3rd Team!!! Getting better!!! Please Rate

</p>Hey everyone!!! It's me again with yet another RMT thread. I got a pretty good response on the second thread and decided to make an entirely new team. I've used pokemon from all generations so I have more choices this time. But once again, I haven't used any legendaries. So anyway, this is me.

ABOUT ME AND MY TEAM

</p>I'm a regular 15 year old who really likes to play games competitively. I've recently started with pokemon white and realised that a lot more features have been introduced in the game since the red version(which I had played earlier), making it rather interesting. I battle regularly with human opponents, but am yet to start competitive battling. Waiting for the right team I guess.

</p> I'm not a fan of legendary pokemon as their power allows them to beat the other pokemon with relative ease, but I don't mind battling against them. So my team does not have any legendary pokemon in it, but I'm trying to make it strong enough to take on anything that is thrown at it.

N.B.: The pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses, etc. are all based on my own judgements and I hope to get some feedback on the same.

MY TEAM

</p>My team consists of a mix of attacking, defensive as well as support pokemon from all generations so as to maintain a balance which allows them to fare better as a team using their own individual skills and profiting from those of their team-mates. I've tried to cover as many types as possible and also taken the conditions normally seen in gameplay such as weather conditions, effects of abilities, etc. into consideration. So without further delay, I present to you all, MY TEAM!!!

Umbreon@Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Careful(+SDef, -SAtk)
EV Spread: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 6 Def
Moves: -Taunt
-Curse
-Wish
-Baton Pass

Purpose of set

</p>EVs increase bulk and defenses to allow umbreon to take hits. Careful nature increases SDef by 10% while leftovers recover HP to increase longevity. Synchronize is for status inducers. Moveset is basically support based and baton pass is the essence of this set allowing umbreon to help team-mates regain health with wish as well as set-up with curse. Taunt is for opponents that try to set up on it or cripple it with taunt or any other status moves and also to stop entry hazards.

Role in the team

</p>Umbreon is just on this team as a support pokemon and does not inflict any damage or status. Curse boosts provided by umbreon to pokemon via baton pass make my other pokemon, especially those with powerful priority moves rather dangerous. It can also heal mates and itself with wish so it's a great move for a supporting Umbreon. Umbreon also taunts opponents making life a lot easier for itself and the team as well.

Strengths

• A true wall with excellent defensive capabilities
  • Does pretty well against stall
  • Is an excellent baton passer

Weaknesses

• Has a 2x weakness to fighting and bug moves
  • Has no way of recovering from status problems if it isn't holding lum berry
  • Faster stallers can taunt it and force it out

Milotic@Petaya berry
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Calm(+SDef, -Atk)
EV Spread: 252 HP / 176 Def / 72 SDef / 10 Spe
Moves: -Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Surf
-Hidden Power(Fire)

Purpose of set

</p>EV Spread and nature makes milotic very bulky and along with marvel scale has excellent overall bulk. Petaya berry allows it to raise its SAtk by 50% when health is in red. It can then rest and recover health and still have the SAtk boost so it can hit harder. Resttalk is the best way to go with milotic because rest activates marvel scale. Surf is the STAB attack option while HP(Fire) is for coverage as well as for major threats like scizor, forretress, ferrothorn etc.

Role in the team

</p>Mainly functions as a wall and hits pretty hard with its decent special attack stat and STAB Surf. Also helps counter some major threats with HP(fire).

Strengths

• Has a lot of bulk and a pretty good SAtk stat
  • Can handle status really well
  • Deals with both physical and special sweepers efficiently

Weaknesses

• Has 2x weakness to electric and grass moves
  • Resttalk is pretty unreliable as a set

Hitmontop@Lum berry
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant(+Atk, -SAtk)
EV Spread: 252 Atk / 186 Def / 72 SDef
Moves: -Sucker Punch
-Mach Punch
-Rapid Spin
-Foresight

Purpose of set

</p>It's basically a combination of the priority sweeper and rapid spinner set with EVs invested in Atk instead of HP with adamant nature to boost the same. Lum berry allows hitmontop to handle status from will-o-wisp users. It also allows him to come in on even three layers of toxic spikes and then just spin them away. Mach punch with technician becomes 90 BP with STAB while sucker punch is for psychic types and offensive ghosts like chandelure and shandera. Some ghost types avoid sucker punch by just using status moves. Foresight allows top to hit them with mach punch. This also means mach punch can be used against spiritomb to deal super-effective damage due to its dark/ghost typing. But it is best used when a ghost is blocking top from spinning.

Role in the team

</p>Hitmontop is just so good at everything it does, be it spinning, using priority attacks or coming in on the curse boosts of umbreon and ripping teams apart. That aside, it adds valuable coverage against ice and steel types with mach punch and also has an excellent priority dark move in sucker punch to hit those annoying psychic and ghost types, reuniclus being the most annoying.

Strengths

• Diverse movepool and excellent priority attacks
  • Great stat distribution that allows it to do lots of important things for the team
  • Access to foresight lets him counter spin blocking ghosts
  • Technician powers up mach punch giving it 90 BP with STAB
Weaknesses

• Has 2x weakness to flying and psychic type moves
  • Has a pretty low base HP and doesn't last too long
  • Struggles against faster priority users

Dragonite@Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Careful(+SDef, -SAtk)
EV Spread: 252 HP / 252 Sdef / 6 Def
Moves: -Extremespeed
-Aqua tail
-Thunder Punch
-Roost

Purpose of set

</p>Ok firstly, I need to make it clear that I am not using dragonite as a bulky sweeper but more of a bulky coverage pokemon who can also function as a sweeper with umbreons curse support and priority extremespeed. I know it misses STAB dragon moves but it's in the best interests of the team that dragonite be used this way. Besides, its 4x weakness to ice and the abundance of faster ice types and priority ice shard users(even donphan gets it)makes dragon dancing very difficult.

</p>So what I've done is given Dragonite a Life Orb and Extremespeed as its main attacking move. Its EV spread and nature makes dragonite bulky and also increases SDef. Life Orb increases damage and with proper support from umbreon dragonite can boost its defense as well as attack and can even sweep with extremespeed while being a wall on both sides especially at full HP. It can recover the lost HP and also keep multiscale intact with roost. Aqua tail gives dragonite excellent coverage with Extremespeed and can also be used against slower pokemon to inflict that little extra damage. It can hit heatran and rock types for super-effective damage. Thunder punch lets dragonite hit gyarados for 4x damage. Other dangerous water types like Cloyster are also hit for super-effective damage.

Strengths

• Multiscale makes dragonite very hard to put away
  • Priority extremespeed has base power 80 and after curse boosts can finish off unprepared teams
  • Has thunderpunch for bulky water types which are otherwise taking only neutral damage from my other pokemon
  • Is a wall on both sides and with multiscale, roost, curse, life orb and extremespeed is seemingly unstoppable

Weaknesses

• Has a 4x weakness to ice type moves and 2x weakness to dragon and rock type moves
  • Is too reliant on Umbreon to be fully effective
  • Presence of priority ice shard is really bad for dragonite especially if not at full HP

Staraptor@Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Nature: Adamant(+Atk, -SAtk)
EV Spread: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Moves: -Brave Bird
-Return
-Close Combat
-U turn

Purpose of set

</p>A simple 252/252/6 in Attack, Speed and HP along with Adamant nature, reckless and choice band turn staraptor into an all out physical sweeper that will take out anything that doesn't outspeed it. I say that because of its STAB brave bird which hits an amazing 180 base power with STAB and coming off 508 Atk with Choice band and also the boost provided by reckless ability means that anything that doesn't resist brave bird or hasn't increased its defense will get OHKO'd. Close combat is for rock as well as steel types while return, which hits over 150 base power with STAB is for the frail attackers that don't need the use of brave bird to be KO'd.

Role in the team

</p>Its main role in the team is that of a reliable CB physical sweeper with STAB brave bird doing the job most of the time. It also helps provide cover to umbreon by switching in on both fighting and bug types and resisting their moves, then knocking them out with brave bird which hits both for S.E. damage.

Strengths

• Has excellent attack and decent speed and is built to sweep
  • STAB brave bird boosted by reckless is amazingly powerful
  • Can counter bug and fighting types pretty well

Weaknesses

• Has 2x weakness to rock, electric and ice type moves
  • Doesn't last very long
  • Gets outsped by some common counters like electivire, froslass to name a few
  • Goes down to priority ice shard from powerful physical attackers like mamoswine
  • Choice band limits its coverage and forces it to switch out

Espeon@Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Nature: Modest(+SAtk, -Atk)
EV Spread: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 6 SDef
Moves: -Psychic
-Shadow ball
-Hidden Power(Fighting)
-Calm mind

Purpose of set

</p>A standard special sweeper espeon set increasing its SAtk and Spe to allow it to function as a sweeper by being fast and also dealing more damage. Modest nature ensures the same by boosting SAtk and life orb makes it hit harder. Magic bounce is a great ability that reflects status changing moves making espeon a very frustrating pokemon for stallers and hazard users to deal with. Psychic has good power with STAB and Shadow ball and HP(fighting) give it perfect coverage. Calm mind is to further boost SAtk and also SDef so it can handle hits better from the special side.

Role in the team

</p>Aside from being a special sweeper, espeon also helps counter status abusers by reflecting their moves. Provides great support to the team in this respect that some late game hazard users and stallers can be dealt with while still managing to sweep the opponents away.

Strengths

• Is built to sweep with excellent speed and special attack stats
  • Has access to calm mind making espeon all the more dangerous
  • Magic bounce helps counter various status abusers giving the team much needed support

Weaknesses

• Has 2x weakness to dark, ghost and bug type moves
  • Despite a good speed stat, gets outsped by some threats like accelgor and gets KO'd by its bug buzz
  • Is still exposed to secondary effects of moves that induce status

KEY FEATURES OF THE TEAM(according to my analysis)

</p>After constantly tyring out the team under different conditions and battling with various opponents, I've come up with some key PROS and CONS that my team has.

PROS

• A well balanced team with most types covered
  • Has a mix of physical based and special based attackers to give versatility
  • Has decent amount of weather coverage
  • Contains a mix of offensive, defensive and balance pokemon
  • Each pokemon offers some form of support to the others
  • Can also work if opponent sets up trick room due to presence of some slow movers and curse umbreon with baton pass on the team

CONS

• Although a lot of types are covered, Some types are still not being hit for S.E. damage, most notably electric types
  • I don't have an entry hazard user on my team
  • Umbreon is too important, and if he fails to do his job, my entire team could fall apart
  • I don't have pokemon that resist dragon moves or hit dragon types for S.E. damage

Conclusion

</p>I feel swords dance scizor can pose a serious threat to my team as umbreon cannot take the risk of taunting it. If it does and gets KO'd in the process, dragonite loses its set-up and my entire team loses its healer. Other notable threats include other hard hitting bug types like volcarona, heracross; powerful fighting types like machamp, conkeldurr, etc. But I also have counters for these pokemon and can safely say that every member of team provides cover to the others in some way or the other.

</p>So that pretty much sums up my analysis of the team and all in all, I'm pretty happy with the way it is right now. But I would really appreciate an outsider's opinion, because every person tends to overlook his/her own shortcomings. I can't help it, I'm human after all. So anyway, RATE AWAY EVERYONE!!!

This is my strategy for the team to work properly. The pokemon, its role and its duties are given below.

Pokemon:Umbreon
Role:Lead
Duties:Curse,Wish and taunt(for walls/stallers/set-up sweepers) then baton pass to Dragonite/Hitmontop/Staraptor(only against trick room teams)

Pokemon:Dragonite
Role:Balance
Duties:Function as a special wall while being on the offensive|Come in on curse and function as a wall and also bulky sweeper with priority extremespeed|Give coverage against bulky waters

Pokemon:Hitmontop
Role:Priority Physical Attacker/Sweeper|Rapid Spinner|Revenge killer
Duties:Use priority attacks to hit hard/sweep(when coming in on curse)|Spin away hazards|Revenge kill set-up sweepers(especially physical) with priority moves

Pokemon:Staraptor
Role:Physical Sweeper|Counter
Duties:Sweep with CB boosted attack and reckless boosted STAB brave bird|Switch-in on bug/fighting types that force umbreon out and kill with S.E. moves

Pokemon:Milotic
Role:Wall|Specially based attacker
Duties:Resttalk foes into submission|Switch-in on many types(except for grass/electric)|Counter major threats like scizor/ferrothorn with HP(fire)|Hit hard with petaya berry boosted SAtk and STAB surf

Pokemon:Espeon
Role:Special Sweeper|Set-up Sweeper|Counter
Duties:Use STAB psychic boosted by life orb to hit hard|Set-up with calm mind when given the chance to sweep efficiently|Counter status abusers with magic bounce and set-up on them

Well, that's a summary of my strategy. I have listed some of the things that I'm hoping to get from you guys and would really appreciate the extra effort.

1)Major threats for the team with counters that fit well on the team, i.e. those that do not force a strategy change
2)Any tweaks that need to be made to movesets, Natures, EV Spreads, etc. of the pokemon on the team
3)In-case of major flaws in the structure of the team, help sort out the same
4)Any additional information that I need to know about for future teams
5)Whether I can use such a team for competitive battling or not

Ok. That's all. Please rate the team and try to fit in the additional tips that I've asked for in your responses.

Feel free to correct me if I´m wrong, but this team belongs on the OU section, since you use Dragonite wich is in the OU tier. Espeon is also in the BL tier.

I posted a team with Volcarona and Hydreigon in it in this section earlier but no one asked me to move it. Anyway, it's done. Thread has been moved to OU. I request the mods to close this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)