ORAS LC ★GOAO: are you ★GOAO: double scarf

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
nope, worse

it's a damn six scarf team

Okey dokey this looks like a joke I'm sure, but get this: choice scarf is easily the coolest item on LC VoltTurn teams. I love choice scarf just about as much as I like Vileman, which is saying something. Also, my third period class, US Government, is a huge bore, so I created a team that is actually fun to ladder with that I can use without too much actual thought. Enter VoltTurn, the LC archetype for the braindead battler (basically, me on most days). I took voltturn and made it super fast, creating a surprisingly solid team in the process. This is the team that is most fun to ladder with and it's also really good for 3rd Period US Government classes where you have an A just by being there. Here's what I did with my team!

Ladder teams are very, very unprepared for Scarf Drilbur; in about 80% of ladder battles, it's a win at team preview. A strong, fast Ground-type attacker is very much underprepared for when the fastest one most people take into account is Diglett, so here's where I started the team.

If a ladder team is prepared for Drilbur, it usually comes in the form of Foongus, Snivy, or Fletchling. In general, Larvesta and Chinchou have excellent synergy with Drilbur, as not only can they take out Grass-, Flying-, and Bug-types to pave the way for Scarf EQ sweeps, but Chinchou happens to lure in those very Grass-type Pokemon almost without fail, paving the way to an easy Volt Switch to Larvesta. Drilbur also carries Rapid Spin to help out Larv in a pinch.

Unfortunately, some teams come a little bit better prepared for Drilbur than most. Vullaby and Archen are a little more difficult to handle due either to their immense bulk or incredible attacking power. The team also desperately needed a Knock Off user to soften up bulky Pokemon such as Porygon and Mienfoo and Timburr. Pawniard therefore makes an excellent fit on the team, and it can also provide some ez lucks with Iron Head or keep naughty Larvestas off the foe's field via a well-timed Stealth Rock.

There is nothing a choice scarf Pokemon hates more than being Knocked Off, so what did I do? I designed a choice scarf Pokemon that eats Knocks Off for breakfast. 17 Speed choice scarf Mienfoo is a good Pawniard check and, with the addition of Acrobatics, provides a Fighting-type killer this team desperately needed. Scarf HJK is also incredible, but if I ever have to lose another game to a HJK miss when I only need to hit like 3 to win (which should happen if the accuracy was really 90%) I may actually cry a little.

Hyper Offense teams generally enjoy having safety nets and my tendency to throw away my wincons at any opportunity almost mandates me having one. Sturdy Scarf Magnemite provides another birdkiller and fits well on a team that can usually prevent SR from going up or staying up with its intense offensive presence. It adds another switcher as well, which is never ever a bad thing in LC. At this point, the team is ready to ladder!

coco <3 (Drilbur) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin

Legitimately nobody prepares for Scarf Dril nowadays. Taking advantage of that is one of this team's keys to success, so the top move is Earthquake. Rock Slide and Poison Jab comprise situational coverage that you'll only ever really use against like a Wingull or a Cottonee. In essence, they're there only for safety of mind, as you might need them one day. Rapid Spin frees up the team from harmful hazards that commonly plague offensive voltturn teams, especially those that carry Larvestas. I run an Adamant 16 Speed Scarf set specifically in order to have the best chances of 2HKOing Staryu on the switchin, as well as to maximize damage output in general. Drilbur is very good!

spicyvilememes (Larvesta) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Morning Sun

I will forever maintain that Larvesta is best as a Choice Scarf user. A fast, powerful STAB U-turn is a ridiculously good asset in the frail world of Little Cup. Leading with Larv is also probably one of the coolest things as well, as you almost automatically get momentum off of that momentous U-turn power. Flare Blitz and U-turn are obvious choices, as they provide the power and momentum that make Larvesta a potent attacker. Bug Buzz seems very odd, I'm sure, but it has use in exactly two scenarios that are otherwise incredibly troubling to the team. The first is when a Snivy comes in on Chinchou; if it decides to use Substitute, Larvesta may be too low on health to take Flare Blitz recoil and a Leaf Storm or unboosted Hidden Power. In this case, Bug Buzz gives me an option to take it out in one or two hits without having to switch out or worry about recoil. The other scenario occurs when I miss a HJK or Hydro Pump and an Abra sets up a Substitute on me. Larvesta is often one of my best switchins to Abra regardless, so Bug Buzz helps alleviate that unfortunate situation. Morning Sun comes into play if Larv ever gets Knocked Off or needs the health for later provided I have fodder, but is otherwise more rare than even Bug Buzz.

shrug's in-n-out (Chinchou) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 228 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

Nick says it all on this one, folks: Chinchou's job is to do a lot of Volt Switching. You may be questioning my lack of coverage moves on this Chou set, but in my experience, shit like Ice Beam and DGleam never end up being as useful as Scald or Volt Switch. Considering I have so many Pokemon that can take advantage of Grass-types anyways, losing momentum to a hard switch out is usually okay if it has to happen. Outside of that, Chou's moves are what I consider the essentials: Volt Switch and Scald let Chou do defensive Chou things like gain momentum and burn shit, while Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt give Chou powerful options when it needs to stay in and slay stuff. The in-n-out game is more Chou's deal, though. Water Absorb is odd, but it's actually essential, as the team lacks any way of dealing with water spam without it. It's also really fun to switch Larvesta into Corphish's Knock Off and then double to Chou to eat a Crabhammer. Word to the wise (and the cteamers): if you ever see me using a Chinchou, it is almost without a doubt going to be this exact set right here, so take that as you may.

goao lucked me (Pawniard) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Stealth Rock

Knock Off is the best move in LC, especially when things like Mienfoo and Porygon are the only things standing in the way of your Drilbur sweep. Pawniard provides all the essentials: it's a bird check, a Stealth Rocker, and a Pawn check all rolled up into one! Scarf Pawn also has the advantage of getting a free KO or Sash break on any Psychic-using Abras or Gastlys in general. The moves on a Pawniard are usually pretty easy to get and I trust you'll understand what they do after Pawniard's role description I've just given you :D also if I had a nickel for every Mienfoo I've Iron Head flinched to death I'd be a rich, rich man.

melonfoo (Mienfoo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics
- U-turn

This Mienfoo is essential for getting Knocked Up and missing HJK's: it is therefore appropriately called melonfoo. Mienfoo allows me to take Knock Offs that otherwise threaten to derail the central point of any other member of my team, making it a crucial player. Mienfoo is also a great check to Fighting-types due to its penchant for being Knocked Off and having Acrobatics. Scarf HJK is also actually the strongest move on the whole team, making Mienfoo a great candidate to be a wincon in any given match. Foo also benefits from the presence of three bird checks on this team and from sharing bulky checks with Drilbur. Mienfoo does a good job of keeping up momentum, taking Knocks, and smashing holes in opponent's teams.

magnetic mambo (Magnemite) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnemite is the best of the best backups: Sturdy can help it clutch out situations you've successfully and masterfully mindgamed your opponent into thinking they would win, it's yet another bird check, a Snivy check, it does it all! The first three moves are standard Magnemite moves you shouldn't need to know about, but HP Fire is a lil off to some. To put it bluntly, I hate all Ferroseed with a fiery, burning passion (get it). It's also great to have a way to hit both Grass-types and Steel-types for super effective damage in just one moveslot, especially when the opponent has a Diglett to throw around. Just focus on keeping Rocks down if you forsee the need to use Sturdy.

okay so it's six scarves but lemme tell ya
playing with this team has actually, legitimately helped me become a better battler. It's not far off to say I've played maybe 150 - 200 ladder games with this team, so here's some cool things playing with the team has taught me and could help you with if you're crazy enough to ladder a bunch with six scarf squad:

any mon can be a win con
The coolest thing about this team is that every single member has the potential to be a win condition. Being faster than every other mon on your opponents teams means you can approach team preview with a "okay I need to get rid of this and weaken this and this" mentality. While that's what should happen at team preview regardless of what team you use, doing this with six scarf team gives you six options for establishing win conditions. A very, very common one I encounter on the ladder is "okay I need to get rid of Vullaby and Abra's sash and Knock Off Mienfoo then sack something to get Drilbur in and I win." This team promotes that kind of gameplay, especially in the midgame, where, since every member can be a win condition, you can switch from trying to get rid of Drifloon for Mienfoo to trying to get rid of Chinchou for Magnemite. It's versatile and promotes adaptation and strategizing towards the endgame, something that has greatly benefited my play.

sometimes a mon has to die
Hyper offense so often relies on sacking Pokemon to bring in huge threats because its members may not be able to take a hit. One of the coolest things about this team is that your mons only ever have to take one hit when coming in against things they threaten because they outspeed your foes, so you don't have to sack stuff nearly as often. This lets you pick up a lot of KOs you wouldn't normally get. However, once the time is right and your wincon is prepared, this team makes it very easy to sack a pokemon in order to further the goal of the team; since everything is really frail from scarves and entry hazard removal can be iffy at times, you should never have a problem letting a mon go.

play in terms of risk until you can play to the rewards
In the early game, your goal is usually to play as safe as possible: you'll almost always u-turn with lead Larvesta, you'll almost always switch between Larv, Chou, and Pawn. Using only Choice Scarves removes your ability to switch between coverage moves, thereby requiring you to pick your attacks based on the risk in the early game. For example, I make it a point whenever the opponent has a Diglett to use Scald the first three times my Chinchou gets onto the field, or until that Diglett is gone. This is risk management; in the early game, you can usually afford to lose momentum to whatever non-Diglett thing usually switches into Chou the first couple times. Either that, or you have a dead Diglett and can VSwitch to your heart's content! Once the match opens up and you have a more clear path to your win condition, however, it's time to manage reward instead of risk. In the early game, the question of High Jump Kick or U-turn from Foo when your opponent has a Ghost-type mon is gonna come down to "I need Mienfoo alive later, so I'll use U-turn", whereas in the lategame, you're now thinking "I need to hit Ferroseed with a High Jump Kick, so I'll use High Jump Kick" even though they may still have a Ghost-type. This switch between risk-oriented and reward-oriented play is easier to get a hold of with this team because it has both low-risk low-reward and high-risk high-reward options on every Pokemon due to the nature of Choice Scarf and its penchant for requiring forward thought.

a short, somewhat helpful guide
Since this is a ladder team, and I have a ton of ladder experience with the team, here's how you beat a few of the sample teams I see most often on the ladder with six scarf team:

Bulky Offense by Corporal Levi:

Focus on keeping hazards off the field and removing Archen by keeping up pressure with your Volt Switchers and Pawniard. After that, spread some Knock Off with Pawniard and Mienfoo, and then nothing can really handle repeated U-turns and Flare Blitzes from Larvesta. Drilbur can usually clean this team, especially if Larv has been pressuring Foongus.

Standard Balance by rhydonphilip:

Pressure Fletchling with any of your three Fletch checks. Use Pawniard as your first or second switch into Fletch, as it will bring in Foo, which will then be Knocked Off and 2HKOd by Drilbur on the switch later. Once Fletchling is gone and Mienfoo is Knocked Off, nothing can switch into Drilbur, so just keep bringing it in via sacks to Mienfoo until you can sweep.

Shellder Offense by trash:

Mienfoo is gonna be your key to success in this match, so bring it in early and often. The first time Spritzee switches into Foo, which will be the first time your Foo comes in, hit it with Knock Off. You can then directly switch into one of Larvesta or Pawniard to begin pressuring it. Once Spritzee is gone, nothing switches into Mienfoo's High Jump Kick, so just pray for no misses. Saving Magnemite and preserving its Sturdy is also key here, as Shellder may end up in against Drilbur or Larvesta. In that case, keep EQing with Dril or U-turn with Larv; either way, go to Magnemite. Hopefully at that point either Diglett is dead or your opponent is someone who is averse to switching out their +2 +2 +2 Shellder (you'll know cause they stole a sample team), either way you'll need to Volt Switch.

This team has been very nice to me and is incredibly fun to use. One time I even got up to #5 on the ladder but I didn't screenshot it (cause who cares that much) so you'll just have to trust me on that one. If you want to know more about using six scarf squad in various circumstances or battling in general feel free to contact me in the LC room (with my trusty %) or just in a message on Smogon. I hope you enjoy the team if you choose to steal it, and I hope if you do choose to steal it that you enjoy missing HJK.

Shoutouts to my love Coconut. my tutor Mambo, my mosque-fucking bf Shrug, and my beautiful memer Vileman. LFC is cool too (sun) Peace!
coco <3 (Drilbur) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin

spicyvilememes (Larvesta) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Morning Sun

shrug's in-n-out (Chinchou) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 228 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

goao lucked me (Pawniard) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Stealth Rock

melonfoo (Mienfoo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics
- U-turn

magnetic mambo (Magnemite) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey berk, I approve.

In general, I see that your team is awkwardly weak to something like memento into BU Timburr or Omanyte. I tentatively suggest Scarf Gastly because it helps in beating both of these, despite being mildly weaker than Magnemite and lacking Volt Switch. Scarf Gastly is useful for beating Tirtouga, Omanyte, Zigzagoon, Timburr, and the rare sun teams. Additionally, Gastly gives you options against Webs teams, which would be otherwise irksome. Sadly Gastly does sap momentum some, and does naturally produce a team which requires more thought to be used. You also lose an instant slaughter on Ferroseed with HP fire, but i don't think it is especially important with Chinchou and Mienfoo being present.

Gastly @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Thunderbolt

Additionally, Timid Chinchou is considered mildly more viable than modest as most of the rolls are the same.

Lastly, if you have had any difficulty with Carvanha the ev spread of 156 Atk / 116 Def / 236 Spe Jolly on Mienfoo may help alleviate Carvanha's ability to run through your team (Waterfall becomes a 6.3% OHKO after sr).

I don't think there is much else I can suggest as another option for your team, as Adamant Pawniard becomes a worse Pawn check and the additional damage with Iron Head or Knock Off seems inconsequential. Regardlessly, cute team. Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)