01-18-08

this movie is going to be the shit.

the one thing i heard that i dont like is the monster may have awaken from the scent of slusho. if that is true then .... meh.

and that monster pic is probably right cuz there are confirmed parasites from a leak.

i was really expecting/ hoping this would be robot alien things attacking earth but i guess i'll have to settle for godzilla/ sin/ whatever this thing is. it looks a lot like godzilla to me though even if they are saying it isn't.

if anyone has been surfing the viral sites for info on the origin of this monster: www.Slusho.jp , www.Tagruato.jp , www.TidoWave.com < these sites help you understand what caused the monster to be created, in a sense, you have to read between the lines of how all theses sites and organizations mesh together to create the end result, which is....skyscraper sized monster destroying NYC. This if by far how much info I gathered together from the sites.

1 the basics: Tagruato is a deep sea mining company - eep that's not good + it explains how this creature came from the ocean - and TidoWave is a protest organization against Tagruato for well....taking the petroluem from the Earth on a massive scale and Slusho's mother company is Tagruato which recieves the ingredient for their recipe "the nectar of the sea" from deep beneath the sea.

2 something happened: TidoWave had ammased for a protest/strike/w/e against one of the rigs, but...mysteriously it dissapeared O .O along with some of the teams for the protest the rig that "dissapeared" was the Chuai Station located at the mid-atlantic ridge only 1000 miles away from NYC. The Tagruato company blames TidoWave for acts of destroying the station.

"Our newest and brightest oil rigging development, Chuai Station, was attacked by a terrorist environment group called Tidowave. They released a series of explosions on the station, causing the loss of life and bringing the rig down into its knees. Tagruato has faced threats from this group for many years and has, with the help of our friends in the police forces, fought off many prior attacks. This blow, however, was too strong to miss us. The Chuai Station was damaged.

We are working tirelessly to contain environmental damage from the explosions and are already experimenting in the Atlantic for a new Chuai Station rebuilding location while our work is being continued at a temporary facility. We have also opened the Chuai Station Funds, which has currently raised over 300 million yen for the families of Chuai victims."
- From Tagruato

"Yes, we had the coordinates correct. There’s no possibility that we weren’t in the right spot. But there was simply nothing there. No debri, no clues, no anything. Just ocean. And calls to our comrades got nothing but static." - Part of a blog that a person from TidoWave.com posts.

3 My assumption: Now then about Slusho....what is "The Nectar of the Sea" .... is it something radioactive, or a mutagen, until treated for being edible in a slusho product. If so...when that Chuai Station went down.....something happened, they spilled something that must have contacted a creature within the trench I say it was the mutagen "The Nectar of the Sea". I mean...since when is oil/petro a mutagen? w/e it is that spilled or went down on that station it must have been the cause for the creation of the creature.

4 well.....w/e it's heading in a NYC direction now: People who were signed up onto Slusho's sign "accidentaly" recieved a sonar of something. I wonder what? .... Anyways....by now the end result will be the movie "Cloverfield"

Well, what I've tried here was to provide some viral *not the bad ones....duh* tie-ins to the backstory of the Cloverfield monster, if you were interested into what I said here, you can check out those sites, or you can look on the wiki page of Cloverfield for those links too. I also used http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/ which provides a better record history of what the viral sites have been doing/blogging. - Note if there was any part that sounded strange...well it was because it's 5 am...and why am I still up? @ .@ I'll probably edit any parts that I think need to later

I remember me and my friends overly pumped to see transformers. We couldn't stand the trailers that were in our way of the movie we wanted to see so bad. Then we saw this trailer. It was was epic. I fell in love with the movie at that instant. I can't wait to see this movie.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I remember me and my friends overly pumped to see transformers. We couldn't stand the trailers that were in our way of the movie we wanted to see so bad. Then we saw this trailer. It was was epic. I fell in love with the movie at that instant. I can't wait to see this movie.
Im fucking going to see this movie friday. Anyone else going?

I want to see pics of the monster! there should be some all over the internet tomorrow (well, tonight for your americans I guess)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Someone have a video of the ending? I thought my friend was seeing things, but apparently I was wrong and something did drop down in the background.

i liked it a lot!

it is a very, very difficult task to attempt to reinvent the monster movie, and this movie did a pretty fucking good job. i was terrified through some portions of it! it was really well-orchestrated.

oh but the monster looks nothing like those pictures ?_? it was interesting as it broke away from the 'humans are the real monsters' message of all the old monster movies and kinda did its own scary thing

cloud

groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
watched it, too.

i was about as hyped as any other internet geek out there about this, it caused quite a stir, but really, it didn't live up to it. the movie did what it did. there's no other way for me to say it was bland without saying that. it was a half hour of random stuff, and then an hour of the monster here and there.

i'm NOT an abrams fan in general, so maybe i didn't experience the full hype that lost fans did (hey maybe it is the smoke monster???), but the movie was just kinda there. i'm not going to say it was inconclusive, because it was conclusive in the sense that 'hey there'll probably be a sequel', but it left a lot to be desired, i think.

basically the monster was cool, we DO see a very, very intimate shot of it.. i dunno what else i can say without marking it as spoilers. really an average movie, but because of all the hype i feel slightly disappointed.

6/10 from me.

also people who stayed after the credits, check this out: http://boomp3.com/m/bd034dfca370

So I just got back from watching Cloverfield, and my take: eh. I'll try not to spoil the movie as much as possible, which means that this'll probably be brief.

I have to admit, the concept sounds great: a monster movie from the POV of the puny humans is such a good idea I'm surprised we haven't really seen it used. Unfortunately, it squanders any worth the idea might have had pretty quickly.

PROTIP: If you wish to have characters the audience sympathizes with, it's a good idea not to make them New York yuppies

The first twenty minutes of the movie is going to decide this for you: if you find the characters sympathetic and likable, this film may have merit. If you don't, you might as well leave because the rest of the movie is going to do a whole lot of nothing for you. The movie's true calling is essentially a survival horror film about witless yuppies running about Manhattan with everything going to shit around them. But even with the first quarter of the film dedicated to them and their relationships/problems/etc. I didn't feel any particular warmth towards the characters (and given the guy who yelled out "finally somebody died" to murmurs of agreement, neither did most others), and in a movie where 95% of the tension is dependant on you giving a shit the problem should immediately be obvious.

Hoping for a monster mash? Don't bother. If you're a misanthropic prick like myself who could care less about the triumph of the human spirit in the face of great adversity and are really interested in a 30-story monster breaking shit for an hour and a half you're not going to find it here, since the total screen time the monster gets would probably fit in a 2-minute cut. The most telling example of this is when the cameraman and his cohorts get stuck in the middle of a battle between the army and the monster: instead of focusing on the fireworks you get 2 minutes of watching the group shout at each other. In fact, the monster is pretty much a giant, building-munching MacGuffin, who could have probably been replaced with any generic large scale disaster without seriously affecting the plot.

Ultimately, Cloverfield suffers from an identity crisis: it wants to be a monster movie, but the monster is a bit player. It wants to be a human drama, but the characters are largely unsympathetic and forgettable. It's not necessarily a bad movie, but it doesn't come close to living up to the viral hype.

cloud

groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
when you say it suffers from an identity crisis, i'd say the sole reason for that is that it doesn't have ANY plot development. the whole love angle was there but this is a MONSTER movie and the monster isn't developed at all.

my two cents.

when you say it suffers from an identity crisis, i'd say the sole reason for that is that it doesn't have ANY plot development. the whole love angle was there but this is a MONSTER movie and the monster isn't developed at all.

my two cents.
I don't think that the monster necessarily has to be fully fleshed out to the point where we know the 5 W's: as some others on the Internet have noted there's an inherent fear factor associated with the unknown, especially if the unknown is a huge fucking monster playing Duplo blocks with New York. The problem is that it seems like it occurs in Cloverfield not as a deliberate maneuver but because the monster is basically a non-issue: without the head crab tarantula things the protagonists would have had almost no interaction with the monster at all.

And also because the plot justification is pretty weak ("my friend-with-benefits is impaled in a collapsing building in the middle of a monster attack: I'm going to save her while my vapid interchangeable friends tag along"). Admittedly you have to have people acting stupid in horror films to an extent but it was pretty bad regardless.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I sorta disagree on her being just "friends-with-benefits". From what the beginning showed, they'd been friends since childhood and he was really into her. And I also disagree about it not focusing enough on the monster. I think it didn't need to focus on the monster and that they went through it the right way by only showing glimpses of it.

I dunno if I liked it or not. I didn't hate it, but it didn't really feel like it was worth my $11.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
First off, the camera man is fucking awesome, he has terrible camera work but the quips he makes were awesome.

As a fan of Godzilla and other assorted monster movies I was pretty excited for this movie. It is from the point of view of a regular group of people, concerned, scared, frightened, etc. I could get into it mainly because I've seen so many movies that emphasize the monster but you don't see the suffering of the people it endangers. This delivers on that point extremely well, while there is little of the monster, what do you expect from a regular group of people, the run ins you have with the monster are going to be random and infrequent.

I didn't care much about the monster, but more on how the hell the people were going to get out of there. What kept me going was the chance to see the monster which remains a huge mystery throughout the movie and how the people would stay alive. While yes some parts were completely, how do you say, kind of phony and I don't think a normal human being could endure or attempt.

While the plot is kind of meh, if it even exists, I didn't really go into the movie expecting one. I came in expecting to see a monster attack on New York City from the perspective of a normal person, it it delivered and executed very well in that respect and I give it huge points for that. The movie dared to be different and I enjoyed it.

The ending leaves much to be desired, and I would have loved to see some bonus footage or something like a newscast, but whatever. The one part of the movie I really disliked was the end, but it sets up any sequels, prequels, or other movies taking place at the same time, theres no closure. But I really doubt there will be a continuation of the movie.

All in all I enjoyed it, not the best movie of all time, but definitely very good and I look forward to any DVD bonuses and/or prequels, sequels, etc.

8/10

I also think this would've been a very good video game premise but I guess they opted for the movie version!

oh my god, i think my stomach churned more than once trying to stay focused on the jittery camera =[

overall I'd say that the movie wasn't horrible, but it did not live up to its hype. and well, it would've also helped if the camera work weren't nearly so shoddy.

I felt really sad for the main romantic couple, as well as Hud, the camera-guy, but it's not like they could be fleshed out much further with just the videocam-eye-view.

much of the story was superfluous and there were really only, maybe, 4 or 5 real scare moments.

5/10, would've been 7/10 if it didn't make me so nauseous

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Same right here, i can't get the picture off my head, im gonna try not to spoil, but the part when the camera man was eaten alive.

My parents saw it last night and they said it was terrible. That's a couple of old people, though... though my dad is a huge horror movie lover. I'll rent it probably.

Well I saw it yesterday and I've gotta say I'm glad I got a discounted rate cuase it wasn't that great. I mean my friends and I were just sitting there the first 30 minutes waiting for the monster to appear and then we were disappointed that we never saw the moster enough. I thought it was just indecisive between monster film and a more crisis/drama type of movie. Though Hud was pretty funny. Edit: Everyone in the theatre was waiting for them to nuke it. It was hilarious, they threw drinks at the screen afterwards.

i seen the movie last night. i give it a 8/10

only things i disliked was it being a lil too short for me&the camera a bit too shaky.

lol Hud is funny at times&it got me attached to him so much. ='[

eh well anyways i have to say this movie felt more like a ride than a movie.(it would make an interesting ride at a theme park though)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)