2021 PU Circuit Feedback & 2022 Circuit Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
pu circuit.png

Title stolen from UU

Hi, I'm really happy with how circuit went this year. It feels like the format we have works well, but this thread is here to ask you all if there is something you feel should be changed. Here is what we had:
  • PU Classic SM, ORAS, BW, and DPP
  • PU Open
  • PU Seasonal
  • PU Ladder Tournament
  • PU Seasonal 2
Seasonals and Slam were Type A tournaments, PULT was a type B tournament with slightly less points given out compared to our 2019 circuit, and Classic was a type C tournament.

seasonal and slam:
seasonal and slam scoring.jpg

ladder tour and classic (only people who qualify for playoffs get points in these tours):
ladder tour and classic scoring.jpg

Do you like how it went, is there anything you feel could be done better, do we nuke a tour and replace it with something else?

I will have this thread open for a bit, less than a week most likely

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
The circuit format as it is sounds pretty good with Classic always touching on old gens. I did have an idea to add one more tour in the circuit that can also touch on old gens and that is Homefield Advantage

Here's the NU version which we did this past circuit and it was a big hit imo
NU - NeverUsed Homefield Advantage

Basically, it would be a Bo3 single-elim tour with the 1st game played being SS PU. Each person who signs up would pick an old gen PU meta they consider or believe to be their best one (SM, ORAS, BW, DPP, ADV) and that would be their "homefield." So, whoever loses that SS PU game would have the "homefield advantage" in the next game since that's the next meta to be played.

Ex: I love SM PU and I'd pick that as my homefield. Let's say I lost the SS game, well then SM PU would be the next game in the Bo3 to be played to give me a good chance at tying up the series.

I think it would be fun. With enough support, I'm sure PU can get it in the circuit. Forgive me if this tour has been done in the past, but I don't recall seeing it.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
I thought the circuit overall went pretty well this year, I thought the amount of tours was perfect really, and I wouldn't increase the amount by adding another tournament or gimmick on top of what we already have. This is just my personal stance, so maybe others disagree. There are some minor changes I'd make however:

Change one of the seasonals to a Swiss Tournament or Majors format - It's not a very large change by the grand scheme of things, but it'd keep the circuit fresh all year round instead of doubling up on tournaments. Obviously, this would mean renaming the other seasonal to something else.

Add ADV to Classic - It has the popularity, the metagame seems enjoyable and it needs the development as a metagame. It also solves the issue of having four metagames to choose from for playoffs. We'd have an odd amount now, which means nothing would be cut. Just seems like the obvious choice from my point of view. That being said, this is not a post advocating for it to be added to PUPL / PUWC.

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Im very fine with the circuit being as it is for now. Oathkeeper brought up Homefield tournament that was played in NU this year. I'm absolutely shooting it down. The people I spoke with about it during (and after) the tournament absolutely hated it. Not to say I wasn't personally the biggest fan of it myself either.

The only thing above I can agree with is Chlo's suggestion to change one of the seasonals to Swiss/Majors. This should also be taken into account while thinking how much points it will reward. This years pointing felt very balanced to me overall.

In the end of day I honestly don't care that much whats in and whats not. Changing something that works just for the sake of change doesn't sound very ideal either, so yeah, theres that

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Add ADV to Classic - It has the popularity, the metagame seems enjoyable and it needs the development as a metagame. It also solves the issue of having four metagames to choose from for playoffs. We'd have an odd amount now, which means nothing would be cut. Just seems like the obvious choice from my point of view. That being said, this is not a post advocating for it to be added to PUPL / PUWC.
Echoing this point, ADV objectively needs some love and attention. I'd love to get the ball rolling on some new development for it but there's only so much I can when so few games get played even just as friendlies. Having it in a more high stakes place like Classic will help more proven players be motivated to join and build/play the meta (no offense to more casual players, there's just only so much that a regular forum tournament can do). Seeing higher level play in ADV will allow me and the TLs to see if any immediate issues have arisen since the previous developments in the tier.

As for other reasons, the meta is extremely fun and enjoyable both to build for and play, and feels very balanced as it currently stands. I had a lot of fun prepping for my PUPL game vs Raichy (even if it didn't count) and I have still been building new teams in my free time. Even lower ranked Pokemon like Ariados, Noctowl, and Flaaffy have genuine niches in the tier and make it feel a lot more diverse than it might seem at first glance.

I will also agree that now is not the time to add ADV to PUPL and PUWC. As much as I advocated for it to be in this year's PUWC, I was mostly trying to gain support for people playing it seriously. I know at least on the Midwest team, a few of our other players were interested in playing it when we still thought it could be a possibility. Maybe after some developments and more serious play I would legitimately advocate for adding it to the big team tours, but for now Classic seems like a good start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)