2016/17 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Chelsea also still owns Christensen who is a top tier CB talent.
I hope they sell him to Gladbach though, so that we can see him in Munich in some years when Boateng or Hummels leaves :>

did Wilshere have a offer from Juventus? Why wouldn't he go there then instead?

Some ppl here are saying he doesnt want to leave his "comfort zone" and this may be not good for his carreer.
At Juvetus he would be an outsider, and in his new team he is the main star and stuff like this.

what do you think?
No the three in the race were crystal palace, bournemouth and roma. He chose bournemouth because he wanted a free flowing style

It's disappointing to know that the club wasted the majority of the window chasing Koulibaly instead of lining up someone just as good as a back up plan.......and like you said, there were so many that would've been better for their valuations. That being said, my first reaction was one of amusement rather than dismay, mostly since Luiz already has more PL experience and now has more experience in general, and because if any one can make him look better than he is, it's Conte. The only thing that bothers me about us buying him back is that he's now 29 but I suppose we don't really need a young defender with Zouma recovering on the sidelines and Alonso also being signed (though I'm still skeptical about him).
If they use him as a rotation player then I would say it was a decent signing, a little expensive but decent. If he becomes anything more then it would be a terrible signing in my opinion

Fifa president Gianni Infantino said "football history" was made after video replays were used for the first time in an international match during France's 3-1 friendly win over Italy.

Video was used when Italy appealed for a penalty after a perceived handball in the box by defender Layvin Kurzawa.

Referee Bjorn Kuipers stopped play while TV replays were consulted and it was decided not to award a spot-kick.

Infantino hopes the technology will be used at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Trials have already taken place in the United Soccer League - the third tier of football in the USA - and it will also be tested in six other countries in the next two years, including Germany and Italy.

"You could see that the referee stopped play for a couple of seconds and during those seconds the two referees in the truck verified that there was no penalty," Infantino told Italy's Rai TV.

"We've seen football history here," he added. "We're in 2016 so it's about time to try it."

Thursday's match was staged at the San Nicola Stadium in Bari.

So, this happened. Hopefully, this is the first step of many.

Michael Bisping

Banned deucer.
how the hell does Man Utd, Feyenoord and Fenerbahce end up in the same group?
they are all seed worthy alone.
Just quoting this to join in on the convo, I've been a fan of Fenerbahce ever since I was a child, and I'm glad we drew Feyenoord instead of something like Shakhtar Donetsk. (Rip Atiker Konyaspor)

Of course Man U is going to steamroll us but at least I have some hope in Dick Advocaat this year. Vitor Pereira needed to go, it's Fernandao and Emenike's turn.

Fifa president Gianni Infantino said "football history" was made after video replays were used for the first time in an international match during France's 3-1 friendly win over Italy.

Video was used when Italy appealed for a penalty after a perceived handball in the box by defender Layvin Kurzawa.

Referee Bjorn Kuipers stopped play while TV replays were consulted and it was decided not to award a spot-kick.

Infantino hopes the technology will be used at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Trials have already taken place in the United Soccer League - the third tier of football in the USA - and it will also be tested in six other countries in the next two years, including Germany and Italy.

"You could see that the referee stopped play for a couple of seconds and during those seconds the two referees in the truck verified that there was no penalty," Infantino told Italy's Rai TV.

"We've seen football history here," he added. "We're in 2016 so it's about time to try it."

Thursday's match was staged at the San Nicola Stadium in Bari.

So, this happened. Hopefully, this is the first step of many.
I really hope this doesn't turn into american football with multiple stops to exam everything in the game

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37271746
"Wayne played wherever he wanted to. I can't stop Wayne playing there," said Allardyce.

Allardyce added: "I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager.

"Using his experience with a team, and playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he's going to play.

"It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position, and contributing.

"I must admit, he did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play today, but I was pleased with his performance."

??? Who is the manager then ??

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37271746
"Wayne played wherever he wanted to. I can't stop Wayne playing there," said Allardyce.

Allardyce added: "I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager.

"Using his experience with a team, and playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he's going to play.

"It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position, and contributing.

"I must admit, he did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play today, but I was pleased with his performance."

??? Who is the manager then ??
I don't understand why they keep him in the team like this, is there not another good playmaker they can select?

No time even to rant these days :( but I'm basically very happy Wilshere got a loan to Bournemouth, I have no doubt he will tear it up there and I still think he's a first choice midfielder at Arsenal when (if) he comes back fully fit. It's not entirely his or England's fault that he's been injured for the whole season, every season, since 2011 but what is infuriating is Hodgeson insisting on playing him as a deep lying midfielder in the few games we had him for - negating all of his dribbling and creative strengths and exposing his rash tackling and long pass weakness. I really hope Allardyce will use him in the no.10 after he has a great season at Bournmouth. For me, Arsenal's strongest midfield still includes Wilshere (Ozil, Wilshere, Xhaka) even if he just played at the same level as the 10/11 season and didn't improve at all for the rest of his career because he was phenomenal. Maybe people forget after all these injuries but Wilshere has so much sheer talent that if he stays fit I think he will make a come back after all these years. I say that because he scores spectacular goals and always plays well in the few games he manages to make it onto the pitch every season and his cute snappy 5 yard passes are genuinely a joy to watch.

No time even to rant these days :( but I'm basically very happy Wilshere got a loan to Bournemouth, I have no doubt he will tear it up there and I still think he's a first choice midfielder at Arsenal when (if) he comes back fully fit. It's not entirely his or England's fault that he's been injured for the whole season, every season, since 2011 but what is infuriating is Hodgeson insisting on playing him as a deep lying midfielder in the few games we had him for - negating all of his dribbling and creative strengths and exposing his rash tackling and long pass weakness. I really hope Allardyce will use him in the no.10 after he has a great season at Bournmouth. For me, Arsenal's strongest midfield still includes Wilshere (Ozil, Wilshere, Xhaka) even if he just played at the same level as the 10/11 season and didn't improve at all for the rest of his career because he was phenomenal. Maybe people forget after all these injuries but Wilshere has so much sheer talent that if he stays fit I think he will make a come back after all these years. I say that because he scores spectacular goals and always plays well in the few games he manages to make it onto the pitch every season and his cute snappy 5 yard passes are genuinely a joy to watch.
I hope he does well with Bournemouth and gets back to full strength. I think arsenal's best midfield doesn't include him yet (carzola, Xhaka, Ozil) but carzola is getting older and I think by next season, if wilshere gets back up to strength, then he will get put in that midfield discussion. I would say Ramsey is probably interchangeable with carzola right now. Ideally I would love to see Ramsey and Wilshere in a diamond midfield with ozil at the front and Xhaka and Coquellin holding the backline.

I hope he does well with Bournemouth and gets back to full strength. I think arsenal's best midfield doesn't include him yet (carzola, Xhaka, Ozil) but carzola is getting older and I think by next season, if wilshere gets back up to strength, then he will get put in that midfield discussion. I would say Ramsey is probably interchangeable with carzola right now. Ideally I would love to see Ramsey and Wilshere in a diamond midfield with ozil at the front and Xhaka and Coquellin holding the backline.
Sanchez upfront with Giroud?

Last edited:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37312487

So both Madrid clubs' ban on transfers upheld in the next two transfer windows. That leaves only Barcelona out of the three La Liga teams able to conduct transfers although they might be close to broke trying to keep hold of MSN. Nice opportunity for Bayern, Juv, PSG and the Manchester clubs to buy players without competition from these teams.

"Wilshere and Ozil can complement each other very well, don't forget Ozil can play on the wing"; "Wilshere is a world class player"; "Certainly one day he will be in my seat", Wenger on Wilshere's talent and football brain. He went even further than I thought he would on that! It just confirms what I suspected - that Wilshere goes straight into the team once he is fully fit and I would be happy with that. I can't wait to watch him for Bournemouth because I love to watch him play, just like Fabregas, Silva and Ozil. I wish I have more time to watch La Liga, especially when Iniesta, Xavi and Messi were together... Youtube highlights do the job mostly :P

Next window looks like an opportunity, however don't forget Barcelona still signed Arda Turan when they had a transfer ban so it might not have as big an impact as we might think. I still expect transfer fees to escalate in the next few windows at least.

every transfer window is an opportunity never taken for arsenal.
No transfers for Madrid clubs, the problem is if the English clubs pull players out of those clubs, leaving Barca in a league of 1.

Madrid clubs would be pretty stupid to let go of their prized assets now after the ban (so no selling Griezzman or Saul, for example). Its more concerning for Real Madrid as many of their better players (such as Benzema, Ronaldo, Ramos, Pepe) are in their 30s.

Next window looks like an opportunity
If Messi is on offer for 20 mil, Wenger will bid 19.9 mil :-P

I'm more surprised Arsenal wasn't in for Sturridge. Klopp doesn't fancy him and he only starts 1 game, on the wing because Klopp wants Firmino to be his go-to Centre-Forward / False Nine.

Last edited:
It will end up a transfer ban like Barcelona's where they still signed players. Ronaldo at 35 will still be getting goals, they don't have to replace him like they might most of their other squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)