3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread [The Pentagon is back!!]

Entei's always been pretty good simply due to how valuable having a good Fire STAB can be for dealing with Ferrothorn, Aegislash, Serperior, Scizor et al, and when that Fire STAB is Sacred Fire then the sky's the limit. Having Extreme Speed to pick things off is really nice and rounds off an Assault Vest set really well, especially considering how much Entei's coverage sucks (Bulldoze ;_;). Choice Band is nice too but makes ESpeed less nice to be locked into when you could just be clicking Sacred Fire repeatedly.

edit: Think Aura Sphere Raikou has any potential? Rash nature robs it of its Speed tier but it still ties with Jolly Khan and it now bulldozes Ferrothorn which is a plus. Weather Ball could be fun to play around with too but idk
Maybe aura phere could be cool on scarf set? Idk maybe raikou could be ran bulkier as well, like an av set to deal with thundurus or something.

Never was used in xy don't see why event raikou will have any reason (except to piss ppl off due to espeed) being used over every other variant

I've noticed a lot of Mega Lucario users taking Extreme Speed over Bullet Punch. Why is that?
I think 'cause Extremespeed has +2 priority while Bullet Punch has +1. You can hit before thundurus for example and this one does not resist to Exspeed, but it resists to Bullet Punch.

There's really nothing you need bullet punch for. Plus, you wanna be able to out-priority talonflame, and be able to hit it neutrally. Espeed also does about the same amount of damage to neutral targets, and the only relevant thing you really need bullet for is faries, but it hits the two most relevant fairies neutrally. So you're much better off being able to pick off tflame and thund instead of sylveon.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah that's basically it, they both have the same BP (80) but Extreme Speed gets that really handy +2 priority so you can nail things like Thundurus / Talonflame before they T-wave / Brave Bird you which makes M-Luc a pretty devastating Swords Dancer.

If you check the PGL stats, Bullet Punch basically never even shows up! I guess since he's pretty frail and has a secondary Fighting-typing means that people don't bother having Lucario do the Fairy-checking in their team

edit: sniped mid-post, shouldn't have gone for snacks midway through lol

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So we saw Cresselia rise from 20th in season 10 to 16th in season 11, and now it's broken the top 12 and is sitting at 10th! Why is this thing rising so quickly? It used to be a staple in the top 12 until season 9-10 where it dropped, and now it's rising again, does anyone know why that is?

In other usage stats news; Garchomp has finally overtaken Suicune again so he's back to 2nd, maybe he can still take the top spot before the season's end..?

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are a lot of elements that I think contributed to the shift in Cresselia usage, but some of the most prominent changes during S10 and 11 include:

- Rise in popularity of Glalie especially after many people found success using it in S9
- Rise in popularity of Stallbreaker Talonflame
- Rise in popularity of Substitute Aegislash. Cresselia is just a free setup and the Aegi side gets a LOT of momentum

Then Thundurus started to become really popular and the above three started to dwindle down, and Mamo rose up a lot.

That's where Cress comes in this season imo, but then again this no-penta thing changes a lot so I can be missing something big here.

A lot of physical threats this season have an incredibly hard time dealing with Cresselia. It's one of the most prominent walls of this season. And with good reason, too - Rocky Helmet Cress is a huge counter to Kangaskhan, which is kinda the undisputed best Pokemon in Battle Spot.

Cress is a very stern Pokemon to handle considering its stern support repertoire between movepool, stat distribution, ability, and viable item (ohhh ya that favorite 90+% usage item so viable forget about itemS even tho Feliburn will make moves on you predicting safety goggles!) To sternly handle such a threat you'd need stallbreakers or special wallbreakers. In terms of physically stern Pokemon, excadrill takes the cake tho certain ttar variants can handle cress as well. Due to the tr lunar dance combo or even twave lunar dance combo tho, or simply lunar dance, I would imagine either stern taunt or setup mons would be the best! Top 12 imo aren't end all be all they're only as far as we can see. I saw the stern duo (and sometimes even solo) mawile and rotom-h so much last season and they aren't in top 12. Still aren't.
Also, where's azu (only a teammate)? And gyara and serp? Sylveon and Gard? These threats are common but top 12 even partners don't show em (except aquabunny)!
All of this said, I have nothing to say regarding the question at hand! Stern pokemon will be stern. No usage ranking changes that!

edit: on 2nd thought, if mawile is increasing in usage then of course cress will also. Cress tr bff along with p2 but especially cress. My final bss battle last season was vs mmawile hydr and cress. that team had no p2. So I can contribute in a stern manner after all!

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
do you not know what stern means?

I know that Pokemon outside the top 12 are good, and you don't have to be in the top 12 to be considered (hell, I've talked about how usage=/=viability in the Viability Rankings thread for example..), but something has to account for the actual amount of usage that something gets. What actually makes people use something more often than something else? Why do people collectively stop using something as much as they used to? Cres is one of the absolute premier physical walls in the metagame, but why did it's usage drop so much and now suddenly rise back? Your post about what Cres does so 'sternly' was good and all but it didn't really answer my question haha.

Gdi cant say I proofread it!
And I did answer: mawile usage increased last season as we saw and cress is a common partner so that's what I said

Edit: also, lunar dance heals pp so suicune can continue to fire off sheer cold. I used to use this with glalie

Last edited:

DragonWhale

is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Going back to usage stats, Lando and Thundy became a lot more popular, Mamo became popular because it beats those two, then Cress became popular because it beats those three, and suicune is popular from sheer cold hype and ability to beat those four.

So can we talk about how Garchomp is still #2 despite all the changes in the non-penta season hurting it? lol. I swear no matter what the meta is like, Garchomp still finds a way to be top-tier (in singles).

DragonWhale

Idk if this counts as a double post but if it is then just do what you gotta do mods. Anyways...

Garchomp is back at the #1 spot. All is right in the world once again.

Don't ask me how it got back there, because I dunno either. That thing just seems to adapt to everything.

Garchomp is and probably always will be that consistently reliable choice for any team, people may try out different stuff for a month or so, but seem to always return to using Chomp because he's that safe bet who's guaranteed to kill or cripple something with little effort no matter what set you're running.

and you're right that he just adapts to any meta, mainly because his movepool allows it. Fairies are stopping your outrage spams? there's poison jab and Iron Head to dispatch those. and Lord knows not much can handle it once there's a swords dance under his belt.

What puzzles me though is that you would think with Garchomp being such a staple, every team would be prepared enough to deal with him to the point where he'd be less effective. Mamoswine's always there to revenge kill it with an ice shard, among other answers. Guess Chomp is just that capable of muscling through most answers people have for him.

and why is Fire Fang such a popular option for him? a super effective fire fang does less damage than a STAB earthquake or outrage.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
The funny thing is, his usage stats are basically identical to his pre-season 12 stats. I'm seriously not going to compare any moves / held items etc. because everything is literally the same except for like ~1% difference here and there. He hasn't adapted at all lol, people just use him coz he's ol' reliable and his usage has caught up with the early season Suicune hype. That and the meta hasn't actually changed that much. Sheer Cold Suicune is the biggest change and that thing has always been able to deal with Chomp with Ice Beam / Icy Wind so it doesn't actually affect him that much. I knew I should have gotten Chompy on my banner. Silly Aegislash's usage just keep dropping...

and why is Fire Fang such a popular option for him? a super effective fire fang does less damage than a STAB earthquake or outrage.
You're forgetting that it's used against resists to Outrage and Earthquake. It does way more damage to Pokemon like Skarm, Ferro, Scizor and Whimsi, as well as random stuff like Magnet Rise Klefki and Abomasnow...

Double-edge mpinsir does more damage than msally
And has sd and feint for espeed priority to beat tflame and priority is priority

But feint illegal with dubedge. Still, quick attack outspeeds most flame anyway since most lack speed that outspeeds even base 101 neutral

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Double-edge mpinsir does more damage than msally
And has sd and feint for espeed priority to beat tflame and priority is priority

But feint illegal with dubedge. Still, quick attack outspeeds most flame anyway since most lack speed that outspeeds even base 101 neutral
Both Feint and Quick Attack are illegal with Double-Edge.. DE is a tutor move from FRLG, and both Quick Attack and Feint became egg moves in gen 4. So if anyone is using DE with a priority move then it's hacked (and shouldn't even make it passed the check)

gdi cant say. Seriously? Scyther can learn quick attack. damn it

anyhow, Double-Edge M-Pinsir is the strongest -ate double edge in the game. It is even stronger than Mega Kangaskhan's!

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 141-168 (71.9 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 144-169 (73.4 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
gdi cant say. Seriously? Scyther can learn quick attack. damn it

anyhow, Double-Edge M-Pinsir is the strongest -ate double edge in the game. It is even stronger than Mega Kangaskhan's!

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 141-168 (71.9 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 144-169 (73.4 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
yeah but for some reason he didn't pass it to Pinsir in gem III. blame GF, not me lol

I was gonna make a thread for this but then I was like "nah." So here's the OP.

ORAS Trick Room in 3v3 Singles

Trick Room is already hard to pull off in a normal 6v6 match. It can be hard to set up Trick Room and utilize it effectively. In BSS, some say it isn't worth trying to set up Trick Room, considering how fast-paced typical battles are in this format. However, due to how common hyper-offensive styles of play are found in BSS, a successful setup of Trick Room can sufficiently smash teams that aren't ready for it. Defensive walls that have access to Trick Room, notably Porygon2 and Cresselia, make for great setters, because they can take hits from a lot of common mons, namely Kangaskhan and Garchomp. Mega Mawile makes for an awesome sweeper, due to its high bulk, Attack, ability in Huge Power, and incredibly low speed. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna make a thread for this but then I was like "nah." So here's the OP.

ORAS Trick Room in 3v3 Singles

Trick Room is already hard to pull off in a normal 6v6 match. It can be hard to set up Trick Room and utilize it effectively. In BSS, some say it isn't worth trying to set up Trick Room, considering how fast-paced typical battles are in this format. However, due to how common hyper-offensive styles of play are found in BSS, a successful setup of Trick Room can sufficiently smash teams that aren't ready for it. Defensive walls that have access to Trick Room, notably Porygon2 and Cresselia, make for great setters, because they can take hits from a lot of common mons, namely Kangaskhan and Garchomp. Mega Mawile makes for an awesome sweeper, due to its high bulk, Attack, ability in Huge Power, and incredibly low speed. What do you guys think?
I believe it can be viable but i still need to encounter a viable trick room team in BSS. Maybe with using lunar dance from cresselia after setting up tric room could work? Do you have such a team btw?

I believe it can be viable but i still need to encounter a viable trick room team in BSS. Maybe with using lunar dance from cresselia after setting up tric room could work? Do you have such a team btw?
I've been using Cresselia and Mawile on BSS lately to moderate success. My team isn't really a Trick Room Team, per se, but I do have it on Cress to help out Mawile in certain situations. I have managed to pull it off a couple times. :)

And when it works, it's absolutely glorious. ;o
63MW-WWWW-WW3W-8NBX

That was pretty low on the ladder, as I suck and can't get out of the 1500's, but still. Mawile in TR wrecks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)