5th Generation Stall

Since the time I began competitive Pokemon, I have always enjoyed stall teams. They turn the pace of the game into something slow, calculated, and drawn-out; something I enjoy greatly. When 5th gen came out, I was eager to see what new assets arose for an avid stall user. Unfortunately, the general game became extremely anti-stall. New threats arose which could annihilate even the toughest stall threats with ease. But in this game of abused weather and stat boosters, I have done my best give stall a glimmer of hope.

The Team

Picard (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

The lead of my team and the first part of my core, Hippowdon serves many roles, including some new ones since last generation. His move set is standard from previous generations. Stealth rock provides needed residual damage, while roar helps to amplify that damage. Earthquake is quite useful in removing the threat of Excadrill, and Sand Stream can keep weather in check, as well as provide damage to enemy teams.

Hippowdon’s stats are also quite standard. As one of the main defensive walls on my tem, Hippowdon can survive most any physical attack and have room to counter.

(Borg) Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Hardy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Being the second member of my three member crew, Forretress’s main role is to lay and remove entry hazards. He also has sturdy defences that allow him to act as a physical wall as well. For his final move, I picked Volt Switch so that he can escape and be used again without the threat of being forced to stay in. As he is vital to the team, I can’t allow him to die.

(Considering changing to Ferrothorn for Jellicent Ferrothorn core)

Beverly (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Protect

The last and favorite member of my core, Blissey has been a personal favorite since she came into being. Maybe it’s the joy of seeing my opponent rip their hair out at the inability to kill her. Anyway, with the new way that wish works, Blissey provides excellent wish support to the entirety of my team. She can also provide residual damage with toxic and protect. Protect also allows her to scout (sort of). For the last move, I chose flamethrower over seismic toss or ice beam because of its ability to hit Scizor, Excadrill, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. Scizor is like the flagship of 5th generation, and can be quite threatening to the team. Blissey can hit a Scizor hard that switches in, hoping for an easy swords dance. Moreover, Excadrill, who benefits from the sand storm, can be double checked. Lastly, Forretress and Ferrothron, which are difficult and common physical walls to deal with, are minimized as a threat.

Tribble (Whimsicott) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Taunt
-Worry Seed

This is a new attempt on my team, and he still requires more testing before I decide the verdict to keep him or not (See additional comments bellow for potential team switch-around). I really enjoy the priority encore, which can force switches, causing damage with spikes, or allow me to set up (to a degree). Although he has the stats of a physical wall, I don’t rely on him much for that purpose because his role is very unique, and I can’t just go throwing him around like fodder. Whimsicott also has a priority leech seed, which I use greatly to my advantage, as it acts to further wear down the opposing team. Taunt stops Pokemon, such as Forretress, who try to set up on Whimsicott. Finally, in a game full of reliance on abilities such as wonder guard or shadow tag, I decided to use Worry Seed, which will effectively neutralize any advantage the opponent may have with ability. Finally, Because Whimsicott has no attacking moves, I gave him 0 Atk IVs so that he does less damage to himself if he ever becomes confused.

Zindi (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp

Ah, Jellicent, a general wall with two immunities, it’s no wonder he’s a greatly loved ghost type, supreme for rapid spin block. I’ve given him a pretty standard set. Scald and Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers, as well as providing some residual damage. Ice beam takes care of common threats of grass and dragon typing.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Recover

One of the newer additions to my team, Quagsire is able to effectively counter most of the stat boosting meta thanks to Unaware. Because of this, he can quite easily stat boost with curse and then hit hard with Earthquake and Stone edge. His stats are geared toward SDef because Curse will raise Def quite quickly, making him a more balanced wall. Forretress works well with him because he can clear and provide entry hazards to make Quagsire’s attacks more formidable.

Possible changes of removing Whimsicott and Forretress, for these two:

Enterprise (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roar
- Spikes
- Roost

Skarmory, the favorite physical wall for such a long time, I’d like to see if I can get him onto this team. His synergy with Blissey can create a formidable collection of difficulties for the other team. The set is quite standard. Roar to provide residual damage, Brave bird to deal with Grass types and other threats, and then of course, roost in order to recover. Spikes is needed as well to replace what was lost from Forretress.

Number 1 (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Another stall-veteran, Tentacruel is another pokemon that I’d like to see come back on this team. His ability to place and remove toxic spikes, as well as rapid spin is redoubtable. He also has enough special attack to deal with common threats. If he were to come back on the team, I would replace Jellicent’s move set to remove Icebeam and replace it with another move to cover more stats.

Anyway, that’s the team. At the moment, it’s very newly built, and so any constructive criticism (with explanation) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks bunches.

I think on Whimsicott, it might be more helpful to have Substitute over Worry Seed for the purpose of subseeding, which is what Whimsicott is great for. I don't think you should be worried about, as you said you were, Shadow Tag because Wobuffet is afraid of Taunt, and Leech Seed will take care of Shedininja's Wonder Gaurd. Also you do not want your Forretress to be a hardy nature. On Jellicent, those 44 Speed Evs are usually run for Taunting things, however, since you have no Taunt on your moveset, I would add more bulk. But I would put on Taunt, it works wonders, teams that rely on skarmbliss and other good slow Pokemon on completely screwed over by it. For your possible changes, I would not put in Skarmory in place of Forretress, because you still want the Toxic Spikes and the Rapid spinning Whimsicott, Quagsire, and Jellicent. I would say that Rapid Spinning is a necessity for this team. If you are going to put one of these pokemon in, I would put them both in and take out Forretress and Whimsicott. Nice team.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This team looks weak to sun. Whimsicott is clearly the weak link of the team. I suggest running Heatran @ Air Balloon, Calm, 252 Hp/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def, Lava Plume, Toxic, Protect, Roar.

Hippowdon is a very shaky check to sand teams, and his Sand Stream support is more detrimental to a stall team than beneficial. Back in 4th gen, Obistall worked because Sand Stream weak pokes didn't mind the passive damage too much. But with power creep, you need every bit of HP you can get. I suggest running that Skarmory of yours over Hippo.

Your team has no way of dealing with opposing Stall teams, run Taunt over Ice Beam on Jellicent to alleviate that problem.

Lastly, Forretress has now become dispensable, the only assets it brings to the table are Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin. Nobody on your team is weak to Stealth Rock and everyone has reliable recovery bar Heatran for Spikes damage, so its not that big an issue. The only hazard you must deal with is Toxic Spikes. Roserade absorbs it upon entry and also sets up Toxic Spikes for you! I suggest using a Sub Seeder, you can fill Whimsicott's role as well, while giving you an additional fighting resist. Its also surprisingly bulky on the special side Roserade @ Black Sludge, Bold, 252 Hp/ 252 SpD/ 4 Spe, Toxic Spikes, Leech Seed, Substitute, Giga Drain/ Sludge Bomb.

If you find Roserade underwhelming, you could always just use that Tentacruel of yours.

Mfhoundoom and New World Order, thanks for the suggestions. I realize now that Whimsicott is the weakness of my team, and so I am going to switch him out for Tentacruel so that I may also have a rapid spinner. Moreover, I'm going to try getting rid of Hippowdon, and switch him out for my Skarmory, giving me the Skarmbliss combo. I see the weakness to sun teams, and so I took the suggestion with Heatran, with a few changes. I gave him a set with Lava Plume, Stealth Rock, Protect, and Roar so that I can still set up all the spikes in the world. Also, I gave Jellicent Taunt, in hopes to make the team a little more balanced. I'll start play testing now.

But now you have two Rapid Spinners and Toxic Spikers. Maybe you should switch out Whimsicott, Hippowdon, AND Forretress, bring in those two, and add another Pokemon that can be helpful to your team, possibly a nice Heal Beller or whatever you think would fit.

I'll post an updated team later. I don't have two of each. It's Skarmory, Blissey, Jellicent, Quagsire, Heatran, and Tentacruel.

I'm really new to the scene here, so forgive me if i'm wrong, but I thought one of the main attractions of scald was the chance to burn the opponent. So, it may be redundant to use scald and will-o-wisp on jellicent. That could open up a moveslot for something else that may be helpful.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just saying, but I'd consider running a rain stall team instead of sand if you choose to use Tentacruel, as Rain Dish makes it extremely effective. Also, you seem like you may have problems with Latios/Reuniclus, so I think Choice Band Tyranitar would serve a much better purpose than Hippowdon, and then you could simply put Gliscor over Whimsicott, because as New World Order said, Whimsicott appears to be the weak link of the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)