Kyurem's fury-an offensive OU team

Overview
With the dawn of Generation V, an even more fast-paced offensive metagame has begun; new threats such as Kyurem have come upon. This team shows on option some would reffer to as gimmick-Frozen World lead.

The team
(Frozen) @ Lum Berry

Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Frozen World
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
Here it is, the most powerful of all Ice-type Pokemon! With Frozen World, Kyurem can slow down common leads while breaking their Sashes, only to fall for Ice Beam or Draco Meteor. The beauty of Kyurem, is that it can sevre just as well in mid and late-game as a potential special threat.

Focus blast may seem shacky, but is necessary to obtain perfect coverge on the entre metagame but the rare Shedinja.

(Passion) (F) @ Shuca Berry

Trait: Flash Fire
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
The most popular Fire-type comes for yet another apperance. Heatran not only sets up Stealth Rocks, but also serves as a powerful attacker and a brilliant user of Will-o-Wisp, beeing able to lure Gyarados in very easily. With Dragon Pulse, Heatran obtaions neutral coverage on any Pokemon but an opposing Heatran.

(Gabriel) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Levitate
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psycho Shock
- Recover
A reliable and strong special threat. With Draco Meteor, anything lacking bulk or Steel-typng is OHKOed. Thunderbolt gives good coverage with Dragon, while Psycho Shock hammers Fighters and special walls. Recover does not only takes advantage of Latios's sturdy defenses and defensive typing, but also removes and LO recoil, leaving it alive to fire yet another Draco Meteor.

(Candice) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Natural Cure
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
Every teams needs a revege-killer of sort, and Starmie, with it's excellent speed stat, can easily outrun +1Spe Gyarados and Salamence fo the OHKO. Starmie also serves as an effective late-game sweeper with it's amazing coverage. I would honestly use another Water-type, if I had any place left...

(Batman) (M) @ Toxic Orb

Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Fling
- Earthquake
- Acrobat
- Taunt
Reliable counter for Sandstorm teams and physical wall. Still in testing...

(ShadowLuke) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Steadfast
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave
My special stat-upper. Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball cover the entire metagame with only two moves, leaving room for Vacuum Wave, which not only aids sweeps, but also gets rid of pesky Excadrills and opposing Lucarios. Lucario also has some suprise value, as many players expect the a Swords Dance set, only to be KO by a boosted Aura Sphere.

I would go balloon on Heatran, It nullifies earthquake not just weakens it. And just an IMO, I Love the new two dragon metagame, haha.

Hello, interesting team you have. There are a couple of perturbing weaknesses that I think you might need to fix...
Firstly, sandstorm teams, the metagame's premier new offensive threat, will wreck this team. You have 3 Pokemon weak to ground, with only Latios to stop them- this means that Doryuuzu and Randorusu will eat you alive, potentially 6-0ing you with very little prior support or set up time. You're also deadly weak to fighting types- while it doesn't look like they will sweep you outright, things like Terakion, Birijion or Roobushin can place some big dents in your team with little stopping them from spamming their STABs mindlessly.

I think the simplest change would be to use a Gliscor. He solves most, if not all of your problems with these troublesome Pokemon. Try this:

@ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish (+Def, -SpAtk)
-Fling
-Earthquake
-Acrobat
-Taunt

Some people might spring for the standard sand veil Gliscor, and while Roost is attractive, I think this set better fulfills this team's needs. Toxic Orb makes you basically immune to status, which is important to make sure that you aren't burnt or Toxic'd, as this ruins Gliscor's chances of walling anything. Instead, this set performs like a wall / stall-breaker. You can Fling away your toxic orb to poison an enemy, and then use Acrobat as a powerful STAB against annoying fighting types. Taunt is great for Nattorei, Skarmory and opposing Gliscor, which is why you're running a little "speed creep". I would use this over Metagross- in BW, he just doesn't have the power to clean teams like he used to, and his typing certainly doesn't help his cause in a metagame of bulky ground and steel types.

Something incredibly minour- Is Kyurem actually the Pokemon in slot #1 for you? That is a famously bad idea. People will automatically assume it's your "lead of choice" and will prepare for it. I would actually make Heatran your lead, and then just switch to Kyurem in team preview- most of the things that your opponent thinks is a good idea to send out against a heatran, is a bad idea to send out again Kyurem. Try moving some members around and putting him in the 4th or 5th slot, so that nobody will suspect he is your dedicated lead.

Anyways, last thing, try HP Fire > Thunderbolt on Latios. Nattorei is the most common counter Latios, and it will often catch them off guard. it's also useful for the other steel types that think they can switch in, like Skarmory, Forretress or even a ballsy Doryuuzu.

That's all the advice I have, I hope this helps. Good luck!

So you say Frozen World is actually bad for leading?
Also, I dislike the Spe drop from HP Fire, is it really necessary?

So you say Frozen World is actually bad for leading?
Also, I dislike the Spe drop from HP Fire, is it really necessary?
1. No, it's excellent for leading. However, if you leave it as the first Pokemon in your party, people will predict around it. Simply leave it in a random slot and then MOVE it to the lead position so that they won't have prepared for it, they will have prepared their lead for Heatran- if that makes sense.
2. I suppose not, it's up to you whether or not opposing Latios are a problem.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, cool team you have here! First of all, I'd like to applaud the creativity you've put into this thread by deciding to base it around a seriously undermined offensive threat (and also, one my favorite Pokemon of the new generation), Frozen World Kyuremu. Anyhow; at this point your team looks pretty solid as after Smith's rate, you were more or less able to patch up you biggest weakness: opposing offensive sandstorm teams. Because of this, I'll stick more or less to minor move set changes which may better your teams structure. Firstly, I'm going second Smith's suggestion of mixing up the order of your team, as to lure your opponent into leading with a Pokemon which is handled easily by Kyuremu.

Also, I suggest you switch the roles of Latios and Starmie, by making Latios a Choice Scarf variant and Starmie a more defensive, Rapid Spin variant. Due to the fact that you often use Kyuremu mid-game, I think that Rapid Spin support would be invaluable as it Stealth Rock (and Spikes, for that matter) will greatly limit Kyuremu's ability to constantly switch in and present a threat to the opponent. This change won't mess up your team's structure (and synergy) as Choice Scarf Latios works in a surprisingly similar way as Choice Scarf Starmie, being able to revenge-kill many of the threats you would rely on Starmie to do. I hope this has helped, and good luck!

Suggestions in Short

• Mix-up the order of your team
  • Choice Scarf Latios over Life Orb Latios
  • Rapid Spin Starmie over Choice Scarf Starmie

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi Dark Froslass,

alright listen so you have a pretty solid team here and your offensive momentum seems on point. the only problematic pokemon i'd actually view here are fast hard hitting special attackers such as specs Latios, Nasty Plot Borutorusu, specs Latias, and even CM Ranculus. simple double switches after you sacrifice something can really be detrimental to you as you have no solid check outside of choice scarf starmie. A simple patch up - and a beneficial one at that is swapping Choice Scarf Starmie for Scarf Tar.. This will enable you to switch in on the aforementioned threats either: trapping then or catching Borutorusu off guard with a faster stone edge because to be honest, scarf tar is p. rare at the moment but it still serves such as a important role in your team.

take note that with Scarf - you'll be easy set up on from the likes of exadrill, lucario, and such. to maintain your offensive prowess and sweeping momentum, i'd like you to try just swapping your gliscor set to swords dance / earthquake / protect / facade with the exact same ev spread. what will it achieve? you'll accumulate swords dance boosts slowly easily destroying most stall teams lacking solid checks like skarm with the added benefit of checking fighting-types. balloon exadrill honestly does very little damage with boosted rock slide - enough to pop its balloon with facade and hurt with earthquake. this is a swap you must consider because it is an incredible set, very fitting for your offensive based team.

as for other options, maybe hp fire will be beneficial for you to be honest on latios. the speed drop is no longer relevant when you decide to swap scarf tyranitar over starmie. you'll be trapping the opposing latios and latias who will outpace you if they don't have hp fire. add the fact you'll be destroying nattorei with relative ease now preventing it from setting up all sorts of hazards in your team. also, balloon on heatran is much more beneficial than shuca haha. overall, gl!

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
No because Gliscor really appreciates the extra bulk in checking physical attackers and enabling it to set up more Swords Dances. Without the bulk, it can't do both effectively.

Should I run CBMamo or SDLuke to give me some physical power? And are you sure this team doesn't need Metagross? Maybe leadGross over Heatran?

Commenting on request...
(1) I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about...Are you asking if having most of your attackers on the special side is a bad idea? I have no idea where you got Mamoswine from as he doesn't seem to fit anywhere on the team, but I guess SD Lucario couldn't hurt. Extremespeed DID get boosted to +2 priority, and in the current metagame SD Lucario certainly is no slouch, especially if you run Ice Punch (most Gliscor don't outspeed these guys anymore). I wouldn't get hung up on the idea of "physical-special balance", because in all seriousness it matters very little, but I could see SD Lucario working out pretty well for you.

2. Yeah, I'm sure. I don't see anything that Metagross really helps you with. Simple Agility sets are really not sweeping anybody, considering how the metagame looks, and without recovery he isn't the tank he was last generation either. You seem attached to him, so if there's a particular niche he serves, let me know, but otherwise I fail to see his usefulness. Heatran is much better in his slot, especially when you consider annoyances like Nattorei or SD Scizor popping up everywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)