Dragged Down from the Heavens | A Sandstorm DW Ubers RMT

Dragged Down From the Heavens

Introduction:
So, in Ubers, two weathers dominate, mostly: Rain, and Sun. This is due to the strength of the weather starters and the abusers. However, in Gen V, Sandstorm got a new buff with the addition of Randorosu and Doryuuzu. So, I decided to make a team for Ubers that utilized Sandstorm while not falling to the other weathers. After playing with this team I think I can say this:
SANDSTORM IS UBER STRONG
Team At A Glance:

THE LEAD (IN A TEAM PREVIEW WORLD):

Genosekuto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 216 Atk / 36 SAtk / 255 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

Genosect is quite an amazing Pokemon. He easily revenges all types of Rayquaza (which is why I need 36 SAtk), does ~80% to anything weak to U-Turn assuming no boost, and can easily kill a Pokemon with Explosion. The best part about Genosect, however, is that I will only let leads set up one layer of any hazard at most, by U-Turning.
How I Beat the Most Common Leads:
Deoxys- U-Turn into Tyranitar, where they are killed by the SS damage.
Forretress - U-Turn into Shandera, and Custap Berry is made useless.
Groudon - U-Turn into Shandera, since they ALWAYS set up SR round one.
Kyogre - U-Turn into Gastrodon, then move according to how their team is made up.
Rayquaza - U-Turn into Shandera, where they will be beaten by HP Ice.

GROUDON KILLER

Shandera (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Memento
- Overheat
This Pokemon is probably the most fearsome Pokemon in Ubers. Shadow Tag is broken by itself, but combine it with a 145 SpAtk and a 140 BP Move, and you have Shandera. Shandera basically fulfills one role: it can defeat Groudon (usually by double-switching into it.) The other reason Shandera is amazing is that it provides me with a one time stop to all Arceus. I can Memento, then switch into Genosect for an Explosion.

SAND-STARTER

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
The #3 most manly Pokemon (although it should really be #1) is amazing, even in Ubers. It serves as my main Ho-oh check, as well as just a bulky special sponge. It also works to remove annoying Giratina-O who annoy Doryuuzu to no end.

SAND SWEEPER

Randorosu (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Power
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
This thing is a beast. With sandstorm up, it basically 2HKOes the whole metagame. It also serves as my main Groudon check, since it takes <50% from a LO Stone Edge iirc. It also works as a good late game sweeper once Doryuuzu has weakened the opposing team.

SAND SWEEPER

Doryuuzu (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Throw
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
This Pokemon almost needs no introduction. Doryuuzu is amazing in OU, and it's still amazing in Ubers. It's amazingly easy to sweep offensive teams with this Pokemon, and after a SD, you deal up to 80% to Giratina. Needless to say, this Pokemon sweeps teams when combined with Randorosu.

KILLER OF THE SEA

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 255 HP / 255 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Earth Power
And finally, the star of the show. Seriously. This slug is probably the number one reason that my team doesn't fall apart when facing strong special attackers like Palkia and Kyogre. This thing hard counters Kyogre, and can easily stall out Pokemon like Reshiram who think they can hurt me with Draco Meteor. Gastrodon can easily Recover back all the HP he loses after the SpAtk drop.

Trouble Pokemon:
SpecsPalkia- I have no safe switch-ins, and have to sac at least one pokemon to take it down.
Groudon - If I cannot take it down with Shandera, I'm basically screwed.
Lugia - Multiscale Lugia (along with stall) basically walls this whole team.

THANKS TO: j99Ubers and trickroom for testing the team with me like 20 times each 9.9
Syrim too :D

This is a decent team but why don't you use some Ubers?

Consider Grass Arceus over Gastrodon to handle more threats while covering Kyogre at the same time.

If Sand isn't out Palkia can take out almost every member. Tyranitar won't be enjoying surfs.

Also use 252 / 252 / 6 for the spreads. 255 gives the same points as 252.

I would reccommend that you work Stealth Rock somewhere onto your team to help against Ho-Oh and Multiscale Lugia. You could also consider running Rapid Spin on Doryuuzu over X-Scissor since it will help greatly against stall (Doryuuzu rips through virtually all spinblockers apart from Gira-O). I'm not sure how much else I can add, since this team is pretty good in Ubers even just using OU pokemon, and shows Sandstorm isnt completely outclassed by Sun and Rain in this tier.

With gastrodon, it might be an idea to change the ability to sticky hold. Then you have a counter to TrickScarf users as well.

The whole idea behind him using Gastrodon is that it absorbs Kyogres water attacks, changing the ability means that he doesnt get that anymore and has no way to counter Kyogre.

Seconding TrickRoom's suggestion to use Grass Arceus over Gastrodon, with this set:

Arceus@Meadow Plate
Timid; 252 HP / 108 Def / 36 SpD / 112 Spe

Recover
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Stealth Rock

Your team has several issues, namely Kyogre (Gastrodon does nothing to SubCM Ice Beam versions and can't deal with Specs Ice Beam), Palkia and other dragons, and Rayquaza. Defensively, Ho-oh and Lugia can cause issues. This Arceus will patch up several of those.

Grass Knot deals with Groudon and Kyogre equally well, and Arceus can take any hit either of the two dish out. It also avoids being OHKOd by 438 Specs Draco Meteor almost all the time, allowing it to Recover stall the attack out. The defense EVs let it survive Rayquaza's +1 Jolly LO Outrage as well and strike back with Ice Beam. This is important as Rayquaza's Air Lock entirely negates Dory's sweep. Finally, Stealth Rock helps hamper Ho-Oh and Lugia, who give Doryuuzu and Landlos some issues.

With Grass Arceus covering the weather Ubers, you really have no need for Shandera, especially as it gives you a third scarfer (which is waaaaay too many, IMO). I suggest you replace it for a strong mixed attacker or wallbreaker depending on your needs. Dialga or Giratina-O work well here, the former having ample opportunities to switch in with its typing and bulk and the latter having access to a priority Shadow Sneak.

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
The first thing I would suggest is running a bulkier T-tar. You already have a great scarfer against Psychics in Geno, and the momentum it generates for your team is probably more important then the guaranteed kill. This allows Tar to come in a little more often against strong special attacks. The set i'm recommending is this.
Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band/Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

For you I would recommend leftovers. This is a powerful physical attacker who can force switches, allowing you to pave the way for your main physical sweepers. Obviously it has problems with groudon, but at least it lures it in to get a little damage on it since your team obviously needs it gone. Since Groudon is going to be switching into your Tar so much, one option is to go mixed. Ice beam or Fire blast will both do good damage and will at least dissuade it from switching in in the future. Pivoting to Shandy is prob still your best option though, and splitting evs could hurt. If you do decide to run leftys you could probably fit sr in the set somewhere.

I agree with the Grass arceus suggestions, but scarf ogre is still a problem as you know from playing me! Specs palkia can't really be fixed either except by completely changing your team structure.

All in all good sandteam in Ubers. Good Luck!

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, first thing change your spreads to 4/252/252 (or 6/252/252, it doesn't matter), if you want to use gastrodon use a careful nature with 252 hp, 252 sp.d, 4 def, allowing it to survive 2 non-specs draco meteors from dialga and palkia and recover off damage. On doryuuzu use balloon instead of LO so you aren't checked by Groudon's EQ. Also you definitely want at least SR on there, and probably a bulky steel - honestly speaking you should perhaps lead with a bulky ubers tyranitar @ lum with the Brave 252 hp 88 atk 88 sp.def 88 sp.a to check a wide variety of ubers lead with
Payback / Stealth rock / Superpower / Flamethrower, it was featured in the recent ubers smog rmt and your team would greatly benefit from SR anyway.
Also your team is completely OU atm, don't expect to compete that well in ubers.

@j99ubers, storm drain only absorbs water attacks in mystery dungeons. In competitive play, Storm Drain only attracts water moves, in doubles. So yes, Sticky Hold > Storm Drain to prevent you from being crippled by TrickScarf.
And also if Giratina is a problem for Doryuzu, replace X-Scissor with Shadow Claw. After a Swords Dance, it is guaranteed to OHKO Giratina-O, and at least 2HKO Giratina-A. And X-Scissor isn't the best filler move anyway, considering Doryuzu OHKOs Darkrai and Mewtwo after Swords Dance using Earthquake anyway (bar the exceptionally bulky Mewtwos)

Obviously you've played no 5th gen at all, Storm Drain now absorbs all water attacks, if it didn't do you think there would be any reason that he would have used it in this team and called it a "Kyogre counter".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)