3DS Team

Please bear in mind that I am looking for any helpful comments, so feel free to suggest any other team mates/ movesets/ EV spreads/ etc.

I have never Double Battled competitively before, so this has been a challenge for me. I wanted to try using a Tailwind based team that could stop Trick Room users such as Chandelure, Jellicent and Reuniclus. However, I am having a great deal of trouble coming up with two more Pokemon after my initial four. That is where I hope to get the most feedback.

Team at a glance:

In-depth analysis:

Mienshao (F) @ Focus Sash Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Wide Guard

I decided to use Mienshao when I discovered how badly I could be beaten by moves such as Rage Powder and Trick Room. Ideally, when combined with Tornadus, Mienshao can disrupt whatever opening strategy my opponent is planning. For example, it can cause Whimsicott or any other Pranskter ability pokemon to flinch while my Tornadus kills it off with Acrobatics or delivers a taunt to halt a Chandelure or something from setting up Trick Room. She can also hit pretty hard with Drain Punch (Terrakion, Scrafty, Bisharp, Hydregion and nuetral damage against threats like Conkeldurr, Haxorus, and Archeops). Wide Guard also helps to Stop incoming Rock Slides, Heat Waves and Water Spouts, allowing me to set up Tailwind.

Tornadus (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Prankster
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Acrobatics

Tornadus usually combines well with Mienshao. He can Taunt Trick Room-using pokemon or other Tailwind users. His boosted Acrobaticcs usually ensures that he is able to either do a great deal of damage or deliver a KO before using his priority Tailwind to set up for the rest of my team. He can help out against Conkeldurr, Scrafty, Amoongus, Whimsicott, and Mienshao. His weakness to Rockslide is generally well covered by Mienshao's Wide Guard, but he also is weak to Thundurus, Terrakion, Archeops, Jellicent, etc.

Hydreigon (F) @ Haban Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 HP
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Here I wanted a sweeper with limited weaknesses and considerable coverage to get a boost from Tailwind. Hydreigon seems to fit that role quite well. He usually covers Chandelure, Reuniclus, Amoongus, Musharna, Haxorus and Hydregion (if he gets Tailwind), and does neutral damage to about everything else. I went with the Modest nature because I figured it could give me some extra damage while I would rely on Tailwind for speed. His EV spread and Haban Berry allows him to switch in on any dragon type, take a dragon-type attack and return with a One Hit KO to any non-haban berry using Hydregion, Haxorous or Druggion. Of course its not as relevant with Tailwind active. He is not as good a counter to Jellicent as I had hoped. Should his Dark Pulse one-hit Jellicent? I feel like it wont be enough to kill it before Jellicent can set up Trick Room or use Water Spout.

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
Trait: Justified
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Attack
- Protect

Terrakion is fairly fast, so he is a good option even without Tailwind. I am not sure if Rock Gem is the best item for him. I was also considering Life Orb, Expert Belt, and Air Balloon, but those have more limited applications. Any advice here? Overall he performs quite well. He uses protect to wear down Trick Room users, Rock Slide hits hard and wide to a number of threats (Thundurus, Tornadus, Archeops, Chandelure, Volcarona, Hydregion), and quick attack helps with shutting down focus sashers such as Meinshao and other Terrakions. I have trouble with using him because he is weak to fighting attacks. This is trouble when I want to have him coupled with Hydregion.

Jellicent (M) @ Water Gem Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

I have some trouble using this guy. He is definitely helpful in my weakness to Fighting attacks, and a boosted Water Spout can be very effective. However, Unless I start the match with Jellicent/ Tornadus and boost with a Tailwind, the opponent can usually cripple my Water Spout by attacking Jellicent. He has been a real 50/50 situation. Half the time I am able to use Jellicent in an effective way; the other half he can be shut down easily by an opponent that is familiar with his move set.

Eelektross (F) @ Choice Specs Trait: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 92 SAtk / 100 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot

I wanted something that could benefit from Tailwind while also having an attack that will one-hit KO Jellicent. Eelektross can do both of these while also providing great coverage against Hydregion, Reuniclus, Archeops, Haxorus etc. My main concerns are with his item. Choice Specs is mostly there for added power. However, it limits my options for attacks (obviously) and thunderbolt does get resisted by a number of serious threats if I get stuck on it with Choice Specs. Also he is much less useful without Tailwind.

Observed Threats:

Chandelure: Because of his focus sash, he is able to set up Trick Room (if I dont taunt him) or deliver a Heat Wave that do some considerable damage to my opening members. Also he avoids all of Mienshao's moves.

Amoongus: I can usually fake-out and then hit him with an Acrobatics. However, this becomes tough if my opponent starts out with two Protects. Taunt can help, but I would definitely like to hear suggestions about how I can counter him more effectively.

Jellicent: He can normally either set up Trick Room or start things off with a powerful Water Spout. The main problem I am having is predicting whether I should have something to deal with him in my first two pokemon or if I should expect him to come in after. I am HIGHLY interested in hearing how I could more effectively deal with him.

Conkeldurr: He hits my Hydregion and Terrakion with super effective Mach Punch/Hammer Arm. Acrobatics is a nice option, but Tornadus is usually already done by the time Conkeldurr shows up.

Archeops: His high speed and ability to Rock slide are tough, but I can usually hit it first with either Terrakion or anything with Tailwind. Then Defeatist does the rest.

Terrakion: His access to STAB Fighting and Rock attacks really means that unless I've set up Tailwind, blocked him with Wide Guard or hit him with Acrobatics/HI Jump Kick, I am in trouble.

Hydregion: This is mainly just a threat to my own Hydregion (if he is not boosted by Tailwind). Should I switch my Hydregion to Timid? Maybe a different team member could help?

Thundurus: If he is a lead I am usually in a tough position. I can taunt him to lock down his Thunderwave and substitute. But after that he can easily take out my Tornadus. He is also a scary late game sweeper.

Whimsicott: His ability to set up tailwind and taunt is annoying. I can usually stop it with Fakeout/ Acrobatics or my Tornadus' taunt.

Please feel free to let me know about any threats that you perceive but are not listed.

Thanks for all helpful comments about the movesets/abilities/EV spreads/ New Team Members/ etc.

Hi Marc23, here are my suggestions for improving your team:

- After using Mienshao, I first chose Drain Punch over Hi Jump Kick because its safer, but then I realized after giving it Drain Punch, it's staying power increased, and Shao was able to remain in battle long enough to detect an extra turn or two and further opposing tailwinds and trick rooms. If you never use Quick guard, get rid of it for Acrobatics for other Shao leads.

-Instead of Choice Band on the Eelektross, go with Electric Gem to take advantage of tross's stab + move pool. Or take the Dark Gem thing for opposing ghost leads, i.e. Chand/Cent

-Lose the Chople Berry on the Scrafty. His EV spread is defensive, so an attack boosting item or something else might be more useful here.

Overall, looks pretty solid, I think the Eelektross is an important aspect to this team, providing you with a lot of late-game power (and an answer to Jellicent), utilize his crap speed while the trick rooms are up or w/ tailwind. Hope any of this helps, gl

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
You could always put Rock Slide on Mienshao. Also, I would suggest not using expert belt on terrakion. Most of the things it is hitting for super effectiveness is dying anyways because of his great attack, so I would either put on Fighting Gem or Rock Gem.

I would advise putting Rock Slide, Acrobatics, or U-turn on Mienshao over Quick Guard. Rock Slide is for doubles hitting, Acrobatics is for supereffective hits and U-turn is to get in, hit, get out and Fake-Out more later.

Have you considered using Jellicent on your team? Your Scrafty doesn't seem to be doing you any favors. Jellicent with Ice Beam and Water STAB could cover some of your weaknesses, handle Conkeldurr and Terrakion, etc.

Another tailwind user comes to mind: Whimsicott. It gets Priority Tailwind, Taunt, Encore, Leach Seed, Substitute, etc etc. It could help you in setting up and messing with the opponent. A good Taunt can help stop Trick Room.

Thanks for these suggestions. I have made a few changes to my team. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how I can counter Thundurus and Conkeldurr specifically.

If the thunderus lead happens to have hp flying, your mienshao will be in trouble. Otherwise you have rock slide for it, which your terrakion also uses. For conk you can give your hydreigon Draco meteor with white herb especially if the conk is damaged already.

Mienshao - standard, looks good
Seems like late-game conks might give you a lot of trouble assuming tornados dies early (which he usually does)
I think jellicent is a pretty effective poke in tw, but I feel like musharna could help a bit more despite its lack of offensive abilities. It could at least ko conk w/psychic and resists half his move pool. Additionally, if the foe pulls off the tr, you have your own tr to reverse, if need be, so you can secure sweeping with hydreigon and also with tross if the tr still happens to be in effect or of course tw.
As far as hydreigon goes, protect is cool to save yourself from Mach punch, but if jellicent can easily set up against this team, then taunt>protect
Now for thunderus, instead of terrakion, consider conk b/c it can dually operate under tailwind and trick room but most importantly, it's immune to thunderus' priority thunder wave (which destroys this team) after flame orb kicks in. (not to mention amoongus and his spore). Hope any of this can help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)