1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Дурак Mafia | Ordinary Comrades Win

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by billymills, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ace Emerald

Ace Emerald Professional
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Visual Media Head

Lynch Quagsires

Make this happen?
  2. Empoof

Empoof

Lynch Quagsires

[​IMG]
    ok.
  3. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

You all decide to lynch Quagsires. Quagsires was:

It appears he had learned how to inspect and hook users.

There was now an important message from Kent Brockman:
    Well that was enlightening.

Night 5 ends January 3rd at 5 AM EST.
  4. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

Delaying update because I am missing most of the nights actions, but mostly because I don't want to update in the middle of the morning. I'll give up to 20 more hours, or until I feel all the important actions are in.
  5. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

Sorry for the delayed update, but the village leader didn't tell me anything. More Cowbell died, it appears he had scaring around his cheeks. He died happy, but it was pretty sad no one tried to help him.
    I won't count any PMs that were sent after my delayed timeline even though I was late on the update, but this is not my fault it was the village leader.

Kent Brockman had something to say again:
    IM TELLING YOU IT WAS THE TOWN LEADER.

Fortunately, he finally steps up and informs everyone that they will be lynching today and that the deadline is 9 AM EST January 7th.
  6. More Cowbell

More Cowbell

Here I am showing beautiful movies to my fellow Comrades, and no one helps me out :'(

Go Ordinary Comrades!
  7. UncleSam

UncleSam

[11:48] -NickServ- askaninjask is matt
    [11:48] -NickServ- Time registered: May 13 19:14:25 2012 CDT
    [11:48] -NickServ- Last seen time: Feb 03 10:58:37 2013 CST
    [11:48] -NickServ- Last quit message: Quit: i'm no simpleton

GG
  8. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

I'm here and we're lynching HD.

Lynch HD
  9. Paperblade

Paperblade

10. Ace Emerald

Ace Emerald Professional
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Visual Media Head

Lynch HD seems like all the cool kids are
  11. Empoof

Empoof

Lynch HD bby
  12. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

HD was lynched.
    Special thanks to Outlaw, Jumpluff and Mekkah for helping out.

Get night actions in asap please. No specific deadline, but I will push you.

If anyone out of the game wants to be added to the sheet, PM me.
  13. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

Well, that explains a lot.
  14. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

The lynch he deserved, not the one that he needed
  15. UncleSam

UncleSam

Do you need more time to write your fake HD
  16. HD

HD

no i think i got it
  17. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

Game Over

Empoof tries to kill everyone, but God smites him to save face:

It seems that Empoof was unable to remember what he forgot. Perhaps more depressing is that the Establishment made almost no attempt to contact Kent Brockman at all.

It also appears that Batman ignored Kent Brockman altogether. In face of this disrespect, Fatecrashers decided to retreat home. He still lives, but it is a pitiful existence.

Given a safe role name and power to claim, it appears he still prefered to claim 'Anti-DC neutral' over a simple villager. Odd strategy, but I guess he survived until now.

With that, the Ordinary Comrades win Дурак Mafia.

Poor askaninjask, the village needed a role that was marginally positive. This was it and he got stuck with it.

The Establishment equivalent of Lightwolf. I figured that it would be a bad idea to give a mafia (united under Fatecrashers) the ability to stop two lynches at any time, so I put an extra condition on this lynchstop. If Da Letter El posted at any time, or if he was inspected by the establishment, or if anyone said the name 'Clarence Thomas' in the presence of the Establishment, then the establishment would have been aware of the lynch stop. Impressively, he stayed quiet the whole time.

In retrospect, I would have swapped around the conditions between the two lynch stops. The conditionless redirect should have been given to the back-up inspector, given it was a more important role. The conditional lynch stop should have been given to the re-director, but it seems it worked out fine anyway.

The game was mostly based around the IRS - tax dodger mechanic and the 'hidden mafia' mechanic. I had hoped the IRS would have taken a far more active role, contacting the village and the mafia sides. I don't think I made it clear enough in the role PM that if they didn't find both dodgers fast enough that they would lose. The dodgers were huge assets to both the mafia and village when they were each behind. If the mafia took the lead at any point, they would probably be willing to off both a redirector and a back-up inspector. Likewise if the village was ahead, they would be willing to destroy a lynch redirect at the cost of a redirector (or potentially a back up inspector).

I needed to make the whole game believe there was a mafia team in the game when it really wasn't, so big names who mysteriously weren't in the game was an obvious choice. I don't think anyone figured out the gimmick until HD died, which was cool. I gave HD 2-night immunity because I wanted to be sure that the second DC villain died before he was found out.

I ended up making the combined mafia extremely powerful at 4/3 kills/night, but they didn't collaborate nor contact Kent Brockman until very late. Kent Brockman was intended to be both the public face and leader of the mafia, as if Brockman could organise between the two they wouldn't bother going to each other directly (or they may have assumed that Kent Brockman was part of the other mafia). The Establishment should have been able to put up a better fight if they used their mole role (Richard Feynman) and just used their real role names as claims, but for some reason they decided to come up with a host of names I had never heard of before.

I tried to give HD the Epona false claim as a role guaranteer. Something that would make sure an action would succeed, regardless of hookers and safeguards, but this somehow got misconstrued into an action that blocked both hookers and safeguards. An interesting mix.

The mafia got very lucky with a couple of early inspects, finding shade, paperblade, and HD relatively quickly, but HD had both of his first two kills blocked by Walrein.

The village played great. Most of the village leaders played their parts perfectly. Lightwolf got a lot of flack for lynching himself, but I think it was the right move at the time. I'm impressed DLE was able to go a whole game without posting. Paperblade gave me some fun updates to write (sorry Eagle4 and Ace Emerald!). Looking at how close the game ended up being despite how well each side played makes me think the mafia were definitely built too strong, but it worked out all the same.

If anyone wants to ask questions about the game, post them here or PM me on IRC. I'll open up the sheet but prepare to be disappointed.
  18. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeah I know I'm on... but I don't care! I don't read the news until I get my danish. Go ahead, try to find a replacement.
  19. UncleSam

UncleSam

Still undefeated as village leader

Remind me never to trust LightWolf as my replacement again though

Was kinda disappointed with the activity in the village after my death but it all worked out. I guess finding all the mafia by Night 1 helped a bit...

My sheet

Of course the updating on it was a little...lacking after my death.
  20. Eagle4

Eagle4

Well that was highly successful.
  21. Paperblade

Paperblade

Where's my review of the Great Gatsby
  22. Da Letter El

Da Letter El Officially internet famous
    is a Forum Moderator

IT WAS SO HARD OH MY GOD
  23. Walrein

Walrein

I tried my hardest to throw on the first day by trying to lead the village as a reverse martyr while thinking i was a martyr but whatever

edit: suck it hd
  24. Crux

Crux Resident Privilege Checker
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

FUCK YOU
  25. Empoof

Empoof

I'm the greatest

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)