SM OU ~1300 Balance team

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 6.45.17 AM.png

Garchomp
I decided to use Garchomp as a stealth rocks lead. I noticed that it's been fainting quite easily after setting stealth rocks. I'm thinking of replacing swords dance with hidden power ice to counter other leads like Landorus-T and other Garchomps. I've also been wondering if I should just replace Garchomp with Landorus-T. It has a higher attack stat which can help get a few KOs early on. If I replace with Landorus-T I would run stealth rocks, hidden power ice, earthquake, and explosion with possibly a groundium-z or icium-z.

Magearna
I want Magearna to be a bulky special tank with thunder wave to cripple ash-greninja and mega alakazam. I'm wondering if I should replace flash cannon with a more supportive move such as heal bell. I wanted to run volt switch for extra momentum and to easily switch out from checks. I ran flash cannon for steel stab for checking tapu lele and bulu. I am wondering if I should replace flash cannon for a better offensive typed move such as fleur cannon.

Rotom-W
I ran rotom-w as an offensive pivot to counter garchomp, landorus-t, and greninja with volt switch and hydro pump. I ran thunder wave once again to cripple fast sweepers. I was pleasantly surprised at how bulky rotom-w can be. I am wondering if I should change some EVs or change leftovers for something more offensive. Or perhaps I can just switch rotom-w with something more offensive such as Tapu Koko.

Mega-Alakazam
Mega-Alakazam is the main special sweeper for the team. I was able to easily KO 2+ mons with it. I am wondering if I should change anything in its moveset. Otherwise, I am very satisfied with how well Mega Alakazam performs in battle. I've seen huge sweeps with Mega Gardevoir as well. However, I still feel that Mega Alakazam outclasses Mega Gardevoir.

Tornadus-T
I haven't seen good performance with Tornadus. I feel that I need to change its moveset while keeping knock off and defog. I haven't seen much performance with hurricane and haven't been seeing much use for heat wave (basically I haven't seen much Kartanas or Ferrothorns). I feel that using a slot just for defog is not very efficient at all. I want Tornadus to have a better offensive set as well.

Ferrothorn
I decided to put a second, more physically defensive tank in my team. I chose Ferrothorn for its typing. I've been advised that stacking entry hazards is a good idea, thus running spikes. I ran leech seed and leftovers for recovery. However, I am still worried that this wouldn't be a sufficient enough recovery. I ran gyro ball with 0 speed IVs and a relaxed nature for maximum damage, and ran power whip for extra grass stab.

Hi, this team looks pretty solid. But I'd like to make a few suggestions to make it even better.

Major Changes:
-->

Ash Greninja over Ferrothorn preserves the Spikes supplied by Ferrothorn which makes it form a really devastating offensive core with Alakazam and Garchomp, gives much needed priority and another Pokemon with a high Speed to make up for the lack of a Choice Scarf user, as well as more offensive pressure. Ferrothorn and Magearna were also redundant together and Ferrothorn didn't really bring too much to this team as a whole.

Minor Changes:
Rotom-W with 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD and a Calm nature avoids the 2HKO from Ash Greninja's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock damage (very important seeing as it's the only Water resist), checks offensive Heatran lacking Toxic much easier, and still maintains the physical bulk necessary to handle Landorus-T, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Scizor.

Tornadus-T should have a spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe with a Timid nature to take less damage from residual damage like Stealth Rock and sand while performing the same task of checking Grass- and Ground-types. However, you should replace Heat Wave with U-Turn as this team is very momentum based and Tornadus is one of the best pivots in the tier, especially with two other great pivots. And Kartana and Ferrothorn take plenty of damage from Hurricane anyway and generally won't stay in given their disadvantage.

Magearna should be 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 SpD with 15 Speed IVs a Calm nature if you're going for a bit of physical defense as this spreads live Landorus-T's Earthquake from full health if it comes down to that while also underspeeding Chansey and Volt Switching after it moves, letting absorb a potential Toxic from it or Leech Seed from Celesteela. Although if there's a good reason for 6 Speed IVs to underspeed something that I couldn't find, feel free to keep using that.

Threatlist:
Mega Mawile: This is a super scary threat for you to face as nothing on the team can kill it in one shot except Garchomp while every time it comes in safely, it takes a Pokemon. Generally, the best way to pressure this to give it as little leverage as possible is to make it take hazards damage to get it into range of Ash Greninja and to make doubles around it to pressure it as much as possible.

Kartana: Although you have a Tornadus-T, Band and SD variants are super dangerous for you to face as the former kills Tornadus after Stealth Rock and the latter can force a kill once set up. The best way to handle it is to first scout its set, if the Kartana is Scarf then Tornadus can handle it well enough as long as you manage Stealth Rock. However, Banded and SD variants need to be worn down by hazards, paralyzed if possible even if unlikely, with doubles to Greninja and Alakazam, or some combination of the three.

Tapu Koko: This thing outspeeds everything on your team except Mega Alakazam and transformed Greninja, can spam Volt Switch and Thunderbolt freely due to the threat of Hidden Power Ice hitting Garchomp and removing it, can't even by paralyzed, and even uses Roost to prevent chip damage from Tornadus and Water Shuriken from bothering it too much. The best way to handle this thing is to scout if its Choice Specs, Z move, or Shuca and if Choice Specs, predict the locked-in move. However, against any variant, you should try to get up hazards to punish Volt Switch/U-Turn spam as much as possible and get Tapu Koko into range of Water Shuriken or just double to Alakazam to force it out. This is this team's worst matchup by far.

Import: https://pokepast.es/04a976dcd8815f5e

Hope you consider these ideas and hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)