3v3 Singles Sandstorm Team

Hey all,
So two weeks ago I learned that special attack and attack call different defense stats. Since then I read about IVs, EVs, RNGing, countless smogon pages, tiers, and on and on. I've dabbled some in the battle subways and have EV trained some Pokemon and raised them to lvl 100.

In any case, a friend challenged me to a 3v3 singles battle. All the typical Clauses (sleep, species, OHKO) apply, and no legendaries.

After diving in and doing hours of reading I've put together a team for Thai and am hoping to get some feedback. Since only legendaries are banned I'm hoping to take advantage of Excadrill, as a non-legendary Uber. Not sure if this is worth essentially mandating a spot be filled by Tyranitar/Hippowdon, but here goes. Also, I'm only playing White, so that limits some movesets.

Tyranitar
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
EVs:
* *252 Atk
* *252 HP
* *4 Defense/SpDef/Speed
Moveset:
* *Stone Edge
* *Crunch or Payback
* *Dragon Claw
* *Brick Break

I chose Tyranitar as one of the two Sand Stream options. Most of what I read recommends making teams offensive for 3v3 singles since it's typically fast paced and it's difficult to have the necessary checks to make a successful stall team. I modified the EVs and moveset a bit. I got rid of the speed EVs for extra bulk since when it comes to opposing weather inducers one prefers to be slower (not sure if this is something I should actually consider). In any case, his main job is to get the sand flying to set up Excadrill. Hopefully in the process he can do significant damage to whatever he comes up against. The moveset is modified because I don't have access to the move tutors of b2w2. Stone Edge is great. If I'm going with no speed EVs, I don't see why I shouldn't carry Payback over Crunch. Ice Fang instead of Dragon Claw to get the 4x bonus on the likes of Garchomp and Dragonite (no access to ice punch move tutor of b2w2). Brick break in place of superpower (same problem). Basically I wanted an offensive choice for my sand stream poke, but a lot of the moveset relies on things I don't have access to. Suggestions on how to fix/resolve this problem?

Excadrill
Item: Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Nature: Adamant
EVs:
* *252 Attack
* *252 Speed
* *4 HP
Moveset:
* *Swords Dance
* *Earthquake
* *Rock Slide
* *X-Scissor

Excadrill... fairly straightforward. Picking him for all the reasons he got banned from OU. Sand Rush for crazy speed, max spe/atk EVs. Air balloon for protection against other earthquake users. Hopefully set up a swords dance and sweep. Rock slide + earthquake gives great coverage and X-scissor gives better hits on psychic types. Not sure if the inevitably transient ground immunity is worth giving up extra power i could get from a life orb.

Reuniclus
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Bold
EVs:
* *252 Defense
* *252 HP
* *4 Speed
Moveset:
* *Calm Mind
* *Recover
* *Psychic
* *Focus Blast

Reuniclus I picked based on some sandstorm guides. Special attack based meshes well with the atk based Tyranitar and Excadrill. Magic Guard prevents the life orb damage and sand buffeting. Again, trying to stick to offesive pokemon because of the 3 pokes/team. Also hoping to use it as a check against some of the weaknesses Excadrill could face, especially fighting and water. I considered a Trick Room set instead, but then if I want to switch back to Excadrill I'm kind fighting myself at that point, so I went a different direction. I think Reuniclus is the pokemon on the team I'm the least sure of, and would love suggestions on what others think would fit well.

Overall, I'm just looking for a good 3v3 team and figured since only legendaries were restricted, I might as well go with something that was good enough to get banned from OU.

Thanks

Hello !
I would change the moveset/Ev of tyranitar .
Dragon claw/brick break is simply not powerful enough to take down threats like Garchomp or Ferrothorn . Rather, I think it would be better if you use attacks like ice punch , superpower ,or pursuit.
Also, it might be better if you raised the speed Ev by 12. This will allow tyranitar to outspeed threats like scizor .

Lastly, I would say that you should change Excadrill`s item to Sash. This will make him gain more resistance to Breloom , Ninetales , and even Politoad .

Tyranitar Moveset

Are ice punch and Superpower possible on tyranitar in white without the move tutors in w2b2?

While weaker thn ice punch, ice fang would still give me a harder hit against dragons with 4x weakness to ice.

Is there an alternative to superpower that beats break brick that is possible in white?

Hmm… I can think up of two ways to solve your problem.
One is to change your Tyranitar completely to a special attacker,and give him scarf.
Both ice beam and fire blast can give huge damage to steel and dragons,and scarf can give him huge advantage against Latios and sword dance Garchomp.

The second is to change Tyranitar to Hippowdon. While Tyranitar works well against special attackers, Hippowdon works as a more powerful supporter to Excadrill because of his sheer bulk and the move Yawn. This guy can sweep out most Garchomps,Salamences,and Dragonites with no problem.

One more:are Kingdra and Politoad allowed on the same team ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)