Team Fortress 2 - Join us at #lol

Download TF2 (Requires Steam)
Official Blog
---
Official Wiki
TF2 Backpack Viewer
TF2 Trading Post
IRC: #tf2 on SynIRC

Those of you who know me know that I am a teensy bit obsessed with this game. Due to a forum being created and the old topic not being moved over, I figured it was a good time to create a new one.

So, discuss this wonderful use of $20 (or more if you're dumb enough to buy something from the Mann Co. Store) here. Also, getting some trades set up in this topic might be a good idea since TF2TP isn't always the best place to go.

This game.

This is the reason why I haven't visited the forums in a week, done any of my analyses, or even began contributing to CAPASB.

ARGH

Also, screw the current drop rate system. They should make it reset daily, not weekly.

I really like this game, but two things stop me from playing it a lot.

-My current computer doesn't have the graphics card to play it at anything other than minimum settings and even then, it's kind of skippy (due to graphical limitations, not connection)
-I'm bad at the game so I just run in with soldier/pyro and ignore any flanking routes. I'm just a typical scrub/noob for everyone to prey on.
-I'm pretty terrible at keyboard and mouse as well.

I'm thinking I'll build my own comp for college when that comes along soon enough, but until then, I don't think I'll be playing too much TF2, unfortunately.

add la_morgue on steam and i'll throw in a beating absolutely free

i play competitive medic and soldier but i've taken a break due to the lack of activity in the australian league due to the summer holidays, also because i'm addicted to league of legends

looking for loch n load and crossbow, will trade reclaimed for either. will trade scrap for bear claws.

I really like this game, but two things stop me from playing it a lot.

-My current computer doesn't have the graphics card to play it at anything other than minimum settings and even then, it's kind of skippy (due to graphical limitations, not connection)
-I'm bad at the game so I just run in with soldier/pyro and ignore any flanking routes. I'm just a typical scrub/noob for everyone to prey on.
-I'm pretty terrible at keyboard and mouse as well.

I'm thinking I'll build my own comp for college when that comes along soon enough, but until then, I don't think I'll be playing too much TF2, unfortunately.
Try running it in Direct X 8, it'll look even worse but you should get a performance boost.

I'm pretty bad at this game, as I don't play it regularly enough. Feel free to add me on steam if you want (see my signature).

Also, I'm trading my Buckaroo's hat for 2 refined.

lol @ thorns wanting terrible weapons

I'm looking for a Flipped Trillby. Right now I have pretty much junk but I'll see what drops this week.

i have this. quite good at it even with the bugs and broken hitboxes, that make the game have more hax then a team of 6 iron head scarf jirachis :P
and didnt the "pros" lose the the pubs recently :P i dont care for pros, it is all about slapping on masses of scripts, it isnt skill, skill is doing things without said scripts
i hang a round on gravediggers, i'm the demoman lopping your head off or the pyro smacking you with a hammer after i put you in the air :P

I have a spare pan+cap if anyone wants to make offers
o and loch-n-load is rubbish
http://www.tf2items.com/id/phalanx1337
backpack

and didnt the "pros" lose the the pubs recently :P i dont care for pros, it is all about slapping on masses of scripts, it isnt skill, skill is doing things without said scripts
The only scripting that goes on is those textbinds that make pub players mad.

Also, for a different topic, what do you lot think of the following weapons (in terms of overpowered/underpowered/balanced/entertaining/bullshit):

- Natascha
- The Sandman
- The Wrangler
- Crit-a-Cola
- Mad Milk
- The Battalion's Backup
- The Fists of Steel

I tried to get into the Pubs vs. Pros event recently, but I had an event going on on the same date at the same time. :/ The Spies on the Pub team were probably better than me anyways. In regards to your weapon list Woodsy:

- I was okay with Natascha before, I just didn't like how a Heavy could slow me to a crawl all the way across the map. I think the nerfs given to it may have been a little gratuitous - they should have just made the slowdown scale over distance. I still use it when really good Scouts are pissing me off.

- I really don't think -15 HP is that debilitating, though people seem to interpret that as "oh no the slightest thing will kill me now." You still have a fair amount of health, and the number of times I've stunned a Heavy that would have otherwise rolled a bunch of defenseless teammates or myself have been well worth the HP loss. It's a damn sight better than no double jump.

- I don't really grasp the whining for this one. Any time I wrangle a Sentry my intended target always seems to get to cover before I can kill them. Though I suppose what really annoys people is the shield, but I've never had a problem with it. As a Spy, the Wrangler is actually a blessing, because most Engies Wranglin' stand stock still next to their Sentries, and then it's an easy stab + sap.

- I don't have one, so I can't really comment. I've heard Shortstop + CaC is pretty effective though, as it removes the heavy damage falloff of the Shortstop during the crit time. I hate the overvaluing of Vintage CaC on the trade market though.

- Eh, some people swear by the Milk, but I prefer the Pistol or even Bonk!.

- I try and use the Backup, but I always seem to die when I get the charge, especially when I'm just blowing the horn. Even then, the damage reduction doesn't seem that great for a mere 8 seconds worth. Looks nice though - perhaps reduce damage taken to 150 before it can be used?

- I've recently been hearing a lot of moaning about these, especially from the competitive scene. I don't like them personally, as when I bring out melee, I WANT to melee, not be hindered by a 100% melee weakness. Shame that a weapon so cool-looking has to be brought down by such a lame downside.

There's my thoughts - I have to ask any Soldiers though: Do you prefer the Black Box or the regular Launcher?

i never bought the game because my computer can't really run much that's been released in the past five years, but when I see videos or watch my friends play it it looks absolutely amazing. I've played a few rounds on my friend's computer and Scout and Sniper are easily my favorite classes. i noticed it's out for the 360 but i've been told by several people not to get it because it's horrible.

The only scripting that goes on is those textbinds that make pub players mad.

Also, for a different topic, what do you lot think of the following weapons (in terms of overpowered/underpowered/balanced/entertaining/bullshit):

- Natascha
FUK SLOW
- The Sandman
FUK STUN
- The Wrangler
ez kill
- Crit-a-Cola
FUK +FORWARD SCOUTS SUICIDING INTO MEDIC
- Mad Milk
FUK SCOUTS NOT DYING
- The Battalion's Backup
FUK 100% COUNTER TO KRITZKRIEG
- The Fists of Steel
lol heavy melee weapons
phalanx said:
i dont care for pros, it is all about slapping on masses of scripts, it isnt skill, skill is doing things without said scripts
'i don't care for pokemon pros, it is all about pokesaving your pokemon, it isnt skill, skill is spending hours breeding your pokemon without pokesav'
besides, the only script that competitive playersuse is probably the no movement cancelling script to allow easier strafing. remember how if you hit a and d at the same time, or w and s at the same time you stop moving? that script stops that from happening. i couldn't play scout without it

i have seen plenty of things other then those, fast exploding stickys for one.
Natasha - useless
sandman - buggy to say the least
wrangler - makes enginners think they are something they arn't
crit-a-cola - rubbish
mad milk - overpowered as hevay hitters heal so much health
battalions backup - handy
fists of steel - gimmick

the for-a-noob however

Wooo! The thread has been remade! Add me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/nomegustatok). I started playing TF2 a few weeks back (got it for 5$ @ Steam Sale <3). I play all of the classes, but I find that I play more as the Pyro, Spy, and Medic. :D

Natasha: lol. I don't think the trade off is worth it; I prefer using the default weapon or even the Brass Beast.
Sandman: I hate it so much when it's used in the right hands, but generally I see a lot of misses. :)
Wrangler: I haven't used it as an Engy, but as a Spy, I love it when the enemy uses it ; makes Stab-n-Sap that much easier for me.
Crit-a-Cola: ehh I haven't seen it much but I don't really like it because when I use it, I always seem to run into Heavy Medics and the Heavy seems to always land its shots on me. xD
Mad Milk: I enjoy using it; I almost always get healed to max when I use it. :D
Battalion's Backup: Ehh idk, I like the Buff Banner better. I'd rather kill the enemy faster than tank hits, but I can see it's uses.
Fists of Steel: I haven't seen much of it; really risky I guess. o:

Hell yeah battlemedics. Nothing more awesome than killing w+m1 pyros with needles. Sometimes I net a hoovy :O

I also enjoy invisiwatch spy and plain flamethrower pyro. :D

lol heavy melee weapons
I'm still not sure why you think this; think of these in the same way you think of the GRU. You'd never use them to actually melee someone, you'd use them to get from place to place easier (also, in the FoS' case, to escape from combat easier AND survive a fully-charged headshot, which are my main problems with them).

i have seen plenty of things other then those, fast exploding stickys for one.
That just means they're good at clicking the right mouse button.

I main Engy and Sniper as a random side note. Once I worked out how to rocket jump, the Soldier got about an hour's additional play ahead of the others as well because it's so cooool. :3

- Natascha

Balanced now. A little bit UP but the Heavy is so godmode right now that's a good thing.

- The Sandman

Meh. Stun is annoying. Not fantastic.

- The Wrangler

People have been screaming "OMG OP" all over SPUF, but it's not that bad from my play.

- Crit-a-Cola

horrible horrible horrible

- Mad Milk

Stupidly overpowered and counter-classing. I mean really, the Scout regenerating health.

- The Battalion's Backup

Haven't seen it. I suspect it's like Lucky Chant - looks useful, is in practice worthless.

- The Fists of Steel

Goddamn these are overpowered. Valve shouldn't touch hard counter relationships to this extent. It's broken even without that in mind. (says the Sniper, i.e. Spy Counter Extraordinaire ;)

-snip-
Goddamn these are overpowered. Valve shouldn't touch hard counter relationships to this extent. It's broken even without that in mind. (says the Sniper, i.e. Spy Counter Extraordinaire ;)
meet my knife, meet my gun

honestly i enjoy killing snipers and will go out of my way as a spy to kill one. Seeing a darwin danger shield sniper turn to razorback is nice :)

DawnBringer

The thrill of attempting to get what you will neve
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's my thoughts - I have to ask any Soldiers though: Do you prefer the Black Box or the regular Launcher?
The normal rocket launcher is definitely the better choice, 15 hp at the cost of a rocket in a clip is a pretty big drawback; especially when you're trying to chase down an enemy medic, trying to force an Uber pop. (I play pocket :x)

@ phalanx: Honestly, scripts are not an advantage in competitive play, unless it's something like a buy script (pretty useless if you remember the stuff back in CSS / 1.6), it really limits what you can do. Next thing you know you'll be telling us that soldiers use scripts to do their (trick) rocket jumps.

As for trading, this is my backpack; I spent 2 months (>_<) trading to get the 6 unusuals there (a set for a competitive team; 2 soldiers, 2 scouts, 1 medic, 1 demo). Before anybody asks, no I didn't spend a single dollar on keys of my own money. (and I didn't unbox any of them; 'cept for a stupid Green Confetti Madame Dixie >_<). WTF @ inflation of Max sets and vCaC for that long period of time (good thing it's died down...)

Eh, I played a comp season of medic and lost skill with all other classes. And Pub medic is no fun for me. Call me spoiled.
I'm cco on steam by the way, we should get some sort of Smogon TF2 party.

love this game
I play mainly scout and sniper, although I can play basically soldier, heavy, and pyro

EDIT: I will trade anything I have for the shortstop

I'm still not sure why you think this; think of these in the same way you think of the GRU. You'd never use them to actually melee someone, you'd use them to get from place to place easier (also, in the FoS' case, to escape from combat easier AND survive a fully-charged headshot, which are my main problems with them).

That just means they're good at clicking the right mouse button.
gru is still better for getting from place to place and even then it puts too much pressure on your medic to heal the heavy on rollout when he could be healing the demo or soldiers. and the heavy will still get there last. every heavy melee weapon is bad despite most being straight upgrades although i could say the same for the demoman and scout too (bar the sandman which is just overpowered lol). competitive heavy is just impossible except for defending last i'm afraid. and that's the only situation in which i'd consider the fists of steel, to sit on the point and take rockets to the face while the rest of the team spawns

also i don't see why you guys say the crit-a-cola is bad. i mean 141 damage meatshots means you can ding a medic from afar with any class, then a scout will cac your ass. it's not like the scattergun without cac, which only does like 109 (?) damage max. 41 health is a lot bigger than 9
the issue of battalion's backup seems fairly tame until you realise it's a 100% counter to kritzkrieg. battalion's backup effectively removes the viability of a competitive strategy, much like how stealth rock neutered 4x stealth rock weak mons. if you've ever seen a good roaming soldier use battalion's backup, you've seen how it can be incredibly good just with the 35% boost.

i believe a competitive tf2 team comprised of smogon players was attempted before but to not very large success

i prefer the black box, stuff is usualy dead in 3 rockets anyway. and why is crit a cola bad? crit a cola scouts also take minicrits so can do little with it.
the buff banner is overpowered thanks to nukesplash and knockback :P

sure they take minicrits but when a scout wants to kill your medic you don't hit him until it's too late -.- i've been there

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This game used to be fun back in the day. Used to play competitively as well. But what with school becoming more intense as I go into my major and Valve selling out and creating new items without restraint I just can't bring myself to replay this game. I remember it being so fun though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)