Other 1v1 RGB (peaked #1)

Introduction

First of all, this is my first RMT, so I probably did something wrong (oh well). Anyway, recently I noticed that Meloetta is S rank in 1v1, and being RU player, I decided... sure, why not make a 1v1 team with Meloetta (Meloetta is so cute that it's on my list of favourite Pokémon...) just to get high on a ladder with RU Pokémon, like 20th place or something (I'm not that great at battling, 20th place would be fine).

I was wrong... Meloetta was better than I expected. I got to the first position, which I didn't even expect with my team.

passx1.png

The general idea was to make a team that handles everything with at least one of my Pokémon. I didn't exactly succeed, but the threats this team has problems against are quite rare, so it's probably fine.

(by the way, just a note: list of Pokémon used to check what a given Pokémon deals with comes from list of 20 most common Pokémon in 1v1 on 1760 ladder)

Teambuilding

First, I began with what led to make this team at all. Meloetta is surprisingly bulky, and hits strong with Choice Specs Hyper Beam. It can deal with lots of threats, in particular Kyurem-Black.

Later, I decided on Kyurem-Black. It deals quite well with Pokémon Meloetta has difficulties dealing with, like Mega Gyarados, Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, and Dragonite.

Realizing I have problems with Mega Mawile, I decided to put Mega Charizard into a team. It's strong, but most importantly, it deals with Mega Mawile. I hate its design however, but I guess it's viable...

Disliking Charizard's design, I decided to look for something else to replace it. Mega Mawile turned out to be surprisingly hard to defeat (and was a biggest reason for using Charizard for me). After searching for a while, I decided that the best replacement would be Victini, which was B rank, but who cares, as long it works for me. With correct EV spread, it can survive Mawile's Sucker Punch, and defeat it using overpowered V-Create. Not only that, but Victini can deal with lots of Pokémon, including Meloetta itself (to which I didn't have a check before, other than hoping to win 50/50 against Meloetta).

I also decided to change Meloetta's set into Perish Song, to prevent entire team from being choiced. That was a good choice, because it helped the team against more stallish Pokémon.

I reordered Pokémon realizing that Pokémon create Fire/Grass/Water core... wait, no, I mean, Red/Green/Blue core. While there is nothing special about such cores (other than that they have an article on Wikipedia), might as well reorder stuff to fit a core, right?

(although considering there are no Gen1 Pokémon, and all are from Gen5, this probably should probably be called BW core... after all, Kyurem-Black is black, Meloetta is white, and Victini is middle option from M14)

Team

SANTA (Victini) @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Def / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

I decided to use Victini because my team had problems with Mega Mawile (seriously, this thing is so threatening that I need Pokémon specifically to deal with it, and there aren't many of these). I needed something that was able to deal with Mega Mawile most of time (outside of rare hax, which is actually common in 1v1). Victini fit the bill.

While its role is mostly defeating Mega Mawile, there is more to it. Victini is so powerful that most of time you can just press V-Create, and watch things crumble, especially when attack is boosted with Choice Band.

The EV spread is somewhat unusual, but I will explain it. 104+ speed gives 288 speed, which I need to outspeed 252+ speed Mega Gyarados with 287 speed. Outspeeding it is important, because otherwise Victini loses to Mega Gyarados. And if I can outspeed it, then why not do so?

72 HP / 80 Def is specifically to survive 252+ Attack Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch. According to damage calculator, 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 72 HP / 80 Def Victini: 304-358 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. It also helps against Mega Lopunny - Fake Out combined with Giga Impact doesn't kill Victini - it's that bulky.

252 Attack is used to maximize dealt damage, especially in conjuction with Choice Band.

As for moves, the most important is V-Create. It's fun to see things crumble after being hit with STAB CHOICE BAND 180 BP V-OVERKILL FROM 100 BASE ATTACK POKÉMON. It's the move with highest base power useable in 1v1 (Explosion and Self Destruct don't count, because you always lose after using those). Most of time you will be pressing this red fiery button, because, seriously, it's very powerful.

Fusion Bolt is specifically to deal with water type Pokémon, in particular Mega Gyarados. Mega Gyarados is 2HKOed by Fusion Bolt, while Victini can handle +1 move of Gyarados (assuming it uses Dragon Dance first). Zen Headbutt is just rather pointless STAB that can help hax games with 30% flinch chance (also deals with Conkeldurr, if you were to find one). But why bother pressing that button, when V-Create kills everything? Trick deals with bulky Pokémon that love abusing status moves - after being stuck on one move, they aren't that threatening. And level 1 Pokémon, if you have seen those in 1v1, I sure didn't.

Other options include Bounce and Brick Break, but who cares what coverage options you use when most of time you will press a shiny red button saying V-OVERKILL? There is also option of Choice Scarf, but this is quite terrible in my opinion, you don't outspeed anything notable, and you lose lots of power, so don't do it.

Yet another option is using Charizard instead of Victini, which is what I have done before.

Loses to: Mega Charizard X, Dragonite, Sableye, Salamence, Gengar, Garchomp, Porygon-Z
Wins against: Mega Charizard Y, Mawile, Lopunny, Alakazam, Meloetta, Aggron, Smeargle, Heracross, Gyarados, Gardevoir
Depends: Kyurem-B, Greninja, Azumarill, Metagross

RU Pride (Meloetta) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Perish Song
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Protect

Perish Song Meloetta deals really well with Pokémon that cannot 2HKO Meloetta, and leads opponents to complain that Meloetta should be banned (the idea I don't necessarily disagree with, because Perish Song indeed feels cheap, but as long it's allowed, I will abuse that). The idea behind a set is simple, set up Perish Song, then Protect, then Trick Room if you are faster than your opponent otherwise Protect, and then Protect. Use Magic Coat if you suspect opponent is having Taunt, but prediction for that is quite tricky.

To determine whether your opponent is faster or not, check Perish Song messages. If a message about opponent's Perish Song count falling appears first, it means an opponent is faster. If a message about your Perish Song count falling appears first, it means you are faster, and this should be fixed using Trick Room.

The EVs are designed to survive two Outrages from Kyurem-Black, while making Meloetta as bulky as possible on special side (in fact, you will win against pretty much every single special attacker except for Adaptability Choice Specs Hyper Beam Porygon-Z, because Meloetta is that bulky).

IVs are specified to be as slow as possible (to reduce the need for Trick Room) and have as low attack as possible (to lower damage from Foul Play noticeably). Negative nature was set for attack, because the importance of low speed is quite low (there is Trick Room anyway), but lowering damage from Foul Play is worth it.

Other options are... Choice Specs set, I guess. Victini can deal with lots of stall mons anyway, but I like cheapness of Perish Song myself.

Loses to: Mega Charizard X, Mawile, Dragonite, Salamence, Porygon-Z, Heracross
Wins against: Mega Charizard Y, Kyurem-Black, Alakazam, Greninja, Aggron, Gengar, Garchomp, Gyarados, Gardevoir
Depends: Lopunny, Meloetta (wins against Specs, depends against Perish Song), Azumarill (wins against Perish Song, loses to Band), Metagross
Needs to predict Taunt: Sableye, Smeargle

Better Dragon (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Now this is a fun Pokémon to use, and what I use in most matches (because it's very good). Its Outrages are VERY powerful, it doesn't care about abilities such as Sturdy, and it destroys everything. You may have noticed that two other Pokémon were weak against Salamence and Dragonite. Kyurem-Black nicely patches that by... well, I guess Outrage kills Dragonite, but I prefer myself to kill those two with ICE GUNS (I just find it fun to use x4 weakness in 1v1).

EV spread is very simple. It's supposed to speed tie with max speed Choice Scarf Kyurem-Black, and hit as strong as it can with Outrage. That's all there is to it.

The most important move is Outrage, which is a strong move coming from base 170 attack. Most of time you will be pressing that. Fusion Bolt is against nasty water type Pokémon, in particular Mega Gyarados (hm, haven't I said that before?). Ice Beam is here, because it's fun to kill those dragons with ice guns, in particular Mega Salamence which survives Outrage thanks to Intimidate. Earth Power is... I didn't really have an idea what to put here, there is a reason why Kyurem-Black is in OU (hint: poor movepool). I guess you can harm Heatran without Air Balloon that way.

Better Dragon refers to that it regularly kills dragons in 1v1.

Other options are... Focus Blast. Good if you like missing your hits (I don't, which is why pretty much all moves in this team are 100% accurate... yes, I know, Zen Headbutt is only 99% accurate, but considering how rarely it is used anyway, it doesn't matter).

There is also Haban Berry, because Kyurem-Black's biggest problem are Scarf dragon type attacks, but I like to have a guarantee of killing Mega Salamence when I pick Kyurem-B (this thing is scary). Haban Berry would allow assingning less Speed and more Special Attack into Kyurem-B. Didn't test that, however.

Loses to: Mawile, Sableye, Meloetta, Heracross, Metagross, Gardevoir
Wins against: Charizard, Lopunny, Dragonite, Alakazam, Salamence, Greninja, Smeargle, Gengar, Porygon-Z, Gyarados
Depends: Kyurem-B, Aggron, Azumarill, Garchomp (loses to Scarf Garchomp)

Threat list

Bulky/Sturdy Counter: If Kyurem-Black can defeat these (Mold Breaker), it's great. Otherwise... things get dicey. If counter abuser doesn't have much offensive presence (such as Chansey), Perish Song Meloetta can deal with it, otherwise, I may try making Kyurem-Black use a special attack (it doesn't always succeed however, as they may use Mirror Coat) or Tricking stuff using Victini. The chance the Counter user will go upper-hand are quite high however, because some people put Counter on completely random stuff, and if I don't expect that in time, something will die.

Mega Mawile: While Victini is prepared for it, the matches where I see Mega Mawile in opponent's team are pretty much always tricky, because in those cases often the other two Pokémon are something Victini doesn't deal well with (like Mega Salamence). Nothing else even has chances to defeat Mawile (other than lucky Play Rough miss on Kyurem-Black or Meloetta managing to Protect three times in a row (occured to me once, but that's a rare occurence)).

Latios: Only Kyurem-Black can deal with Specs Latios, and only Victini can deal with Scarf Latios (and Victini may lose due to damage roll).

Scarf Archeops: Defeats the team unless Head Smash misses.

Taunt Steelix: Depends on 50/50 on Meloetta

Importable

SANTA (Victini) @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Def / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- Trick
- Zen Headbutt

RU Pride (Meloetta) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Perish Song
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Protect

Better Dragon (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 244 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Last edited:
Team looks good, I just have a few suggestions:

Victini
  • Bolt Strike > Fusion Bolt. The accuracy is hardly an issue with Victory Star, and the power difference is very noticeable (now you get a guaranteed OHKO on Azumarill, for example). 30% Para is nice too for haxing past Mega Gyarados.
  • I'm not really sure why you need to outspeed Jolly Mega Gyarados. You lose to all Mega Gyarados anyways if they Dragon Dance first turn (which most mega gyaradoses should do against a victini anyways), while Jolly is very rare to begin with. So I'd recommend a spread of 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe (you could also run max hp if you want to beat a Mega Lopunny that gets a crit on fake out). This allows you to still tank a Mega Mawile Sucker Punch and Mega Lopunny Fake out + Giga Impact, but now you can take special sets more easily and still speed creep.
  • Zen Headbutt is pretty worthless, as you mentioned, so there are a few options for this slot. I would definitely recommend Grass Knot with a naughty nature to beat Rhyperior (which your whole team loses to).
Meloetta
  • Minor nitpicks, run relaxed nature, while you should run 252/204+ defense to avoid the 2HKO from Kyurem-B's outrage, though that would be a very lucky Kyurem.
Good team overall, great job on the #1!

Grats on #1 buddy.

You have noted quiet a number of threats on the threat list which can be beaten by the same Pokemon in Mega Mawile, this Pokemon can beat the odds of Mega Gyarados (which is also a problem for ur team), Latios, Archeops while also keeping in-check other Mega Mawile by running some speed evs. So I suggest Mega Mawile instead of Victini.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Also with the mawile change, I think Perish Song Meloetta should be replaced by Specs Meloetta.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)