks under the rain, so in most cases she will have to be brought in after a teammate has been KOed. Another strategy is to employ a double-switch with a teammate such as Registeel, who walls a majority of rain sweepers. U-turn from a partner such as Uxie will also give her the opportunity to come in safely. Coincidentally, Gardevoir also makes a good Sunny Day check. With Signal Beam and Psychic, she has no problem OHKOing a majority of the normal Chlorophyll sweepers, such as Shiftry, Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Vileplume, and gets a near OHKO on Tangrowth.</p>

<p>Donphan and Cloyster make good teammates; they can Rapid Spin, wall physical attacks aimed at Gardevoir, and set up their own entry hazards. Lead Cloyster can also prevent Uxie from getting up Stealth Rock while also setting up its own. Priority users can clean up any KOs Gardevoir may have missed; Ambipom, Hariyama, and Hitmontop all make excellent teammates, as do the aforementioned Donphan and Cloyster. Fire-types can make the most of a lack of Rain Dance, especially Arcanine, Houndoom, and Blaziken. Pursuit trappers can trap and KO Gardevoir, so pairing Gardevoir with a Fighting-type, such as the aforementioned Hariyama and Hitmontop, or Toxicroak, and Hitmonlee, or the aforementioned Hariyama and Hitmontop, ensures that your team can easily avenge her should she be KOed while trying to escape. As Gardevoir still has problems with Ghost-types even with Shadow Ball, pairing her with a Pursuit user of your own can prove highly beneficial and can allow her to continue a clean sweep of the opponent's team.</p>

awesome writeup.

GP CHECK 1/2
*ALAKAZAM*

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
GP CHECK 2/2

blue is additions
red is removals

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Gardevoir set is a little more specialized, and therefore more situational, than her other sets, but it still functions well in the UU metagame. The basic premise of the set is to use Gardevoir as an all out attacker, while at the same time acting as one of the best Rain Dance checks in the UU tier. When countering rain teams, the idea is to switch Gardevoir into one of the opponent's Swift Swimmers and copy its ability with Trace. After Gardevoir has Traced Swift Swim, she becomes faster than every Swift Swimmer (with the exceptions of Floatzel and Qwilfish). From there, Gardevoir uses the rain to her advantage and turns the tables on the opponent, forcing them to go on the defensive. The great thing about Gardevoir as a rain check is that she can continue to sweep outside of the rain, thanks to her good Speed stat and tremendous Special Attack stats.</p>

<p>Psychic is the STAB move of choice and is a nice, strong, and reliable move, move that allows Gardevoir to destroy Venusaur and the multitude of Fighting-types in the tier. The other moves give Gardevoir excellent coverage, as well as the best possible combination of moves to counter-sweep a rain team. Thunderbolt combines with Psychic for near perfect neutral coverage in UU, as it smacks Milotic, Moltres, and Slowbro for super effective damage; it also OHKOes the following rain sweepers: Gorebyss, Huntail, Floatzel, Omastar, Kabutops, and Qwilfish. Shadow Ball can be run over Thunderbolt to nail Ghost-types, especially Rotom and Mismagius, for super effective damage, and also hits fellow Psychic-types for super effective damage. As Gardevoir is an attacker first and a rain check second, being walled too easily by common walls such as Registeel, Chansey, and Clefable is a problem. Focus Blast solves this problem by 2HKOing Registeel and dealing 74.6% - 88.3% to the standard Clefable, which is a KO if Clefable first switches in on Psychic. Unfortunately, Gardevoir remains utterly walled by Chansey. If you find Focus Blast's accuracy to be a huge turn off, Signal Beam is a good substitute, allowing Gardevoir to hit Ludicolo, the most popular rain sweeper in UU, fellow Psychic-types, such as Uxie, Mesprit, and Slowking, and pure Grass-types, such as like Tangrowth and Leafeon, for super effective damage; coincidentally, the aforementioned Psychic-types are also common rain starters. Take notice: Keep in mind that Shadow Ball and Signal Beam should never be used in conjunction, as they have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Gardevoir will be left out in the cold versus a whole myriad of Pokemon. The last slot is left for Will-O-Wisp, which is Gardevoir's best auxiliary move inside and outside rain, allowing her to cripple potential Dark-type counters such as Spiritomb, Absol, Drapion, and Skuntank.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be run over Life Orb thanks to Gardevoir's excellent super effective coverage, and it also gives her a little more survivability. However, the slight loss in power is a turn off, as Expert Belt makes it so that Gardevoir is required to run Thunderbolt to OHKO the aforementioned rain sweepers. Energy Ball is a nice replacement for Thunderbolt, and gets all the same OHKOs on the rain sweepers while also having the added benefit of hitting Rhyperior, Donphan, and Lanturn for super effective damage. If you are hell-bent on stopping rain at all costs, Taunt can be used to ensure that Rain Dance cannot be used again. Outside of rain, Taunt lets Gardevoir shut down Chansey, Registeel, and Clefable without the need for Focus Blast. Finally, Reflect or Light Screen can be used to provide a buff buffer against incoming revenge killers such as Dark-type Pursuit users, as well as to support the rest of Gardevoir's team.</p>

<p>If rain is not a factor in the battle, Gardevoir works well as an all-out attacker. Just bring in Gardevoir on a weak special attack, such as Milotic's Surf, and let loose with any attack your heart desires. Gardevoir's ability also comes into play here, as she is able to Trace Lanturn's Volt Absorb as she switches in and be healed from Lanturn's Thunderbolt. She can do the same to Water Absorb users such as Quagsire and Poliwrath, and Flash Fire users such as like Arcanine and Houndoom (extreme caution should be taken around the latter, however). The trickiness comes into play when using Gardevoir as a rain check, as her low physical defense makes it hard for her to switch into said the above Swift Swim sweepers safely. She is OHKOed by most of their attacks under the rain, so in most cases she will have to be brought in after a teammate has been KOed. Another strategy is to employ a double-switch with a teammate such as Registeel, who walls a majority of rain sweepers. U-turn from a partner such as Uxie will also give her the opportunity to come in safely. Coincidentally, Gardevoir also makes a good Sunny Day check. With Signal Beam and Psychic, she has no problem OHKOing a majority of the normal Chlorophyll sweepers, such as Shiftry, Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Vileplume, and gets a near OHKO on Tangrowth.</p>

<p>Donphan and Cloyster make good teammates; they can Rapid Spin, wall physical attacks aimed at Gardevoir, and set up their own entry hazards. Lead Cloyster can also prevent Uxie from getting up Stealth Rock while also setting up its own. Priority users can clean up any KOs Gardevoir may have missed; Ambipom, Hariyama, and Hitmontop all make excellent teammates, as do the aforementioned Donphan and Cloyster. Fire-types can make the most of a lack of Rain Dance, especially Arcanine, Houndoom, and Blaziken. Pursuit trappers can trap and KO Gardevoir, so pairing Gardevoir with a Fighting-type such as Toxicroak, Hitmonlee, or the aforementioned Hariyama and Hitmontop, ensures that your team can easily avenge her should she be KOed while trying to escape. As Gardevoir still has problems with Ghost-types even with when using Shadow Ball, pairing her with a Pursuit user of your own can prove highly beneficial and can allow her to continue a clean sweep of the opponent's team.</p>

i love oglemi

Oglemi

Borf
Added your check Snorlaxe!

This is now Done!!

P.S. I <3 you too Snorlaxe!! :3 (not so much uragg though... lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)