ORAS OU 0 Hazards Zard X Stall, PEAK #1 (a few times actually) @ 2028

Team Overview

Team record:
Proof of peak: http://imgur.com/eObvBij

ou: 177 wins, 76 losses

So while making this team I wanted to use my favorite Pokemon Charizard! My play-style since gen 4 was always using bulk so I decided to build a stall team with Zard on it. I have tried a lot of crazy movesets from spe.def Zard Y to having DD Zard X and even a sub Zard. However after testing this team for far to long I feel I got it down to the way I like it.

The goal of this team is to keep HAZARDS AWAY! My main win condition is to use status conditions and residual damage to take down key threats and out stall the opponent. This team can deal with most threats in OU while taking minimal damage. As long as hazards are not on the field this team can successfully wall the large majority of OU threats.

Lizardon (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite X

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 100 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Oh gen 6 I love you so much for making Charizard a great Pokemon! Zard X is my main bisharp and electric resist. Physical electric pkmn in theory can give me issues, but zard beats most electric types in the game. Now Zard has amazing bulk, and he can completely shut down bisharp with its typing.

The ev spread is to prevents 2HKO from bisharp and the speed allows my zard to outspeed Jolly Breloom and Jolly Bisharp. The HP investment maximized HP while keeping an ODD number of HP for Stealth Rock. The attack eves allow earthquake to 1HKO almost all heatran sets, and allow Flare Blitz to threaten M Sableye and Clefable. Also flare blitz from Zard can 1HKO a lot of tornadus T sets. Trust me the attack investment is actually very helpful! It is a player preference though and the attack evs can be distributed elsewhere.

FatTony (Blissey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

When most people see I use blissey over chansey they think I am mad or crazy. Now yes chansey has superior bulk, but this team has a massive volt switch weakness as I have no ground types. Blissey with its leftovers can take volt switches ALL day and I have pp stalled a lot of volt switchers out of volt switch by just tanking the hit and eating leftovers.

Leftovers heals around 50 hp a turn, which is a LOT. For long battles the leftovers far outclasses eviolite as in 100+ turn battles blissey can eat hundreds of hp worth of leftovers. Also since bliss is my best Tornadus t counter, and knock off is so common, blissey's superior stats make it far better after eating a knock off. For some teams chansey is better than blissey, but bliss has been the far better alternative for this team in particular.

MetalFace (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Special defense skarm was not something I knew was good until I began using it. Since skarm has such high base physical def it can still eat up physical hits like it was nothing. Skarm acts as an amazing chomp and lando t counter. Toxic allows me to win 1 v 1 vs almost all lando t and chomp sets, and catches a LOT of people off guard. The special def evs allow me to eat up non stab fire blast and lati@s draco meteors. The special def also turns skarm into a M Diancie/Clefable counter.

Iron head>brave bird to hit fairies always.

Avocado (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Ah Clefable the OU monster itself. Now I chose to run unaware clef for just a few Pokemon. Manaphy is so annoying for this team, but clefable counters it very well. Also other pokemon such as other clefable, serperior, and suicune this clefable set deals with.

The ev spread allows clef to take psyshocks and hell bell altaria returns with some success, while being able to tank some special attacks. I am still messing with the ev spread for clefable as there are so many options.

The reason I run cm with unaware is so clef can deal with manaphy easier, and this also gives me a win condition. Wish is mandatory with unaware as moonlight is just terrible. If unaware clef could get softboiled that would just be amazing!

Wayno (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Slowbro is simply a monster. This Pokemon counters basically every fighting type in OU with its good typing. With regenerator it is very hard to kill slowbro. The reason I max out def and not run the extra spe. def for keldeo is mostly just to help out vs diggersby and zard x. The move set is very standard, but wow this Pokemon puts in work! Also scald is the best move in the game. Team scald ftw

Scald>Knock Off

DuckDodger (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn/Taunt/Toxic/Knock Off/Whirlwind

Mandibuzz is the best Hoopa counter in the game which is why I use it. Mandi deals with hoopa, breloom, zard, sd gliscor, and many other threats. It is an underestimated pokemon that is hard to break! Mandi can be replaced with other pokemon, but for me Mandibuzz has given very good results.​

Currently testing U-Turn over taunt just for when I switch in to Hoopa I can gain momentum. Taunt might be the better option, but right now I am experimenting with u-turn. Honestly mandibuzz only needs its first three attacks. The ev spread is just to maximize defense for physical hoopa, zard x, and mega pinsir. I know the mixed defense set is really good, but I have been using this set.

Top Threats

-No team is perfect and here is what I struggle with using this team. None of these PKMN I just loose to automatically, but these Pokemon are examples of threats that can break my team's core.

Manaphy: THREAT #1!!! This Pokemon is a major pain. I rage to this Pokemon all the time, as it can destroy this team. Only rain dance sets are issues. The way to beat this beast is to use clefable and attempt to stall this broken mon out. If you ask me this Pokemon should be in the Ubers tier because it has no good counters, (outside of Palkia who is in ubers).

Gengar: Ah the destroyer of stall teams gengar is very annoying. With its typing and taunt/sub it is very aggrevating to deal with. Mandibuzz and blissey can check it but gengar is always a pain to deal with if it carries taunt or sub.

Tornadus T- Very annoying to kill. The method of beating this is to status it and save torn to deal with late game. Yes this thing is extremely annoying for this team.

M Gyra- If this monster has sub it is extremely hard to properly deal with. With its bulk and typing this pokemon can easily 6-0 me if I made a mistake.

M Gardevoir: Huge Threat if it carries taunt. Do not have many options for this. Zard, blissey, and skarm can check this threat, but it aint pretty

Random Sub Nasty Plot Togekiss: Don't ask it just 6-0s me if clef gets haxed to death.

Stall breaker Heatran: this thing can be a pain in the neck. Zard X is a decent check, and a well played slowbro/blissey can handle it. All non taunt variants are usually no problem. Heatran can set up hazards while my defog pkmn can not really beat it which can be annoying.

Magnezone- Not a direct threat but it makes it so I can not switch in my skarm until this monster goes down.

M Altaria- Very annoying to deal with. If it is bulky clef can answer is easily. However, if it is offensive I really need to status the monster. It is not the biggest threat to my team but it can potentially be an issue if played right.

Rotom W: It doesn't threaten much, but wow it is really annoying to kill. There have been many instances of me pp stalling rotom ws out of volt switches.

Replays: Here are a few games with this team where the match ups probably were not the best, but I pulled through. I will be sure to add more replays later on of this team in action!

(this first game I was using chansey)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-327760369

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-330857257

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333556669

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333952760

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333952760

Conclusion

Thank you for reading I hope you like the team. Every team has weak spots and I continue to make minor changes. This team has given me results even with it's weaknesses. This team has a very strong core that can be hard to break and because of the team's bulk it can survive for an extremely long time!

Using my favorite Pokemon with a team that suits my play style is why I love this team so much. Give it a try and feel free to message me on showdown at any time!

Attachments

Last edited:

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Grats for the peak Lizardons :]
Btw i guess you have to put srock on skarm/chansey, i tried this team and you have to do some pressure with your haxards imo..
Then on mandibuzz, taunt is so good. It can troll every statupper mon or some slow srocker.
That's all for me, and grats for the peak again ;)

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey Lizardons, I battled you many times and was surprised of that double defog team^^ As said empoleonlove, SR would be great, since it is important to get some residual damage. Plus defog on mandibuzz and skarm is a bit redundant: both work similarly. For example both counter landoT, both fear heatran.. So you can put knock off over defog (mandibuzz), while running taunt and foulplay (it's rare to be able to have a free slot on mandibuzz, so you should use it); you can also run taunt on skarm, or even spikes+torment+roost+protect, or whirlwind (pinsir), or whatever useful move you can imagine, instead of running double defog.
Great team :]

Hey Lizardons, I battled you many times and was surprised of that double defog team^^ As said empoleonlove, SR would be great, since it is important to get some residual damage. Plus defog on mandibuzz and skarm is a bit redundant: both work similarly. For example both counter landoT, both fear heatran.. So you can put knock off over defog (mandibuzz), while running taunt and foulplay (it's rare to be able to have a free slot on mandibuzz, so you should use it); you can also run taunt on skarm, or even spikes+torment+roost+protect, or whirlwind (pinsir), or whatever useful move you can imagine, instead of running double defog.
Great team :]
I run double defog for teams with magnezone on it mostly. Skarm acts as a far better defog user than mandibuzz so I do need defog on him. If hoopa u wasn't in Ou I wouldnt even have mandibuzz on my team lol.

Since mandi works so well against hoopa u, (which like 6-0s my team normally) that is why i run it lol

Hey there,
The concept of this team with double defog and no rocks yourself is really interesting, and boy am i surprised that you'd be willing to pp stall volt switches to win lol. I honestly think mandibuzz is pretty underrated as it can do a huge number to some teams. I really can't make too many comments since you know your own team much better than do so too many suggestions on my end may not really be so useful to you. I can offer some optimizations, however.

For the Zard-X Spread I noticed you found the extra bit of damage really useful, but I also noticed you missed out on a defense jump point and i figured you might find the extra bulk useful. The adjusted EV spread I calculated is EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 128 Def / 108 Spe, with the same impish nature, i just reduced a bit from attack to hit this jump point on defense for zard. I actually generally see SDef Zard-X when its tank wisp so the physdef idea is pretty cool.

Next, your skarm. I'm actually really glad to see toxic skarm here as I've used that myself before and can attest to how good it is. You don't have whirlwind for phazing but I don't think you can really fit it. One thing I noticed is that you are just going for a raw 252/252 spread, but if you run 228 hp evs instead you can regain sturdy after rocks + 2 leftovers turns. This could be crucial to land an extra toxic in dire circumstances. It is situational, however, and iirc on sdef skarms it isn't always preferable as the extra hp really helps take some hits a bit better. It is an option though, and you can put the extra evs wherever you want (speed isn't important really but it might help you outrun stuff like azu aiming to just outrun skarm i guess).

On slowbro you should run EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD since the loss of defense doesn't hurt, you reduce damage hazards, and the sdef helps you out with rolls from specs keldeo.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 28 SpD Slowbro: 156-183 (39.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

On Mandibuzz I would recommend considering some special bulk, as it can help you out with gengar and torn a lot since they seem like major nuisances to the team. I'm not sure on exact calcs really but its something i'd recommend, but idk how much you need the physdef in practice so i'm not sure what to recommend. Oh it would also help you with mixed/special hoopa, which i'd say is growing more popular and better these days I would say that in the last slot I like knock off/taunt a lot for opposing fat matchups, its always nice to be able to remove lefties or taunt something. Whirlwind also seems like a worthwhile option.

Finally since you commented on only wanting mandibuzz for hoopa, maybe you could consider a pursuit trapper such as krookodile instead? It offers you an elec immunity and intimidate which are fun tools to utilize as well as room for knock off and pursuit, and stealth rocks as well (it seems difficult to fit this on blissey or skarm in all honesty). It lacks solid recovery though and you probably need mandibuzz more than it seems like it from that comment so i'm really unsure if this suggestion would do more good than harm, but the idea of a somewhat fast pursuit user on stall is kinda cool. You could even go scarf krook to trap gengar/lati/zam, surprise hit torn/+1 gyarados/+1 alt, and still trap hoopa, or something of the sorts. Scarftar has seen usage on stall for similar purposes as well. This may lead to a situation where you might have to sack a mon to hoopa to remove it though, so be wary. I doubt you would implement this change but i'm throwing it out there as an idea just in case.

Regardless pretty interseting team and grats on your success with it. :D

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
yeah I've some experience with stall, and scarf Ttar is awesome. His ability to trapkill gengar and starmie, +RK hoopa (it can come on any of its moves bar drain punch) is great for a stall team. Why starmie? He can burn you and avoid status thx to natural cure (not a threat but very annoyning). Gengar must be trapped, so you can sweep with slowbro or clefable. As I said in my previous post mega pinsir can heavily hurt your team, so scarf Ttar is nice. Relying on megabro against birdspam isn't a good idea. And I think that a good player using hoopa may have something to beat mandibuzz (or lure it) like, idk, thunderbolt gengar, wow gengar, destiny bond gengar...
But I reckon that people aren't good enough on the ladder to successful use such strategies.

And I myself faced your team with hoopa offense and literraly got 6-0'd !!

So if you like mandibuzz so much you can keep it. But changing it isn't such an issue : you fear hoopa, but what a bout crawdaunt, wOw gardevoir? Try to forget a bit hoopa, many stall teams have no answer to it and manage to peak very high :] Maybe you'll lose a safe hoopa switch in, but for example adding scarTar will have much more benefits : if ever your walls get crit'd by a setup sweeper, you still can RK or trap.

A last thing: I played on Pokemon Online in BW2 before discovering PS! and the guy #1 of the ladder played stall with ScarfTar running Stealth Rock! It was awsome and we all get lured. I think this moveset would fit the team very well. For example you set up rocks, then a hoopa may come on your walls, you switch Ttar (hoopa doesn't predict it and use drain punch since he thinks he can outspeed Ttar) and you just crunch it:)

I hope I helped :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)