4th Gen Rain Dance Team

This is my first attempt at a 4th gen Rain Dance team.This is the current team I have planned for my HeartGold version.Feel free to make changes/comments/etc.

Crobat@Damp Rock
Ability:Inner Focus
Nature:Jolly
EV's:104 HP / 152 Def / 252 Spe
-U-Turn
-Hypnosis
-Rain Dance
-Taunt
Crobat is a excellent lead for a rain dance team.Due to his high speed,he can easily set up Rain Dance for the team.His high speed also allows him to Taunt the opposing lead pokemon from setting up Stealth Rock.Crobat can use Hypnosis to cause sleep for 2-5 turns for easy set up or easier sweeping.U-Turn makes a great damaging free switch out move.

Kingdra@Life Orb
Ability:Swift Swim
Nature:Rash
EV's:208 Atk / 136 SpA / 164 Spe
-Waterfall
-Rain Dance
-Draco Meteor
-Hydro Pump
Kingdra is great mixed sweeper.Hydro Pump can deal with any physical based pokemon that Waterfall can't deal with.Kingdra can use Draco Meteor to deal with grass types that give rain dance teams problems.Due to his bulk,Kingdra can also set up Rain Dance if needed.

Kabutops@Life Orb
Nature:Adamant
EV's:32 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 204 Spe
-Waterfall
-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Jet
Kabutops is a great physical sweeper.Swords Dance is vital for Kabutops to become a effective sweeper.After a Swords Dance or 2,he can start to sweep away with Waterfall and Stone Edge.Aqua Jet give Kabutops the ability to revenge kill pokemon.

Ludicolo@Life Orb
Nature:Modest
EV's:60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
-Surf
-Rain Dance
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot/Energy Ball
Ludicolo is a great special sweeper pokemon and bulky water counter.Surf is your typical water sweeping move.Ludicolo's Grass Knot helps the team drastically from being walled by bulky waters.I also thought about Energy Ball from preventing Vaporeon from walling.Ice Beam helps against dragon types.Due to Ludicolo's special bulk,he can set up Rain Dance as well if needed.

Rotom-W@Damp Rock
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Modest
EV's:252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Shadow Ball
Rotom-W makes a great Thunder abuser and take electric attacks for the team.Hydro Pump destorys any physical based pokemon.Under Rain Dance,Rotom-W can fire off Thunder's effectively.Shadow Ball hits things like Celebi or Starmie from sweeping.

Scizor@Choice Band
Ability:Technician
Nature:Adamant
EV's:248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
-U-Turn
-Brick Break
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
Scizor is a amazing physical sweeper.Under rain,Scizor's only weakness is reduced to 2x.Scizor's main purpose to deal with auto weather pokemon such as Tyranitar and Abomasnow from ruining Rain Dance.Bullet Punch helps take down Tyranitar and Abomasnow effectively.Brick Break can help deal with Magnezone that could sweep rain dance teams.Pursuit would help against Gengar.

What do you think?

One major problem with a Rain Dance team, electricity. I know you've got a theme here but I think you need a revenge killer to pulp those electrical types that are going to enjoy your line up? My suggestion is advice given to me that helps me no end.

Physical Sweeper / Revenge Killer
Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Areana Trap
EV: 252 ATK / 252 SPD / 6 HP
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
-Aerial Ace

Dugtrio may be UU and I gather that this team plays in OU, but he's there to do a job that the rest of your team will fail to do. However they do pretty much everything else so using Dug to fix one major hazard will be no real loss, as it is unlikely to see two electric types. Once a pesky electric type pops in a OHKO's a Poke, switch in Dug to trap em and take care with one Earthquake. Dug's pretty fast so you shouldn't have to much problem in getting out the quake. Aerial ace can do the same thing against a Grass type if you don't want to bring in too many new Pokes for the same job.

Never played with a weather effect specialty team so take my advice as trying to cover all angles rather than telling you that your doing it wrong. Nice team though I reckon.

To be honest, 4th gen Weather teams are hard to rate since they're all so similar. Basically all of them have Kabutops, Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Rotom. Most of them have Scizor as well. The only real anomaly is your Crobat lead, and he's fine. I can nitpick a bit though.

Try giving your Scizor a Damp Rock and Rain Dance, probably over Pursuit. Ghosts don't really bother your team, and most Rain teams have three dedicated Weather inducers. He's a less effective revenge killer, but Rain Teams don't really need one and the rest of your team really benefits. If you do so, you could remove Rain Dance from either Kingdra or Ludicolo in favor of another move.

MaverickMeerkat suggested a Dugtrio, and I thought I could give some additional explaination behind that. Rain Dance teams' biggest problem is pokemon who remove rain, most notably Tyranitar. Dugtrio can come in on T-Tar after a KO and remove it with Earthquake, making sure your Rain goes unhindered for the remainder of the match. If you use it, I'd put it over Scizor or Rotom. Your team isn't particularly bothered by Electric types, but it can deftly handle those too.

Dugtrio@Life Orb/Damp Rock
Jolly Nature, 252Att/4SpD/252Spe
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Rain Dance
Sucker Punch/Night Slash

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Damn, forgot that Dug can learn Rain Dance. Seems odd as I can't see him dancing too well. Mind you, there aren't many Pokes that can't Rain Dance.

So I second the Rain Dance Dugtrio.

One major problem with a Rain Dance team, electricity. I know you've got a theme here but I think you need a revenge killer to pulp those electrical types that are going to enjoy your line up? My suggestion is advice given to me that helps me no end.

Physical Sweeper / Revenge Killer
Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Areana Trap
EV: 252 ATK / 252 SPD / 6 HP
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
-Aerial Ace

Dugtrio may be UU and I gather that this team plays in OU, but he's there to do a job that the rest of your team will fail to do. However they do pretty much everything else so using Dug to fix one major hazard will be no real loss, as it is unlikely to see two electric types. Once a pesky electric type pops in a OHKO's a Poke, switch in Dug to trap em and take care with one Earthquake. Dug's pretty fast so you shouldn't have to much problem in getting out the quake. Aerial ace can do the same thing against a Grass type if you don't want to bring in too many new Pokes for the same job.
I agree with adding Dugtrio.As you said,Dugtrio can make a great electric immunity and threat to any electric type.

To be honest, 4th gen Weather teams are hard to rate since they're all so similar. Basically all of them have Kabutops, Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Rotom. Most of them have Scizor as well. The only real anomaly is your Crobat lead, and he's fine. I can nitpick a bit though.
Crobat's speed is mainly why I chose him.He's one of the fastest Hypnosis users.He can taunt other pokemon easily and get rain dance up fast.What pokemon would you recommend?

Try giving your Scizor a Damp Rock and Rain Dance, probably over Pursuit. Ghosts don't really bother your team, and most Rain teams have three dedicated Weather inducers. He's a less effective revenge killer, but Rain Teams don't really need one and the rest of your team really benefits. If you do so, you could remove Rain Dance from either Kingdra or Ludicolo in favor of another move.
Rain Dance on Scizor doesn't sound too bad actually.He's got the bulk to set up easily.

MaverickMeerkat suggested a Dugtrio, and I thought I could give some additional explaination behind that. Rain Dance teams' biggest problem is pokemon who remove rain, most notably Tyranitar. Dugtrio can come in on T-Tar after a KO and remove it with Earthquake, making sure your Rain goes unhindered for the remainder of the match. If you use it, I'd put it over Scizor or Rotom. Your team isn't particularly bothered by Electric types, but it can deftly handle those too.

Dugtrio@Life Orb/Damp Rock
Jolly Nature, 252Att/4SpD/252Spe
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Rain Dance
Sucker Punch/Night Slash

I hope that helps. Good luck!
I added Scizor to my team mainly for a Tyranitar/Abomasnow counter.Dugtrio would work as well since it can take out Tyranitar and adds a electric immunity.I'm not sure which one I'd replace him for if I do use though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)